Closed Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland's Teardrop

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

CivandEUIII

Oh, but that's a corollary of the laws "The Universe Is Out To Get You", and "Statistical Independence Is A Lie"!

hoi2geek

Welcome! While it's certainly a valid goal and interesting in and of itself (not to mention damn those bloody Spaniards ), for this AAR we will colonise the north American continent first

Malurous

It is a fantastic series. And Private Plane is probably my favourite episode of all of the series.

Kerry

Well put! "Election" day is a night of drunken fisticuffs and general swearing and backstabbing! But Ireland doesn't want the potato! That'll only lead to famines!
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Chapter 13: Repealing the Irish Alliance Doctrine

Only two years after having been elected as high king, Mathghamhain died while accidentally brushing his teeth with a halberd.

Aerdghal Butler, the king's former halberd-polisher, is elected as second high king of Ireland.

His attention to detail and administrative genius will be a boon for Ireland. His first order of office is to commission a tapestry map of Europe. France is defeated, its provinces taken over in large parts by Brittany and Burgundy.

Castillian diplomats bring us good news: the war against the Ashanti is won. All thanks to the Irish Alliance Doctrine.

Aerdghal's first administrative tasks is to repay the loans incurred from the war against England. Once these are paid off, Ireland can again focus on the outside world.

More Castillian diplomats bring more maps, and more places we have never heard of.

This time it's against a country called Kongo. Castillian diplomats helpfully write "KONGO" onto an otherwise empty parchment. "This is where you will need to send your troops to help us in our war", they say. "Of course we will", the king answers. And then does exactly nothing.

Aerdghal Butler also has the chance to support a new philosophy and art: the Renaissance. Ireland is still starved for philosophers after the transition to a republic killing all native philosophers in its wake. New artists and free men are encouraged to work in Ireland.

In 1471, king Louis-Joseph I of Burgundy is elected Holy Roman Emperor. A political maneouvre that will help us immensely in later years.

A merchant bequeaths the state a handsome amount of money. Money that will be dearly needed...

...because Northumberland, our ally, is calling, nay crying for help: The English have attacked! For once, the Irish Alliance Doctrine reaches its limits: Northumberland is a country we actually care about to survive, and is arquebus fodder if we can't help them.

Irish troops board ships and for the first time in history, the Irish Alliance Doctrine is not followed. How will these troops fare? Can Ireland protect Northumberland against the English hordes? See for yourself, next time on Ireland's Teardrop!
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Darkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Blog Entries
    Where in the North American continent will you colonize(preferably a stretch from Labrador to South Carolina)?

Also, I suggest that to beat the Spanish to the Philippines, you must start with that first, before going to North America. It looks like the Spaniards are inching closer and closer to the Philippines (by sailing through Africa), so we need to go the other direction to surprise them.
    HoI2Geek/IEPH, The Greatest Man in the Universe

My Mods and AARs (currently active): IG(Mod), PNW II(Mod), RotE - tRB(AAR)

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana

"Ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay hindi makararating sa paroroonan."(One who does not learn to look back to where he came from, will never get to where he is going.) -Filipino proverb

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

It's a shame that noble republics don't give their rulers regnal initials. It doesn't seem very noble to me.
    Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Ancestor Moth scribe for CK 2: Elder Kings - can you rival Tiber Septim's power?
    Burgundy: A Dream of Lotharingia (a Death & Taxes AAR - in torpor)
    The Three Certainties of Life (a Byzantine D&T AAR - updated 19.02.14)

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

hints of the terrible end of so many Crovans with the demise of Mathghamhain there. Ireland repaying its debts and taking a call to arms seriously ... my, things are a changing these days.
    Remember, whatever the question, the answer on 18 September is Yes ...

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

What?!? No Irish Alliance Doctrine? What is this world coming to...

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    Castillian diplomats helpfully write "KONGO" onto an otherwise empty parchment. "This is where you will need to send your troops to help us in our war", they say.
    This is exactly the kind of situation where the "rofl" smiley is dearly missed.

Malurous

It is a fantastic series. And Private Plane is probably my favourite episode of all of the series.
    I realize this might tell too much about me as a person, but Lord Flashheart is one of my favorite fictional characters, like, anywhere.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2

The Butler did it. Ha! Just realized that.

Modern Psycho-General CivandEUIII's Avatar
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by GulMacet View Post
    The Butler did it. Ha! Just realized that.
    Butler in the Throne Room with the Halberd

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "I pity the fool who has to fill out 272 years of Indian history." - Cuthuthulu
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat
    "
    This ascii art is terrible." - Jacob Braughton on titin

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

That Renaissance decision is pretty slick; is that new to this most recent beta of DW? It's been a while since I've started a game from scratch.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have finished, check out the winners!! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

hoi2geek

We will colonise all of north America, of course!

Arakhor

True, that. Mathghamhain still had his regnal number from the time he was king, but the new king Aerdgard doesn't have it any more

loki100

Alfred Packer's Crovan AARs and (again) Blackadder were my inspiration for all Irish king's demises. Plus, Ireland in the middle ages was a country constantly fighting -- if not against others, then at least against themselves!

Malurous

Oh, don't you worry about your choice in fictional characters! In fact, The squadron commander lord Flashheart is one of my favourite characters of all time as well. Woof, woof!

GulMacet, CivandEUIII

Indeed, the Butler did it. The name was an added bonus!

Avindian

To be honest, I don't know. The decision has been in since DW I believe.

--

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Puh, ignorants!
    The Butlers were the Earls, later Dukes, of Ormond, and, funnily enough, hereditary High Butlers of Ireland. Halberd polisher...
    If memory serves right they at some stage acquired the right to the custom fees for all wine imports to Ireland.
    "Verteidiger des wahren Forums! Orden erster Klasse"

EU III IN AAR Sizilien - Aufgegeben aus Mangel an Interesse
    Die Geschichte der Niederlande - ein EU III IN AAR. Aufgegeben aus Mangel an Interesse und save game Problem

Thanks, PI and Gamersgate, for a free copy of Crusader Kings Complete

Looking for a fountain of Beamish in the Low Countries

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Puh, ignorants!
    The Butlers were the Earls, later Dukes, of Ormond, and, funnily enough, hereditary High Butlers of Ireland. Halberd polisher...
    If memory serves right they at some stage acquired the right to the custom fees for all wine imports to Ireland.
    unraveling the story of Butler's rise to power one step at a time

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat
    "

Cities in MotionDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Semper FiSword of the StarsEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Ehm, the precise name should be Pico della Mirandola ...
    Visit the MAARquesate of Mantua! Faith in Power (WoW 30-3-2003)
    From the Tower of Belem: A Portuguese AAR (WoW 7-11-2004)
    Know my land's history with "The Apulian Persons Project" EU2 Victoria Crusader Kings (WoW 9-5-2010) EU3

“Coelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt” - Horace
    (His heaven above the traveller may change, but not the soul within)

Kerry

Ah, so they were hereditary butlers? Not much social mobility in Ireland, eh? And they must have been pretty tall, if they were called high butlers...

CivandEUIII

Indeed, fascinating stuff you learn from AARs!

Hastu Neon

Yep, this is a bug that has already been reported.

--

Chapter 14: Northumberland and Ireland united against a common enemy

With Irish troops now committed to the conflict, we naturally assume leadership over all peace negotiations. England will have to deal with us!

The English waste no time and invade Northumberland. Luckily, the Scots are already lending a helping Braveheart.

A new admiral is promoted and instructed to get our fleet ready for action.

We appoint out finest general (with a useless shock rating) to lead our expeditionary forces.

And then -- this! We're supposed to be the leaders here, how dare the Northumbrians make peace behind our back? We're busy shipping our troops, at least have the decency to wait until our help has arrived!

Our troops arrive too late, but intercept the English in Cumbria.

Somehow, the battle is decidedly not going in our favour... And now we can see why the Northumbrians were so eager to make peace -- the English king, Charles I, is a god on the battlefield! He's single-handedly mowing down our troops. Our cavalry flanks are already obliterated.

We order an immediate retreat into Scotland. Our navy is sent out into the Irish sea to be able to pick up the remains of our army. It had hidden in the ports form the Royal Navy, but now we need to take the risks of naval battle.

But Charles I is no fool, he immediately pursues our troops into Scotland to force a decisive battle. Oh dear, can we retreat before our troops are overrun? Charles I is relentless! We should have just sticked to our Irish Alliance Doctrine...

We lose the battle, and a few remaining men manage to flee the battlefield.

We manage to salvage the situation and the last remaining men are smuggled onto Irish ships at night.

They are shipped to Ireland and arrive safely. of the 10,000 men sent out to help Northumberland following the New Irish Alliance Doctrine, only 1780 men return. 8,220 Irishmen died in the Cumbrian fields, fighting the English. Great sorrow and mourning overcomes the nation.

And then, this:

Those thieving, good-for-nothing, conniving, backstabbing bastards! Northumberland is the reason we overthrew the Old Irish Alliance Doctrine and established the New Irish Alliance Doctrine (which has failed spectacularly)!

What will happen now? Can Ireland fight the military genius of Charles I? How will the nation react, knowing that it is now fighting the very nation is was sent out to protect? How can the Northumbrians sleep at night? Don't they have any conscience? The next update will show!
    Last edited by safferli; 02-11-2011 at 15:59.

--

We have now passed 10,000 views! Thank you everyone for your support and for reading this! I hope it's entertaining, and that a few minutes of your day are made more enjoyable by it. I enjoy writing this, especially for such a great audience. Lots of things I've learnt from you guys/gals, so a big thank you from me for everything!

--

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Those dirty Northumbrians! (Must be due to being based in Yorkshire, rather than Northumberland!)
    Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Ancestor Moth scribe for CK 2: Elder Kings - can you rival Tiber Septim's power?
    Burgundy: A Dream of Lotharingia (a Death & Taxes AAR - in torpor)
    The Three Certainties of Life (a Byzantine D&T AAR - updated 19.02.14)

Oh dear. Ireland's end?
    please not please not please not...

"
    "

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

A clever bit of treachery by the AI; I didn't know it had it in them! Granted, it was a vassal, but still, it's not a move you normally see. I wonder why the Royal Navy was nowhere to be seen in your 15th century Dunkirk?
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have finished, check out the winners!! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Excellent update! Charles I is a monster for the 15th century. Too often my MIL 8 leaders have 5 fire and 1 shock rating in 1410, which is utterly useless!
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast