Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland's Teardrop

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Ooooh, lots of comments! It seems the nascent war against the English is stirring up patriotic sentiments!

damnt512

Yes! We will! With fire and sword! And... err... caution...

loki100

Yes, we'll have to be a wee more active... but we cannot afford to do so yet, from the state of the treasury. You'll see tomorrow...

Arakhor

Oh, yes, I crop all images because I think it's easier to see what happens then. Downside of course it that the dates get lost. The election of Jean II as HRE was 1424, the CtA was 1430. I usually play on fastest speed and things just rush on!

CivandEUIII

Oh, even the peasants get tapestries! In fact, a law was made forcing all tax payers to pay half of their taxes in tapestries to promote the Irish tapestry industry.

Hastu Neon

An excellent analysis of the situation -- without further landings, getting Meath off the English will be difficult. But at this point, anything that weakens the English is good for me. We're not fully ready yet for a war, so as long as our alliance "wins" the war, that's fine by me. Anything beyond that is just added bonus. I'd like to keep England's WE as high as possible.

tamius23

Thanks, we'll need it!

Monzon

And thanks to you as well, we need all the support we can get!

Avindian

Well, it's a good opportunity, but you forget one thing: our economy is still in shambles. We cannot afford mercenaries, or troops. With some more income, we could easily double our forces (currently 6k) and have options to actually fight the English. I do agree that the alliance is good, and I will do anything to keep Castille in an alliance.

Sweboy

Hm, I am no expert in spying. But I think it would have been possible to rebel Meath away from the English (svip would know more ). Two things make this impossible currently: a) we have no cash. Patriot-rebel spying is expensive. Without trading we can never afford it. b) we lack spies. We're going Free Trade and it's still a long way to go to Plutocracy. So even if we had money, we'd still need spies. This game will be played without spies, at least until the unification of Ireland.

Jstebby

Oh yes, I am willing to sacrifice anything to keep this alliance. It's the best chance I have of fighting the English short of an additional alliance with a stronger Scottish nation. I'm paying double attention to the CtA area bottom left, I usually miss the calls in my games. I wish the devs would make the CtA as a popup-and-pause message

EktorGomes

Thank you very much for your kind words and welcome!

Kerry

Nice idea, but I'm very bad at modding. Tapestries will hopefully soon become a luxury good, once we start trading proper

Concrete

Oh, you're right! I never really thought about this from that angle. But generally speaking, Castille is stronger than Aragon, especially because Aragon has already lost an earlier war against France, ceding two provinces.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    Ooooh, lots of comments! It seems the nascent war against the English is stirring up patriotic sentiments!
    Jstebby
    Oh yes, I am willing to sacrifice anything to keep this alliance. It's the best chance I have of fighting the English short of an additional alliance with a stronger Scottish nation. I'm paying double attention to the CtA area bottom left, I usually miss the calls in my games. I wish the devs would make the CtA as a popup-and-pause message
    Are you aware you can actually modify your messages to your hearts content (Menu, Message settings) and have the CtA's popup-and-pause?

(Subscribed. I *love* Ireland games.)

Modern Psycho-General CivandEUIII's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

CivandEUIII

Oh, even the peasants get tapestries! In fact, a law was made forcing all tax payers to pay half of their taxes in tapestries to promote the Irish tapestry industry.
    Allow them to keep some, or would that enable tax evasion?

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "I pity the fool who has to fill out 272 years of Indian history." - Cuthuthulu
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat
    "
    This ascii art is terrible." - Jacob Braughton on titin

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Ah well, there is nothing like a pre-breakfast bout against the English to start the day .
    But I think this is a common European reflection, it certainly applies to the Irish, some Scots, the French (unless they start fighting their Eastern neighbour), the Dutch (well, they used to, back when they had a proper navy), the Germans (whom wouldn't the Germans fight if they had the chance?)... I could go on and on
    Looking forward to the update!
    "Verteidiger des wahren Forums! Orden erster Klasse"

EU III IN AAR Sizilien - Aufgegeben aus Mangel an Interesse
    Die Geschichte der Niederlande - ein EU III IN AAR. Aufgegeben aus Mangel an Interesse und save game Problem

Thanks, PI and Gamersgate, for a free copy of Crusader Kings Complete

Looking for a fountain of Beamish in the Low Countries

Blog Entries
    the_turtle

Actually, no, I wasn't... I never checked the message settings... Thank you so much, this'll help me sooo much in all my games! Good to have on board!

CivandEUIII

In forcing tax payments to be in tapestries, we support the Irish tapestry industry. Tax evasion has nothing to do with it, it's a hidden subsidy.

Kerry

Hehe, plenty of targets then, I guess! Update is following... now!
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Blog Entries
    So many comments, rooting for little Munster... I hope this update is not too much of a let-down for all of you! We're still too weak to be able to leave the island, the Royal Navy would crush us instantly.

Chapter 6: War against the English

Well, as I said, it's nice to be poor, and small. Other countries ignore you when your badboy scum. Also, they shower you with gifts when you're actually fighting a war! Thank you Castille, that is actually very welcome!

Our income rises considerably, we now have a yearly gain of nearly 60, at full army maintenance even!

Our plan is to siege Meath, and otherwise stay low. If England lands troops, we will quickly raise mercenaries and fight them. There is no point in leaving our island, as our four zero-maintenance cogs would be instantly shredded to bits by the Royal Navy of over 40 big ships. Plus, with four cogs, we cannot hope to ferry enough troops over to England to make a difference in the fight. Not that we even have enough troops to make a difference! Note that from the last update, an attentive reader might have already seen that England has picked National Bank as first NI, not Military Drill. That is going to save our hides! (Scotland did pick Military Drill as their first NI).

As usual, the Irish will follow their alliance doctrine of doing nothing outside of their own island. It's a tried, tested, and very successful doctrine so far!

This is a event you do not want to get... A choice between losing lots of cash, or two stability. We pick the cash option, losing all of our nice, hard-fought-for war subsidies. With hindsight, picking the stability option might have been better to not lose the inflation-free war subsidies cash. Or well, you live and learn.

The war drags on, and we have good news. Our BB is 9.3, which is about enough to be able to trade profitably. A 42% chance against Holland is good enough for me. Merchants are sent out to the most valuable CoTs in reach.

Scotland was also busy fighting the English, in the typical AI-dogpile fashion. In fact, I think it was Scotland that was attacked by England, somehow pulling in Castille. But who knows in this European web of alliances and guarantees that us Irish cannot hope to understand? Scotland peaces out and wins one of their home provinces back. Good news!

Scotland offers us an alliance afterwards, which we eagerly accept. We now have the two countries that can be a threat to England as allies. Castille will provide the navy, and Scotland the army to fight the English.

And, as many posters here might have feared, Castille peaces out on England giving Ireland nothing. Nothing but the first victory against England that is! Many more are still needed, to rid of the red menace to the East...

With peace arrived, trading becomes ever more lucrative. We switch our NI to National Trade Policy, increasing our income by a large amount. Easily over 80% of our income is from trade by now.

An overview of Europe, and France especially. We won't be able to count on France to help us against England! At least we now have Scotland to help us fight land wars.

Castille needs our (obviously immensely valuable, otherwise they wouldn't keep asking for it) help against Croatia. We naturally accept, and follow our doctrine of doing nothing.

Europe without France. Brittany took over the Normandy provinces, and is now pretty strong. We sill have our RM up with them, and are on good terms with them.

Another heir falls ill. This time we could afford a medicus, but we're too thrifty to do so.

Also, now that trade income is filling our coffers, we can afford a 4-star diplomat advisor to help us burn our BB, and ultimately trade more efficiently.

But before you all despair and complain that the Irish are not their usual aggressive self, have no fear. A Scottish diplomat knocks at the door and requests help against the English. Onwards, we have a province to conquer!

Will Munster finally conquer Meath? The income situation is more favourable, but we still don't have any navy to ferry troops across. Be sure to check back for the next update, to find out!

--

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Chalk me up as one of those who didn't realise you can modify the CtA settings.

Nice update, Safferli. I'm not really surprised that Donnchad died of a fever in wet, windy Ireland - reaching the age of 46 without ever being King would rather take it out of you!
    Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Ancestor Moth scribe for CK 2: Elder Kings - can you rival Tiber Septim's power?
    Burgundy: A Dream of Lotharingia (a Death & Taxes AAR - in torpor)
    The Three Certainties of Life (a Byzantine D&T AAR - updated 19.02.14)

Indefatigable Psychotic tamius23's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

I was just looking at the map and I noticed that the Channel Islands aren't French like in vanilla. Phew.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Ah, the trading game has started. That makes such a difference with these smaller countries.

Also, good to see that England's current allies are pretty useless.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

I've never meddled much with trade in DW -- I usually just build massive Empires and trade in my own COTs. You've actually shown me it can be kind of exciting to be poor, though, and the power of infamy vis a vis trade is something I've never considered. As with all AARs, I've learned something!
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q2 ACAs here! Be sure to check out the winners! Crusader Kings II|Europa Universalis IV|Victoria II|Hearts of Iron 3|Darkest Hour

Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

You shoudln't occupy Meath, you should put rebels there while the english are away, yo'ull never get the warscore needed if you just sit around in Irelad.

NOP-field present Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I'm happy that Ireland survived it's first war with England unscathed. Had a lot to do with them being too busy to turn their attention to that small, insignificant island west of them of course.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by EktorGomes View Post
    You shoudln't occupy Meath, you should put rebels there while the english are away, yo'ull never get the warscore needed if you just sit around in Irelad.
    It seems like my cunning suggestion wasn't that bad after all.

Blog Entries
    Arakhor

It must be the good whiskey that kept him alive all those years!

tamius23

Yes, the DAO lite map is very neat. I think it's based off the V2 map. I have a nagging feeling that the Mamluk/Ottoman provinces are too rich for my taste, but that's the price you pay if you play a mod called "Delvet i-Ali Osman"...

Malurous

Oh yes, even for larger countries trading is essential. I love trading Good thing about the allies, as we're going to need the best allies we can get to beat England!

Avindian

Nice! As you can see (or will see later on), trading is pretty much essential. Especially for smaller countries, trade income will eclipse all other income by several orders of magnitudes, at least until you colonise. And even then, it's still at least one order of magnitude.

EktorGomes

Yes, rebels are the best idea, but I have neither the spies, nor the money to fund them

Qorten

Oh yes, and I am hoping that it will stay that way for quite a while longer!

Sweboy

Oh, it was an excellent suggestion! It just occurred to be, I could have NI-switched Espionage to get some spies, and planted the rebels in Meath. That would actually be quite feasible, as stability is dirt-cheap still.

--

Blog Entries
    Chapter 7: A sense of déjà-vu

So, our second war against England. We're still a little weak to land invasions on the English shores proper. So, first let's see how England looks. WE is relatively high, they have no military advsors nor NIs. So, for now we'll stick to the Irish Alliance Doctrine: We move our army into Meath, siege the province and then... do nothing.

Our fleet is ready, and we reap the benefits of the overly powerful mission. That reminds me, I have to re-do that mod...

Don't get your hopes too high, though. Our grand Irish fleet consists of four (4), hastily constructed and ramshackled cogs.

Meanwhile, Conchobhar III dies while accidentally brutally combing his hair. He is thrown into a cask of whiskey and buried the tradional way of all Irish kings since Turlough III.

Celebrating the coronation, Scotlands sends over casks of whisky themselves. We sell them to Germans and cash in.

During the war, we get another chance to shape our nation. Mathghamhain I continues the policies of his predecessors. Free Trade is still the order of the day.

Scotland accepts a peace offer from England, and decide not to press the war further. Given that they do not have a valid Reconquest CB, perhaps not such a bad move.

An overview of England with Scotland now out of the war. The Lincoln enclave is part of a Scottish strategic masterplan, so cunning that no-one (not even the Scots) understand it. I'm sure.

One of my most hated events, especially since it fires so often. And you can chose between stabbing yourself in the eye, or cutting your right arm off. We chose the eye-stabbing part, as eyes grow back quickly as long as we're small.

With Scotland out of the war, we extend our Irish Alliance Doctrine a bit: Our fleet sees an easy prey, two English cogs. We sortie, and put the admiral we got from the mission to good use. Two freshly constructed carracks and four cogs intercept the two English ships. Our first naval victory! Hastily, the shot down and badly raked Munster fleet flees into the nearest port. Before the English Royal Navy arrives...

Shocked from the naval defeat, England offers a White Peace. We eagerly accept, as we don't want to fight the English alone. Without the Scots, there is no-one who distracts the English hordes. They might get restless and land in Ireland...

The Irish populace (and the forum populace no doubt as well!) are enraged. Two wars against the English, no defeat, and we still haven't conquered Meath. An angry mob gathers before the castle, wades through piles of tapestries, and voices their concerns. King Mathghamhain accepts, and assures everyone that he will conquer Meath in the next war.

Another war, and still no Meath. But this is about to change... the Irish nationalism movement is stronger than never. Can king Mathghamhain I finally unite the island and proclaim himself Ard Rí na hÉireann?
    Last edited by safferli; 17-10-2011 at 16:42.

--

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Great update! Playing an Irish minor is all about balancing off against the might of England.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Remember in DW you can call allies. After Scotland called you into the war, you could have called Castille.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
    -George Orwell

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

very very impressed you managed a naval victory ... somewhat disturbed to see Scotland in East Anglia -I'm sure it made sense when the negotiators were on the bevvy but in the cold light of day?

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

The great part is that England keeps losing land in a situation where they'd typically be expected to gain it.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast