Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland's Teardrop

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Ireland's Teardrop

I can think of no other edifice constructed by man as altruistic as a lighthouse.
    They were built only to serve.
    -- George Bernhard Shaw

Welcome to my new AAR; it will be a short one. The inspiration to the title and the country came while reading Atlantic: A Vast Ocean of a Million Stories, by Simon Winchester. Fastnet lighthouse, or An Charraig Aonair as the Irish name (meaning "the rock that stands alone"), Hvastann-ey in Old Norse ("Sharp-Toothed Island"), is located on the south-western tip of Ireland. It was the passing point of virtually all ships leaving the UK to sail to the USA. As it was the last glimpse of home soil that Irish emigrants saw, the name "Ireland's Teardrop" stuck. A last good-bye, a last tear when leaving friends, family, history, and their roots behind, in search of a better future in the New World.

I will be playing Munster, the EU3 home country of this rock. The object is (of course) to unite Ireland, and then start on a colonisation game -- simulating the emigrants that left Ireland.
    • game: EU3:DW, patch 5.1
    • mods:
    • objects: unite Ireland and then colonise the entire North American continent
    • rules:
      • no obvious cheating, save/reloads, etc. (full disclosure: this AAR took about 5 complete re-starts to unify Ireland)
      • I may only take QftNW as fifth NI (Gov tech 22, historical year 1565)
    • settings: low AI aggressiveness, no lucky nations, spread of land provinces 75 years

Table of Contents
    Chapter 1: First Moves
    Chapter 2: Badboy Scum
    Chapter 3: Peace, flowers, and pancakes
    Chapter 4: Steadily, carefully, and slowly
    Chapter 5: Onwards, towards England!
    Chapter 6: War against the English
    Chapter 7: A sense of dj-vu
    Chapter 8: Good things come to those who wait
    Chapter 9: Once more, dear friends, once more!
    Chapter 10: Friends in need...
    Chapter 11: Eireann go Brach!
    Chapter 12: Damn, featureless deserts
    Chapter 13: Repealing the Irish Alliance Doctrine
    Chapter 14: Northumberland and Ireland united against a common enemy
    Chapter 15: Northumberland and England united against a common enemy
    Chapter 16: Outmanoeuvring Charles I
    Chapter 17: Second Battle of Cumbria
    Chapter 19: Exploits galore!
    Chapter 20: Why does that Welsh flag have my mother-in-law on it?
    Chapter 21: Mistakes are made...
    Chapter 22: Nudges, and crossroads
    Chapter 23: Early war catastrophes... ahem... incidents
    Last edited by safferli; 05-12-2011 at 22:30.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Chapter 1: First moves

This is Ireland, Munster is the province in the Southwest. To the North, we border Connaught and to the East Leinster. Ulster is the other remaining free Irish province, and Meath is the last remaining Irish province, currently in English Hands. Damn Strongbow!

Our country is not much to write home about. A max manpower of just 1,000, and not even that is currently available. We must grow to greatness and unite Ireland, by force. With normal troops out of the question, the king enlists the help of 1,000 mercenary cavalrymen.

Also, before the grand game starts, the possibility to shape the country is offered to the king. We chose to move towards more Free Trade. We have heard of the untold riches of trade, and we desperately need those riches! Even with our aggressive expansion policy limiting our trade trade for decades to come, setting the country on a trading path is a long-term process. We'd better start now!

Plus, we get a 33% chance of a nice advisor that can be sold off into slavery. Lucky us, we get such an advisor.

This is the state of the court, three advisors of middling competence. While they are eager to assist us in the courtroom, they do not know what we have in mind for them, yet. They will all be sold into slavery, as that is the only source of income for a long time available to us. Plus, with our pitiful income, we cannot even afford those 3-star advisors. The monthly expenses would break our neck.

Diplomatic overtures are sent. We arrange a royal marriage with Brittany, who are of a similar culture to us. Also, insults are sent to Connaught and Ulster. Let's hope they don't put too much weight into these insults, and do not come to the only conclusion: an attack is imminent!

As soon as the mercenary cavalry regiment is raised, we DoW Connaught and take the -2 stab hit (the insult was to lower relations. All Irish kingdoms start at >100 relations, so a DoW would cost an additional stability point). The expenses are killing our treasury. But it's a price we will have to pay. If we do not take what's available of Ireland now, a web of alliances and guarantees will make conquering impossible with our joke of an army.

The army maintenance is high, and we need to take up loans (pitiful sums again, 4 or 5 ducats are all that the EFSF is willing to provide us). With the battle of Connaught won due to the power of the cavalry army, we set to siege the province. While sieging, the maintenance is reduced to the minimum. Mercenaries complain, but the king is not moved. At minimum maintenance, we can just barely afford our 2,000 men army...

Meanwhile, we spam advisors and put them up for sale in a year's time.

The first paychecks arrive in October 1400:

As soon as our manpower reaches the maximum -- 1,000 men -- we use the slavery income to buy a regiment of infantry. Loyal to the Munster crown, and less expensive than the mercenary regiments, these men will form the backbone of our army. Sadly, we cannot yet get rid of the expensive mercenary regiment. Their combat power is more than quadruple that of our normal troops.

We win the siege of Connaught after 441 arduous days.

Connaught accepts our offer (well, they cannot refuse), and Connaught is incorporated into our country, doubling our province count!

The first step towards uniting Ireland is made. But there is no rest for the Irish! The ink on the peace treaty of Connaught is not dry, and a declaration of war is sent to Ulster. Our combat-hardened troops move further north, into the lands of the kingdom of Tyrone. Will they succeed?

Last edited by safferli; 04-10-2011 at 16:25.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Indefatigable Psychotic tamius23's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India

I'll follow this.

1. I like the wiggly borders.

2. I've never spammed advisors to sell them later. Seems profitable by the looks of things.

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

interesting set of constraints you've created ... this should be fun
    Remember, whatever the question, the answer on 18 September is Yes ...

hmmm i'm subscribed
    Please Sign the Non-Steam Version Request Petition for SOTS II: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-1-post-person
    QUOTES USED IN POSTS: Always refer to the Original quote to ensure no misunderstandings occur. Click on the small arrows to do so.
    GREATEST NECRO EVER!: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post12291291

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Considering the author, I'll really have to follow this. Your Papal State AAR was at least one of the first and quite probably the first AAR that I followed from the start (I had read other stuff but had always started reading when the AAR was well under way, lagging way behind the updates). I think I commented once too, working on my single digit post count.

So, most definitely subscribed. And it's not just nostalgia either, that's a great start and Irish minors are always cool.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Subbed, haven't read an Ireland AAR before!
    Regards,
    Fylkja Ingfrid I 'the Hunter' (Ingfrid Shokshasdottir of House Ivaring)
    Empress of Scandinavia,
    Queen of Svitjod,
    High Chieftess of Svitjod,
    High Chieftess of Bergslagen,
    Daughter of Fylkja Freyja I 'the Great',
    Granddaugther of Fylkir Ivar I 'the Boneless',
    Great Granddaughter of Ragnarr Lobrk.

A true professional is someone who can do their best at a time when they don't particularly feel like it- Alistair Cooke

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

Good luck taking out Ulster...I take it the English landed another mission to keep them from the Isle?
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Really excited to follow this one; I'd especially like to see you survive for more than 50 years
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have just begun! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Wow, so many replies and expressions of interest, thank you guys (and gals)! I plan to do updates Mon-Wed-Fri, so expect the next chapter tomorrow. Meanwhile, you might like to read The Economist's Christmas article on the lighthouse. A nice read, and nothing "heavy", as it's one of the Christmas articles (which a always great to read, highly recommended each year!)

tamius23

Spamming advisors is not the best thing in terms of money -- you'll get more if you wait a bit and create better advisors. But Munster needs all the money it can get. I took 2 or 3 loans to fight the first two wars, and each loan is a pitiful 4 ducats. That's about the price of one of these 1-star advisors, so you can see that each and every bit helps!

loki100

Honoured to have you on board! The restrictions are part of how I often play the game (no colonisation at first). For the case of this AAR, they're not as binding: I want to colonise the north American continent, and in most cases only England and France are there at first. In order to guarantee Ireland's survival, you need to crush England hard, so hard it will never colonise. So that's one contender already out of the game.

Innocent Beard

Welcome, nice to have you!

Malurous

Glad to have you aboard again! My Papal States AAR was very successful it seems. So much that I am afraid I can't live up to the expectations... But I'll try my best!

Uladh88

And a warm welcome to you as well!

Oxea

Good to have you then! The idea to this AAR came about half a year back, when there were lots of "how do I survive with an Irish minor" posts in the EU3 forum. I thought, I'd just make an AAR and then refer all to it. Let's hope this one is educational, though I did miss out on taking a lot of screenshots. It's been a while since my last AAR, and you do forget to press F11 so easily!

blsteen

You're right, survival of Ireland depends a large part on when the English get their Conquer Ireland mission. With the mission overhaul mod that is no different, but it is a bit easier: The Irish mission has a slightly lower base chance, so England will go after France and Scotland first, on average. Saves a few reloads.

In this game, England got the Reconquer Normandy mission first, that held them off my back for a while.

Avindian

Hehe... I've played a bit ahead, so that I can guarantee the formation of Ireland in this AAR

--

With the war against Tyrone going flawlessly, army maintenance is again set to minimum and we allow ourselves a peek at England. Any survival ambitions we have depend on how England copes. Sooner rather than later we'll need to fight England, and we want -- no need -- strong allies and help. Scotland and France are our best hope. The more they hit England, the less we need to do it.

Erm well, Scotland seems the wrong place to look.

Yep, this is bad...

After losing the war, Scotland is looking for help against England and offers us an alliance. Oh no, we can't accept that. We need to hit England when they're distracted, and not when the Scottish AI thinks the time is right. The offer is politely refused.

All the while our troops had besieged Ulster. With the fall of the fort, Tyrone is annexed.

As you might have guessed, the last independent country left in Ireland is targeted next: Leinster. They have 2,000 men, but we have increased our army to 4,000 men by now. And no more mercenaries, they are too expensive for us and we are not yet manpower constrained. That will change once we're at war with England, though!

Sometimes, just sometimes, random events can help you. We gladly take the move to Plutocracy, a long-term goal for our slider settings.

With more provinces (even though non-cored), we have higher force limits and more income. Our yearly income is enough to support our army at minimum maintenance, with war taxes. We're on the right track!

After a quick ping-pong the Leinster army is defeated, and we lay siege to the enemy province. After 261 days the fort surrenders. Much faster than our last sieges that all lasted over 400 days. Our larger army allows us to siege fortresses faster.

We annex Leinster immediately afterwards.

But, danger looms. Our reckless expansion without any valid CB has not only greatly destabilised our country, but also racked up a large amount of Infamy. We break our BB limit with the annexation of Leinster:

It's only a bit, so we can only hope that no-one attacks us while the BB is burned off. If you examine the BB details, you'll notice that our low legitimacy (we got 20-point hits with each non-CB DoW) is a reason for the low Infamy limit. We marry off as many Irish daughters as we can find. Europe is swamped with Irish princesses named "Deirdre".

Legitimacy is rising as a result. The world begins to see our King as the legitimate R ruirech.

Can Munster survive as badboy scum? Will England attack? Find out in the next update, on Friday!

--

Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Very nice. Can't wait to see how you beat England.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
    -George Orwell

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Good stuff. Hopefully the BB burn goes without trouble. Of course, the next step is the most difficult one...

I like the simple image borders by the way, quite classy.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Ah, you started your new AAR you were talking about. Definitely not an easy goal you've set for yourself, but all the more fun when you succeed. Will follow.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

....definitely wish you the best gainst England ... iuno how much longer i can bear looking at that horrid gray ... i mean ur IRISH for gods sake!
    Please Sign the Non-Steam Version Request Petition for SOTS II: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-1-post-person
    QUOTES USED IN POSTS: Always refer to the Original quote to ensure no misunderstandings occur. Click on the small arrows to do so.
    GREATEST NECRO EVER!: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post12291291

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I remember how terrified I was as Novgorod--> Russia when I accidentally broke the badboy limit; I can't imagine how it will go for you! You've got me on the edge of my seat!
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have just begun! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Indefatigable Psychotic tamius23's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India

You seem to use non-CB wars. How quickly can you recover the stability you lose?

I've barely ever declared war without CB.

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

whow .. thats a brave move to go over the BB limit so early and so ... well so small
    Remember, whatever the question, the answer on 18 September is Yes ...

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Very small indeed, but even more important, so very poor. I wouldn't think about going over the BB-limit being so poor.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast