• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
V2_4-1.jpg

1. Halen's elusive stats, with the man himself in command of a random French army

V2_6-1.jpg

2. Europe in September, 1857

V2_MAP_FRA_185792_1.jpg

3. Halen's World​

I'd just like to say that I tried a game as Greece recently - fighting the Ottomans was a lot harder without Halen and HO Rifles. Fortunately, an alliance with Russia turned out to be almost as good.

Cinead, I created a decision that gives him to a country. He can be removed from another country by save game editing. His Own Rifles were moved around in the same way.

Last edited:
Napoleon would be jealous.

Did you force the UK to release all those countries or did they happen by revolt? Excellent job!

An independent Yugoslavia and huge Poland! That's something you don't see everyday.

What's your impression of the difference a +6 modifier has on a battle? I would think it's pretty near unbeatable, except with massive numbers, and that does fit with Halen's genius.

Out of interest, who was the number one GP in 1857? Still the UK?

Out of interest, who was the number one GP in 1857? Still the UK?

My bet goes to France. It's 1857, so the US hasn't started to explode in IND yet, and unless that India is just a Paint.NET-job, Britain has lost a huge load of Prestige and MIL score.

My bet goes to France. It's 1857, so the US hasn't started to explode in IND yet, and unless that India is just a Paint.NET-job, Britain has lost a huge load of Prestige and MIL score.

It's not France as they're number 2 in the screenshot.

It's not France as they're number 2 in the screenshot.

Ah. Didn't notice that.

Germany perhaps? Or maybe it is the US, having been the only one in the regular top three Halen didn't smash to pieces.

It's still the UK! XD

V2_7.jpg

I made the British campaign easier on myself and used release puppet wargoals rather than free people one region at a time for Canada, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and Ireland.

Also, two really weird things happened in this game:
1) Free Morocco! I had nothing to do with that at all. They're not in any sphere and they don't have any allies, but no one ever tried to invade them.
2) GB took a piece of Portugal. You can still see it there. I thought about making them give it back to make the borders pretty, but I decided against it.

EDIT: Germany, by the way, was pretty weak since they lost their western provinces to France and Belgium and a good chunk of the east to Poland (and of course, Holstein is still in Scandinavian hands). They also pretty much ignored the infamy limits - I have no idea why, the AI is usually allergic to infamy but in this game they started launching wars with no CB left and right. Their infamy is about 80, I think.

((Hooray - my 500th post.))

I just read this cover to cover, and I was greatly impressed. This was wonderfully written, and excellently done. While I like the others normally don't read wall-of-text AARs this one gripped me so much I read it all in about two hours.

Well done. Fantastic! :D

It's still the UK! XD

V2_7.jpg

I made the British campaign easier on myself and used release puppet wargoals rather than free people one region at a time for Canada, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and Ireland.

Also, two really weird things happened in this game:
1) Free Morocco! I had nothing to do with that at all. They're not in any sphere and they don't have any allies, but no one ever tried to invade them.
2) GB took a piece of Portugal. You can still see it there. I thought about making them give it back to make the borders pretty, but I decided against it.

EDIT: Germany, by the way, was pretty weak since they lost their western provinces to France and Belgium and a good chunk of the east to Poland (and of course, Holstein is still in Scandinavian hands). They also pretty much ignored the infamy limits - I have no idea why, the AI is usually allergic to infamy but in this game they started launching wars with no CB left and right. Their infamy is about 80, I think.

((Hooray - my 500th post.))

Perhaps because they didn't have Holstein and had to unite Germany the hard way, through conquest.

This may well be the best AAR I've ever read. You should definitely rewrite this as a novel.

Just read this in one sitting.

Captivated the entire time.

This is absolutely amazing. Kudos to you, Sir.

I have just got up to the fall of Prussia, amazing read! Can’t wait to get through the rest.

Edit: Just finished, this was simply ... awsome!

Last edited:
I started this AAR, my interest peaked by the unusual title, some two-three hours ago. I expected a short read as I could only see three entries in the table of contents. Had I known beforehand that there would be 15 chapters I wouldn't have started reading. But when I started reading I couldn't stop. And what a ride it has been. The writing was superb, completely negating the ahistorical flow (which is caused by V2's setup, aka Denmark 1836, etc.). The characters were superb. I consider Halen and Louis to be one of my favorite literary characters ever (it might be weird to say in an AAR, but your writing style just made me imagine and understand them completely). As a whole this AAR stands as the best I've ever read here on these forums. For this accomplishment, I grant you the fictional Grand Order of Epic Awesomeness . May you care as less about this title as Halen did about his :D

I can't believe this hasn't gotten a comment since 2012. It deserves to be read by every generation of Paradoxians. A brilliant, gripping read!