• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Using Clausewitz Scenario Editor (avail in mod forum), open up a save file and go to single country -> whatever country you want -> history. All the monarchs are there arranged by date. Here's a sample:

Code:
        1468.10.1={ 
            monarch={ 
                name="Mei I"
                DIP=4
                ADM=8
                MIL=7
                female=yes
                id={ 
                    id=12392
                    type=37
                } 
                dynasty="Zhao"
                birth_date="1447.7.15"
            } 
        }
Females just have that female = yes line, males don't have anything (code-wise :p).Obv back up your save just in case, but you shouldn't have any trouble changing name or gender.

To change potential monarch names, in common\countries\ there's a txt file for every country that defines stuff like that. From Holland's:

Code:
monarch_names = {
	"Willem #5" = 40
	"Albert #0" = 20
	"Johan #2" = 15	
	"Jakoba #0" = -15
	"Lodewijk #0" = 15
	"Eberhard #0" = 15
	"Dirk #7" = 5
	"Floris #5" = 5
	"Jan #1" = 5
	"Arnolf #1" = 5
	(then a bunch of dudes w/ = 0; 0 probability)
The name is the name obv. #n defines the preexisting regnal number, so you'd get an Albert II or a Dirk VIII eg. +/-m defines the gender and probability of choosing the name; the odds are the name's number divided by the sum of all the numbers, absolute value. So Willem has a 32% chance. The minus sign means nothing mathematically, it just means they're female. This is also fully moddable. You can "guarantee" a name for your next heir by just setting the number to like 10000.

#possiblywaymorethanyouwantedtoknow

Revolutionary Holland? :eek: *salivates*

Also, good update. Pity her child gets married off before he/she's even born, though.

Jacqueline pressed a hard bargain for Zoe's hand though. She can only hope that at least one of Erik's offspring is a suitable match.

The duchess is a surprising lady. I like the writing a lot, but I love me some maps! Thanks for the game play elements!

Map quotient has been increased by 1000% this update! Hope it is to your satisfaction :)

I agree 100%; even the most excellent narrative can use a screenshot or two people for those of that are a bit more visual (and who don't play in this region of the game much :))

Noted. Especially since D&T changes the map in this region quite a bit.

Let slip the dogs of war!!!

You've been waiting patiently for this war for some time! Happy to oblige.

I love this AAR! The narrative and characters are amazingly done. You deserve the praise and awards you are getting.

Only one award thus far, but thank you :D

All hail Jacqueline, Duchess of Brabant and Countess of Hainault, Holland and Zeeland! :D

Her titles have expanded dramatically this update, as you'll see.

snip

#possiblywaymorethanyouwantedtoknow

No, thats perfect! I'll grab the editor and play around with it. Hopefully that will save me time and save you from my photoshop hack jobs. Thank you very much for taking the time to teach me :D

The Netherlands Unification War (June 1421 - June 1425)

The war later known as The Netherlands Unification War would drag on for four years.

001raan.jpg

002dfeu.jpg

At first glance, the odds might have seemed unbeatable. Enemy forces outnumbered the allies nearly three to one. But there were serious conflicts of interest in the war goals of the various coalition members, and Jacqueline knew how to exploit these to the maximum.

Jacqueline knew well the goal of warfare when one is outnumbered so severely is to achieve a concentration of force and use it to defeat the enemy in detail. Food supplies and war material had already been concentrated during the prewar days in areas where it would most likely be of use, and now were consumed rapidly in a series of sweeping forced marches by the entirety of the Hollander force. Her troops rapidly occupied Gelre, where the overtaxed subjects revolted against the Utrecht garrison and greeted the Hollander as liberators. Meanwhile, Hollander forces baited Utrecht's army out into the field with a feigned retreat, then quickly outflanked them and approached the city of Utrecht itself.

The Duchess' agents were already positioned inside the city, having arrived onboard merchant liners posing to buy the city's cloth and sell it in Lubeck. They stormed the eastern gatehouse and quickly opened the portcullis, and the city guard was overwhelmed by Hollander troops in less than an hour. By the time Utrecht's main force returned to their home city, the red lion of Holland flew over their battlements, and they quickly surrendered.

003pgg.jpg

The near bloodless annexation of Utrecht into Holland was a huge blow to Imperial morale. A relief expedition to Utrecht had yet to even depart Bohemia when the city fell, and the kings of Hungary and Bohemia began a public feud over who was responsible for the delay. Hungary's army would never see action in the conflict.

Once the treaty of surrender was signed by a council of Utrecht nobles, Archbishop Rudolf was marched through the streets of Utrecht in a rough wagon, stripped of his miter and finery, wrists bound, dressed in a peasants garb. When she was done humiliating him, Jacqueline had Rudolf sailed back to the Curia in a barely seaworthy old cog, delivered half starved to the surprised Papal Guard. The Pope Sixtus' fury was only increased when news arrived in Rome that peasant outrage against the former Archbishopric's repressive taxation policy exploded in August and a mob attacked the Sion Abbey and looted it. Jacqueline could not, or perhaps would not, spare troops to disperse the rebels, which was interpreted as tacit approval. Soon large bands of peasants roamed the land, destroying churches and looting monasteries across the former Church territory. Calls to excommunicate young Jacqueline began to build in the halls of the Vatican.

What Jacqueline thought of the anti-clerical uprising is unknown to history, because her personal letters have scant mention of it. All of the Duchess' thoughts seem to be consumed with the campaign in the south and of her pregnancy. It seems likely that it was at this point that she developed an obsession with uniting the Dutch people under one rule. She relocated her court to Brussels temporarily, and with her generals planned another rapid campaign, this time against Liege and Luxemburg.

Jacqueline's level of personal involvement in the Luxemburg campaign beyond the initial planning stages is unknown, but unlikely to have been very high. In September, she gave birth to a healthy girl that she named Zoe. Meaning 'life', the name was the Greek translation in the Bible for Eve. From Jacqueline's writings we learn that she chose the name because her daughter "is the first and last of my issue, a solitary woman in a man's world, and all of Holland's line will extend from her".

004xhw.jpg

005yhu.jpg

By the spring of 1422, all of Holland's immediate war objectives had been achieved. The neighboring Dutch states had been brought into submission or annexed outright, and the German states had been pacified or bribed into withdrawing from the war. Casualties had been remarkably light, but Holland's relatively small population meant that the pool of available recruits was already dwindling.

A large reason for Holland's success was the total absence of Bohemia in the theater. The Emperor had instead chosen to target Denmark instead, and Jacqueline's Scandinavian allies had suffered the worst of his wrath. Despite her subsidies, Danish and Norwegian forces had suffered terribly from the far larger German armies, and large parts of southern Denmark were occupied. Holland's armies marched to their ally's rescue. Initial fights were inconclusive and drained Holland's already flagging manpower reserves further. But in October 1422, a powerful drive put a wedge between Imperial forces, and a joint Danish Hollander fleet smashed the ships of the Teutonic Order. These actions together trapped the massive Bohemian army that had been besieging Copenhagen on the island. When the Swedes finally consented to join the war and moved south, they fell upon the weak and starving force from the landward side and drove them into the sea. The butchery was so great, it was said that all of the Oresund Straight ran red with German blood.

(sorry, no picture, because it was the Swedes who fought the battle, not me. They hit the Bohemians right after a failed assault. It was 18 enemy stacks wiped out though, more than I field total! Thanks Johan!)

While Jacqueline's court celebrated the great victory, news of John the Fearless' assassination reached them. The long feared war between Burgundy and France exploded in the south. Burgundy having dishonored and therefore nullified its alliance with Holland suddenly seemed a great blessing.

Envoys from France arrived in Amsterdam mere days later by ship, paying tribute to the Duchess and her infant daughter. They brought word of a plot from King Charles VII, who had been coronated less than a month earlier. After less than a day's deliberations, Jacqueline signed a secret treaty with France in an action that would be later known to posterity as The First Partition of Burgundy.

006bl.jpg

007rt.jpg

008uvz.jpg

Beleaguered Burgundian forces were already falling back on all fronts from the French assaults, and when the Hollanders took their armies in the rear, Burgundian resistance collapsed utterly. Utterly defeated, Phillip the Good furiously signed a peace treaty with both victorious powers, ceding large parts of his lands in the south to France, and Burgundy's crown jewel of Antwerp in the north to Holland.

Hollander forces were withdrawn from all foreign territories by 1423, and although the war would limp on with minor skirmishing action seen in northern Germany, Jacqueline's involvement was all but over. Despite their resounding successes, Holland had been brought near the breaking point by the war, and Jacqueline spent the next two years consolidating her rule. The challenge of bringing Holland law to so many different and various territories, as well as maintaining the economy and trade empire, consumed much of Jacqueline's time. She also took a personal interest in her daughter's upbringing as the girl aged, although she could spare less of her time than she might have liked.

By 1424, the war had more or less worn down, though Bohemia refused to come to terms. Much of the year in Holland was spent overseeing the dismantling of Antwerp's extensive trade infrastructure and transporting it into Amsterdam. Enriching and fortifying Amsterdam's already substantial harbor, Jacqueline announced Amsterdam a center of trade for all the merchants of Europe.

009hi.jpg

010vyw.jpg

The actions violated the terms of agreement with the Hanseatic Trade League, and they furiously revoked Holland's membership, threatening vague but dire consequences. Though nothing of importance was made of those threats at the time, the seeds of future conflict had been sewn.

Finally, in April 1425, Bohemia grudgingly agreed to peace terms with Jacqueline.

011bkv.jpg

The Duchess wasted no time in drawing up the paperwork to withdraw all of her newly conquered territory from the Imperial lands. This did little to improve the mood in Bohemia, but relations could hardly get much worse, so Jacqueline worried little about it.

With peace finally secured, Jacqueline wasted little time. On June 22nd 1425, she held a lavish and extensive celebration in Amsterdam that was attended by Henry VI of England, Erik VII of Denmark, and Charles VII of France. Tens of thousands from across the land crammed into Amsterdam to witness the historical occasion. At age 24, Jacqueline was crowned Queen Jacqueline I of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, to great jubilation. In the same ceremony, a three year old Zoe was crowned as a Princess and heir.

012evr.jpg

013wb.jpg

The left map shows Queen Jacqueline's territory on a political map, including the dependencies of Liege and Luxembourg. The right map shows the same territory compared to the areas of Dutch culture.
Note: The word Netherlands was chosen specifically to reinforce that rather than conquering and extending Hollander rule over her new subjects, Jacqueline saw herself as unifying the Dutch people under one new kingdom. The Dutch word 'neder', and its English cognate 'nether', literally mean 'down' or 'low', thus a literal translation of the name into English would be the Kingdom of the Lowlands, but the term Netherlands was quickly adopted in both official diplomatic and informal parlance in English and most other languages as a word in its own right to refer to the fledgling kingdom.

Last edited:
Excellent work! Some impressive victories in war as well as a nice unification. I noticed some of your infamy/prestige numbers (10 for concede defeat instead of 5, no infamy or prestige for getting Antwerp from Burgundy) are kind of wonky; is that a result of D&T?

Excellent work! Some impressive victories in war as well as a nice unification. I noticed some of your infamy/prestige numbers (10 for concede defeat instead of 5, no infamy or prestige for getting Antwerp from Burgundy) are kind of wonky; is that a result of D&T?

I got two Border Disputes and one Claims On Our Rivals over the course of the game so far. All told, it gave me cores on Utrecht, Gelre, Antwerp, and Cologne. I gave up the Cologne one because I have no intention of taking German territory and it just would have made me bleed prestige. But you'll notice annexing Utrecht also gave me zero infamy... nifty! On a related note, I got a core on Friesland due to it being a same culture inheritance. That's how I managed to form the Netherlands so fast.

I wanted to find a way to include those events into the narrative, but frankly I feel like it's getting unwieldy already. The explanation for the free cores were cut from the story, along with a few other scenes (an explanation of that note Jacqueline got, for example).

As far as the prestige numbers go, I don't really pay attention to them usually, but I'd assume that D&T messes with the numbers if they're different than vanilla DW's.

Good grief! What did you do to Burgundy??

As for localisation, just stick the below in a localisation csv file (e.g. 0_Dutch_rulers):

Code:
feudal_monarchy_ruler_dutch;Duke;Duc;Herzog;;Duque;;;;;;;;;x;
feudal_monarchy_ruler_female_dutch;Duchess;Duchesse;Herzogin;;Duquesa;;;;;;;;;x;
imperial_government_ruler_dutch;Archduke;Archduc;Erzherzog;;Duque;;;;;;;;;x;
imperial_government_ruler_female_dutch;Archduchess;Archduchesse;Erzherzogin;;Duquesa;;;;;;;;;x;
absolute_monarchy_ruler_dutch;King;Roi;König;Król;Rey;Re;Király;Král;;;;;;x;
absolute_monarchy_ruler_dutch;Queen;Reine;Königin;Królowa;Reina;Regina;Királynõ;Královna;;;;;;x;

Last edited:
Fantastic success! Netherlands formed by 1425!

What's the stats of young Zoe? Lovely name BTW.

Awesome, this is probably my favourite AAR right now. Only one thing bugs me, What is France doing in Essex?

Good grief! What did you do to Burgundy??

As for localisation, snip

In your own words, a successful Holland all but requires a doomed Burgundy. Note that it was called the First Partition of Burgundy... not exactly a good sign.

Thanks for the code. I'll play around with it for later. Too bad she's a queen now :D

Fantastic success! Netherlands formed by 1425!

What's the stats of young Zoe? Lovely name BTW.

Thank you. As for her stats... the dynastic element of the story is the one part where I'm ignoring the game. After I couldn't get a female ruler as William's heir, I just photoshopped in Jacqueline's name over the real name and since then I've just taken whatever crappy ruler EU fed me. Zoe isn't associated with any particular ruler or stats within the game.

What is France doing in Essex?

I assumed it was a cultural exchange program, where they were teaching the English how to cook actually food.

(spoilers) You'll see that later the English and French essentially reconcile their differences and prefer to work together to beat up the Spanish, Italians and Ottomans. Essex actually cores for France at some point in the 1460s. A lone spot of blue in a sea of red.

Last edited:
That's the thing about EU3...you might be having a wonderfully logical story...and then the Ottomans take and core Pommerania...which happened in my game. :p

That's the thing about EU3...you might be having a wonderfully logical story...and then the Ottomans take and core Pommerania...which happened in my game. :p

The British started off awfully in this game, losing all of their continental possessions almost immediately, losing large chunks of territory to Scotland, being forced to released Cornwall and Wales, etc. They eventually manage to recover and retake the Isles almost entirely, but they left France its one little city on the coast, presumably because its not worth a war over. I could force France to sell it back to them, but its not so glaringly implausible that I feel the need to intervene.

Last edited:
Waking up to two updates of this AAR is better than coffee and a cigarette (better for me too, i'm sure).

I'm gonna miss Jacqueline when she kicks off...Zoe has some big shoes to fill, not just as a ruler, but as an entertaining character.

Also...CoT's in both Sjaelland (?) and Slesvig? At least it's not as bad as Edirne and Bithynia, I suppose.

Waking up to two updates of this AAR is better than coffee and a cigarette (better for me too, i'm sure).

I'm gonna miss Jacqueline when she kicks off...Zoe has some big shoes to fill, not just as a ruler, but as an entertaining character.

Also...CoT's in both Sjaelland (?) and Slesvig? At least it's not as bad as Edirne and Bithynia, I suppose.

I actually did a double take there. Not sure what's going on in that shot. I suspect its because its taken not long after I destroyed Antwerp and built Amsterdam. I've seen D&T have some strange behavior where it creates tiny CoTs that stagnate a month later, but its usually not a problem. In any event, those CoTs aren't there within a few years and Amsterdam's control of trade in that area spreads fairly strongly. I'll post a trade map in the next update.

The British started off awfully in this game, losing all of their continental possessions almost immediately, losing large chunks of territory to Scotland, being forced to released Cornwall and Wales, etc. They eventually manage to recover and retake the Isles almost entirely, but they left France its one little city on the coast, presumably because its not worth a war over. I could force France to sell it back to them, but its not so glaringly implausible that I feel the need to intervene.
I actually kinda like it. It's France's revenge for Calais! :D

And gogo Jacqueline! Ten years to become Queen of the Netherlands... impressive!

Edit: Oh, and I just remembered. My last post, when I talked about modding potential monarch names... before I copy-pasted that excerpt from Holland's file, I'd initially opened the Netherlands' file but realized it was the wrong country. I may be psychic!

Last edited:
This is fantastic. I subscribed to the thread when it was featured on the AAR Showcase, and managed to catch up now. Jacqueline honours Holland's lion!ongrats on a quick unification of the Netherlands, and I hope to see this continue! :D

Before I do personal responses, a few notes:

1) My idea to including chess in the story was inspired by BananaFishToday's Pine, Bamboo and Plum: A Song AAR. You all should check it out.

2) You'll all have to just deal with a small anachronism here. The modern rules of chess play were not standardized until 1475. However, in lieu of explaining the variety of different chess styles here, all chess references in the story will use the rules of chess a modern reader will be familiar with.

3) I'm not at all confident with the section about Zoe's language practice, especially on a board with so many Europeans. Feel free to laugh at my poor attempts at your various languages, or preferably give me corrections and I'll make the appropriate edits.

On to responses!

I hope you don't intend to annex Liege/Luxembourg. I'm a bit of a border-fanatic, so sorry about my nitpicking :p

Well, I intend to control all of the culturally Dutch areas, so...

I do think that the Dutch areas look pretty good in terms of borders if I get them all.

I actually kinda like it. It's France's revenge for Calais! :D

And gogo Jacqueline! Ten years to become Queen of the Netherlands... impressive!

Edit: Oh, and I just remembered. My last post, when I talked about modding potential monarch names... before I copy-pasted that excerpt from Holland's file, I'd initially opened the Netherlands' file but realized it was the wrong country. I may be psychic!

Yep! She went from heiress of a countship to a queen in just barely under ten years. Expansion will slow down dramatically now, though... more due to my personal restrictions on the game and my desire to keep the AAR filled with tension and drama rather than any gameplay reasons.

This is fantastic. I subscribed to the thread when it was featured on the AAR Showcase, and managed to catch up now. Jacqueline honours Holland's lion!ongrats on a quick unification of the Netherlands, and I hope to see this continue! :D

And I hope you keep hoping it will continue! Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
The Outrage (March 1427)

March 22nd, 1427

Endless figures and the sound of a quill scratching against parchment had been Jacqueline's companion for the last few hours. The ledgers recording the nation's trade were far too extensive and vast for her to hope to look over them all, but she insisted on checking the figures herself on a random sampling of the books. Only a few merchants had needed to have been put in jail for tax evasion before the rest learned the Queen meant business, and that she understood their trade well enough to uncover any trickery. She hadn't found even a single deception in the last two years, but that didn't stop her from doing her checks.

The feel of a small hand tugging on her dress commanded her attention. "Mother, I'm done."

The Queen didn't look away from her work. "Latin?"

Her daughter sighed. She was well versed in this game. "Mater, Ego perfeci."

"Geman?"

"Mutter, Ich bin fertig."

"French?"

"Mere, J'ai fini."

"Italian?"

"Madre, ho finito."

"Danish?"

"Mor, Jeg er faerdig."

"Arabic?"

The girl scrunched up her face in concentration. Arabic was her newest acquired language, and she had begun her studies only a few months ago. "Ummi, intihaitu."

The queen looked up and rubbed Zoe's head. "My little polyglot. Very good."

The girl puffed out her cheeks. "How would you know? You don't even know Arabic!"

She laughed. "I'll have to check with Mahmood in the morning then."

Jacqueline looked over to where her daughter's books lay on the table. Her daughter was closer to six than five now, and was responding well to the intensive scholarship, just as Jacqueline herself had as a child. Languages came first, as a child's brain was best suited for them at a young age. Figures and histories could come later.

Again came the insistent tug. "Now can we play?"

Pushing away from her desk, Jacqueline yawned. The hour grew late, and the light through the windows had grown dim enough to necessitate candles more than an hour ago. "You need to be going to bed, little one," she said with a smile.

"No!" Zoe's voice was insistent. "I want to play!"

The queen could only sigh. "Just a few moves, then bed time."

Pacified, the girl ran over to the board and sat on her cushion in front of it. "Its your move," she insistently reminded.

Jacqueline knelt at the opposite end as well. Before her was a gift that she had received a few months back from the Sultan of the Mamluks. A grid of white and black lay before her, each square made of polished ivory or obsidian, with sixteen figures on each side, one set carved of jade, the other crystal. They called the game 'shatranj'.

When the first Dutch trader had departed Alexandria with its hull laden with an enormous load of pepper and other spices, the Mamluks had insisted on sending back with them a delegation of friendship, along with several expensive gifts including this board. Mahmood ibn Hajr al Asqalani, an elderly but wise scholar, been a part of the delegation, and Jacqueline had taken a liking to him and hired him as a tutor when his companions took their leave back to Egypt. It was he who had taught her daughter, and then later her, how to play this game.

Jacqueline pushed a pawn forward. Her daughter's tiny fingers immediately grasped her queen eagerly, and happily scooped up the jade pawn. She placed her piece down its place, completing the capture.

"Mahmood says the queen is the most powerful piece on the board..." the girl gushed, smiling happily. "You're so lucky to be a queen!"

The regent mother drummed her fingers against her lips thoughtfully, then slid her knight forward and to the left. "Perhaps, but a queen is also vulnerable to attack."

"No she's not... I..." Her daughter had nearly grasped her queen again when she made a theatrical exclamation of dismay, spotting her predicament. The advanced knight threatened not only the queen, but also a bishop. "No fair!" she pouted.

"You love to attack, but always remember, the queen's job is always first and foremost to protect the king," Jacqueline explained.

"Who's your king?" her daughter wondered.

"You are, dearest," Jacqueline replied without hesitation.

That earned her an outraged frown. "Nun uh. You have to be a boy to be a king. I'm not a boy."

"Maybe not, but I'll still always protect you." A hand ruffled her daughter's sandy blond hair, so much like her father's.

horizontalseparationbar.png

The game lasted far longer than Jacqueline had intended, leaving them both up when the moon was high in the sky. Both mother and daughter were still learning the game, but Jacqueline was almost frightened by the intensity her daughter showed when playing. The girl refused to give up and refused to go to bed, despite her frequent yawns and drooping eyelids, until Jacqueline had finally managed to pin the crystal king into a corner and earn a checkmate. She ended up carrying the exhausted girl to bed, doing so fully intent on going to sleep herself, when there was a knock at her door.

"Forgive me my Queen, but we have a situation." It was her Minister of Trade. "It requires your attention most urgently."

Jacqueline looked at him silently, then rubbed the sleep from her eyes. A queen's work was never done.

horizontalseparationbar.png

"... and they told us we were lucky to be leaving with our lives! As if they were considering murdering us just for having the audacity to try and trade in their city!"

Jacqueline leaned back in her throne, adjusting the crown where it sat heavily on her head. Before her for an audience stood five of the wealthiest merchants in the Netherlands. Or, men who had been the wealthiest. Now they were paupers. The Statthalter in Lubeck had manufactured some absurd complaint against the Dutch merchants and used it as an excuse to confiscate every Dutch ship at dock along with their contents. A full thirty percent of the Dutch merchant fleet had been captured in one fell swoop.

To make matters worse was the unique trade policies put in place by her father. A portion of the taxes and harbor fees paid by each merchant went into an insurance fund run by the state. Owners of ships lost at sea or raided by pirates would receive a portion of their investment returned to them out of the fund. Lowering the barrier of entry and the risk had helped spur many nobles to invest in such ventures, and the fund almost always ran an annual surplus, which went straight into government coffers. But it also exposed the treasury to great risk such as this.

"How much?"

"Your majesty?" one ventured.

"How much are you owed in compensation?"

"It's... difficult to say," he stalled. "We weren't the only ones to take losses by far, there were many others, and we still haven't had time to..."

She cut him off with a sharp wave of a hand. "Give me an estimate."

They whispered amongst themselves for nearly a full minute before replying. "A quick, nonbinding estimate, your majesty, for the lost ships and goods... seven million ducats."

That was a sum that could easily bankrupt nations. Her treasury could bear the expense, but not well. "I would ask that you accept deferred payment."

For some time, the only response was a stony silence. "Why... should we accept that?" one finally asked.

Paris, London and Lisbon had all been running embargoes against Dutch traders for years, primarily because the Dutch traders put their own out of business so effectively. Jacqueline had tolerated this because she had no choice but to do so. But if she allowed such brazen theft by a minor power to go unpunished, the economic prosperity that had built the Netherlands to what it was would collapse. A response of the strongest nature was in order.

"You should accept it because anyone who agrees will be considered shareholders in my military venture to punish this outrage, and be due full dividends from the plunder we gain when we sack Lubeck."

The look on the men's faces were priceless. They were traders by nature, not warriors, but their pride had been offended and they were eager for revenge. Less than an hour of negotiation later, and a contract had been signed. Holland once again was headed to war.

Last edited:
I love this! I'm no student of languages, but I did appreciate the chess story.

War once again, and victory to the Dutch! Very interested to see how it turns out.