• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like this idea too, especially for keeping track of when someone has a child. It's nearly impossible to marry off a daughter to an heir because I assume the AI gets them hitched the day they turn 16.

I think there's the option for betrothel in CK2, but won't that just mean the AI will betroth their sons the day of their birth?

I would like marriage to be a bit more competitive. A combination of relations, prestige, piety, money should come in to play. Some sort of bidding war for the right to marry an heir..

AI gets them hitched the day they turn 16.

They do. When looking to have my daughter/son married to another prince/princess of another Kingdom, it was, still is (for CK), necessary to pause the game every single month just to check if the boy/gurl had turned 16.

It would be nice if something just alerted you to that.

They do. When looking to have my daughter/son married to another prince/princess of another Kingdom, it was, still is (for CK), necessary to pause the game every single month just to check if the boy/gurl had turned 16.

It would be nice if something just alerted you to that.

In that instance I don't think this would matter too much, since you can do betrothals and arrange marrages for underage childrens.

Hi

Assume you're playing as the King of Denmark. You're busy bringing the gospel to the heathens in the Baltic, but you need to be ready if an opportunity presents itself in Sweden or Saxony.

So how about this: You select the Swedish king and the submenu "Flag Character". Here you select that you want to be notified if he dies and if his spouse dies. So you're ready to either take advantage of a weak heir ascending to the throne or marry your daughter to the grief struck King.

I realize that the current notification settings probably can inform me of this already. But I don't want to be notified when the King of Far-Awayistan loses his wife. That's just information clutter. I want to be able to select the rulers around me and select for which specific events in their life I need a special notification.

Now, is that a great idea or a grand idea?

rgds/EoE

+1

This would be very helpful!
You could use this for very different events in characters life...

Bad memories of babysitting character in CK1 waiting for them coming of age some time in this year to be ready to propose a marriage.
It should be a simple menu.
Right click on portrait -> notify me if this character:
a) coming of age
b) dies
c) marry
d) get a child
etc...

Of course you should be able to choose more than one option...

Last edited:
In that instance I don't think this would matter too much, since you can do betrothals and arrange marrages for underage childrens.

that's the problem though, instead of being insta-married at 16, they'll just be insta-betrothed on the day of their birth..

that's why a competative system during the first 16 years of their life would be interesting. Of course breaking off a betrothal for a better deal would highly offend the original family you had promised your child to.

I actually find it bizarre that it's the family of the daughter who gets the dowry.. there is definitely something missing from CK1 to emphasize the trade-off. Even traditionally now, it's the daughters family who pays for the wedding right?

'Your grandchild could possibly inherit my family's kingdom' vs. 'A slight boost in relations' .. yet that's how it played out in reality. Maybe the daughters family were just gambling in the hope of a pay-off or some security. Or perhaps the value of a breeding machine in the middle ages was truly recognized. (my female friends would garrotte me for typing that sentence)

All the marriages in order to get smart women appointed to your inner-court positions seems a bit off given the misogynist ways of the past?

All the marriages in order to get smart women appointed to your inner-court positions seems a bit off given the misogynist ways of the past?

Still remember that now the marriage also means who your allies are. So now marrying character that has bad stats might be wise if she is the daughter of powerful king or duke. Also marrying for good stats is not anymore wise if you have to marry some low born girl that doesn't have any chance to inherit anything as you can as easilly invite people to your court that have as good stats as the low born girl to work as you advisors. So I don't see the point of wasting a possible alliance for character that is easilly replaced with invited characters anyway.

Still remember that now the marriage also means who your allies are. So now marrying character that has bad stats might be wise if she is the daughter of powerful king or duke. Also marrying for good stats is not anymore wise if you have to marry some low born girl that doesn't have any chance to inherit anything as you can as easilly invite people to your court that have as good stats as the low born girl to work as you advisors. So I don't see the point of wasting a possible alliance for character that is easilly replaced with invited characters anyway.

There is still that marrying for stats vs. marrying for connections tradeoff, though, because half of the spouse's stats get added on to the ruler's.

One way to overcome the insta-marriage AI thingy, is you know, do it the old fashioned way, kill the husband/wife.