• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I for one am simply happy the madness is over. Hopefully the elections, as well as the war with Argentina will go smoothly from here on out.

Agreed! Hopefully, we can finish this war and begin rebuilding, both our damaged lands, and our damaged system.

We should remember Badajoz as he was before the madness set in, and he was forced to support a Coup. Yet, we cannot forget the part everyone has played. The General Zepeda, the instigated to start who only needed the support, the Conservadores who tricked the Liberale on to remove the Liberales from office by force (The minister of Economy most definitely), the power hungry colonel who was ready to do anything to exterminate the Liberales, and the president himself who fell into the vices of government corruption.

I was thrust a gun, and told to shoot at the mobs who defended their Presidente. A young man in front of me exploded, and I heard a bang, and I felt the finger on the trigger. The gun became as hot as a stove and I threw it down. The boy was bleeding profusely from his chest, and I my hand. In a moment of madness, I extended out and put pressure on the young man's chest injury to keep him alive. He continued to bleed out, and so my hand, and the ground ran with Chilean blood.

I was taken to the General in of preserving Democracy, General Roseno, perhaps the only honest member of the whole government. He was powerfully built, with wisdom above his stature in society. "Why do you not fight the rebels?" he asked, eyes quizzical. I sat motionless until I felt the answer inside. "Because those men out there are Chilenos, just like me." I paused, "And now I know that the killing of fellow Chilenos is akin to fratricide, punishable by all offenses known by gods and men."

The General looked at me with laughter in his eyes, and responded "You remind me of someone... someone I used to know"

And the truth, is that all the participants of this coup, of the general and the ministers, are guilty of what will befall My uncle. High Treason. General Roseno and General de Santa Rosa remain the only member not corrupted by plots and counter plots, murder and fratricide, and the despoiling of Chile. My uncle held the Coup to keep the party, a failure above all else which he had endured. His name will be spoken as mud, despite the net good he accomplished for Chile.

And I vow, upon his grave, and to all of you today, that it shall be the centerpoint of my career to make sure all the Traitors of Chile who walk around in Sheeps Clothing will be revealed. I will make sure they will be hated by the people of Chile as they deserve. They will never hold office without my dissent, nor never make a point without my argument. We have been torn by partisanism at its extreme, and the purging of government.

The Chilean people are bound by blood, La Sangre De Chile. There can be no partisanism anymore, it is time for the Chileans to get a clean slate from the traitors who currently reside in office. No Party, Only Chile. !Ningún partido, solamente Chile!

I, José Aragon, vow to fight for the freedom of Chile as Badajoz never did, to relieve her of her traitors, and to bring her to a Democracy led by people they can trust. We must move on from the past, Badajoz died the day of the coup for me and so must he to everyone else, and the traitors have died in my heart as well. I call for the Liberales to see how we were manipulated and strengthen once more to fight for Chilean Democracy, I call on the Conservativos to see how the Nationalistos tricked you as well. Importantly though, I call on all people to see who truly supports their Chile, or who supports their party. For there can be no party, only Chile.

(Sí señor. Using my poor writing skills to the best of my abilities, I crafted the most clichéd piece I could ;-). I hope you dont mind your character is as one dimensional as a point? I tried to reflect your character's staunch support for the Democracy.)

Okay, and by my watch, the time for new candidates to declare themselves has now drawn to a close. Nominal update incoming... possibly including as many as eight things to vote on!

--ThunderHawk3

The 1846 Primaries​

The 1846 Primaries were a time of speculation and back-and-forth, with day to day events rudely interrupted by the attempted January Coup. Though crushed in less than a week, the January Coup eliminated the popular Minister Fernando Zepeda, the former President Michael Badajoz, and the influential Admiral Gabriel Alvarez from any possibility of running, as all three were under lock and key for their foiled attempt to prevent the very elections that could now decide the fate of Chile.

Even as many questioned the Liberal-Conservador coalition that had held power in Santiago for two years, the coup propelled bold new faces to the political forefront. General Roseno, who had famously betrayed the conspirators in favor of the democracy, entered the race on the Nacionales' ticket, with José de Vallenare stepping down to give his seat to the general. Eduardo Emilio Romano, the Conservadores' candidate, had become the sitting President and had perhaps greatly reinforced his position. Antonio de Santa Rosa, like Roseno, also decided to run for president from the saddle.

With Badajoz and his supporters removed from power, de Santa Rosa quickly secured the nomination of the Liberales, while the incumbent President Romano, combining his tremendous successes as minister of the treasury with his recent victory in the coup, became the Conservadores candidate after one ballot. The Monarchists, as always, were deeply divided. Tamiuszski once again chose to run. Hernandez, however, decided not to oppose him and retired from politics, allowing the young Antonio Disraeli to step up.

The Nacionales were the most deeply divided of all the parties, with three candidates struggling for the nomination: Cesar Roseno, Manuel Carrera, and Eberado de Cary locked themselves in a three-way struggle for control. While many said that Roseno deserved the nomination after his actions in the coup, others claimed he was more needed on the front lines while others questioned his motives and decried him for previous support of Badajoz. Carrera had heavy support from one section of the Nacionales while others, notably Rivera, called for his expulsion from the party when it surfaced he had considered supporting the coup. Eberado de Cary was seen as the dark horse candidate - his name had never been stained by the January scandal and he was neither hero nor villain in anyone's eyes.

As before, "coalition" were the words on everyone's lips, though many felt that the old balance of power had finally collapsed. Badajoz and Zepeda had nearly tied in the last election - they were seen as the faces of the administration and opposition - and both were now awaiting trial...

Primary Candidates

((And since everyone was nice enough to write their own platforms, I'll use them, or select parts anyway))

Liberales Candidate:
Antonio de Santa Rosa, ((Riccardo93)) -

On this issue of immigration, and the natives, I support Full Citizenship; that is, I believe that all people who are citizens of this nation should be able to vote, enlist, etc., etc., without fear of discrimination. I support liberalized, near-open, immigration, and hope that we can assimilate the natives peacefully.

On religious matters, I support a pluralistic society. Myself, I am a practicing Roman Catholic, believe that religion is a most private and important matter; therefore, I believe that the State should encourage religion, but not back any particular sect or creed. As well, I hope this liberal view would promote further immigration to this great Republic, adding more workers, soldiers, businessmen, and other great benefits for Chile.

Prior to my generalship, I was a businessman, and I know full well how to run industries! I support a free market, unrestricted by the government. My laissez-faire policies, like those of President Badajoz, will spur economic growth, and, combined with lower taxes, create an era of prosperity unheard of on this Continent! Furthermore, I believe in free trade, which will encourage competition and innovation for Chile, and, with a liberal immigration policy, will create a larger market and workforce for our expanding industries,

On military matters, I support the continuation of this war, and the return of our rightful lands. I, however, am not a jingoist; nor am I in favour of war. With the conclusion of this war, I will reinforce our military, expand it, and transition to a more defense oriented military, rather than the offensive force of the past decade. I am not opposed to expansion; I believe we should first consolidate our territories, build infrastructure, establish good governance, and repair our new acquisitions before launching another military endeavour. In short, I support the continuation of this war until we regain our lands, and then we begin consolidating and improving our lands. As well, I believe Argentina should pay reparations for instigating this war; the money will go to the rebuilding programmes.

Again, I am willing to compromise!

Conservadores Candidate:
Eduardo Emilio Romano, ((Pallen)) -
What makes me worthy of the presidency? I shall gladly tell you why I think I fit for presidency - I have served as Minister of the Treasury for two terms under Badajoz' government, and I have had a great success with my policies in improving the Chilean economy, making the foundation for a better and stronger Chile. I have the experince and an acceptable record of success to lead Chile as el Presidente. What are my policies? It is no secret that with me as El Presidente, then the policies will be different. Indstead of Laisse faire I wish to adopt Interventionalism allowing the government to use the great funds we have aquired to promote economic prosperity quicker.

I also support Residency I believe that the citizens of Chile who fought during our war for independance, and who have struggled to make her what she is, are the true and real heart of Chile. Immigrants and citizens who have not been here during the war, will have an equal chance to prove themselfves worthy, but this requires a will to work as hard as the average Chilean, to commit him or herself and embrace the values we have of a strong democracy. We have received many hundreds of thousands of immigrants, and i can assure you that if elected I will do my best to integrate them into Chilean society.

The next issue i wish to discuss is moralism. Though I believe that any Chilean may worship what religion he or she desires - it is still an undeniable fact that many of the values we can find in Christendom have been modernized and translated into democracy. Like every man in the bible is equal in the eyes of god, every Chilean is equal in Chile. As the bible promotes love for thine next, we also promote love and support to your countrymen. Again I wish to stress that any Chilean may believe what they wish, but I believe the official religion of Chile should remain Christianity because it is christian values we base our democracy on.

I support a pro-military stance. Our military has become strong, and under my term shall remain just as strong, if not become even stronger. I know my popularity with the military was weak during Badajoz' first term, but now that our economic prosperity has grown strong, then I wish to spend more money on the military, which will secure our future as an independant nation in South America.

Nacionales Candidate:
Cesar Roseno, ((Red Cesar)) -
Interventionist Economy- While we have been doing adequately in the field of economics, further government assistance would allow Chile's unemployed population to help sustain the economy of our great Fatherland. I believe that within the next few years, we can become the dominant South American economic power. Factories would be an essential part of my economic plan, urging capitalists within the state to open and operate as many as possible.

Jingoistic Military Policy- We must reclaim our place in the sun, dominating the continent within Chilean power. If we do not strike first, our vulturous neighbors will. While we are not immediately ready for war, I plan to initiate a military build up, introducing several new infantry and artillery brigades. As well, the creation of a small navy would give us a cutting edge advantage over several of our neighbors. I would also introduce salary increases, and General promotions for many loyal officers.

Full Citizenship/Secular Government- Chile, our great Fatherland, is free to all. Why should citizens of a different race, of a different religion, be subject to oppression? I advocate equality for all, regardless of these things. I further advocate a complete separation of all religious policy from the state, as to be put forward a bill in the near future. We cannot allow a government to exist that seeks to undermine one group of citizens.

Manuel Carerra, ((King50000)) -

When it comes to the national economy, I believe a strong Interventionist stance will be the best suited to allowing our nation to grow even further. As factories continue to be constructed and expanded across Chile, the need for Government subsides may be seen during hard times and during expansion and opening. We cannot allow the mass production of foreign goods to threaten our local economies, so a stance of Protectionism will be followed, with some semblence of tarrifs being put inplace to protect our growing industries. Under my administration, these tarrifs would never go higher than 30%, but never lower than 10%. This will allow ourselves to still be open to the goods we cannot produce, but allow our own goods to have a better chance of success within our people, who would be glad to buy home-produced goods.

I, along side General Rosa, do not wish to leave my troops whilst in the field and during a war, but the chaos in Santiago must come to an end. I am a proud Jingoist, and will continue the current war with Argentina until we have won and our lands liberated. The sad beginings of this war here in the north, have shown that the army has been neglected, with the Argentinian army out-numbering us in such a short amount of time. All effort will be put into attracting more men into join our army, and to grow a sizable amount of sailors to create the begining of a navy. Work should also begin on constructing naval bases along our coast and forts along our border with Peru, Bolivia, and, once the war is over, our new border with Argentina.

In Chile, all people should be allowed to apply for citizenship and to practice any religion they believe in without Government interference. With that, I will follow a policy of Pluralism and Full Citizenship for the people of Chile. The people are what makes our nation as glorious as it is, the Government should protect their rights in these matters. I also condemn de Cary's words about refusing unwanted immigrants into the nation. Almost all Chileans are the decendents of colonial immigration, we cannot refuse to allow future citizens into the nation, and just because someone is a criminal, does not make them any less of a person. The Spaniards stole this land and gave it to us, though at gun point, so really we are also criminals for this land, let us not worry about such things and accept all.

Eberado de Cary, ((Ivir Baggins)) -
"I shall put myself forward as Presidential Candidate for the Partido Nacional. I feel that the Badajoz administration has held control over the reins of power for too long. There are many things I wish to propose should I become President.

"Firstly, I am a Protectionist. I believe that Chile needs some measure of tarrifs to help boost local industry. Furthermore, these tarrifs will provide additional funding for the exchequer, which can then be used to cut taxes.

"Secondly, I support State Capitalism. Over the past nine years, only one factory has been constructed in the whole of Chile. One. This needs to be rectified, otherwise Chile will languish in the third tier of nations. I propose not only to fund a Small Arms factory, as Rivera had promised, but also Ammunition, Liquor, Wine, Fertiliser, and Explosives factories. These will be in phases, not all at once. I also support the Education act, as it is in our interests that Chileans learn to read and write.

"Thirdly, I am a Pro-Military man. After this war, it is entirely possible we will not have finished our reclaiming of Chile. We will therefore need to support our Military in those times. But I place the army merely as a high priority, not a top one. The army may protect Chile, but industry will build Chile.

"Finally, I am for Pluralism and Limited Immigration. Although Chile's strength is in its immigrants, we should only let the right ones in. We cannot be having thousands of criminals arriving at our shores, as Senator de Vasces has said.

"In conclusion, I offer a platform intended to ensure Chile's prosperity through the next period. Industry must be supported, but we cannot lose sight of the present. Therefore, I propose to Build a New Chile! (Construir un Chile Nuevo!)"

Monárquicos Candidates:
Witold Tamiuszski, ((tamius23)) -

Hola.

After the election results of 1841, I have decided to refine my policies somewhat. I wish to avoid alienating other members of the Partido Monárquico, and I hope that this will help me to find new supporters amongst other parties, disgruntled with what has been happening recently.

Let me begin.

Military Policy: Jingoism The Chilean Army should strive to be the best in South America. Badajoz has showed us the potential of the army, and I promise to make it meet its full potential. I will do my utmost to retake our rightful lands in Patagonia, for which I am currently senator. I will fund the army with as much money as can be spared, whilst keeping the economy healthy. I do not wish for the army to be expanded at cost to our nation, and I promise to see this through.

Religious/Citizenship policy: Atheism/Full Citizenship. Chile is a land of opportunity and as senators we all know this. We are a multi-ethnic nation - go back far enough and you will be from many different places. Colombia, Germany, Poland, Spain, Portugal, and many more. It would be wrong for Chile not to accept immigrants from Europe, as we all are, for they are what have made Chile what it is.

The government must not intervene with the religious establishment. I will not fund any church of any religion, nor shall I promote any faith amongst the people. The Catholics of Santiago, the Animists of Patagonia, and the Protestants throughout the nation should all be equal. The state will not attempt to close religious buildings, however, people will be free to practice whatever they like.

Economic Policy: Interventionism. The capitalists have helped to create some of Chile's wealth through attempting to industrialise it with factories. However, they have been slow, and I propose that the government spends some money to kickstart the industrial economy to lead Chile into the future.

Trade will be free.

My main platform, of course, as a Monarchist, is to bring a King to Chile. I will stand by my earlier proposal to put a Patagonian chieftain on the Chilean throne. The republic has shown its weaknesses. A failed coup instigated by a member of the cabinet, and it seems that the former President will be imprisoned. The Kingdoms and Empires throughout the world have shown that a monarch brings stability to a nation.

Let the monarchy herald a new era of Democracy. There is nothing stopping us from having a Democratic kingdom, just like the nations of Great Britain or Sweden. Hopefully with a King, Chile can finally bring itself to newfound levels of stability, democracy, and wealth.

Antonio Disraeli, ((rogov)) - I am a Moralista - and would defend the privileges of the Catholic clergy that defend Chile's spiritual needs

I am a Tradicionalista - rigorous taxation of the lower orders and lighter burdens for landholders and industrialists have made the greatest European powers great. This traditional, conservative interventionist economic stance is superior to the radicalism of state capitalism held by some so-called Nacionales and the radicalism of the Liberales.

I am a Militarista - Chile's integral territory must be restored and we must always be able to defend ourselves, to make ourselves into a Great Power is an urgent necessity.

Furthermore, it is my duty to fight for the rights of property - to strike down the Land "Reform" act and restore the natural order of landowners and their tenants. Liberating the serfs was a good thing to do, but the government has gone far too far in redistributing the land to them. Let those who do not wish to work the land their forefathers worked, under the descendants of the masters of their forefathers, go to the cities and find work - driving industrial growth. We are only supporting perfidy and laziness by breaking up the birthright lands of some Chilieans and handing it over to others.

Finally, it is in our interest to forge an alliance with a great European power, so that we may together strike down our enemies, take their colonies, and show the world our might.

((I'm going to post the voting stuff in a separate post. Hang on here.))

Last edited:

Excerpt from the Chilean Constitution, 1833

Article 29: The Exclusive Powers of the Chamber of Deputies are: [...] 2. To bring accusations before the Senate whenever it shall seem proper to enforce the responsibility of the following officers: Cabinet Ministers and Counsellors of State, [...] Generals of the army or navy

Article 30: The Exclusive Powers of the Senate are: [...] To try officers accused by the Chamber of Deputies

The Senate has received accusations of treason against former President Badajoz, former Minister Zepeda, and former Admiral Alvarez from the lower house.

Player Actions Needed:

For all you who just got lost in that unreasonably large wall of text in the last post, the candidates are:

Liberales Candidates: (Party of Power)
Antonio de Santa Rosa ((Riccardo93))

Conservadores Candidates: (In Coalition)
Eduardo Emilio Romano ((Pallen))

Nacionales Candidates: (In Opposition)
Cesar Roseno ((RedCesar))
Colonel Manuel Carerra (King50000)
Eberado de Cary ((Ivir Baggins))

Monarquicos Candidates: (In Opposition)
Witold Tamiuszski ((tamius23))
Antonio Disraeli ((rogov))

Monárquicos and Nacionales, vote for a monarchist candidate for Presidente. (Tamiuszski/Disraeli) or (Roseno/Carerra/Cary)

Everyone vote on party coalitions. (Coalition With Any Party/No Coalition) and in the event of a coalition, who you would like to the Coalition Candidate.

Vote on the guilt of the accused (Innocent/Guilty). NOTE: If any of the three accused persons would not like to be tried, tell me and I'll withdraw you from the proceedings. If you are found guilty, your characters will be either executed or exiled. If you are found innocent, you will keep your characters and be allowed to vote in this coming election.

Party: Monárquicos
Candidate: Tamiuszski
Coalition: No Coalition
Coalition Candidate: Tamiuszski ((This is who you want to be the Presidential candidate in the event of a coalition.))
Badajoz: Abstain
Zepeda: Abstain
Alvarez: Abstain

A sample ballot for the Liberales would appear would appear:
Party: Liberales
Coalition: Coalition with Conservadores
Coalition Candidate: Antonio de Santa Rosa
Badajoz: Innocent

If you wish to vote for more than one Coalition, you may do so:
Party: Conservadores
Coalition: Coalition with Monarquicos, Nacionales
Coalition Candidate: Romano ((You can elaborate further in this row if need be.))
Badajoz: Guilty

As before, CANDIDATES CAN VOTE in this particular election and make a difference because of their coalition preferences, if any.

I'll give this one three days to vote, ending 6 PM PST (2 AM GMT, I believe) on the 23rd. I may cut it short if we get enough votes in quickly (25 or more by two days from now).

Last edited:
I urge the members of government to pardon my Uncle, who only Couped to protect his fellow party members.

However, I am sure those of you will ignore me, so I implore you to pardon the least Señor Alvarez. Alvarez was persuaded at the last minute threw those who believed the Coup would happen a certain way (cough, due to complicated rules), and that he wished to stand by Democracy before then. In many ways both Badajoz and Alvarez deserve a pardon for treason as those manipulated into support of the true perpetrator Zepeda.

Of course, this does not count the traitors who are not even being tried.

Party: Conservadores
Coalition: Coalition with Nacionales
Coalition Candidate: Romano
Badajoz: Guilty
Zepeda: Guilty
Alvarez: Innocent

Party: Liberales
Candidate: de Santa Rosa
Coalition: with Conservadores
Coalition Candidate: preferably de Santa Rosa, would accept (laissez-faire) Romano
Badajoz: Innocent

For my decisions on the coup leaders, I believe some clemency is deserved for President Badajoz; he expanded Chile, created immense wealth, and was an overall capable ruler. I do believe he had the best intentions at heart; he was misguided and partisan, not a cruel tyrant like Zepeda, whose ruthlessness made him a poor choice to lead; his policies made him an even worse choice. As for Alvarez, his actions were negligible, at best. I doubt he made any major contribution to the coup, other than the authority of his position.

As well, I would prefer myself to be the leader of a Conservadore-Liberale coalition, which in the past has worked incredibly well, but I would be willing to step aside on the condidtion that Romano agrees to a laissez-faire economic policy ((and Minister of the Interior would be nice... after the war, though)). That is my only condition; I hope he will consider it...

President Romano, Senators, Generals, and other people of Chile,

As a man accused of treason, it has come time for me to issue some kind of defense for my actions.

I do not claim any clever plot or greater good which I wished to benevolently (or so one would always claim) steer Chile towards. My fellow military men will understand that at times a general may plan out his strategy - whether good or bad in the end - over a long time with great coordination between him and other officers, but sometimes a general must take actions "without sitting down" as they say. I returned from a survey of the front lines of the Argentine War to find urgent confusion spreading throughout the capitol - the beginning of the coup as we all know - and little time to communicate to local commanders before the confusion threatened to cut off lines of communication.

I did, with a heavy heart, what I felt was best for my country. Not because I had some plan for manipulating Chile for "it's good", but simply due to the situation on the ground at the time. At the time, the army overwhelmingly was in support of the coup and prospects for a counter to it were dismal. I admire those who will stubbornly resist such overthrows, as Romano did, but my duty as Minister of War was to avoid the unnecessary bloodshed of the Chilean people and maintain order. Resistance would promote the cause of democratic elections (although Badajoz had assured us that these would only be set back for a short while, and at best a provisional government would create more chaos and turmoil among the people of Chile as it reasserted its authority while at worst there was a fear of a second coup which would set up a military government) but at too high a price in Chilean blood, and for too futile a mission ((remember at this time the capital was assumed to be easily held by the strong support for the coup)).

As the situation cleared I was both horrified and relieved to find so little of the previously reported strength left in the coup. I was relieved that democracy would be preserved, and especially that this would be retained by the guidance of then Minister Romano rather than a leader seeking their own power. I was horrified to find that my mistake would stain my hands in the blood of my countrymen by sustaining the battles unnecessarily - a continued civil war, the very danger that I had hoped to avoid. My fellow military men will also understand how such horrific mistakes feel in hindsight, when men have marched on your error and fallen to cannon and battalions that you did not know of before.

To the people of Chile I give this as my apology and my plea for pardon and a second chance to serve my country.

- Gabriel Alvarez

Last edited:
Party: Nacionalista
Candidate: Cesar Roseno
Coalition: Monárquicos, Conservadores (In that order)
Coalition Candidate: Cesar Roseno, Antonio Disraeli, Eduardo Emilio Romano (In that order)
Badajoz:¡Culpable!
Zepeda:¡Culpable!
Alvarez:¡Inocente!

Party: Nacionales
Candidate: Cesar Roseno
Coalition: Coalition with Conservadores
Coalition Candidate: Romano
Badajoz: GUILTY

I have to say, choosing between the two chaps Roseno and de Cary was hard. However, to prevent myself from abstaining, I chose a face more familiar to myself.

I support the release of Alvarez as from my point of view, he was simply manipulated by the despicable two men, Badajoz and Zepeda. With the bewildering situation and events surrounding the whole coup attempt, it is not surprising that he chose to do what he did.

- General Jorge Alejandro Santandera

((got tired of typing out "Brigadier General", and since rank is more cosmetic, I've decided to promote Santandera to general.))