• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Yeah, like the Liberales did ;)))

As the head of armies (and, as you can see, only one army), and in his cabinet; we have not interfered in the market, and will not!

And now for a brief election update:

President:
Badajoz: 7
Zepeda: 5
Tamiuszski: 2
Abstain: 1

That is some way of saying that we freed land from the last Spanish garrisons, and sold it to the Chilean citizens.

State capitalism right now will hamper our economy. Even if we build a factory, no one will populate it. We need to use the Liberale policies to attract immigrants so that in the future our industry will soar. We cannot focus on the short term and be hampered in the long run. Viva Chile.

Chile para los chilenos.

Mr. Badajoz, I admire you as a politician. Having served in your government I would like to assure you that even though State Capitalism means government intervention, I will not abuse my power because I also firmly believe in Laizes Faire. I need more economic power to expand militarily, and I promise I will not hamper our economy in the long run, but kickstart it.

Mr. Badajoz, I admire you as a politician. Having served in your government I would like to assure you that even though State Capitalism means government intervention, I will not abuse my power because I also firmly believe in Laizes Faire. I need more economic power to expand militarily, and I promise I will not hamper our economy in the long run, but kickstart it.

It might also work to establish an economic committee to decide and vote on what should be built when not focusing on the military. We should, after all, look to expand our mines and agriculture.

It might also work to establish an economic committee to decide and vote on what should be built when not focusing on the military. We should, after all, look to expand our mines and agriculture.

I think the market, private investors, would be the best way to improve the economy, to innovate.

I respect the noble Zepeda as well, he voted for Democracy when we most needed it, and helped keep the border during tense moments. I however, cannot agree on such government control as State Capitalism. I can see that some want State Capitalism to expand our budget. Food for thought, we were able to afford a major war and minor increase in troops with my policies alone. Our economy is only getting better, and will do so once the (surprisingly educated) torrents of Europeans come to our shores. If we do not provide them with the liberties we all deserve, they will go somewhere else. Our people matter, and we must be a government who supports its people. If we grow too much, we become a country where the people support its government, like the fabled Atlas struggling to keep the world on his shoulders. Let the Chilean people establish our economy, and let us increase the military budget in so far as to keep a balanced national budget, and to keep taxes on our people comparatively low. Chile para los chilenos!

I will use my influence over the Senate to back Zapeda. He's a new thinker that will bring some fresh air into our Republic. I resepct Badajoz a lot, I backed him the last election, and his presidency has been succesful. However I feel Zapeda is what we need right now.

Tamiuszski
Though I am a proud supporter of Rivera and the Nacionalistas I am strongly against Zapeda.

((From what he has described in his platform, shouldn't Tamiuszski have a secularist/pluralist religious stance?))

Tamiuszski
Though I am a proud supporter of Rivera and the Nacionalistas I am strongly against Zapeda.

((From what he has described in his platform, shouldn't Tamiuszski have a secularist/pluralist religious stance?))

I am saddened to see Nacionales supporting the vile Monarchists, but I shall abide by your decision.

((That's what all of us have said.))

The 1841 Candidates​

225px-Carlos_Iba%C3%B1ez_del_Campo.jpg

Unión Nacional Candidate: Fernando Zepeda ((thekinguter))

Listen to me, people of Chile!

For decades, we stood for democracy and national independence. We followed USA's example and stood against the imperialist Spaniards. We have seen our neighboors follow our exaple and lead Latin America into a new age. We followed our great founding father's steps, and endured years of civil war. It is our lust for national freedom that led us through, and together we fought for the independence of our northern regions. Without this national lust for independence, Chile wouldn't exist, and this isn't the right moment to let us lose this virtue of ours. We must fight Argentinians and recover our rightful lands, even if the claims are illegitimate to the european powers. I must remember you that our claims of independence were also illegitimate 40 years ago, and that the europeans will never legitimate a fight that isn't the best for their royal families.

Thus, to achieve national independence from foreign powers we must be strong and ruthless! Our military must be up to the task and so does our commerce and industry. Our democratic values must be protected or we might degenerate into what we fought against place, an absolutist monarchy. We must stand together, whatever our personal stances are, against foreign powers.

Economic Policies: State Capitalism/Free Trade. We do not yet possess a thriving private sector, so we can afford to control the commanding heights of our economy. It is important that we use our government to kickstart our absent private industry, since it is the driving force after an economic/military powerhouse. I support free trade because I believe it's the only way for us to have resources flow freely between Europe and Chile, because we need guns and food that we do not produce at home and the europeans do not have sulphur. I will try to build a small guns factory during my government, to support the cause.

Military Policies: Jingoistic. The pivotal point of my campaign is the fight against Argentina for our rightful land, resources and people that are stuck under their dictatorial power. We are not cowards, we have the money, troops and support from our neighboors that we need to recover our lands. My government WILL have as it's focus the military aspect, and two additional brigades will be made during my government.

Social: Full Citizenship / Pluralism. We need european immigrants to join our ranks. The europeans under absolutist monarchies admire our democratic values and want to live in our country. We need to fill up our armies, farms and possibly our futures factories with these highly literate folks. Remember we were all once european, and many of you are sons of europeans and some were even born in europe.

-------------------------

Behold my platform those who are too lazy to go back to see it.

Behold my platform those who are too lazy to go back to see it.

((Look upon my platform, ye mighty, and despair!

That's, for some reason, what it reminded me of...))

(Im not TH, but its winner takes all, even if it is one candidate ahead by one vote over the other two.)

((Question for TH. Does a candidate need a majority of electors to get elected? If so what happens if none get a majority, do we have a second ballot?))

Eh... technically, according to the Chilean Constitution of 1833, the President does need a majority of electors to be elected or a runoff is held. I'm trying to think of ways to prevent that; I may implement First Past The Post or allow candidates to throw their support to other candidates if they would be eliminated to quickly end the elections. I wouldn't be a big fan of holding a second ballot.

Eh... technically, according to the Chilean Constitution of 1833, the President does need a majority of electors to be elected or a runoff is held. I'm trying to think of ways to prevent that; I may implement First Past The Post or allow candidates to throw their support to other candidates if they would be eliminated to quickly end the elections. I wouldn't be a big fan of holding a second ballot.

((You could just knock the candidate with the least support, and he other two, or three, or four, parties gobble them; repeat as needed! Of course, anyone could change their vote in the meantime, either to break a deadlock, or create one, thereby forcing compromise))