• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wish to wipe my name from the ballot box, and from now on I support Caudillo Fuentes in his bid for re-election. Both Saez and Fuentes would make fine Caudillo's but I trust Fuentes's energy and vigor over the experience of Saez. There were also certain... opportunities that I would have been loathe to pass up...

---Caitan Crazzio---

Last edited:
I wish to wipe my name from the ballot box, and from now on I support Caudillo Fuentes in his bid for re-election. Both Saez and Fuentes would make fine Caudillo's but I trust Fuentes's energy and vigor over the experience of Fuentes. There were also certain... opportunities that I would have been loathe to pass up...

---Caitan Crazzio---

Good to see such clarity of thinking in this corrupt regime.

Sain Canoodler

Many people throw their support blindly behind Saez, not knowing that Fuentes is really the man for the job. Not only he's an admiral, meaning he will prioritize our navy, but he's no radical secularist and not a whiny pacifist either. He'll do what we must: Build a navy, outnumber the rebels and invade our neighboors. What else could we ask for? Instead, Saez goes against the church and against foreign intervention. Has he built our navy yet? Then why would he do so in a second term? I didn't build a navy because I had bigger immediate priorities, but he has his priorities wrong.

Many people throw their support blindly behind Saez, not knowing that Fuentes is really the man for the job. Not only he's an admiral, meaning he will prioritize our navy, but he's no radical secularist and not a whiny pacifist either. He'll do what we must: Build a navy, outnumber the rebels and invade our neighboors. What else could we ask for? Instead, Saez goes against the church and against foreign intervention. Has he built our navy yet? Then why would he do so in a second term? I didn't build a navy because I had bigger immediate priorities, but he has his priorities wrong.

Senor, I have already established that these are my main goals: retain our Christian heritage as a nation and as a people, raise and repair our damaged army to combat the coming uprising, and to, upon completing the crushing of this uprising, spreading our influence and expanding our borders, as well as building a naval heritage that cannot be matched by any other nation in the world.

Not to mention, Senor, that Fuentes is, himself, a secularist.

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo
Caudillo Candidate

I made it a part of my election manifesto to build a navy. Why on earth wouldn't I build one?

Furthermore, I am not against foreign intervention, I am simply against unreasonable intervention. The Canal Zone is in American hands, yes? Why, then, would we prioritize the liberation of Cuba over the liberation of the Canal? Why on earth would we want to assault Cuba when there are Chileans out on the Canal Zone who are being oppressed by a foreign government? Furthermore, even were this not the case, I nearly doubled the size of our nation during my term. Can you claim the same, Fernandez? No, you can't, because all you did was bend backwards for the Free State and annex weak, pathetic Argentina. So I do not want to hear any outrageous claims of being anti-foreign intervention from you.

The party must not disintegrate amid the aspirations of the many in an election year. We must maintain a cordial tone throughout, so as to prevent estrangement and stagnation in Government. I encourage unity, as our platforms are all remarkably similar.

Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo,
Minister of Foreign Affairs

I feel offended. You will hear from me again, Saez. If I were a coward we would not be here, but instead we would be in some communist prison. I took the first step no one dared take and you practically owe me one, having my vote decided the outcome. Hell, you even owe me the posibility to run for elections. Was it not for my suicidal boldness no one wouldve dared take the necesary step. But whatever, I am just annoyed we cant fight Spain because everyone is so scared. There is nothing to fear, Spain is barely a middle power since the Carlist revolts and they do not have the manpower or economy to fight us. We dobhave it but we are not using it!

The current tally is:

Caudillo:
Sáez: 4
De Santa Rosa: 0
Fuentes: 7
Hidalgo: 2
Crazzio: Withdrawn
De Porto: Withdrawn

Polls close at 10 AM PST tomorrow, keeping in mind the shift to daylight savings time in the US.

EDIT: Miscount.

Last edited:
Due to logistical reasons, I change my vote for Senor Fuentes. I will retroactively alter my spoken statement of support as well. I urge Senor Hidalgo and Santa Rosa to consider doing the same.

I apologize to Senor Hidalgo, I had hoped you to draw more support, but since other's do not see your qualifications I would rather have a say on the next Presidente on my own terms.

General de Porto

Senor, I have already established that these are my main goals: retain our Christian heritage as a nation and as a people, raise and repair our damaged army to combat the coming uprising, and to, upon completing the crushing of this uprising, spreading our influence and expanding our borders, as well as building a naval heritage that cannot be matched by any other nation in the world.

Not to mention, Senor, that Fuentes is, himself, a secularist.

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo
Caudillo Candidate

You are still my favorite. But now it's Fuentes' turn. Every dog has it's day ;)

The party must not disintegrate amid the aspirations of the many in an election year. We must maintain a cordial tone throughout, so as to prevent estrangement and stagnation in Government. I encourage unity, as our platforms are all remarkably similar.

Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo,
Minister of Foreign Affairs

Hmmm...... or we could form a new party...... one that could challenge the establishment, revitalize the election system, and encourage enlightened debates between the two factions... as long as it doesn't get out of hand...

I hereby propose the creation of a new party, the Unidos Partido Capitalista (UPC)!

here are the basic values that all members of the UPC should adhere to...

First and foremost, members of the UPC should be advocates of a Laissez-Faire economic policy and a free trade foreign economic policy. The statists in power may cry out in favor of a guiding hand in the economy but in order to meet the other world powers (France, Britain, the United States) we must rely on the industrialism and ambitiousness of our citizens and not hinder them with needless economic infringement. This means low taxes or all eschelons of society but especially for the wealthier job creators. As a very successful businessman myself, I can personally attest to what the wonders of a hands off economic policy can do for an ambitious man. In that spirit, I would also like the UPC to be a pro-immigration party that advocates for Full Citizenship because, as any idiot can discern from graphs and such, immigrants are the lifeblood of our economy. We must take in these huddled masses yearning to breathe free and then promptly set them to work for mediocre wages in our factories and coal mines!

Second, they should be stringent moralists, or at the very least pluralists in regards to the role a state should play within Chilean society and culture. Our Catholic roots have led us through the trials of the 19th century and should not be so easily forgotten. Chileans should be proud of their culture as well as their religious unity! This unity can only bring greater stability to our society as a whole. Speaking of unity, there is no better way to stir up patriotism than with a strong military. Therefore I would urge would be UPC members to expound a Jingoist rhetoric (failing that, being pro-military would suffice). For more information on the military, please speak to someone who actually knows about the glory of the battlefield.

These are the tenets of the UPC! They will, in some ways, differ from the values of the Frente Nacional (moralism, jingoism) and will clash at other points. I hope that this new party will not be seen as an insurrection to be squashed, but as a necessary division within the Frente Nacional. If the UPC fails to form its own party, I will still conduct my political affairs as Caitan Crazzio, insert prestigious titles here... and chairman of the UPC!

---Caitan Crazzio---

I laugh out loud at the fascists (which includes Crazzio). You have passed through a constitution to prohibit other parties...
The hypocriticism of the brown coats knows no end. Surely, the end of their dictatorship is nigh.

- Mantiago Retruécano

I never said I was no fascist senor! Let it be known that the UPC is a fascist party! The UPC simply represents a small break in ideology with the other, more mainstream Fascists in the Frente Nacional.

---Caitan Crazzio---

The 1911 Caudillo Election: New Rules​

By 1911, Caudillo Sáez's new Constitution of the National Republic had come into force, expanded the franchise for the election of the Caudillo to the landed gentry, rather than just the shadowy elite of the Frente Nacional, which most saw as a crucial first step towards democracy. However, in the words of one dissenting Santiago paper, "the problem with Democracy is that you might lose." The new Constitution, by contrast, had ingrained the Frente Nacional as the party of power and though it allowed the continued existence of a few right-wing parties other than itself only allowed for members of the ruling party to find their way into the government, the legislature, and politics. The voters of Chile were in effect left with a choice between fascists, and nothing else, despite claims from the Frente Nacional's executive committee that they had created "a democracy of one party." The elite of the party, generals and high ranking ministers, continued to command the bulk of the power and political influence within the country.

That said, the Frente Nacional's field was much broader than it had been in previous years. Six candidates, including the incumbent Caudillo Sáez, the distinguished general and hero of several wars Sebastian Hidalgo, former head of the secret police and treasurer Caitan Crazzio, also former treasurer and thinker Augusto De Santa Rosa, De Porto, General of the Army of the Republic, and lastly Victor-Felipe de Tagle y Fuentes, a dark horse minister and admiral of the non-existent Chilean Navy. Going into the election, few of the six candidates recognized how drastically the introduction of limited voting had shifted the political landscape. Most commentators at the outset agreed that Caudillo Sáez would not be able to win his re-election. In addition to having little political sense, Sáez had vetoed the somewhat popular Liberation of Cuba initiative and lost the support of the former Caudillo Fernandez which had secured him a narrow victory in the previous term. Moreover, despite his successes in Brazil, the war with America and the loss of the canal zone were largely perceived as Sáez's fault, some claiming that the loss had been enabled by his dovish attitudes towards the Free State, others responding that his jingoistic policies had spelled doom from the beginning by drawing the ire of the rest of the world.

Most agreed then that Sáez would lose his spot to Sebastian Hidalgo, who but for the roll of a die might have been Caudillo for the last five years anyway. Sadly, though the entire establishment agreed Hidalgo would make satisfactory Caudillo, he was again rejected at the polls. Fernandez once again brought his weight to bear in the election, publicly endorsing Fuentes in a message that was repeated in rallies and sermons throughout the country. Fernandez assured the public that despite the secular attitudes of Fuentes, the church would not be harmed by a Fuentes leadership period, and that he and he alone could stabilize Chile's position without overreaching the military. De Porto, perhaps at Fernandez's urging, withdrew from the race soon after and endorsed Fuentes, (though rumor had it he truly favored Hidalgo.) Caitan Crazzio followed suit, and soon afterwards a flood of high-profile endorsements followed. Fuentes won the election with a commanding 54% of the vote over his three competitors, securing 165 votes at the meeting of the newly-formed Electoral Subcommittee of the Frente Nacional. His closest rival, Sáez, had only 94.

It was the first transfer of power by election in the history of the National Republic.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
Alright, Fuentes ((Maxwell500)), I need your appointments. We can still currently recruit up to 530 brigades, by the way, and recall that if you would have to appoint more than ten generals you can now give them command of up to two armies (of 20 brigades each, according to the Strategic Redeployment Act). If you'd like to recruit more than 400 brigades, I will unilaterally allow you to give commands of up to three armies, because we simply don't have enough players otherwise. Our mobilization size is 122.

We currently have 115 brigades. I'm not sure about their exact composition. We lost some during the war with Brazil, so it's the previous allotment minus more than a few.

Nothing to vote on. That map will follow.

Map of South and Central America

ChileMap3-16-2012.jpg

Congratulations to the good Senor! May he lead Chile with strength and nobility.

I personally align myself with the more 'moderate' UPC; it fits my ideology slightly more.

"It is clear from reviewing our current state of affairs that we must gain access through Colombia, by word or by deed. Only by doing so will we be able to liberate the Chileans of Panama that groan under American oppression. Unless Fuentes does so, he will be guilty of failing to do his utmost for Chile."

Sebastian Montenegro

"I have decided that in the best interests of Chile and in order to make sure that all armies are under an experienced commander I must repeal the Strategic Redeployment Act, I may reinstitute it at a later time."

~ Caudillo de Tagle y Fuentes

I don't think I'm going out on a limb to state the UPC's official endorsement of the Fuentes administration. We, your fellow Chileans, hope that you can perpetuate the stability of our ever-growing nation. The next few years may be trying, but you have the full backing of not one but two political parties mi amigo.

---Caitan Crazzio---