• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is truly only One Chile. It shall be state policy that the Panamá Channel will be considered a legitime part of the Chilean State but it's government will not be considered legitimate at all. It is a government of secessionists who have seized 24.000 men with their homes and familiy in mainland Chile and over 30 ships that consists in the entirety of the Chilean Navy. As the Panamá government is not considered existant under mainland law, it is going to be refered as the "secessionists" or "de conti's faction". De Conti has resigned to the democratic traditions I thought he was fighting to preserve, and has indeed lost all respect I had to his figure, just to turn the Panama zone into a triumvirate dictatorship... Now our navy lies in his hands and they patrol our seas like it's theirs, attacking what they consider piracy and smuggling.. I am starting to believe the civil war hasn't ended yet. But I dare not attack de Conti.

What shall we do?

It is mutually beneficial for both states to diverge for a brief time. We are both too weak to attempt military absorption, and diplomatic absorption does not seem likely on the nonce.

What we do should be establishing our own navy presence, fixing the industry, expanding the army, and focussing on the affairs of South America.

This is of course just my advice, honorable Presidente.

I have all of these things in mind, hence my "reconstruction" speech. But I do believe we have not discussed South America yet. Any suggestions?

Let De Conti's collaboration with the totalitarian dictatorship of Fernandez finally put to rest any claim either one of them has to the legitimate succession of the Republic of Chile. That body now lives only in the undeclared Senators that still walk the earth of this country as free men.
- Guerrero!

Once our military is up to snuff, I believe it is time to formalize the control of those countries in our "Sphere of Influence". We must acquire more land for our glorious Chilean citizens.

I agree with General de Porto. We are already sovereigns of South America in every way but name. I believe that a goal should indeed be to formalize our control of the Continent. However, we must first find some way to deal with the Panamanian secessionists, whether that be folding them into the Nation or, unfortunately, eradicating them. I strongly advocate for the former, in hopes of a peaceful resolution to the issue.

However, I feel it unwise to march off to battle whilst undeclared secessionists sit en masse so close to our homes.

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

Let De Conti's collaboration with the totalitarian dictatorship of Fernandez finally put to rest any claim either one of them has to the legitimate succession of the Republic of Chile. That body now lives only in the undeclared Senators that still walk the earth of this country as free men.
- Guerrero!

"Bah, if you communists hadn't abandoned and assaulted the third republic in the first place then this would never have happened. Even if the rightist coup had been attempted irregardless of the illegal actions of Rios and his followers the combined forces of Hakkihäälenin and the loyalists would have been able to defeat the Fernandez troops.

I'm not fond of this collaboration with the Fernandez government, but accept it as something bred of necessity. I thank the President for bestowing me the honour of this title."

-José Olózaga

I have just read the transcript of de Conti's speech. I find it a sad relic of ignorance and the bureaucratic nightmare of Democratic Government. Perhaps Sr. de Conti does not realize the state of Chile; now and forever, the Nationalista Government shall rule Chile.

We must insulate ourselves from threat, evidenced by this blatant disregard for the sacrifice that has just been made by we Nationalistas. Pursuant to this insulation, I humbly request that President Fernandez make his cabinet changes including myself sooner rather than later.

We must be assured that threat to our new Government is not realistic, much less a likelihood as it is now.

walespng.jpg
A notice for shipping.

The Canal Authority has declared an increase in tolls for passage through the Panama Canal, to accommodate present conditions.

All laws and regulations of shipping, pertaining to smuggling and other actions, are still in effect in Chile. With cooperation between the agencies of the different administrations all violators will be prosecuted.

- Commissioner of the Navy in the Panamanian Territories of the Chilean State, Eduardo Alvarez

I fear you misunderstand my intentions entirely, Archbishop Fernandez.

Once more, I do not press for secession. I press for common unity. I did not propose to continue naval patrols along the Chilean coast to intimidate the Continental Administration, but so as to display that the Chilean Free State remains a part of the Chilean Nation and will honour its commitments to the Fatherland. I could have sequestered the Grand Fleet in Balboa and left you to fend for yourselves. I chose instead to offer this concession as a symbol of cooperation. A symbol that will save you the expense of having to produce a second fleet with the economy in ruins, incurring only the minimal cost of contributing to the upkeep of the Navy.

Chile has only just emerged from a civil war of disastrous scale. Would you stir conflict between ourselves, or unite to restore the Fatherland to its former glory?

- President Charles Maximilien de Conti

The economy hinges not upon the navy, nor upon Panama. De Conti styles himself President, and his admiral illegally raises a toll in our own territory whilst de Conti claims economic recovery requires his help!

We must not be blinded by this foolish man's desperate grasps at the power he lost. Fleeing to a provincial state is not a chip with which to bargain against we victorious Nationalistas who sacrificed! Flight is no accomplishment for which to award medals or claim leadership; it is no privilege-allotting accomplishment to abandon one's country, no way to raise an illegal tax!

It is merely treasonous cowardice!

We must not be blinded by any foolish man's desperate grasps at power, Senor de Escovedo.

What exactly did you do for the National Revolution? You contributed no arms to its success. You lead no forces in defence of the Fatherland. You did not even endorse it by benefit of ministerial office. Yet you clamour for power as if it was your birthright. I evacuated the government to ensure that, if the Marxistas seized Santiago, a remnant of the Republic would continue to exist in Panama, from where it could one day return to topple Rios' tinpot dictatorship and restore the National Government. For this, I sacrificed my power on the mainland. Yet if the Marxistas had triumphed, I have not the slightest doubt that you would be the first man at the door of La Moneda, pledging your loyalty in return for power.

I may not have supported the insurrection. But at least I do not cling to its coattails.

Last edited:
The economy hinges not upon the navy, nor upon Panama. De Conti styles himself President, and his admiral illegally raises a toll in our own territory whilst de Conti claims economic recovery requires his help!

We must not be blinded by this foolish man's desperate grasps at the power he lost. Fleeing to a provincial state is not a chip with which to bargain against we victorious Nationalistas who sacrificed! Flight is no accomplishment for which to award medals or claim leadership; it is no privilege-allotting accomplishment to abandon one's country, no way to raise an illegal tax!

It is merely treasonous cowardice!

De Conti styles himself president because he was lawfully elected as such by the Chilean people, and his term is not over nor was he indicted of any crime or otherwise removed from office legally. The toll would have had to have been raised anyway, or else funds that you have freed up would have to have been spent, for the normal process of government - unless you planned on scrapping the Navy or Army as part of your reconstruction. The Canal Zone is under the command of the executive and the department of the Navy, and thus its decisions on tolls are legal as such. This is the administration of the government of Chile, as appointed by the nation and people of Chile, continuing its normal operations - as far as normal can be with the instabilities of late due to the revolutions. We do not seek to threaten or bargain, but to continue serving the Chilean people of the Panamanian territory as is our mandate, negotiating and making arrangements as necessary with the continental administration.

From the Office of the Chief of Staff, the Republic of Chile -

343kz6g.png

The flag of the Republic of Chile and the Battle Flag of the Republican Army

Citizens of the Republic,

The legitimate government of the Republic of Chile was overthrown in 1892 when President Pedro Rivera unconstitutionally initiated an illegal purge of political rivals; and his generals, including Charles Maximilien de Conti, murdered General Armando Renin of the Army of the South while he was pursuing his duties as a soldier to uphold and defend the republican constitution.

At that time I was Chief of Staff. And so, regardless of the meaningless subsequent appointments and proclamations of the Rivera and de Conti juntas, I remain Chief of Staff until members of the Congreso not tied to these illegitimate juntas can elect a new Acting President and a new Chief of Staff.

As Chief of Staff I cannot act in the place of Acting President, as my office holds no administrative powers outside of the military, but in the absence of a President the Chief of Staff constitutionally is the commander-in-chief of the military.

So, to facilitate operations to defend and liberate the loyalist Senators that Chile will need for a continuity of governance to elect an Acting President, I will resume my rightfully elected duties as Chief of Staff that were interrupted by the black stain on Chile's honor committed by the Rivera administration during the Great Purge.

As Chief of Staff I hope to coordinate the groups of the Resistance, but of course as they are civilian volunteers my office can only provide them with battle plans and logistical support, not with legally binding orders. But as Chief of Staff I have the power to officially authorize these civilian fighters, these minute-men, as the Republican Army; until such a time as the disposition of our forces can be decided by a legitimate civilian leadership.

Let us fight for the day of the liberation. Viva republica!

- Gen. Dio Guerrero, Chief of Staff of The Republic of Chile

I trust neither the National Government nor the Continental Administration will pay any heed to this madman's self-aggrandisement.

A democracy where you can vote for any party, so long as it's Frente Nacional, is no democracy. Especially when there are no elections. I am agitating!

It is worthless to listen to these deranged men who claim to have some essence of leadership. De Conti and Guerrero are foolish and vain if they do not recognize the order of affairs in Chile today. De Conti constantly talks of my having only aspirations of power, when I have never wavered from my line of true conservatism. This accusation is especially rich coming from a spineless coward who flees to Panama, only to wrench at power with his weak secessionists. He did indeed sacrifice his power, and now he need not try to claim a hold of any office at all. De Conti talks of "toppling Rios' Government"; if the man truly had anything to do with the restoration of Government, then he would have fought alongside we Nationalistas instead of fleeing and awarding medals to those who fled with him.

Of course, de Conti claims that because I had no armed forces to lead that I did not fight. I do not even need to touch upon the subject, but I shall; of course I fought, and I engaged in combat with the Reds until I fell to my knees from exhaustion. Additionally, I endorsed the Revolution on behalf of the Patriotas party! I was the first man in Government to endorse Fernandez. Thus, these accusations are truly ridiculous.

De Conti, you must accept that your weak ways of "moderation" in which nothing was accomplished save for my fiscal bill have been replaced by a Government with backbone; one that I am proud to be a part of. You truly believe that you have power, and now your "admiral" raises illegal fees for passing through our waters?! You are not a President any more than I am; you are only the Queen of vanity and ignorance, blatantly ignoring the fact that you no longer hold sway within this country.

As pertains to Guerrero, this is quite the laughable development. A defeated Communist, fresh out of prison, claims that he is the Chief of Staff. I do not want nor need to argue against this man; the conclusion is and has been forgone for some time.

To address these concerns, a change must be made. I urge President Fernandez to insulate his Government with supporters, and to find an appropriate way to deal with de Conti. Guerrero is a non-effect, and he need not be considered in the grand spectrum of events. Also, I ask again for reassurance from the President that my Industrial Encouragement Act is still in effect within the new National law book. Finally, I propose once again along with General de Porto that we acquire more lands and truly create a Chilean empire. However, after pondering the matter for some time, I believe that we should also consider colonization of either Asia or Africa in conjunction with the uniting of South America.

Abolishing democracy is not a sign of backbone, Escovedo. It is a sign of being afraid the people don't want you. It is a sign of insecurity.

Mr. Bevan, I feel you, Mr. Garcia, and myself have much to talk about the liberation of Chile and restoration of a multi-party democratic form of government.

"Thank you very much, Presidente Fernandez, for appointing myself as Minister for Reconstruction. I am also proud to recieve the O'Higgins Medal, having actually returned to the army and taken part in combat. I support both of Fernandez' bills, and I will do my best to ensure that an equitable settlement is ensured for all Chileans great and small."

General Severiano Miramontes
Minister for Reconstruction