• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"How is someone who has proven himself an ardent Communist impartial? Is it only because he is a left-winger like you?"

Severiano Miramontes

Just because I strongly advocate for my own opinion instead of utilising self-imposed repression does not make me a dangerous mass-murderer of a man.

- General Remedio Hakkihäälenin

"How is someone who has proven himself an ardent Communist impartial? Is it only because he is a left-winger like you?"

Severiano Miramontes

One of the appointments De Conti made is the son of the former republican president!!!!!!!!!!! and you say he is impartial.... YOu are all delusional.

General Rios

Let's not pretend that the people who view communists as unacceptable for military office but stack them with personal cronies and known advocates for extremist measures are anything other than threats to Chile and enemies of democracy. Whether a man is a member of a political party or not, no one who advocates removing another party from the military, purging another party from politics, or otherwise shows an inclination towards unlawful behavior can be trusted. Don't forget revolts aren't the only ways generals can betray Chile, supporting a president who attempts to annul elections or otherwise impose a self-coup, a state of unconstitutional martial law, is itself one of the greatest betrayals a holder of any civil or military office can make.

So let us not even entertain the delusion that personal loyalty to De Conti above all else or a deep-seated hatred of the Communistas and FNT is any different than being a card-carrying member of his party.

And since when has a lack of party stopped rogue generals? Schmidt was the single most apolitical man in Chile, having served everyone from Imperialists to democrats and never shown himself as a rightist or a leftist or a centrist for that matter, and he declared his coup.

This whole situation is a travesty on the part of the Right, the Nuevo Imperialistas. The fact that military culture in Chile is traditionally anti-democratic, anti-leftist, and prone to staging coup does not make that default state of our generals "apolitical" and proper for the military any more than an anti-democratic anti-rightist like Juarez would be apolitical and a suitable candidate. Don't confuse what is traditional for what is safe, what is right, or what is constitutional - the tradition in Chile is for the military to be a hotbed of would-be Napoleons, paternalist authoritarians, and ultra-nationalists. The Communist Party has a far better track record of honorable military service than this traditional, unspoken "military party" - the core cadre of ultranationalist generals who have typically run the military establishment under conservatives, liberales, imperialists, and republicanos alike. The traditional military culture in Chile is seething with the poison of Severino, Cesar, and Zepeda; and yet men cut from that cloth dare impeach the character of leftist generals?

One of the appointments De Conti made is the son of the former republican president!!!!!!!!!!! and you say he is impartial.... YOu are all delusional.

General Rios

And the first appointment you made was the first person to raise his voice in support of your opinion (!!!!) and you call yourselves impartial. Is it yourselves the delusional, or the rest of the country? I wonder.

If it is not acceptable to undermine the Chief of Staff permanently, then how is it acceptable to do it once?

It is only acceptable when the CoS breaks the law.

If I could replace you with the three worst presidents up to you, Andonie, Zepeda or Badajoz, I would at least consider doing it.

What has President Zepeda done to earn your hate? He was politically outmaneuvered by his enemies, that's it. He even kept his promise of not returning to politics, even in such tough times as Andonie's uprising. He sought a compromise with the rebels, something UNSEEN until that day (and still unseen today) to save lives and find peace. He founded OTLA, in which our economy is based upon. He reached unseen boundaries and brought unprecedented stability in South America (with the exception of Argentina) in a short 3-year term. He fought the empire from the start, created the first opposition party since the creation of the third republic in spite his advantageous position in the Republicanos just to promote democracy. It's partially his doing that today we are living an economic boom and that today we have the possibility to discuss this here in the Congreso. Always remember that.

Now, forgetting all conflicts of interests, we have the possibility of discussing the matter here in the congress. This bill seeks the vote of every high ranking military, politician and congressman in the nation. The people have the unique chance of doing justice, by either approving the CoS appointments or the Presidential appointments. This is the only chance we have at a democratic solution. See you at the voting booth, Bevan.

It is only acceptable when the CoS breaks the law.

But he did not.

Yes he did. He appointed unilaterally two generals, when he only had the authority to reach a compromise with the President.

If two people fail to reach a compromise it is the fault of both people.

Yes he did. He appointed unilaterally two generals, when he only had the authority to reach a compromise with the President.

But since that happened after the President had unilaterally appointed two generals, surely the President should be arrested as well? And what exactly was Rios meant to do? Let de Conti walk all over him?

General Rios, you are a deluded and unfeeling man. President de Conti is partisan for the most obvious of reasons! You of the left failed completely in the elections, and only by spewing falsifications about "non-partisanship" and fabricating your positions were you ever elected. You have alienated and misled your constituents from the moment that you entered office.

Now, you must stand down on the issue of General appointments. The people and Congreso of Chile elected conservative Representatives, and you subvert their voices through lies and threats of coup.

I warn you, Rios; if your usurpation is not stopped through political means, my party compatriots and I will protect the voice of democracy and the rights of the office of President through any means possible.

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

The "people" (or rather, those allowed to vote) elected a Conservative government. That does not mean that they want the Military commanded by a sole faction as well. What country except for our Chile does such a thing?

The "people" (or rather, those allowed to vote) elected a Conservative government. That does not mean that they want the Military commanded by a sole faction as well. What country except for our Chile does such a thing?

I cannot say that you are wrong, however let me pose a counter-question: in how many countries are the military and government not synonymous? Furthermore, how many countries allow non-staged elections?

You seem to take our democracy for granted, despite the fact that we are located on one of the most unstable, military dictatorship-gripped continents in the world.

But since that happened after the President had unilaterally appointed two generals, surely the President should be arrested as well? And what exactly was Rios meant to do? Let de Conti walk all over him?

We are not talking about arrests here. We're talking about keeping one of both appointments.

In my humble opinion, they should've splitted the armies between the two of them to avoid further controversy. However, I liked the president's appointments in the army, and that's why I support the emergency bill.

It is a curiosity that I am vilified for being partial. While I was a member of the FNT I want it noted that in the presidential vote I did not vote. I would also like to announce my resignation from the FNT. For those who think the announcement of our new leader us related I would advise that I withdrew while leading that race.

General rios

Father Zarenta, growing tired of the political squabbles and instability of Chile, has left for Africa, where he intends to do some real good.

name: Esteban Varde
born: 1866
party: independent (populist)
bio: Esteban Varde has had a tragic life. Both of his parents died when he was young, and he worked in factories until a new wave of immigrants willing to work for less came along and he was fired. He drifted into a life of crime, and was arrested and spent two years in prison. When he was released, he finally hit upon the occupation that would become the rest of his life. Union organizing. He created the Chilean Federation of Labor, or CFL, and worked towards getting the best rights possible for workers. He is however, blatantly racist, as he does not allow immigrants to join the CFL, as they are responsible for "stealing" jobs from "true" Chileans in his eyes. His fiery oratory skills that he directs against the Republicanos for supporting the "horrid institution of capitalism" and the Socalistas for "causing unemployment" because of their "friendliness towards foreigners stealing Chilean jobs." He was elected to the congresso by a landslide by those who don't like the current make up of Chilean politics, and he is sometimes called "The Third Way Congressmen."

We are not talking about arrests here. We're talking about keeping one of both appointments.

In my humble opinion, they should've splitted the armies between the two of them to avoid further controversy. However, I liked the president's appointments in the army, and that's why I support the emergency bill.

And that is the problem which the CoS is meant to counteract. A military under the monolithic power of a single political ideology/bloc. This is something which the superfluous emergency bill is trying to do. As well, it is nto an emergency bill as there is no emergency. Still, the fact that such a bill has been proposed and the fact that it seems so urgent to many is - in my opinion - a cause for worry.