• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The President and Army Chief of Staff have reached an impasse on the appointment of generals for the next term. The President has attempted to appoint his own generals without the Chief of Staff's consent, precipitating a Constitutional Crisis!

This is not a coup and there won't be any fighting. However, I still need the declarations of the incumbent military to see who they will side with during this crisis: will you accept the President's appointments without the Chief of Staff's consent or instead stand by the Chief of Staff?

Many of you are generals or ministers and I need your declarations Supporting the President or Supporting the Chief of Staff!

Army of Northern Chile ((18 brigades (12inf 6art)) - Captain Rios ((Rudders10)) - CHIEF OF STAFF
Army of Patagonia ((18 brigades (10inf 6art 2cav))) - General Sebastian Hidalgo ((MastahCheef117))
Army of the Republic ((20 brigades (14inf 6art)) - Vacant - ABSTAIN
Reserve Army ((14 brigades ( 9inf 3art 2cav )) General Jesus Gonzales ((yourworstnightm))
Garrison of the Panama Canal ((8 brigades (5inf 3art)) - General Saez ((Seek75))
Navy and Marine Force((6 brigades (5inf 1art)) - Eduardo Alvarez ((Gloa))
Capital Guard ((18 brigades (12inf 6art))) - ABSTAIN

Recalling that in concordance with the 1896 Military Command Act, the President will have previously resigned his commission as general of the Army of the Republic, the general position of the Army of the Republic is vacant and automatically abstaining. Similarly, the capital stack will automatically abstain.

The President will win the right to appoint a general of every army supporting him (and a corresponding fraction of Chile's total brigades), while the Chief of Staff will gain the right for every army supporting him. Abstaining armies will be allotted between them based on the non-abstaining votes.

This crisis can also be defused by the following means: 1) The President and the Chief of Staff reaching an agreement on general appointments, 2) an act of the Congreso, or 3) (Something I've momentarily blanked on - there was a third way but I don't remember what it is.)

Additionally, if anyone can find the original statement of the Chief of Staff Act, that would be helpful. It was passed just after the 1866 Presidential Election, but as far as I can tell, it was never stated in the thread. Riccardo93, would you happen to have a copy floating around?

EDIT: Oh, and all soldiers and pops in Chile get a militancy and consciousness boost too.

I must agree with the CoS. The law says the President and the CoS must make their nominations together. This move by the president is illegal. I plea to you all to allow the Supreme Court find a Constitutional solution.

You only agree with him because you were in his list of appointments. This support for the CoS is only a proof of Rios plot to foil the war with Argentina. He fears the democratic victories of the right and wants to take cobtrol of the army to destabilize the conservative government DURING WARTIME. He does not only desire to place an army og the pacifist left but he also desires to obstruct the war they didnt agree with.

Edit:

For the president!

I believe we may get to a stalemate.

Last edited:
I Support President de Conti!

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo

Army of Northern Chile ((18 brigades (12inf 6art)) - Captain Rios ((Rudders10)) - CHIEF OF STAFF
Army of Patagonia ((18 brigades (10inf 6art 2cav))) - General Sebastian Hidalgo ((MastahCheef117)) - PRESIDENT
Army of the Republic ((20 brigades (14inf 6art)) - Vacant - ABSTAIN
Reserve Army ((14 brigades ( 9inf 3art 2cav )) General Jesus Gonzales ((yourworstnightm)) - CHIEF OF STAFF
Garrison of the Panama Canal ((8 brigades (5inf 3art)) - General Saez ((Seek75)) - PRESIDENT
Navy and Marine Force((6 brigades (5inf 1art)) - Eduardo Alvarez ((Gloa))
Capital Guard ((18 brigades (12inf 6art))) - ABSTAIN

That was uncannily fast, guys. We still need Eduardo Alvarez ((Gloa))'s vote.

The accusations that honorable General Rios tries to block the war with Argentina is ridiculous. It was passed in the Congresso and supported by a democratically elected president, and every general in the Chilean army would follow orders and invade Argentina, since it's supported by the majority of the Chilean people. If I was allowed to retain my position in the military, I would join in the offensive against Argentina if I was ordered to. This has nothing to do with the war with Argentina. This is about a president deciding to unconstitutionally ignore the suggestions of the CoS. This is about a president filling the army by his political allies.

I myself have been notified by General Rios of "proofs" against President de Conti that he "wishes me to step down", as I present a "clear and present danger" and my army is a "knife at the throat of democracy". Though I do not believe this true, I stand readily behind President de Conti and force General Rios to acquit his claims.

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo

I myself have been notified by General Rios of "proofs" against President de Conti that he "wishes me to step down", as I present a "clear and present danger" and my army is a "knife at the throat of democracy". Though I do not believe this true, I stand readily behind President de Conti and force General Rios to acquit his claims.

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo

Yes, there are rumours of conspiracy, though they are not about the president. There are rumours of your involvement in a nationalist coup that intends to get rid of our democracy. Whatever proof you have, I dont care for it might be fabricated. I have absolutely no problem in publicly admiting I was the one who warned the president of foul play and I asked him for the removal of your army. I fear both the pacifist left and general rios

Thoght i was wrong about you and would like to gask for an apology

Yes, there are rumours of conspiracy, though they are not about the president. There are rumours of your involvement in a nationalist coup that intends to get rid of our democracy. Whatever proof you have, I dont care for it might be fabricated. I have absolutely no problem in publicly admiting I was the one who warned the president of foul play and I asked him for the removal of your army. I fear both the pacifist left and general rios

I assure you, there are no left wing plot. But I fear very much there is a right wing one.

Apology accepted. These rumors of me trying to instigate a coup are so ridiculously and obviously fear-mongering that it makes me lose faith in Chilean politics.

Last edited:
"All that says, Gonzales, is that you do not know of a left-wing plot. There is a crucial difference, one which you will not recognise until it is too late. And Hidalgo, rescind your offer, or the left may ask you to uphold it."

Severiano Miramontes

I wonder how a Left-wing plot would even be successful, what with the current Right-dominated situation. Therefore, I do wonder why it is so relevant and urgent to you.

- General Remedio Hakkihäälenin

Last edited:
I am not sure who to support on this issue, I hope that the Presidente and Chief of Staff will work together on this issue.

I wonder how a Left-wing plot would even be successful, what with the current Right-dominated situation. Therefore, I do wonder why it is so relevant and urgent to you.

"Hakkihäälenin, many of us believe quite rightly that you would launch a coup given the chance, and therefore, we cannot give you that chance."

Severiano Miramontes

"Hakkihäälenin, many of us believe quite rightly that you would launch a coup given the chance, and therefore, we cannot give you that chance."

Severiano Miramontes
Agreed the communistas preach nothing but rebellious sentiment and have rebelled against the government before.

Severiano Miramontes

Then how would I be able to do so? Do I command a large organised force capable of marching onto the capital? Also, have I asked for command of an Army? Furthermore, the suspicion levelled against us Communistas is irrational. The only Communist uprising occured due to reasons which are wholly justified.

Last edited:
I request the President reassign me to the Ambassadorship of Italy, as I have grown tired of this political squabbling (Francisco de Santa Rosa retires from Chilean politics, and now my new character).

Augusto de Santa Rosa

Born: 25 November 1875.
Office: Colonel in Grand Army of the Republic
Political views: Unknown/ Independent

Augusto de Santa Rosa was born in the aftermath of the Fourth Chilean War, and saw the Republic struggle to defeat the much weaker Argentina in his youth. The fiercely nationalistic young man decided to go against his father's wishes and seek a military career, graduating from the Military Academy of Santiago in 1895, after only two years of attending. By 1896, through a mixture of military talent and family connections, the young soldier had reached the rank of Colonel.

---

As my father has decided to retire, I will voice my opinion in his stead. I will support the President in this matter, as the Chief of Staff has now been granted far to much power, which I know, and our new President knows, must be curtaile so that Chile can rebuild it's military strength.

I am certain that the former General de Conti will make fine military appointments.

Last edited: