• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I choose to run on the Republicano platform because there was a time, many decades ago, when that meant more than a political stance. There was a time when to be a Republicano was to be against tyranny, and for a democratic Chilean nation. A time when the people of Chile were united under one banner, and not divided by partisan discord. This was the Golden Age of our nascent nation - an age I wish to restore. I shall forge a united government, for the people and for the nation. I shall sweep aside the nepotism that has come to dominate our political landscape, and unveil a new dawn on the Chilean Republic.

- General Charles Maximilien, Prince de Conti

General Maximilien,

Please take the time to detail your own platform specifically, citing fiscal, military and social intentions as I have displayed previously. We must see who is the true Republicano candidate, and who is merely on the ticket for the support.

With so many military men in the primary I will not be surprised to see a number of coups following the election.

With so many military men in the primary I will not be surprised to see a number of coups following the election.

I suspect the opposite. If they run for office then I believe they should not also be able to command an Army. You are a soldier or a politician not both.

In fact I believe this should be made compulsory. I therefore propose the MILITARY COMMAND ACT
The focus of theis is to ensure that there is a split between the military and government.The points of the ACT are below
1. Any General who wishes to run for Presidency should immediately resign his command.
2. If unsuccesful for the Presidency the General is not allowed to revert to command of an army until after the following term.

This will hopefully prevent military commanders seeking office and then using their army to force a result if they lose.

General Rios

and yet most are still running with the titles they had in the military making me believe that is not the case.

With the sudden spike in Republicanism following the communist fiasco, I doubt there will be a coup yet.

The danger of a military coup is very real. There has been attempts to overthrow the Republic after every election. We do need to do something to limit the possibilities of a military-man turned politician to use his troops against the elected government.

For those of you who didn't see it, the thread was locked again last night due to OOC posting/other violations of the thread and forum rules. It was only for a few hours, but I've been warned by the mods that next time it could be permanent. So I'd like to remind you all that there is still no OOC posting in this thread, and that every time you do post OOC in the thread, threaten another character in character, or launch a personal attack against others you risk shutting down the thread permanently, not to mention that you're risking your own ban.

Most of you have been fine on these rules, but there are a few of you who haven't. I'd like to further remind everyone that this is a thread with more than 25 participants, and if your actions do lead to the thread being shut down, you shut it down for everyone.

To Recap:
-Still no OOC posting
-The next time the thread is locked, it could be permanent

Polls will close tomorrow morning at the usual time.

Good afternoon members of the Congreso,

Obviously, candidacy for the Republicano nomination has become prevalent in recent days. Therefore, I would ask that all candidates join me in submitting platforms before the election itself and during this primary.

My candidacy is one of National pride, and the Chilean people are my first interest. Specifically, the military prowess and consequent security advantages of our nation are my first priority. I would immediately ensure that our military is the finest and one of the largest in the world.

Fiscally, I would demand significantly lower taxes on every last strata to ensure that our economy grows only larger. When every Chilean can prosper and purchase to satisfy his wants and needs, we will be infallible.

Religiously, I support a strong moralist stance. Chile is a Catholic country, and we must unite our minorities by the banner of Catholicism. Many of us are Catholic, and thus this is what we should be identified with.

These are my main issues, but I have many more firm and principled stances.

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

Last edited:
I am afraid the Nacionales ceased to exist some time ago Mr Hidalgo. The Patriotas are probably the closest to your viewpoint.

David Bevan

I see. Then it seems I shall change my vote of confidence from the Nacionales (who no longer exist) to the Patriotas.

I too see merit in this Military Command Act. Some generals might see this as taking their rights away, but the inalienable right to vote is still in place. I believe this bill is essential in limiting the influence of the military on the government, and we have already done so much to limit the influence of the government on the military.

-Colonel de Porto

General Maximilen, you and I have differed on the way in which we wish to deal with the miltia problem. If you were elected president how would you go about fixing it?
-Colonel Francisco Salazar

The Military Command act is a noble sentiment. Coups have become a prevalent trend, and in a modern society this simply cannot be.

However, I would propose an amendment to the bill:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MILITARY COMMAND ACT
The focus of this is to ensure that there is a split between the military and government.The points of the ACT are below

1. Any General who wishes to run for Presidency should immediately resign his command.

2. If unsuccessful for the Presidency the General is not allowed to revert to command of an army until and unless he is reinstated to that post by the incoming President.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is not wise to foster resentment within the military complex, and to remove our ablest officers from the field for an extended period of time would be foolish.

Respectfully,

Senator and Republicano Presidential Candidate Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

General Maximilen, you and I have differed on the way in which we wish to deal with the miltia problem. If you were elected president how would you go about fixing it?
-Colonel Francisco Salazar

I don't see what is the problem. The Red Guard was recently disposed...

AN URGENT MESSAGE FOR THE REPUBLICANO PARTY OF CHILE:

As the time draws near for the primary election, the voting has run completely dry as many declare their candidacy. I now feel that I must admonish many of the less experienced Republicano candidates to abide by their responsibilities to the party and to Chile, and withdraw from the primary contest.

In order to accomplish this task, anyone who endorses my candidacy whether a candidate or not shall receive a guaranteed post in the Government, should I become elected.

The time has come to return to the days of old, when Chile rose exponentially to become the world power we are today. It is time once again that the Chilean people's collective interests were represented with one voice in Government. I tell you, this shall be accomplished with an Escovedo Presidency.

We must achieve further greatness by funding and expanding the military that was recently cut in favor of the navy, and by putting our enemies to the sword! Argentina is weak, and it is time that we united and strengthened her people under one Chilean banner!

The lives of the people of Chile, too, must become easier. I propose the lowering of taxes on every strata so that their newly acquired purchase power might continue to fuel the Chilean economy's orbital growth.

We must, and we will, accomplish all of our goals with a return to the tradition of greatness!

The Military Command act is a noble sentiment. Coups have become a prevalent trend, and in a modern society this simply cannot be.

However, I would propose an amendment to the bill:
MILITARY COMMAND ACT
The focus of this is to ensure that there is a split between the military and government.The points of the ACT are below

2. If unsuccessful for the Presidency the General is not allowed to revert to command of an army until and unless he is reinstated to that post by the incoming President.

It is not wise to foster resentment within the military complex, and to remove our ablest officers from the field for an extended period of time would be foolish.

Respectfully,

Senator and Republicano Presidential Candidate Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

I think this is a good amendment and support the Act only with this amendment. Otherwise we would risk having our most experienced Generals not being able to command armies when we need them.

President Pedro Rivera

AN URGENT MESSAGE FOR THE REPUBLICANO PARTY OF CHILE:

As the time draws near for the primary election, the voting has run completely dry as many declare their candidacy. I now feel that I must admonish many of the less experienced Republicano candidates to abide by their responsibilities to the party and to Chile, and withdraw from the primary contest.

In order to accomplish this task, anyone who endorses my candidacy whether a candidate or not shall receive a guaranteed post in the Government, should I become elected.

The time has come to return to the days of old, when Chile rose exponentially to become the world power we are today. It is time once again that the Chilean people's collective interests were represented with one voice in Government. I tell you, this shall be accomplished with an Escovedo Presidency.

We must achieve further greatness by funding and expanding the military that was recently cut in favor of the navy, and by putting our enemies to the sword! Argentina is weak, and it is time that we united and strengthened her people under one Chilean banner!

The lives of the people of Chile, too, must become easier. I propose the lowering of taxes on every strata so that their newly acquired purchase power might continue to fuel the Chilean economy's orbital growth.

We must, and we will, accomplish all of our goals with a return to the tradition of greatness!

Sir this is detestable! Handing out government position's to your friend's and supporter's as if they were candy's or treat's. This is detestable sir and I hope the republicanos have the moral integrity to resist such foul corruption.

I thank the esteemed members for their views on my Military Command Act and accept the amendment to the act and propose that it go forward in that way.

I must say though to Senor Escovedo. That is one of the most blatant and contemptible acts of bribery I have seen in my career. Someone so desperate for power that he will hand out the priceless offices of government to anyone who supports him... One gets the feeling that if a dog lifted its leg at you then you would make it Minister of the Interior. Although I know of some dogs that would make better Ministers than some we have had previously.

General Rios

anyone who endorses my candidacy whether a candidate or not shall receive a guaranteed post in the Government, should I become elected.

Is this not a system of spoils, Senor, of corruption and bribery?

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo

Sir this is detestable! Handing out government position's to your friend's and supporter's as if they were candy's or treat's. This is detestable sir and I hope the republicanos have the moral integrity to resist such foul corruption.

I agree with you señor! This man is clearly bribing his way to the presidency!