• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Allied Government Stability Act: Abstain

1894 Land Reform Act: No, I remain convinced that there is a better solution.

Agrarian Agglomeration Act: Absolutely and unequivocally no! This "reform" plants the seeds of Communism. We must allow the market to dictate land, as in any other matter.

I urge and demand the disintegration and dispersion of all militias. The Comunista dogs have used theirs only for rebellion, and while others may be and are more responsible, we cannot rely on it.

Furthermore, and building off of this, I propose a lessened punishment for the Comunistas of Chile. My suggestion is to impose a forced hiatus for the coming elections on the Comunistas, which would mean that they would not be able to propose a candidate or vote. In essence, they would receive the just disenfranchisement that we have delivered unto any other rebel.

I would not go so far as destroying the party, as I have suggested in my other impassioned speeches. This would only cause great resentment among the ranks of the traitorous, villainous Comunistas. We must not allow them to hate us; instead, we must keep our hate for the radical left to a minimum and allow the situation to end.

The Comunistas have made their bed, and now they must sleep in it. It has become my mission to ensure that they never again flaunt the political power to rally 1000 people to their cause, much less 50000.

Senator Alejandro Ruiz de Escovedo

"As a student trained in liberal enlightenment philosophy would know, the people do not rebel. Rebellion is the act of returning to the state of war. The people lease to the government certain rights, when the government becomes destructive of these rights, it has rebelled against the people. The people have a right to resist this, to void its trust with the government and to decide within the political community which government should next be implemented to ensure liberty. What we are doing is resisting the rebellion of the government against the political community. THose who do not join this resistance are joining in the rebellion of the government. This is not a coup or a "revolution" because we lost an election, this is resistance to the government singling out a minority and attempting to remove it from the political community, from the protections and privileges of society."

- Senador Ferran Martí

((LOCKE))

Rivera 1894-1895: The Fallen Sickle​

The Chilean Communist Uprisings of 1894 and 1895 fell short of a civil war, though ultimately 180,000 Red Guards and communist sympathizers would take up arms over a two year period, the strife was confined to Patagonia Septentrional and Neuquen, and the worst of the fighting had ended by April of 1894. Following the forcible discharge of known Comunistas by the Rivera administration (a move that was lamented by some members of the government and applauded by others), General Armando Renin chose to join his rebellious soldiers in open revolt against the Third Republic, joined by the protesting Army Chief of Staff, Dio Guerrero. The FNT chairman and former President Sérgio Gogołów refused to join the rebellion but resigned his office in protest, claiming that reactionary Rivera Administration discharge policies, and not advanced scheming of the Comunistas had precipitating the crisis. Renin would find no other supporters among the government, and was left to make his stand alone in the city of Neuquen.

Armando Renin's force of more than 40,000 would remain in the fortified city for roughly two months as the Army of Patagonia, the Grand Army of the Republic, and the naval marine force rapidly moved to surround him. Though the first fighting began in February, 1894 between the Army of Patagonia and hastily mobilized Red Guard units protecting Renin's southern and eastern flanks, the battle between the rebellious and loyalist armies was not joined until March, when the three forces surrounded Renin and the Grand Army of the Republic and the Army of the South assaulted the fortifications at Neuquen. Though Renin was on the defensive, most who knew him also knew that he was an attacking general, not a defending one, and the defense of the city was not as competently executed as it might have been in other hands. The battle lasted more than a month, and though the fighting initially went in the Comunista's favor, it quickly swung against them and they succumb to sheer numbers in mid-April. Armando Renin was killed in battle on the last days of the fighting; Dio Guerrero did not have that luxury, and was captured by the marines in Curaco in late April. The Comunista Red Guard would continue guerrilla warfare against the Republic until the end of the Rivera administration, boldly mobilizing another 20,000 soldiers in a second rebellion following a series of bloody strikes in La Pampa. However, they would never come close to defeating the Republic which, by the end of the Rivera administration, could have fielded a million professional soldiers.

News was not all bad for rebels, even if they found no success in Chile. Even as Renin fought to death in Patagonia, Germanist rebels overthrew the government of Argentina, again leading to Chilean discussion of a possible expedition into Argentina. For the moment, however, Rivera dismissed the notion in favor of dealing with the Comunista threat.

The Rivera administration's economic successes would continue into 1895. Nearly a million people a year continued to immigrate into Chile, resulting a proportional explosion in the size of the Chilean workforce. In 1895, the half-decade demographic estimate pegged the Chilean population at just over 20 million people, including five million working men. Industrial output had doubled during the Rivera administration, and unemployment was finally beginning to taper off. The 1894 introduction of electric lighting into most Chilean factories, and the spread of commercial retail stores throughout the country, was credited for most of the boom times. Rivera's planned expansion of the Chilean naval bases was the final triumph of his administration, the last such base being finished in August of 1894, finally allowing Alvarez to dock or build his fleet wherever he pleased.

With the Communists fallen and their banners scattered, Chile sped into 1896, the election year that would govern the turn of the century.

-------------------------
National Defense Authorization Act
-All organized and militia or groups of twenty and up of armed individuals but register with the government and take an oath to uphold the consitution of the nation of Chile
-All members of any groups militia's that are currently comitting any unlawful action against the government of Chile, shall be branded a criminal and forced to turn himself into the government of Chile
-If any militia's are suspected of rebellion or any other form of treason they are to be open to a full investigation by a government authorities with the potential consequence of being shut down and having their weapons confiscated if these rumor's prove true.

Player Actions Needed:
Okay. Agitators, Presidential Candidates, and CoS candidates declare.

I am also ordering a roll call for all political parties. That is to say, the Liberales, Republicanos, Patriotas, FNT, and Comunistas all need at least four votes statements of support to continue on as parties. For this purpose and this purpose only, disenfranchised people and agitators can voice their support.

We also have some stuff to vote on: Yes/No on the National Defense Authorization Act and on the Military/Industrial Complex, and Guilty/Not Guilty for Dio Guerrero ((Rogov)).

A sample ballot would be:
Party: Liberales Nuevos/Republicanos/Patriotas/FNT/Comunistas
National Defense Authorization Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Military Industrial Complex: Yes/No/Abstain
Dio Guerrero: Guilty/Not Guilty

Sample declarations appear as:
I'm running for President on the Liberales Nuevos/Republicanos/Patriotas/FNT/Comunistas ticket!
I'm running for Chief of Staff!
I'm agitating!

Also, President Rivera ((atomicsoda)), did you intend to veto the Agrarian Agglomeration Act? Otherwise it's in a golden vote.

And Patriotas should voice their opinion on that name change thing they've been discussing.

Party: FNT
National Defense Authorization Act: Abstain
Military Industrial Complex: Yes
Dio Guerrero: Not Guilty

Communistas to continue operations

"How are we the ones wanting the Chilean man silenced? We are not the ones advocating for the banning of an entire ideology. We are not the ones depriving Chileans of their ability to think. I am merely standing up, against what is blatant abuse and tyranny. For the soldiers without jobs because of their beliefs, for the homeless without food because of the rampant Industrial drive, fed by the capitalists. To silence the Communistas, is to silence a portion of the people. To silence the people, is to grasp tyranny's hand, and make it your wife."

-Comrade Armando Renin

Like you have silenced the liberals? It didn't seem that wrong back then when they had an ideology that wasn't yours. Let's face it: You do not want YOUR ideas silenced, but don't matter if the OTHER ideas were banned. If tommorow the Patriotas were banned, you would claim it was for the common good. That's the reason why we never trusted the communist party. If they had been less self-centered, they might have won the previous election.

Dio Guerrero: Guilty

Party: Republicanos
NDAA: Abstain (only because of the name...)
Military Industrial Complex: No
Dio Guererro: Guilty

I am running for President as a Republicano! President Rivera's policies may have brought economic prosperity (then again, we've been growing since 1866...), but his policies directly led to the last Civil War, and the loss of hundreds of thousands of men.

I shall once again run for the Presidency on the FNT ticket!

Dio Guererro: Not Guilty - I do not believe him guilty, but merely misguided. He had valid concerns.

Members of the FNT

I hereby declare the Pre-Election Committee open.

- FNT Chairman Sérgio Gogołów

Dio Guererro: Abstain while I consider.

I announce that I am running for Chief of Staff.

Party: Nacionales (if they still exist?...)
National Defense Authorization Act: Yes
Military Industrial Complex: Abstain
Dio Guerrero: Guilty!

I, Sebastian Hidalgo, will be running for Chief of Staff.

Party: Independent
Military Industrial complex: Yay!
NDAA: Yay!

It is high time that the many independents in this Congreso gather under one roof to discuss policy, and what better a place to congregate than in my villa? Patriotas will also be invited! Punch will be served! I await your replies.

"I am, and shall remain, a Comunista! The previous regime, through conspiracy and authoritarian practices, provoked a necessary resistance from Comunistas everywhere. We must continue this resistance to the new dictatorship which descends. This is no longer a Republic, but a club for the ideologies of the bourgeoisie to compete regarding how best to oppress the workers. A las baricadas!"

- Senador Ferran Martí

((I'm agitating!))

...As blood trickled down his mouth, and a Red Guard member, not over 18, held his head up, Armando Renin's last words were whispered from his lips...

"Don't let the Revolution die with me...."

Supporting the Communistas.

((I can't agitate while disenfranchised, correct?))

Party: Patriotas
National Defense Authorization Act: Yes![/B
]Military Industrial Complex: Yes
This country is plagued by unpatriotic leftist's and greedy men who only wish to stuff their own pocket's. We need a man who is willing to be firm with the communist terrorist's a man who can lead Chile into a brave new age. Which is why I am running for the Patriotics ticket for president of Chile

Party: Patriotas
National Defense Authorization Act: Yes![/B
]Military Industrial Complex: Yes
This country is plagued by unpatriotic leftist's and greedy men who only wish to stuff their own pocket's. We need a man who is willing to be firm with the communist terrorist's a man who can lead Chile into a brave new age. Which is why I am running for the Patriotics ticket for president of Chile

As a reminder, Leeroy, you're still disenfranchised for your role in the last coup.

Senor I fear that you are ineligible to run for President based on your prior history.

Genertal Rios

I will run for COS, as a supporter of stability in the Republic, over partisanship.

-Colonel De Porto