• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rivera 1892-1894: Red Guard Rising​

The Andonist Rebellion of 1892 was short-lived. There was little support for the old liberal agenda to be found in the Rivera cabinet or among his generals, and the 21,000 rebels were soundly routed by the army of the south and order restored to Patagonian provinces within two weeks. However, that was not to say that they were unsuccessful everywhere, or even that they had failed. The rebellion along the Argentinian border had not been confined to Chile, and a much smaller force of about one brigade of poorly armed Libertarian rebels overran the crippled remnants of the Argentinian army shortly thereafter, and after a series of skirmishes, seized Buenos Aires in 1893. The incumbent government of the Republic of Argentina announced its intention to continue fighting the ragtag rebels, but as of 1894 had only ultimately lost more and more ground to the guerillas, including most of the coastline.

Ultimately, though, the 1892 Rebellion was little noted, even in the most sensationalist elements of the Chilean media. Most of the nation's attention was on the continued immigration and industrial boom under Rivera, which the papers nominally termed "the Gilded Age of Chile." In the next year and a half, Chilean industrial output would jump a third again and the nation's population would near a benchmark 20 million total, with a workforce of nearly five million. The Congreso roundly debated how best to fuel or harness this boom, with the "Industrial Encouragement Act" - seeking to lower taxes and increase protective and revenue tariffs - was eventually defeated by a narrow margin in the senate, the Chilean upper house concluded that there was no need to fix what wasn't broken. This would not be the only bill to be defeated during these gold-plated years. The Patriota-backed Land Seizure Compensation Act, seeking to compensate those land-owners who had been stripped of property under the Gogolów administration, was also soundly beaten due to FNT/Comunista opposition and controversy over the tax obligation it would impose on the new owners. Much to President Rivera's chagrin, the vote on the bill was not even close. The only landmark piece of legislation passed was the Equality Act, an act regarding the rights of indigenous peoples.

The heavily conservative Reclaim our Youth Bill, which regulated the militias in Chile with special exemptions for the church, was soundly defeated, essentially ending any ambitions the Patriotas might have had of legislative progress in Chile. Rivera, supposedly frustrated with his inability to advance his own agenda in the Senate, was said to have proclaimed that he would have gone before the Congreso and argued the points himself were he not convinced they would vote against hearing him.

That is not to say the Rivera administration had now accomplishments. One of its principle successes was the re-integration of Haiti into the South American common market, and the completion of the construction of the new Chilean fleet and naval bases (rapidly expanded the power of the navy and, by extension, Eduardo Alvarez - who said he had never seen Panama so crowded.) However, despite the success of industry in Chile, employment began to balloon in many key regions. Tucuman, Arequipa, and Potosi all nearly reached 20% unemployment as free market industry was unable to keep up with the pace of immigration into the regions; Crazzio's industrial ministry initially authorized the state-funded expansion of defense related industries, such as canned food and rations, but eventually agreed to broaden the definition of "defense-related" to include textiles (which he justified by way of uniforms) and ultimately liquor, much to the chagrin of the temperance movement. The FNT heavily criticized these measures as insufficient to abate the unemployment crises, and the Comunistas actively recruited from the lines outside the soup kitchens.

Perhaps in response to heightened Comunista activity, a purge of Comunistas within the military also began under Ferrari's defense ministry. Though many Comunistas, such as General Renin, had found their way into the military by political appointment, Ferrari (under orders from Rivera) claimed that "Juarista" revolutionary communists had concealed their presence within the military and intended to attempt another overthrow of the Republic. Particular attention was given to Renin's Army of the South, with 20,000 of the 30,000 troops discharged nation-wide from purge coming from his army. Renin was vocally opposed to the moves, asking if Comunistas could not serve Chile like all other patriots. Comunista anger following the purge of 1893 quickly ballooned into rebellion, and on February 15, 1894, 50,000 Red Guards - including many former soldiers - took to the streets in open rebellion.

-------------------------
Allied Government Stability Act

1. The President is authorized to use Chilean Military Forces to intervene against rebels attempting to overthrow an allied government in our sphere.

2. Chile will also give military aid to allied governments facing a rebellion.

1894 Land Reform Act

The Government of Chile will form a committee with the goal to create fair deals between the aristocracy and the peasantry over the land seized by President Gogolow. The committee's sole purpose is to create deals and contracts, not to seize land form either the peasantry or the elite. If a deal cannot be worked out, the aristocracy will be compensated with unused government owned land of the same value.

Agrarian Agglomeration Act

1. The individual plots created by the Agrarian Land Redistribution Act will be agglomerated into cooperative farming units (CFU), on a basis of fifty families per CFU,
2. The families of each CFU will elect a Superintendent, responsible for managing agrarian affairs in the CFU and reporting to agricultural authorities,
3. The Government of Chile will issue compensation to all landlords affected by the Agrarian Land Redistribution Act, adjusted for inflation,
4. This compensation will be divided as debt between all the CFUs, to be gradually repaid over the course of five to ten years.

Player Actions Needed:
Ministers and Generals either need to declare themselves For the Government or For the Revolution.

We additionally have three bills to vote Yes or No on: the Allied Government Stability Act, the 1891 Land Reform Act, and the Agrarian Agglomeration Act.

Sample Declaration:
I am For the Government/Revolution.

Sample Ballot:
Allied Government Stability Act: Yes/No/Abstain
1894 Land Reform Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Agrarian Agglomeration Act: Yes/No/Abstain

In case of conflict between two bills, the one with more votes takes force over the other.

Voting closes in two days, on the 16th, 10 AM PST. (6 PM GMT, I guess.)

Last edited:
For the Government and for the 1891 ((1894, if we can rename it, TH)) Land Reform Act.

I also belive we should cut taxes by 5-10% if at all possible, and possibly a slight decrease in the tariff. I'll call it the 1896 Tax Act (unless someone wants to give it a more clever name), and we can vote on it during election time. Any supporters, or suggestions?

Last edited:
Allied Government Stability Act: Yes
1891 Land Reform Act: Abstain
Agrarian Agglomeration Act: Abstain

"Regarding the two agrarian bills, I view them as being unclear and poorly worded. I recommend that they be revised, especially since they deal with the same issue.

"However, regarding the uprising, there are no words that can express my disgust at these people. These same Communists who have repeatedly declared their loyalty to Chile now rebel not only against the lawful government, but against the very people and nation of Chile itself. Ferrari's decision to purge the armed forces of Communists was well-founded, as they have proven themselves the opposite of what they claim. I can do only one thing: order the arrest of every single rebel on charges of treason. At this stage an amnesty cannot be considered. For the Government!"

Severiano Miramontes
Minister of the Interior

I am For the Government

1894 Land Reform Act: Yes
Agrarian Agglomeration Act: Yes

The Army of Patagonia stands For the Government.

1894 Land Reform Act: Yes
Agrarian Agglomeration Act: Yes

- Gen. Sebastian Hidalgo

I am For the Republic. I did not believe that Rivera's orders to purge the Military of Juarists would cause such an uproar from the Communistas, I thought wrong. I would have gladly kept them in armies, but alas we must all follow the orders from above.

- Minister of Defense, Christiano Ferarri

I am For the Government.

1894 Land Reform Act: Abstain
Agrarian Agglomeration Act:No

The Land Reform Act is incredibly vague and leaves me with little knowledge of what it is intended to do. Therefore I will not cast a vote for or against it until it is clarified in such a way that it is clear to me what the intentions of the bill are.

I expect the government and military to treat these rebels as they did the last ones.

That is all

Colonel De Porto.

the mapuche peoples vote nay to all proposals.

We also thank the people of Chile for your noble decision to pass the equality act.

"The people have spoken. My army has been ostracized, my troops shamed, and the country thrown to the rich. Why may my men not have political views as any other soldier? Why do the poor suffer, in this "booming economy", while the rich buy another mansion, or invest in another nation? It..has become apparent, that this republic can no longer achieve the level of reform I thought possible. With these new measures taken by The Rivera government, I will do the one thing I have always said I would do. Stand against tyranny, and against a repressive government. I hereby declare myself FOR the revolution."

-Comrade Armando Renin

"Having heard of Renin's openly declared treason, I can do no less than to order his arrest on charges of high treason. His actions quite clearly come under the term 'ringleader'. I also wish to remind everyone that the punishment for high treason is death."

Severiano Miramontes

By that reasoning then surely the past Liberale rebellion were in the right after all. You communistas show your true colors by claiming your beliefs to be more in the right than the rest of ours. This complete disregard for what the majority of Chileans care about does nothing but sicken me.

- Ferarri

And of all the talk of loving the Republic, my fears, and the fears of all those who saw Juarez's coup as a sign to come, have come to pass. The comunistas have shown their true colours, and it is red, the bloodstains of Chilean people who will be cut down for foolishly trying to destroy this great nation.

I will also vote no on the Allied Government Stability Act. If we want to aid a nation, we should vote on it on a case by case basis, not simply give the President power over our money to 'aid' our allies.

"I am not fighting for my beliefs. I am not fighting to throw myself in power. I am fighting because twenty thousand of my men were thrown out of their jobs, because of their beliefs. I am fighting, because despite all the effort this government has put into its industrial acts, the poor still go hungry. I am fighting, because I have been asked to. You men, on the other hand, show you have been waiting to pounce on the Communistas since our creation. You do not ask our cause, you do not ask our reasons, you merely decide that we are evil, and must face a firing squad. If you truly believe this to be right, then by all means, go ahead."

-Comrade Armando Renin

Allied Government Stability Act: NO
1894 Land Reform Act: No
Agrarian Agglomeration Act: No

Irt is with sadness and disapointment that I have heard the news of Senor Renin's betrayal, although I know he does not think of it like that. And while I will admit sympathy for his plight, violence is not the answer, especially when one has sworn oaths to the people he now seeks to overthrow. Once more the Army of Northern Chile stands for The Government and wil put down this uprising, although with no gladness in my heart, rather sadness at the needeless waste of lives.

General Rios

We did not decide to condemn your men to death for rising against us, rising up against us automatically does that for itself. You were quick to condemn the last rebellion to death, but when it is your beliefs that rebel, the Government is in the wrong. President Rivera even said in his campaign he would reduce the size of the Army, and he has done just that. I did not want to specifically target men of specific beliefs, but orders are orders, and we must all respect our majority-elected government.

-Christiano Ferarri

"Renin, these punishments are because you have rebelled against the government which you have sworn to serve. I sympathise with your reasons, but I still know it to be a crime. And before you say I have thrown your men out of their jobs, remember that I am not Minister of Defence; that is Senor Ferrari. Nor am I the President; that is Senor Rivera. What I am is Minister of the Interior, and my job is to ensure that the laws of the nation are upheld."

Severiano Miramontes