• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is Badajoz running for re-election (or can he; I'm oblivious to Chilean government and its functioning...)? If he is, he has my support!

I want to be the liberal candidate. I will show you why: This was colonial Chile

LimitesColoniaA.jpg

This, gentlemen, is the map of spanish colonial province of Chile. As you may know, we gave the patagonia to the Argentinians when our army was routed by the spanish during the independence war and had to reorganize in argentinian lands. Argentinians are not our allies, and stand weak if our allies Brazil and Colombia join us in this crusade. We might benefit from access to the Atlantic ocean, as well as lots of farm land and same culture POPs that will gladly join our army. Therefore, I proclaim it is my goal to recover the Patagonia!

But I'm not an idealist, people. I know that we must pay our debts, and we only can do it with taxes! Therefore, I say raise the taxes, but don't touch our military budget! Tariffs are a necessary evil we must face if we wish to succeed. Maybe we won't be able to take these lands in my term.. we are not ready.. but when we do, it will be clear to everyone that my presidency took the first steps in the right direction.

You may ask, why is it important that we risk lives in this campaign? Because it's the only way to keep our freedom! Real, genuine independence from european powers.. that is the cause we fought for in our war of independence! What keeps us from being in the sphere of influence of an evil imperialist power? Status, of course! and I promise.. we will not lose our freedom!

Vote Zepeda! Vote for freedom!

I invite conservatives and moderates to form a coalition with us liberals to endure this presidential campaign.
Our diferent and similar views in different topics will converge and we will democratically improve our country. It is debate, and not total power, that takes the right turns into progress. Let us get together in the following campaign to defeat monarchists!

General and Congressman Zepeda

Last edited:
I would like to invite the Monarchists Party to join with the Partido Nacional for this election. We must join together if we have a chance of defeating the Liberal - Moderate political machine. I believe we have many of the same concerns with the Liberale government, although I do not support a Monarchy for Chile. I plan to increase military spending so that our armies are no longer are under-supplied and are prepared for unexpected tensions. We have a long border with Argentina and if a "border dispute" erupts we must be prepared to defend our claims. Our under-supplied and starving soldiers deserve better.

I also will launch a government review of the land confiscations under the Land Act and the corrupt redistribution of the land to capitalist cronies of the Liberale Party. The Land Act was a redistribution of private land by the government to their supporters and allies. I propose that if land was taken unfairly and redistributed in a corrupt process that the rightful owners shall be given back their land or it shall be auctioned off in an open and fair process free from political interference.

Senator Rivera - Partido Nacional.

((Oh, BTW, I have a plan to improve literacy.. just wait))

I respond to Mr. Rivera's comment about military budget with a simple fact: Our actual level of spending isn't low, and it worked on the last war. Let us keep it that way.

What are your policies Mr. Rivera?

Offering people bread and circuses now, are we? I find it ironic that our Reactionary counterparts would promise land reform, which I suspect will be a redistribution of land to soldiers, bribery to ensure they are allowed to keep their own positions. Gentlemen, this military spending will not be on equipment, but bribing people by filling their coffers. What better way to ensure loyalty as a general than promises of gold and bread? I also have a fear they will be ones triggering an incident, leading us down the path towards war by the force they wish to use to disturb the peace.

Gentlemen of the Monarchist Party, do not join this group of corrupt military dictators. They will be the end of your precious Crown and our precious prosperity!

I request that the propoal by... General-Congressman... Zepeda be added to the Nacional platform as well. It is a nobel plan, one that deserves to support of the military, as these lands and people are rightfuly Chilean.

-Colonel/Brigadier General Manuel Carerra

((General Congressman sounds so much like a Communist position))

I am not proposing Land Reform. It was the Land Act which I opposed that was land reform. Land was seized from private owners and redistributed to capitalist friends of the Liberales. I oppose the government confiscation of private lands from their rightful owners.

Perhaps both parties should calm down about the Land Act. It does seem likely that corruption may have been involved with the Liberale supporters and it also looks like the military may do the same with any redistribution. Perhaps a commitee with an even number of Liberale-Conservadore and Nacional members could be set up to investigate whether any corruption was involved, and redistribute the land legally in any cases that corruption was present.

((General Congressman sounds so much like a Communist position))

((Hm....))

"General Zapeda, if I may intervene here, the levels during the war were acceptable. But we have lost a great deal of funding and equipment due to the creation of the soldiers monument and the purchase of land from Peru."

-General Cesar Roseno

And that is indeed the reason why I propose raising taxes. It's not like there's other alternative to the financial problem. Remember we got a gold rush people! Let's put our national focus on the gold mine and set it to labourers, and see the money flow!

(( 36 pages and only 5 ingame years! ))

Last edited:
So now the Liberales wish to raise taxes on our citizens even further? Did you not just pass a "Compromise" to lower the taxes on the people? I wonder how the rest of the Liberale Party will respond to that...

Colonel Carrera, if you have an alternative to the financial problem feel free to suggest it. Emergencies force us to make an unwilling choice sometimes. If there's an alternative, I'll gladly support it. You are invited to participate in this coalition.

My top priority is for the military to be strengthened, the reacquisition of the land stolen from us by Argentina, and the continual democratic principles Chile now posses. The Partidio Nacional looks to be the best to fillful this.

(I can NOT believe I missed the start of the primaries ;-))

Under my leadership, Chile has benefited from Glorious Serene Democracy. We have expanded our northern boundaries, we have minimized military expenditures, and we have cleaned out our southern borders of the Spanish garrison. Elect me again for more glorious years in our Serene Democratic Chile!

General Zepeda, you have interesting policies over here. You propose higher taxes on our most free citizens of Chile, you propose keeping military expenditures high even though we are more secure than ever, you propose going to war against the last rival for glorious Chilean Freedom. I find that, on the record, a complete anathema to what we stood for, as Liberales, just a few years ago. I urge you to re-introduce yourself to our Liberale roots of freedom, low taxes, only necessary military expenditures, all for Glorious Serene Democratic Chile.

To all my supporters, I offer you five more years of freedom.

I offer myself up for the primaries, where the Chilean people will chose the candidate most worthy.

I plan to raise taxes to supply the military, particularly the navy, and fund an educational system. I plan to keep tariffs as low as possible to bring free trade into Chile and with it individual enterprise, working toward industrialization. Later I may also fund the construction of railroads, to improve trade efficiency. These changes will not come quickly, but they will come. Afterwards, we will be able to lower taxes. Until we have other major sources of income, taxes will be a necessity. I will avoid debt as much as possible, and work to slowly expand our borders at the smallest cost possible.

-Armando de Vasces

So currently, we have...

Liberales Candidates (Party of Power)
Michael Badajoz ((zagoroth)) -- Incumbent
Fernando Zepeda ((thekinguter))

Conservadores Candidates (In Coalition)
Armando de Vasces ((OConner))

Partido Nacional Candidates (In Opposition)
Senator Francisco Rivera ((atomicsoda))

Partido Monárquico Candidates
Senator Witold Tamiuszski ((tamius23))
Senator Emilio Hernandez de Caviezel ((hoi2geek))

I'd obviously like a few more people to stand before we get the primaries started.

Partido Monárquico will not stand this election until they get more statements of support. Right now they have two -- without at least four they won't run a candidate.

EDIT: Let me know if I missed you.

My top priority is for the military to be strengthened, the reacquisition of the land stolen from us by Argentina, and the continual democratic principles Chile now posses. The Partidio Nacional looks to be the best to fillful this.

Oh, Mr Carrera, I mean not to insult you but you seem to blind yourself from my point. I propose an agreement between our parties, to offer the same candidate, with the same goals. Our military budget is very high as it is, and in order to invade Argentina we MUST make our army stronger. But with what we've got now it's enough, for we can catch our enemy from two fronts, with this new alliance with Brazil.

Divide and conquer, Mr. Carrera. If we stand together we will stand a chance, as a coalition, against the other parties in the election (and against Argentina in the upcoming war)

Mr. President: I invite you to this motion as well. I'm indeed at crossroads with these pro-war policies! But consider it an investment of sorts, this enterprise of mine! Many benefits will come from this, belive me. When our income is doubled, and we are able to sustain our economy properly, industry will thrive! Consider this our own manifest destiny.. the men in the Patagonia are our cultural kin. They are repressed under the argentinian dictatorship! Why, if they are chileans, and many of them were born in Chilean lands before the lands were lost to our neighboors! They also need to be liberated.

You are a man of convictions, and I want to place you at the second highest position of power of my possible government. Would you agree to be my Minister of Internal affairs? It's practically a vice-president with power, unlike the Yankee VP. We would share the decision making, and you are my chief advisor. With your experience in the political situation and governance, and my leadership skills that shun in the last war, we will surely make the right choices.

-------------

Conservatives and Nationals: Do you want a coalition with the liberals?

(Whats the infamy like, how many colonies/ states).

I am in dis-alignment over this decision, our people have paid so much lives and money for many years. We want rest. If I was to support this, it would be with a Major-Coalition-of-Democratic-Serene-Republic-Nations-Against-The-Evil-Argentinian-Dictatorship. With a major coalition, we can use our standard level of military to fight Argentina without inhumane taxes and military spending.

I will run this primary General Zepeda, and I offer you the same position as my right-hand man should I win. I have no personal grudge or otherwise, I only want what is best for Her Most Serene Republic of Chile.

(Whats the infamy like, how many colonies/ states).

Infamy is zero. The war against Bolivia was a war of liberation. We have five states (Santiago, Arequipa, Los Rios, Potosi, and Chilean Aracania (Argentina has the rest of Aracania, but we don't have cores on it). No colonies.