• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senor Santa Rosa, I believe you have handed in your resignation letter. Is this correct?

If it will alleviate the situation (that is, a Nationale is my replacement), then yes. If not, then I am more than willing to stay aboard and try to resolve this issue as Minister of Political Affairs, which I think this fiasco qualifies as.

My fellow Chileans,

We are all familiar with the story of Santandera. The great and glorious Santandera, hero of the second Chilean Republic and guiding inspiration of the third. He was the first casualty of the Imperial regime. But more than that, he was the first casualty of his own cabinet. He entered government in partnership with Cesar Roseno; he was then murdered at the latter’s hands. When faced with an autocratic president, he chose to stand firm rather than save himself. It is to this example that I appeal to now.

I was merely betrayed. The Republic was murdered. Democracy, the rule of law and the justice of humanity were all taken out into the streets and shot, one by one. A tyrant in republican clothing entered La Moneda, just as one did all those many years ago when Santandera was murdered. He has already disavowed loyalty to his friends and coalition partners; how long before he disavows loyalty to the Republic? If a man is so arrogant in victory that he betrays his erstwhile allies in public view, what will dissuade him from taking severer measures to shore up his presidency?

Men of Congreso. You have heard now, in length, the details of this sorry tale - a tale of intrigue and corruption, that has cast a shadow over the Republic. It is my utmost disappointment that I was ever a party to it. I can never atone for my actions. But I can put them right. I can redeem my attempts at personal advancement by attempting to now save the Republic. I can right the wrongs of my back-dealing during the elections. I can cast off my career and dedicate myself only to the destruction of the monstrous monolith that I helped build. I can do this, but only with your aid.

As Minister of the Interior, I hereby order the arrest of Senor Carlos Andonie on charges of electoral deception and fraud. I call upon the incoming Interior Minister, Senor Rivera, to assume the role of Provisional President.

All of Senor Andonie’s army appointments will proceed as normal. The new cabinet will remain the same. I do not dissolve the government, nor call for a new one. This action is aimed at no one but Senor Andonie, who has brought disgrace upon the Republic and the august office which he covets. He must be removed without bloodshed, so that corruption can be swept from La Moneda and new elections held to determine a new president. In his absence, Senor Rivera will become the Provisional President of the Republic.

Dios salve a la República! Por la razón o la fuerza!

- V. Severino

((TH has informed me that there are no provisions for impeachment, so that leaves one last resort:

This is a coup.

The current system will remain; the only difference is that Andonie will be deposed and Rivera will replace him as President. Everything else remains as normal.))

Senor Severino, I understand your frustration, and I sympathize with your plight. I offered my resignation so that the cabinet could be a better representative of this grand coalition. You have always been a friend and supporter of mine, and I have always felt obliged to return the favour; however, I cannot support a coup against the legitimately elected President. Should he have better represented you? Yes. But the fact remains that Andonie has been a loyal servant of the people of Chile, if imperfect.

I beg you, Senor Severino, let us try to work this out! Do not give into your anger! Do not ruin the chances of Chile over a disagreement with the President!

I declare myself for the government... I only hope that this coup can still be averted...

My fellow Chileans,

We are all familiar with the story of Santandera. The great and glorious Santandera, hero of the second Chilean Republic and guiding inspiration of the third. He was the first casualty of the Imperial regime. But more than that, he was the first casualty of his own cabinet. He entered government in partnership with Cesar Roseno; he was then murdered at the latter’s hands. When faced with an autocratic president, he chose to stand firm rather than save himself. It is to this example that I appeal to now.

I was merely betrayed. The Republic was murdered. Democracy, the rule of law and the justice of humanity were all taken out into the streets and shot, one by one. A tyrant in republican clothing entered La Moneda, just as one did all those many years ago when Santandera was murdered. He has already disavowed loyalty to his friends and coalition partners; how long before he disavows loyalty to the Republic? If a man is so arrogant in victory that he betrays his erstwhile allies in public view, what will dissuade him from taking severer measures to shore up his presidency?

Men of Congreso. You have heard now, in length, the details of this sorry tale - a tale of intrigue and corruption, that has cast a shadow over the Republic. It is my utmost disappointment that I was ever a party to it. I can never atone for my actions. But I can put them right. I can redeem my attempts at personal advancement by attempting to now save the Republic. I can right the wrongs of my back-dealing during the elections. I can cast off my career and dedicate myself only to the destruction of the monstrous monolith that I helped build. I can do this, but only with your aid.

As Minister of the Interior, I hereby order the arrest of Senor Carlos Andonie on charges of electoral deception and fraud. I call upon the incoming Interior Minister, Senor Rivera, to assume the role of Provisional President.

All of Senor Andonie’s army appointments will proceed as normal. The new cabinet will remain the same. I do not dissolve the government, nor call for a new one. This action is aimed at no one but Senor Andonie, who has brought disgrace upon the Republic and the august office which he covets. He must be removed without bloodshed, so that corruption can be swept from La Moneda and new elections held to determine a new president. In his absence, Senor Rivera will become the Provisional President of the Republic.

Dios salve a la República! Por la razón o la fuerza!

- V. Severino

((TH has informed me that there are no provisions for impeachment, so that leaves one last resort:

This is a coup.

The current system will remain; the only difference is that Andonie will be deposed and Rivera will replace him as President. Everything else remains as normal.))

To all Chileans,

This simply shows that there is nothing Severino would not do to gain power. He has admitted lying in coalition talks and now that he is not a Minister he seeks to overthrow the very democracy he says he loves. I call upon all Chileans to see through this. It is nothing more than a naked grab for power. Well we have dealt with those before and we will do so again.

Even though I am still amazed at the hypocricy of the Nacionales or at the least its leader. I would state that I do not hold any of your party responsible for this madness simply your leader. He lied during the election, he lied after it and now resorts to force against the democratic government. If you love freedom then support the Governemnt and not this madman.

Presidente Andonie

It is no longer about rewards, Senor de Santa Rosa. Senor Andonie could offer to crown me as Emperor of the Andes and I would still turn him down without a second's hesitation. The fact is, he has been a profoundly disloyal servant of the Republic. He built his presidency on the weakness of others; he maintained his presidency on backroom intrigue; and now he seeks to shore up his presidency with deception and slander. Chile has served Andonie, and not vice-versa. He has made all the noble parties of the Republic into his puppets. I am not the first man Senor Andonie has pushed upon his own sword for the sake of his presidency. He leaves a trail of corpses through Santiago.

I am saddened that you do not stand by me on this. Of all the statesmen of Chile, you have fought the longest and the hardest against tyranny - against a dictator even greater in strength than the imposter in La Moneda. I had hoped that now, even in old age, you would still do what is necessary to fight those who seek to pervert the democratic character of the Republic.

Nonetheless, I do not condemn you, old friend, and you and the rest of the cabinet shall come to no harm: I seek only the peaceful deposition of Senor Andonie, and the ascension of Senor Rivera as Provisional President.

- V. Severino

((
Also, Zzzz, at this point in time, Social Democracy is a synonym for revolutionary Marxism. Rosa Luxemburg uses the term consistently, as do many others, to describe an international revolutionary movement.))
((But we have the Communists right now. Term didn't came up until 1910s))

I seek no power for my own, Senor Andonie, although I did not expect your slander to stop even when your tower of lies came crumbling down.

I ask for no cabinet positions for myself or my colleagues in the Partido Nacional. I demand no cabinet reshuffle. I do not intend to play any part in the government that emerges from Senor Andonie's deposition. It shall be lead by Senor Rivera, the incoming Minister of the Interior and soon-to-be Provisional President. He may make whatever cabinet choices and army appointments he deems necessary.

I have no interest in government. My only motivation here is justice.

- V. Severino

It is no longer about rewards, Senor de Santa Rosa. Senor Andonie could offer to crown me as Emperor of the Andes and I would still turn him down without a second's hesitation. The fact is, he has been a profoundly disloyal servant of the Republic. He built his presidency on the weakness of others; he maintained his presidency on backroom intrigue; and now he seeks to shore up his presidency with deception and slander. Chile has served Andonie, and not vice-versa. He has made all the noble parties of the Republic into his puppets. I am not the first man Senor Andonie has pushed upon his own sword for the sake of his presidency. He leaves a trail of corpses through Santiago.

I am saddened that you do not stand by me on this. Of all the statesmen of Chile, you have fought the longest and the hardest against tyranny - against a dictator even greater in strength than the imposter in La Moneda. I had hoped that now, even in old age, you would still do what is necessary to fight those who seek to pervert the democratic character of the Republic.

Nonetheless, I do not condemn you, old friend, and you and the rest of the cabinet shall come to no harm: I seek only the peaceful deposition of Senor Andonie, and the ascension of Senor Rivera as Provisional President.

- V. Severino

Senor, you have gone mad, more insane than German ever was. Stop this madness now. You cannot win but I do not want to see men shed blood because of your madness. Chile has lost enough men without you causing more deaths. All over a backroom deal that went bad for you. For this you would sacrifice the lives of our young men. I thought better of this. Pull back before it is too late.

Presidente Andonie

If you truly care so little for personal advancement and place such heavy emphasis on the wellbeing of the Republic, then why do you not stand down?

All this could - and will - be averted if you resign your presidency. That is my only demand, that I voice on behalf of all the people of Chile who crave liberty and justice. With your resignation, there would be no conflict. I desire no bloodshed; I demand no changes or alterations to the government. If you simply step aside in favour of Senor Rivera, then I will stand down and offer my resignation from government.

It is time to display what few principles you still possess, Senor Andonie.

- V. Severino

((Wait, so does that make me Hayden Christensen?

I think I chose the wrong side.))

If I stood down every time someone who lost an election got upset there would never be Government. I won the election fairly, no laws were broken and the only lies told were by your own lips as you admitted. You will go down in history as a man who could have been great but who lost touch with reality.

You speak of my dicatorship but the reality is I won the election last term and we had 5 years of peace and prosperity and we would have another 5 years until you decided in your misguided way to start a war. I feel sorry for you but more sorry for those who will die because of you.

Presidente Andonie

(("You're either with me... or you're my enemy."

Sounds about right.))

((But in the end, you're the good guy; you just made a mistake (actually a series of mistakes (actually a series of very bad mistakes (actually, you murdered younglings...)))... so by my prediction, you will rejoin the Republic! :p

Am I Yoda?))

I did not lose an election, Senor Andonie; I guaranteed that you would win one. I side-lined my own ambitions - and the aspirations of my party - to decisively secure your victory. All these sacrifices, my party made for you. And now, you cast us aside for the sake of your power with all the callousness of a disdainful adolescent. You were elected on a lie; your victory was based on betrayal. You have betrayed Congreso, the people and the Republic. To allow you to reign over Chile would be a disgrace to the legacy of O'Higgins and San Martin.

I do not desire bloodshed, Senor Andonie. But if men should die because you would sooner see war than lose your throne, then they will not die because of me. They will die fighting for preservation of the Republic, and at the hands of your hatchet men.

- V. Severino

I did not lose an election, Senor Andonie; I guaranteed that you would win one. I side-lined my own ambitions - and the aspirations of my party - to decisively secure your victory. All these sacrifices, my party made for you. And now, you cast us aside for the sake of your power with all the callousness of a disdainful adolescent. You were elected on a lie; your victory was based on betrayal. You have betrayed Congreso, the people and the Republic. To allow you to reign over Chile would be a disgrace to the legacy of O'Higgins and San Martin.

I do not desire bloodshed, Senor Andonie. But if men should die because you would sooner see war than lose your throne, then they will not die because of me. They will die fighting for preservation of the Republic, and at the hands of your hatchet men.

- V. Severino

You lied to futher your own political aims, something you have admitted. You tried to deceive your way into power and now out of petty revenge you seek to overthrow me at the cost of lives. Pull back now Senor and I will spare you and let you retire quietly. No harm has occured yet. I urge you to stop. I have confirmed with the Attorney General, no laws were broken here, pull back before it is too late.

And stop with this preserving democracy rubbish Senor. The election was democratic, no one forced you to vote, just because you dont like the result you launch a coup. Madness.

All these sacrifices, my party made for you

((My turn now!

*ahem*

I did it all for you... the pain... the sex... it was all for you....

-or-

I did it all for you Damian! All for you!))

"Spare me"? You even speak as if you were Cesar.

It is clear to me now that you will not stand aside quietly. You will not surrender your ill-gotten presidency to preserve the peace of the Republic. All my entreaties to principle and understanding have been ignored. A true servant would gladly step forward; a lord would thrust his servant forward to save himself. So you now do with Chile. The time of rhetoric is over, if ever there was a time it could have succeeded. I wish it so. But regardless, your arrest shall proceed. Justice will be done, by reason or by force.

The die is cast. Let no one state that my hand was not forced.

- V. Severino

((You were supposed to destroy the Nationalists, not join them!

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist :rolleyes:))

((Mad props to you))

It seems as if the snakes of Chilean government have once again destabilized our great nation. I pine for the suffering workers and farmers who simply wish to live and let live. Addressing you snakes in the Congreso, let not our rivers run red with blood! Let not our cities burn to ash! Let the people have their stability! Let them have equality! You fools fight over government positions as if there was any difference between your respective (flawed) ideologies. You jackals mire our glorious lands in a bog of destruction and factionalism. I ask you, Santa Rosa, is the destruction of the moral integrity of our nation and the factionalization of our politics worth the freedom you so proudly tout? It seems as if the liberals that fought and died to end monarchy have never been able to re-establish a firm foundation for the new republic. Now we can clearly see the flaws present in the current Chilean governmental system.

In answer to Senor Severino's unlawful coup I call on my supporters in Chile to take up arms, not for the government nor for the jackal Severino, but for the common people. My friends along the Argentinian-Chilean border can undoubtedly muster close to 2,000 willing men and I will ride across the border with 2,000 more "Guerreros de los Ciudadanos."

Fear not my fellow Communista's, I do not seek to overthrow the current Chilean government, instead I wish to bring stability and peace to as much of Chile as I can (which right now is probably just Northern Patagonia). My men will defend the people against injustices from both sides. In the months to come there may well be fighting throughout Chile and I simply mean to keep the peace and protect the common man.

--Basilio Bautista--