• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(probably moot as the vagueness of the bill is what is being voted on)
but

Currently Southern Chile is lawless, sparsely populated, and de-facto owned in some places by Spanish garrisons. Spaniards would be given option to stand down, join Chile, or leave and go back to Spain. Poor Farmers who own their own ranch and surrounding territory need their territory to be defined through legal means. Any territory un-claimed is open to selling.

Be that as the policies that would be implemented, the bill that is being voted on stands as it was written.

I offered them to be sold for "Capitalist, or individual ownership".

de Santa Rosa: I told Thunderhawk you were my campaign manager or Liberal Acts man. If you want you could be a general I suppose (?) (Assuming Thunderhawk intends for a new generalship to be created).

You can appoint a new general to replace Carrow as you like. You're the President.

"I never declared that capitalists shouldn't purchase land in the south, merely that said land was uninhabited or purchased from the locals at a fair valuation. I did not want them to be able to buy rights over people, like they can do in a number of countries."

It doesn't matter to me; I just wanted to be a member of the government. I will happily serve in whatever capacity you give me to the best of my ability for the Chilean people!

I am glad to see that El Presidente followed my platform on foreign policy to a tee

Foreign Policy: We shall send diplomats to Argentina and Brazil to discuss the possibility of an alliance. Our first priority is to reclaim our occupied lands from Bolivia, hopefully in a war with a strong ally but alone if we must.
After victory over Bolivia we shall set our sights on our lands occupied by Peru.

NO to Freedom Act and Land Act
Yes to treaty with Peru War with Argentina would not be wise at this time

Senator Rivera - Partido Nacional

With 22 hours left (vote closes at noon PST tomorrow), we have:

Freedom Act:
Yes: 15
No: 3
Abstain: 1

Land Act:
Yes: 13
No: 4
Abstain: 2

Arequipa Purchase:
Yes: 11

((The Arequipa Purchase seems to be enjoying overwhelming support, so I may end the vote on the purchase early and get on with it.))

Okay, de Santa Rosa:

I proclaim you a Rear Guard General of our most Glorious Serene Republic. May you be exceptional on the field, and the dice roles ;-).

Also, General Roseno should return To our Southern Border to be prepared for the passing of the Land re-proportioning Act.

Gracias el Presidente; I will serve to the best of my ability (hopefully)

Nay to the Freedom Act, for aforementioned reasons, such as national identity and the sheer amount of minority within Chile.

Nay to the Land Act, the Government needs to maintain total control over the land until the situation stabilizes.

And Yay to the Arequipa Purchase, if a war can be avoided while still accomplishing what needs to be done, then I am all for it.

My worries regarding the land act is not the annexation of the lands hold by Spanish remnants, that's necessary. I just don't think the act take into consideration the risk of abuse of power and corruption when the State sell the land. First of all, I fear this land will be sold to aristocrats that slowly can monopolize the ownership of land. Instead land should be given to new settlers.

Gracias el Presidente; I will serve to the best of my ability (hopefully)

I just rolled your stats. As always, my lips are sealed as to what they are.

Which is why, as a by the way, I specifically did not mention aristocrats to be sold to. Capitalists and other private owners will serve the land better, and large estates should be broken up.

I suppose the only way I'll know is by my deeds on the battlefield! For Chile! Viva la Republica! And so on and so forth...

Which is why, as a by the way, I specifically did not mention aristocrats to be sold to. Capitalists and other private owners will serve the land better, and large estates should be broken up.

Well, I don't think there is a need to break up their estates as long as they won't get access to new land. In my opinion the new land should be used to get settlers here. Cheap land for a small farm is what many poor people in Europe can only dream of.

I also propose that native land is annexed to the State and sold to settlers.

So you would discriminate as to who buys the land. Is it not to go to the highest bidder. As I suspected the Land Act is nothing more than a corrupt land grab so El Presidente can dole out the land to his capitalist cronies to reward them for supporting him. El Presidente speaks of freedom and laissez faire, but his policies are nothing but cronyism and backroom deals.

Senator Rivera - Partido Nacional

In my opinion Capitalists mght be the best solution in some cases, but we should not forget to encourage smallholders. I still have reservation about the possibility for corruption within the system though. And I don't see anything in the bill that would tackle it. I fear land would just go to those who bribed the bureaucrats, and smallholders would get nothing.

Memorial proposal in Santiago.

Monument to the fallen
Remember the heroes,
remember them,
they be the ones
who freed all men.
Francisco De Miranda
The soldiers in the last war, who gave so much for this country shall be forever in our memories.
It is this why I propose, that we must build up a memorial in Santiago to help us remember the men that went, but never came back.

Memorial Proposal:
I. The memorial should be ubicated somwhere in the center of Santiago.
II. It shall cost no more than 500 pounds.

The price it is still debatable, but I do urge to look at this issue."

Coronel Francisco Javier de Miranda Reina

((Litle event could do this, -500 pounds and + prestige perharps?))

Last edited: