• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is not some one-sided equation Mr Ana. The army protects the nation, people, mines, and your expensive parliament building, and in exchange we are given the foods neccessary to survive and adequately defend our protectees. And do you know anything of war Mr Vasces? Look at the Americanos, they were both out numbered, out gunned, and yet they still defeated the greatest army on earth, with antique weapons but brilliant tactics. We will do the same, when the Bolivians come, we will show them the might of the Chilean army does not lie with just its size, but also the minds of its great and many leaders. And who is to say that our army will not expand in 10 years? Perhaps Bolivia will face even worse economic hardships than ourselves.

You don't quite understand the situation. If we were further north, perhaps we could risk owning a sub-par military. But no, Southern America del Sur is a powder keg waiting to explode, and explode it shall. Let us review our military situation, shall we?

Here is a map, the red area is made up of nations with whom a confrontation is inevitable, teal are the nations that we do not need to worry about, and dark red are potential enemies, while yellow are possible allies, and the orange is us.

ChilePoliticalSituation.png

Looking at this map, do you honestly think we can go without an adequate military? The bill that you propose would essentially degrade our militaries to the quality of the nations in East Asia, that is, extremely poor.

"Honorable sirs, the lands Bolivia and Peru had taken away from us are of our best interest to get back. The Chilean people in those regions, are calling for our government to help against the oppression. It is not a matter of expansionism, we as a sovereign nation mustn't and shan't cave in to the power of greed of Bolivia and Peru, we shall take what is rightfully ours by any and all means necessary, if we must go to war, then saddle up my horse gentleman.
As always truly yours,"

Coronel Francisco Javier de Miranda Reina

Last edited:
I am highly skeptical we would be alone in warring with Bolivia, or that their army is smaller than ours. You agree a small army can still beat a larger one? Well then, why not reduce the size of the army? If it's so sacred to you, then it must be powerful enough to defeat Bolivians, although I feel there's no point in our current state.

You continue to praise the army, have you no shame? What of our farmers and miners? It is clear all you care about is the army and not Chile. Keeping a facade that the army is our protector and our savior, when it is the people that comprise the welfare of this nation.

Furthermore, you admit we're in economic hardships. Then surely, the army must be reduced so we don't slide right into bankruptcy. It is the largest part of our budget, it is the most stubborn part, it is the most unnecessary part right now. Reduce it, unless all you care about is war, war, war!

Mr. Silva, Patagonia is not even inhabited by people that can threaten us, Argentina is pre-occupied with Patagonia and Bolivia, Bolivia can be easily partitioned without the need for such a massive army, and Peru is not even able to reach us or field a respectable navy. Clearly you are exaggerating the threat to national security.

You don't quite understand the situation. If we were further north, perhaps we could risk owning a sub-par military. But no, Southern America del Sur is a powder keg waiting to explode, and explode it shall. Let us review our military situation, shall we?

Here is a map, the red area is made up of nations with whom a confrontation is inevitable, teal are the nations that we do not need to worry about, and dark red are potential enemies, while yellow are possible allies, and the orange is us.

ChilePoliticalSituation.png

Looking at this map, do you honestly think we can go without an adequate military? The bill that you propose would essentially degrade our militaries to the quality of the nations in East Asia, that is, extremely poor.

((Yeah, I knew there was a reason I picked Chile.

Where did you get that map? I could really use the version not colored in.))

You seem to have forgotten, but I fought in the war for independence. Perhaps I was not a high and mighty general like you, but I have learned my experience in war. Perhaps Bolivia will have completely collapsed in ten years, but as you and the hawks supporting you seem to think, there will always be an ample supply of enemies in the world. The Americanos would have had a far more difficult time if it hadn't been for the French and Spanish aid they received. Also, the Americano's were separated from Britain by an ocean, which made the war horrendously expensive to fight. Since most of our potential enemies border us, and are currently not much stronger then us economically, if at all, I believe that investing in the economy now is the same as investing in the military later. Immediate military force is unnecessary, although I have no doubt it will be necessary later, when we may not have the economic power to rival our enemies because of military overspending.

-Armando de Vasces

Do you forget that the Spanish also had to fight off numerous other revolutions? That severely weakened them as well, and the British did have a border to the American States, the former French colonies. And I am not a high General as you sguuest, I am but a humble Colonel, looking to protect the lives of the men in my brigade. And how do we know if our enemies will not invest in their armies first? They are all larger than us, both in land mass and population. We must show ourselves to be strong through the superiority of our already small army.

While I indeed hope that one day Chile will no longer need an army, it would be naive to even consider the idea that we do not need to invest in it right now when we are quite literally, backed into a corner. Once we manage to assert ourselves and our position on the American Continent, then we can focus on the economy.

That, and reclaiming our homeland will have greater economic benefit than you will think, the extra population will also assist in the acquiring of money that you doves seem so concerned with.

It is you boasting of the exploits of the Americans, not me. An arms race is contradictory to security, Mr. Carrera. What use is militarizing our borders if that allows others to engineer "incidents" and already set a hostile tone to future relations, especially when we cannot afford it? It is expected they cannot invest more than us, but we would be baited successfully if we got involved in an arms race we cannot win.

You hawks believe Chile's economy and people can wait for you to finish your wars. Will conquering nearly empty lands be worth our bankruptcy, crushing the people, shedding the lives you people claim to value so much? Let it happen at another time, but not now, O eager hawks.

((Prince? Where did you get that map? Is it a game function I don't know about or somewhere else?))

You hawks believe Chile's economy and people can wait for you to finish your wars. Will conquering nearly empty lands be worth our bankruptcy, crushing the people, shedding the lives you people claim to value so much? Let it happen at another time, but not now, O eager hawks.
Am I a hawk because I refuse to let god-damned Bolivians occupy lands filled with Chileans? You say you have the best for the people in mind, but what about the people to the north? Have you forgotten about them? Or what about the soldiers and people that will eventually die when our neighbors take advantage of our own weakness? Do you not care for them? And you seem to forget one important detail, more people equals more money, more money is equal to closer to creating a revenue, which is most certainly a goal. We do want what is best for the people of Chile, ALL the people of Chile, not just the ones in their own nation currently.

((I did not know about that thread. Excellent.))

((I think the results are pretty clear, but after seeing what happened in the primary...)

((Bah, enough of this waiting, give us the update.))

WE WILL WAIT!

I may shorten the next election, though. Three days is standard in the interactive AARs, I understand, but it's quite long.

Folks, if you want to speed up this process, work with me here.

1) Zagoroth, the default candidate for the Liberales, should prepare a detailed platform. If you think you're about to win the Conservadores primary (HINT HINT), you should also prepare a platform. Include in it what you intend to do about Chilean claims in Peru and Bolivia and provisions for defense of the nation in general. You DO NOT have to appoint generals in your platform. You can do that once you're in office. You also can't control what techs will be researched, those are chosen by me.

2) Pallen, send me a final copy of your budget compromise so I can put it to a vote.

A little over an hour remaining here, gents. The vote stands at 14-9 Rivera and 9-12 against for Paraguay.

I'll get that update ready.

EDIT: Remember that policies should also include economic, political (if reforms become available), and foreign affairs.

Aye-Aye ThunderHawk, Ill get it to you by the end of tomorrow (EST, ;-))

We should stop the debates about the military. Clearly we are at an ideological standstill. The size of the army will be determined by the compromise bill and the policies of the president elect. Our debates only go cyclical.

A government cannot look left and right, but charge forward.

I hope Senator Badajoz continues to be as sensible as he has been this entire campaign.

Viva la Rivera! Onward to victory to destroy the enemies of Chile!

Polls are now CLOSED. This is the finally tally.

Conservadores Candidates:
Francisco Rivera: 14
Eduardo Emilio Romano: 9

Alliance with Paraguay
Yes: 9
No: 12

Congratulations to Senator Rivera, the new candidate for the Conservadores!

Update incoming.