• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((What exactly do we do in a runoff election? Expect people to switch votes, or have 1 candidate drop out?))

The candidate with the fewest votes drops and those votes for him are changed to abstaining. Then people can start switching from abstaining to one of the two remaining candidates.

Well, it's the designated time. Unfortunately for the Tradicionales, they have the fewest votes of any party and must drop from the election. Their votes are changed to abstaining; those of you who voted for the Tradicionales should feel free to switch your vote to a new candidate. People who haven't voted yet can also still vote.

Presidential Candidates:
Carlos Adonie ((rudders10)): 5
Cesar Roseno ((Red Cesar)): 7
Abstaining: 4

The race ends tomorrow at this time, 6 PM PST.

Last edited:
I will throw my support behind Roseno and encourage all Tradicionales to do so. I support his plans to strengthen our military and he has proven himself on the battlefield defending Chile from her enemies.

Francisco Rivera

It would appear that with only two votes left to be changed that I cannot bridge the gap to my rival. I therefore concede defeat and wish General Roseno the best in his term as Presidente.

Senator Andonie

Alright, it seems that Andonie has conceded the election to Roseno. I'll call it there, and congratulations to the new President Cesar Roseno. I'll write an update whenever I get the time.

On the 24th July 1856, Eberado de Cary died at the age of 63 from cirrhosis of the liver. He will be replaced by Anselmo Galante as Senator for Valparaiso.

Name: Anselmo Galante, Senator for Valparaiso
Born: 1824
Party: Independent
Background: Son of a family of Tuscan immigrant bankers, Anselmo is a politically active young man with some quite radical views. He has promised to improve the lot of the peasantry, and has been involved in secret meetings...

Last edited:
The 1856 Presidential Election​

The 1856 Presidential Election was exactly the fierce three-way battle that everyone had expected, as the three major parties rushed to Santiago to secure the support of unpledged electors and get their own people to the capitol on time. However, even as the election began, many perceived that the Conservadores Nacionales would easily take the lead. After all, all four of the parties had been easily matched - but a union between any of two of those parties would control of the majority of support.

This assessment proved to be somewhat less than accurate. In the first electoral ballot, the Conservadores Nacionales and their popular candidate-general Cesar Roseno secured only 71 electoral votes - maddeningly close to the necessary majority of 83, but short enough to force a second ballot. The Liberales, it seemed, had returned with a vengeance, taking 52 votes for Adonie, their dark horse candidate. They were trailed by the Tradicionales, who had secured a formidable 41 electoral votes in their first election under a permanent party with Antonio Disraeli at their head.

The Liberales and the Tradicionales had jointly hoped that they would both secure more votes than the Conservadores Nacionales, thus forcing out the coalition ticket and allowing them to fight for the presidency between themselves. However, this was not to be. In the runoff ballot, the Tradicionales were forced out of the race and party elder Rivera threw his support to the coalition. Adonie, realizing he would not receive any votes from the Tradicionales, conceded the race before the second ballot had even ended.

That brought the Conservadores Nacionales to victory once again and for the first time in Chilean history, the Nacionales were the party of power.

With this success and the third coalition in a row, many began to discuss a permanent union between the Conservadores and the Nacionales. The Tradicionales and the Liberales, meanwhile, were left to retreat and rethink their strategies as Romano yielded power to Roseno in early 1856.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
Roseno, I need your ministerial and general appointments and your general policies/aims/goals for your presidency.

Nacionales and Conservadores, I also need you to vote yes/no on permanent union between your two parties. If the ballot succeeds, you will become the Conservadores Nacionales (National Conservatives) as one permanent standing party.

A sample ballot appears:
Conservadores and Nacionales Merge: Yes/No/Abstain

Please, only Conservadores and Nacionales vote on this.

As a reminder to outgoing generals and ministers, you can declare an election night coup between now and the next update to overthrow the government before Roseno's new policies take effect.

For too long brothers have been divided by past arguments over the vile Liberales. No more! I vote Yes for the reunion of the Nacionales and Conservadores back into our original party. Let the past stay in the past, as we embrace our brothers.

Conservadores and Nacionales Merge: Yes

I vote for this proposal because there is no reason for us to remove divided when the reason for the divide is gone, and the more extreme have left (pun not intended) for the Tradicionales.
Also, I would like to congratulate our new President and fellow Nationalist on his convincing victory in this election.

Conservadores and Nacionales Merge:

Once there was a difference between Conservadores and Nacionales. It was a small difference, but it was noticeable. Now that the hardline Nacionales who formed the Partido Nacionale in the first place have left to form the Partido Tradicionale, the difference is negligible, and therefore I think it best that we re-embrace one another.

"Thank you my fellow citizens for allowing me the opportunity to bring Chile to new heights! Today is the beginning of a new Fatherland! Chile will no longer be victim to our vulturous neighbors, or the greedy might of the old world! Today, we rise up, and take our place in the sun! We are Chileans, united! Viva la Chile!"

-Presidente Cesar Roseno

Congratulations, Senor Roseno! Though I am saddened that Adonie lost, I wish you the best of luck and hope that Chile will begin an economic recovery.

I too would once again congratulate you Mr Presidente. It was a clean campaign and I look forward to crossing swords with you in the house.

Sorry about that - inbox cleared. I got a bunch of PMs today.

Anyway, I've gotten the general and ministerial appointments from Red Cesar ((Roseno)). They are as follows:

Carrera in charge of the army of the North, including the rear guard.

Carrow In charge of the army of the south, including the rear guard.

Interior minister position goes to Disraeli.

Minister of War to Santadera.

Foreign Minister will be Komisha.

Rest shall remain vacant for the time being.

It sounds like he's still mulling over his policy priorities and goals for his presidency, so in the meantime the ministers can state their own priorities and so forth.