• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((I would close the polls and issue an update, but I still need that reform suggestion from Pallen. Pallen?))

((I like the name but do not like its RL chilean connotations Patriotic Front))

Using the name of a real life communist militia for a fictional far-right nationalist party? I say go for it anyways, Patriotic Front seems like a good name for a jingoist nationalist coalition. Remember that real life names aren't always the best ones: the Manuel Rodriguez Patriotic Front's rival was a fascist militia called "Patria y libertad" (motherland and freedom). Names don't really reflect sometimes the groups they name.

Last edited:
Just depends on your definition of freedom ;)

It truly does.

For example:
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
WAR IS PEACE
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH​

:laugh:

Romano 1853-1854: For Every Action​

The Tax Increase Act of 1853 was passed by the Congreso in early January. Though the increase of taxes on the lower and middle stratas to 65% was temporarily effective in stabilizing the budget, fate intervened before Romano could order new brigades raised for the Chilean Army. In February and March 1853, the Ruso-Japanese and Sino-British wars broke out as the Great Powers demanded colonial concessions from far-flung and uncivilized enemies. The resulting turmoil in the Pacific strangled trade to the far east, and soon a distressed De Vasces informed Romano that the treasury had again plummeted deep into the red, despite the tax cuts.

1853, however, was also a year of advances for the Chilean military. The Chilean generalty, observing recent advances in the Prussia, American, British, and French defensive tactics, adopting new defensive strategies better suited to fighting a modern war. A regime of new advances in April 1853 included improved earthwork fortifications and the integration of the relatively new Chilean artillery corps into military defensive strategies.

Despite these military advances, the Chilean far-right was seen to be generally unhappy with the state of the country. At the end of 1853, Minister Carrera reported to President Romano that the military could now raise a staggering 11 brigades, though the treasury was so far in deficit already as to make even a single band of irregulars infeasible.

The liberal wings of Chilean politics also became fairly unhappy with Romano, as the administration eventually decided not to adopt any single reform. As a conservative, said Romano, he did not believe in any radical changes to an already perfectly functioning Chilean political system. While his overtures were successful preventing the liberals from uniting under one particular reform, the victory was purely temporary. By 1854, the liberal factions in the Congreso had regrouped and begun discussing which reform they should be their collective weight behind - without the President's approval, if necessary.

While the Congreso focused on the next reform, the right-wing stewed. While Chile was generally a peaceful country filled with content people - far too content to trouble the Congreso - the right-wing was a very different matter. Some were angered by the conservative policies of the President, others by their defeat in the last election, still others by the dissolution of the Partido Monarquico. They were, however, angry, and in bars and town halls, back rooms and estates, across Chile, they were plotting.

On February 12, 1854, the right-wing militants launched a collective and coordinated attack on the centers of Chilean government. In Santiago, a militia took up positions around the undefended city and demanded the surrender of President Romano and the Congreso. Another force in Potosi struck at Santandera's army, engaging them in a fierce battle. The 1854 Chilean Civil War had begun.

News From Around The World:
February 1853 - Ruso-Japanese War
March 10, 1853 - Webster-Ashburn Treaty
March 1853 - Sino-British War

-------------------------

Okay. The Reactionary Rebels have risen, but I won't tell how many. They're currently beginning to occupy Santiago. I treat rebellions like a coup declared by the game itself, so ALL GENERALS AND MINISTERS, declare whether or not you're backing the coup. They're reactionary rebels, so they might revert to either a Presidential Dictatorship or Monarchy if they enforce (I'll introduce that element of uncertainty). Position of their leader is up for grabs.

A sample statement would look as follows:
I support the rebels.
OR
I support the administration.

As a reminder, you MAY NOT change your choice of backing of the rebellion after you've chosen. You have two days to choose.

As for the rest of the Congreso, it's time to start suggesting reforms. I'll take the few most popular suggestions and you'll vote on them in a bit. I'll give one day to nominations and one day to voting. Of course, it's all moot if the rebels enforce.

The reforms currently possible are: Based On Population, Weighted Wealth, Proportional, Free Press, State Controlled, and Secret Ballots (that means we currently have Two Per State, Only Landed, Jefferson Method, Censored Press, Trade Unions Illegal, and Non-Secret Ballots respectively).

As the Minister of War, I support the administration. We will not fall to these rebels. I will attempt to mobilize what reserves we can to defend the capital while the main armies begin to move back to aid us. I am confident General Santandera will be able to easily defeat the rebels assaulting his men.

((De Vasces sprints into the capitol, closing the door just as the doorway is riddled with bullets.))

*wheeze* The rebels *cough* seem to be very *wheeze* well armed. Don't *wheeze* worry about the federal *cough* reserve. It's *wheeze* defended. I fully support the administration. You know I *cough* only just *wheeze* realized the *cough* distance between my office *cough* and yours. I think I'll just *cough* rest a bit...

((he passes out on the floor))

I will begin mobilizing the city guard at once, Senor Presidente! I hope that my support for the lawful administration against his coup will rectify all the mistakes I made in the last coup. I don't know if I will be able to maintain control of the entire city, but my men will protect the Capital to the last man!

((Proceeds to put on his old military uniform and begins organizing a militia to hold of the rebels))

With all due respect señor Rosa, any formation of a militia shall fall under military jurisdiction, and thus will need to be either under my own or the Presidente's command. We cannot have politicians running around with their own troops during a civil war.

I call on all to support the democratically elected government. Those who oppose the government should do so at the elections. I oppose this armed rebellion and urge the revolters to lay down their arms.

Senator Francisco Rivera

Someone must protect the capital; I merely took the initiative, considering I served as a general and we have no regular force, save the city guard, which I've already mobilized. If we had a regular force, Senor Carrera, I would agree with you, but we need loyal men to help defend their president and the freedom of this nation from these radicals. If you wish me to defer my military experience to some lieutenant currently in Santiago, I will acquiesce; however, Minister, I suggest allowing me to retain command, if only because I have served on the front in a command position.

As well, I respect your desire to maintain a chain of command, but el Presidente has, to my knowledge, commanded an army before; though I would cede command to you, if my men will agree to it.

Mayor, and former General, Antonio de Santa Rosa

"This will not stand! I put my full support behind the current administration. As I have said in previous years, I will say it again! Santiago, will not fall! The Regime, WILL NOT FALL! I march to the capital tonight!

-General Cesar Roseno

Those elements of the Grand Army of the North that are under my command will support the administration. We will engage with rebels in Potosi to cut them off from joining the seige of Santiago ((as the rear guard of the army of the north, I'm assuming I'm sticking around Santandera?)), unless it is determined that we are needed more in the capital ((or if Santandera turns, I guess, in which case I'm pretty sure my army is outclassed - but I'll hope he's loyal)).

- Rear Guard, Gabriel Alvarez

Someone must protect the capital; I merely took the initiative, considering I served as a general and we have no regular force, save the city guard, which I've already mobilized. If we had a regular force, Senor Carrera, I would agree with you, but we need loyal men to help defend their president and the freedom of this nation from these radicals. If you wish me to defer my military experience to some lieutenant currently in Santiago, I will acquiesce; however, Minister, I suggest allowing me to retain command, if only because I have served on the front in a command position.

As well, I respect your desire to maintain a chain of command, but el Presidente has, to my knowledge, commanded an army before; though I would cede command to you, if my men will agree to it.

Mayor, and former General, Antonio de Santa Rosa

I too have served at the front in a command position and during war as well. And I myself took the first step with the mobilization of the city's reserve troops. I myself am a commissioned General, and may serve as the commander of the loyal troops and militia within the city at the Presidente's command.

But will you not need more men? And those men seem hellbent on seeing me as a commander; perhaps we could cooperate, with you leading the main force, and I supplementing your troops as needed, as well as rally more support for the administration (I have to tell you, it's not very popular around here, but, fortunately, I am; which would be a good reason to cooperate, lest you wish to alienate those who are not quite willing to rebel... yet). Either way, I will accept your decision, and will do my best to aid in the city's defence in any way I can.

Here's an update. Nothing but loyalists so far.

Generals:
Grand General of the North: Jorge Alejandro Santandera ((Dyranum)) 2 Infantry Brigades
Rear Guard of the Grand Army of the North: Gabriel Alvarez ((Gloa)) 1 Infantry Brigade, 1 Cavalry Brigade -- LOYALIST
Grand General of the South: Roseno ((Red Cesar)) 2 Infantry Brigades -- LOYALIST
General:Carrow ((Seek75)) 1 Cavalry Brigade

Ministers:
Minister of the Treasury: Armando de Vasces ((OConner)) -- LOYALIST
Minister of State: Gale ((WelshDude))
Minister of War: Manuel Carrera ((King50000)) -- LOYALIST
Minister of Interior: Alvarez Ana ((Devotist))
Minister of Church and Culture: Antonio Disraeli ((Rogov))