• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((You know, isn't it unfair to call the President out on something which he was completely unaware of? We don't know anything about the budget, how much we can cut nor how we're scraping by. Come to think of it, it'd be helpful for people if that was actually included in the updates.))

((I agree that should be in the updates as well. Called him out on it as he is The President after all and therefore responsible. Just role playing it, as a liberal I would be annoyed at the state of the economy.))

((That may be true but a politician without a selective memory is not a politician :) ))

((Well considering how our economy was growing, albeit slowly, under the Liberales, I can't see how bad it really was, also considering our territorial growth and other such benefits that happened under Badajoz.))

Might want to cool it on the OOC guys.

Polls are closed. Neither bill passes.

Update incoming after I eat dinner, so give me an hour.

Romano 1852: Guns and Glass​

The decisive electoral defeat of the both the Darwin Act and the Military Transparency Act in 1851 surprised many observers. The failure of the Darwin Act surprised the clergy. Chilean politics was heavily dominated by moralism and the belief in the church, and a bitter argument between the deeply religious faction and the determinist factions ended badly for the zealots. Darwinism was allowed to continue as a doctrine in schools, much to the chagrin of the clergy. Minister Antonio Disraeli kept fairly silent about the act but reported an upswing in child literacy two years after its failure.

The second act, the Military Transparency Act, had a much more predictable failure. Supported by only a few rogues, proponents claimed the Act would have made the system less vulnerable to military coup. Opponents decried the attempted politicization of the military, and ultimately destroyed the act by a massive majority in the Congreso.

Though 1851 was an eventful year in the Congreso, it was outdone by 1852. In the wake of the Darwin Act's failure, the substantial presence of liberals in the lower house began to clamor for another reform. Though the upper house remained silent in both years, the lower house was a furious debate over what reforms might be necessary and why, and what could pass and what might not. In the end, it seemed as if the President might again have to step in to suggest a new national policy.

1852 also saw the recovery of Chile from its present budget crisis. A swell of employment in the new industrial sector (the Santiago glass factory swelled to nearly 5000 employees by the end of 1853) saw a boom of economic growth that allowed the country to begin running a small surplus with no change in tax policy.

The Chilean Military buildup also continued throughout 1852 and 1853. By the end of the second year, Minister Carrera reported to President Romano that the size of reserve soldiers had now exceeded that of the standing military, and that nine more brigades could potentially be constituted. However, the treasury continued to caution that even a single brigade might force the country back into the red. To remedy this situation, Romano put before the Congreso the Tax Increase Act - an act that would increase taxes on the lower stratas by 10%. The Treasury, under de Vasces, reported that such an increase would fund several new brigades.

Last, the question of Bolivia entered the papers at the end of 1852. In November, 1852, Brazil seized the Bolivian capital at Chuquisaca, forcing the Bolivian government to grant a peace treaty in Brazil's favor and surrender La Paz to Brazil. Many of the jingos and pro-military elements in Chile noted that Bolivia had no standing army following the war, and even without reason or provocation, a seizure of territory might prove profitable. Other said that Bolivian Alto Paraguay, geographically isolated from the rest of Chile, was useless, and might be better off in the hands of Paraguay proper. As the old borders left in the wake of Spain's departure unraveled, President Romano was again faced with a choice.

News From Around The World:
10 February, 1852 - Establish the Dar Al-Funun in Persia
6, September, 1852 - Italy Unifies

-------------------------

I promise I'm going to do more than one year next time.

President Romano ((Pallen)), you now have nine potential brigades to think about, as well as a reform and potential action in Bolivia (or any other country you might be feeling jingoistic towards today).

Everyone else, vote yes/no on the Tax Increase Act. Once Pallen decides on a reform, you'll vote on that too. The reform will need more than majority support to pass, but I'm not saying how much.

Sample Ballot:
Tax Increase Act: Abstain

Tax Increase Act: No

I do not believe increasing taxes on the middle and lower classes, perhaps the two classes we rely the most on, is a very good idea. Let us allow them to keep their money so that it can be better spent to improve their enjoyment and quality of life.

"I urge President Romano to begin action against Bolivia, for a stronger Chile. A place in the sun awaits us, we must seize it while the opportunity is ripe!"

-General Cesar Roseno

Tax Increase Act: Yes.

Tax Increase Act: Nay

Again, I wish to remind the members of the Congreso that must extend the voting franchise to more citizens (If we can't make another reform yet, then this is the one I wish to pursue)

Tax Increase Act: Yea

Tax Increase Act: No

This bill proposes to hurt the economic wellbeing of the lower classes so that these same lower classes can be recruited and led to a needless, premature war.

Tax Increase Act: Yes

We must pass this modest increase in revenue in order to form additional brigades and artillery. South America's borders are unstable and we must be strong to deter unwanted aggression. Without stability there is no prosperity.
Senator Francisco Rivera - Nacionale Tradicional ((What is the name of our new party?))

(( Once Romano's term is over i'll be joining, as you better represent my character's views, so the name question is relevant to me as well. Suggestions so far have been Partido Tradicionale from you, Tradicionale Communion, and Union Tradicion. Might I also suggest Frente Nacionale or Frente Tradicion. ))

Senator Francisco Rivera - Nacionale Tradicional ((What is the name of our new party?))

I don't think there was ever a consensus, so if it's alright with you I'll call your party the Partido Tradicional, or Tradicionales for short. If you're really set on something else, you can use that, of course.

Tax Increase Act: Nay

I cannot support a tax increase at this time much as I want the military to expand.