• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Romano, as I see, you're policies and "Mining-Act" are much helpful to the great mines of our nation, but what use would be a weak army? If any nation threaten's our sovereignity, what possibility do we have in defense? Unless you show major investment in the military, I see my stand point at the same, supporting the great military minds of Great Chile,
Antonio Haap

"I shall gladly answer you this. Effectivly I shall only cutback 20% of the original cut. This cutback will quickly be repaid within an acceptable amount of time, and i clearly state in my policy to invest afterwards 20% in the military, effectivly making it better. Our army will not be weak, it will neither become stronger, but it will get this 20% cutback, which will last for a little while in order to fund the mining, which in turn will produce enough income to fill the defecit, and to make the military stronger. I try to spare the military as much as possible, however there are not other ways to secure a healthy economy and in turn a strong military".

(I am not a politician in this, but anyway if I was a senator my vote would be yes to the Paraguay Alliance and also I would vote Senator Romano for president).

((As thunderhawk said, you can still vote for me even though your not politican by profession :) ))

I Change my vote from Romano to Rivera. I have came to the conclusion that taking back our land will boost our economy in the long run. We may have to suffer for a year, however the gaining of this land will bring us more money.

((I voted before I made my character and it seemed weird I wasn't backing the military option))

Senator Rivera has taken a more compelling lead, then.

Conservadores Candidates:
Francisco Rivera: 11
Eduardo Emilio Romano: 8

Alliance with Paraguay
Yes: 7
No: 10

((12 hours left, by the way.))

Last edited:
Hope its not too late to join the fun :)

Name: André de L'ombre
Date of Birth: 1805
Party Affliation: Oppotunistic (whichever benifits/fits my view most)
Background: André was originally born in London to a Stephané and Rosé L'ombre. However after his father was accused of 'shadowy business' (being good at cards) his family fled to the relative safety of Chile while all their belongings were repossessed by the 'swindled', this hasn't had the best impact on André who sees himself as French (and harbors his hate for the British) despite haveing Chilean nationality.

Edit: Rivera for presidente and NO to the alliance with Paraguay

Last edited:
((Your character has to be 30, I think. Make him a year or two older))

You only have to be 30 to run for President. Because he's a clerk, he can be any age he likes. (I have been ignoring the age restrictions on Senators, by the way, and will continue to do so.)

i think that is 30 (mind i only worked it out in my head :blush: )

Is voting over or not?

Anyways, here be my character:

Name: Brigadier General (in chilean uh...that would be both Brigadier and General de Brigada) Jorge Alejandro Santandera (original name: George Alexander Santandera)
Born: 1793 (43)
Party: Conservadores (currently, though his support is rather shaky)
Background: Born in great britain to a spanish-british aristocratic family, Jorge and his family moved to Chile when he was 16, and spanish-ified his name.
He fell in love with Chile, and fought for chilean independence against the spanish.
In the chilean civil war, he stayed on the sidelines, preferring not to get involved in the infighting.
He is a staunch chilean nationalist with a mixed ideology. While on the one hand, he comes from an aristocratic family and has the influence of his consevative parents.
On the other hand, he does have sympathy with the liberals and has some ideas himself. The question is if he's going to act on them or not.

So another military dude, but this one might retire from military later on to become a senator or somesuch other occupation.

In the event that voting is still on, I cast my NAY against the Paraguayan Alliance.
My vote for the conservative candidate will be for the cultured gentleman Francisco Rivera.

Last edited:
I think I may be able to speak for all of us in the military, when I send my deepest thanks to the silent majority for their vote for Rivera. We have shown these politicians, that the Chilean people will side with their army to protect them from foreign oppression and agression. As our military strengthen, so too will our economy, and thus the people.

((I don't even know what my character is. I was intentionally vague because I know absolutely nothing about South American history, other than the independence wars were complicated.))

((ya this works alot better when somebody knows something about the actual history of the nation))

Francisco Javier de Miranda Reina circa 1832
Francisco Javier de Miranda Reina,
Born: 1800, April 14.
Party: Conservadores
Background:
Born in Cartagena,Spain, Francisco Javier de Reina, came for a wealthy family with a long military tradition, his father was a General in the Spanish army, he died fighting against the Napoleonic army in the battle of Bailén,1808. His mother sent him to his uncle in Buenos Aires when he was 5. He lived in Buenos Aires till he was 12, and then he moved to Santiago,Chile. In Chile he joined as an artillery cadet in the army at the age of 16, when he was 21 he fought in the independece war against the "realistas" he was made captain at the end of the war. In the civil war he fought courageously with the Conservadores. When the war was over because, of his skills and his boldness he was made Colonel. He married in 1830, to Policarpa Salavarrieta they had a son that same year, and was named Francisco Jose de Miranda Saenz , or Francisco de Miranda II.
Even though he is a "conservador" he is a man of the people and hates corruption.
Colonel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Votes : Rivera
Yay for alliance with Paraguay
-Francisco Javier de Reina,

((Very glad to be here, I've never taken a major role or any at all in a interactive AAR, I really hope you the best. Going great so far, keep it up.))

Last edited:
((I don't even know what my character is. I was intentionally vague because I know absolutely nothing about South American history, other than the independence wars were complicated.))

Hey, no knowledge of Chile required. I think we're sitting at 14-8 in Rivera's favor in the primary vote, and 8-12 on the Alliance with Paraguay.

((Chile seems to have more military commanders than they do politicians... :p ))

((Chile seems to have more military commanders than they do politicians... :p ))

That's okay, that's pretty much what happened historically directly after the 1833 constitution. At this point in history, independent Chile had already had 7 juntas and four supreme dictators since 1810, not including Spanish governors. Prieto was a general who seized power and he historically ruled until 1841, when he was replaced by Manuel Bulnes, a former Colonel under San Martin. It wasn't until 1851 that Chile had its first non-military president (if we exclude Vicuña, who was briefly President twice during the anarchy in the 20's) and the military's prominence in Chilean politics began to fade.