+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II - Dev Diary 13 - Don't Mess with the Pope!

Oooh, a Custom User Title? Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India

I feel the message system used in DW and V2 is the way to go.
    I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Deluxe programmer Paradox Dev Team Tegus's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDivine WindVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by vertinox View Post
    Nice. Will the AI generally leave the Pope alone or will it try to take the Pope's territories just like any other AI country?
    Currently the AI will try not to eliminate the Pope(well, catholic AI:s at least), but if the Pope expands, his territory is treated just like everyone else's.

Simplified and Stylish Realism Bob Ilyani's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Good looking DD, as always. Getting excited!

Additional icons required Demi Moderator pevergreen's Avatar
    54 games registered

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Looks pope-tacular.

Geddit?

I kinda wish to know about the Muslim movement as well.. Man, what I would give for an AAR of this game

It's really nice to hear vassals received more war-declaring powers. Also that the Pope kicks ass for the Lord.
    How did you end up rebalancing him, though? Less money, or limited mercenary-hiring capacity? Something else?

please consider making the following DDs

1) Crusades

2) Technology

3) Byzantium

4) Mongols

5) Muslims

thank you

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn ap Nud View Post
    I feel the message system used in DW and V2 is the way to go.
    well its the best way to do it, the new system and the old side by side instead of sengoku's just the new with nothing to fill the void left by it lacking the old.
    Nationality: New Zealander One of what we all are, your companion and your friend.
    Religion: Roman Catholic I believe in you my brothers and sisters.
    Ideology: Distributist (I'm bored, so for the time being,) POPULIST.
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship I have no convictions I stand for the People, I stand for You.
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O

Is there a way you can adjust Mathilda so she doesn't always attack the Pope? This is important for two reasons. One, shes important to history as a thorn in the HRE's side and two, she was rather fervantly supportive of the Papacy's claims. I'm wondering if she could be be made weary to attack the Papacy if she has traits and/or relations that prevent her or severely discourage from such actions?

Either way, it'd be a shame to see her reduced to virtually nothing, leaving one of the more important characters of the period forgotten in most games.

Regards,

The Great
    Last edited by John Lackland; 30-09-2011 at 09:31.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2500k club

Quote Originally Posted by John Lackland View Post
    Is there a way you can adjust Mathilda so she doesn't always attack the Pope? This is important for two reasons. One, shes important to history as a thorn in the HRE's side and two, she was rather fervantly supportive of the Papacy's claims. I'm wondering if she could be be made weary to attack the Papacy if she has traits and/or relations that prevent her or severely discourage from such actions Pope?

Either way, it'd be a shame to see her reduced to virtually nothing, leaving one of the more important characters of the period forgotten in most games.

Regards,

The Great
    The simplest way would probably be to make her a Papal ally at the start of the game, thus preventing her from going after the Pope every single time.

Willl Holy Roman Emperor be crown by the pope, before he can take on the Emperorship?
    Two will the pope make Anitkings?

Imperial Vicar of the HRE Ruwaard's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Warlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    Claims are one way, but if you are a duke, you get to declare war on those who hold de jure counties in your duchy as well. There are other casus bellis as well.
    Regarding vassals being able to declare war on independent rulers; will their liege not get involved, not even when an independent ruler starts a counter-invasion of his own? I assume that a liege might be inclined to protect the de jure borders of his kingdom, but refuse to support his vassals in their foreign ventures. For example Philip I of France won't support duke William of Normandy in his conquest of Anglo-Saxon England, but Philip would probably support his vassal the duke of Normandy to protect him from an Anglo-Saxon counter invasion. In which situation the liege could broker a mainly status quo ante bellum peace treaty (restores the pre war situation), however the aggressor could still be forced to pay reparations and give up claims.
    Last edited by Ruwaard; 30-09-2011 at 15:00.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Quote Originally Posted by Ruwaard View Post
    Regarding vassals being able to declare war on independent rulers; will their liege not get involved, not even when an independent ruler starts a counter-invasion of his own? I assume that a liege might be inclined to protect the de jure borders of his kingdom, but refuse to support his vassals in their foreign ventures. For example Philip I of France won't support duke William of Normandie in his conquest of Anglo-Saxon England, but Philip would probably support his vassal the duke of Normandie to protect him from an Anglo-Saon counter invasion. In which situation the liege could broker a mainly status quo ante bellum peace treaty (restores the pre war situation), however the aggressor could still be forced to pay reparations and give up claims.
    there are no counter invasions, only aggressors can win anything in a war. defenders fight for a white peace, atleast thats how it sounds anyway
    Nationality: New Zealander One of what we all are, your companion and your friend.
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship I have no convictions I stand for the People, I stand for You.
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O

Sergeant
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIRome GoldEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Orinsul View Post
    there are no counter invasions, only aggressors can win anything in a war. defenders fight for a white peace, atleast thats how it sounds anyway
    If thats how it is then thats pretty stupid, I can understand being unable to grab land, the defender might not even have a claim to the aggressors titles anyway, but not even some monetary reparations? Prisoners? A marriage? Sth? So the defender would have to sign a white peace after trouncing his opponent and then wait for the truce to end before he declares on him again, this time being the attacker, to reduce him?

youd have to read the DD on it, but from what i remember of it i think thats how its going to be. but really who knows, apart from devs and better testers and generally theyre not allowed to say

Don't Press the O

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orinsul View Post
    youd have to read the DD on it, but from what i remember of it i think thats how its going to be. but really who knows, apart from devs and better testers and generally theyre not allowed to say
    In which DD did they mentioned something like that?
    I have read them all and can only remember the thing about the claim.
    But that you as defender are reduced to a white peace...

I think you can force the attacker to give up his claim. At least, that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gronank View Post
    I think you can force the attacker to give up his claim. At least, that would make sense.
    That's what the dev diary on warfare says. I'd imagine also that the defender could demand reparations or hostages or other non-territorial prizes--he just won't be able to enforce his own territorial claims.

Game Director Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tajerio View Post
    That's what the dev diary on warfare says. I'd imagine also that the defender could demand reparations or hostages or other non-territorial prizes--he just won't be able to enforce his own territorial claims.
    That's pretty much how it works, yes.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Sergeant
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIRome GoldEuropa Universalis IV

Can you also demand a marriage as a peace term?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Sounds cool, thanks.

Can you give us some more details on the possibilities?
    Perhaps if you get attacked by two allied counties, if you win, can you force them to dissolve their alliance?
    How do you prevent things like in EU, when you force someone to cancel treaties only to read a bit later that they renewed all of them?

Will you be able to choose a hostage in relation to war score?
    And the last one ;-)
    Is it possible to dissolve a forced marriage in a further war?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast