Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No Walls?

Lead and GoldMagicka

Well newbs wouldnt be able to retaliate in the first place, just on the inability to trespass and simple combat capability. It's easy for high levels to damage low levels no matter what; walls are just more effective at keeping things from getting damaged at all.

Walls are not the only form of defense in Salem

Quote Originally Posted by sabinati View Post
    Walls are not the only form of defense in Salem
    These 'look-at-me-I'm-in-the-alpha' posts are getting a teensy bit annoying. Could we be a little more concise? Are there walls in Salem now? That comment was really not helpful.

Captain

Alphas can't discuss whats in or out so it is hard to answer questions. I think what Sab is saying is that there are other ideas for protection in Salem (that can't be said) so there is not a need to focus on walls. I know it's a hard concept, after H&H, to not think walls equal protection.
    "It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." ~John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Max Planck View Post
    In one of the videos we are told that there will be no walls. You can build a hill though, and crawl up on it if you have the mountaineering skill. People with too low mountaineering skill level can't follow you. You can then throw your hat at them with impunity.
    You mean, like this?

These 'look-at-me-I'm-in-the-alpha' posts are getting a teensy bit annoying. Could we be a little more concise? Are there walls in Salem now? That comment was really not helpful.
    conĚcise /kənˈsīs/ Adjective: Giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive.

"Walls are not the only form of defense in Salem"

use some basic logic dude.

Quote Originally Posted by sabinati View Post
    conĚcise /kənˈsīs/ Adjective: Giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive.

"Walls are not the only form of defense in Salem"

use some basic logic dude.
    I still don't see how your comment contained a lot of information.
    But I take it walls are in after all, along with something else. Something secret.
    Dude.

Well at first lets say with all honesty that things will never be really fair (especially for new players) in a hardcore game.

That being said the no wall concept has a certain sense since the curiosities system is being replaced as well, on the HnH forum jorb said something recently about not mass producing alts with the new system. Everyone will have only one good character and if something like the trespassing battery skill system gets into the game then only those main ones will be able to steal/damage buildings. Thus making scents more usable. As for newbies well they are screwed either way, in HnH a char with some 600 or 700 strength can smash a palisade with his bare hands so nothing new there.

All in all this goes into forcing people to make larger communities instead of half the population grouping in "large" cities of 5 to 10 players and the other half playing it hermit behind vaults and brick walls.

As a HnH hermit I'm not happy with this (two brick walls with a 30 tiles perimeter :-)) but apparently this will be what Salem is shaping up to be.

P.S. as to what the alphas are saying well no walls but a house still has doors and they can have locks...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosynier View Post
    ...as to what the alphas are saying well no walls but a house still has doors and they can have locks...
    This... sounds interesting. Sounds like it could lead to situations similar to station camping in Eve. House camping?
    Please feel free to drop additional convoluted hints/nudges, I'll promise not to throw a fit.

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

About them newbs being helpless.... well, sure, that player can't necessarily do it themselves, but in the old HnH, there were always plenty around ready to take up the reigns of "Justice" and do the deed for small fees (and sometimes just for the SnG of killing an enemy).

But yeah, as to what Sabinati said, try thinking outside of the box. If you want specifics, you'll have to wait to get in the beta (and then you'll be under the same constraints as everyone else).

I find it hard to say much of anything right now on things because you never know what's going to be a firm feature and what could get scrapped or reworked in the coming weeks. But yeah, the ideas on "home security" are getting completely reworked from HnH.

Second Lieutenant

I liked the Wurm Online style where you lock up everything. Looks like Salem is getting the same treatment, especially since many screenshots have chests. Locked containers, houses, and gates is what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Klipse View Post
    I liked the Wurm Online style where you lock up everything. Looks like Salem is getting the same treatment, especially since many screenshots have chests. Locked containers, houses, and gates is what I'm thinking.
    You can't lock crops or resources, that's where the Walls come in.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by shaunsred View Post
    Gates come with walls, or at least I would hope so.

Fences are very easy to just break and just through. In haven, even random noobs could just smash one. Walls required that the person smashing was either obscenely strong, or had a battering ram.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunsred View Post
    You just made me picture a dude behindg down to attach a padlock onto wheat, and it immediately falls over flat.

Quote Originally Posted by sabinati;13687678[B
    ]Walls are not the only form of defense in Salem[/B]
    I still don't see how your comment contained a lot of information.
    But I take it walls are in after all, along with something else. Something secret.
    Dude.
    His comment answered your question I don't see what your tripping on about.

I think there should be walls from different leves, going from those that only defend against animals going up to those capable of defending against a siege cannon.

A game like this without walls should be called GRIEF.

Captain

You have no idea what you are talking about. You know nothing of the protections that are in place in the game. Why is it everyone keeps making assumptions and insults without having even played the game first. Ug.

Maybe, just maybe, there can be other things that are better at stopping grief than just walls. Having played the game, I don't see the need for walls.
    Last edited by JinxDevona; 17-04-2012 at 21:59. Reason: wording
    "It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." ~John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by JinxDevona View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about. You know nothing of the protections that are in place in the game. Why is it everyone keeps making assumptions and opinions without having even played the game first. Ug.
    The only ones that you should be Uggin about are the ones who are getting bent out of shape about it. Some people just want to talk about the possible methods to protect your area. Most likely it will be a claim system similar to HnH and Xyson. Walls will add extra protection. Thats my opinion and assumptions. I could care less if its true or not. The forums are here for discussion about this game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMap View Post
    His comment answered your question I don't see what your tripping on about.
    What my tripping about? I don't get it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast