Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No Walls?

No Walls?

Do you really think it is a good idea to exclude walls in Salem?
    Judging from HnH this will cause a lot of grief.
    We were stolen from, threatened and even killed several times until we had our walls up and lost 3 players (the killed ones) in the process, because they didn't see a point in playing inf anything you do can be undone by anyone.
    Sure, all those crimes left a lot of scent, but what did that do for us?
    Most raiding parties have no base, they just travel through the world ans raze villages.
    Leaving no protection at all is kind of.. hard. It is also in your interest, why should someone pay money for a cow or something valuable, if anyone could take it from you at any time. Especially when you are offline.
    Last edited by Schro; 28-09-2011 at 15:17.

I do agree with you on this in the sense, smaller players should also be able to protect them selfs somehow. I don't mind te grieving and the possibility to harrass. And yes the possibility of tracking someone down though scents is always there, but what am I going to do against someone who is so much stronger then me? I can't go in and take my stuff back or I will leave a scent and probably be killed the next time.

Claims are and should be markers for other players to know that the shit there is mine, not be a semi protective barrier because it would leave scent. It's just not because grief almost always rewards even on the smaller players.

I'm not entirely against raiding and stuff, its part of the game, but it should require some time and effort and not just a certain level.
    This is why palisades and brickwall was a really good solution for this problem.
    There was still a possibility, that a raiding squad will take it down, but you didn't need to fear that all your stuff is gone because of one dude passing by and taking what he wants.

I really hope they include walls or something else to keep random raiders away from your settlement. Even a large faction with strong fighters isn't going to have guards standing by 24/7, so there needs to be something that can slow down raiders or building infrastructure will be pointless.

Crusader Kings IIRome Gold

Blog Entries
    Maybe some kind of Clan system could help.
    Earth Invasion : Los Angeles

The Alien Invasion is here. Los Angeles is lost, unless a few good Paradoxians (and a bunch of Marines) throw them back in the ocean. Rules. Data. Map.

Private
    Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2500k club

you know where wall street got its name, im pretty sure all settlements had defences.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The first thing colonies did was put up walls. It'd be weird without them.

Cities in MotionDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I think there should be walls, but they would have to be so hard to build, that only few rich 'cities' would be able to build them.

Quote Originally Posted by pusty View Post
    I think there should be walls, but they would have to be so hard to build, that only few rich 'cities' would be able to build them.
    Yeah, maybe just like in Hnh.
    You are able to build palisade wall pretty early but it needs tons of wood and days of work to complete it. And later a brick wall which is even more time-consuming. Gather Clay-kiln it into bricks and you need tons of them to get even one wall section, finalizing it with a steel gate, which is even more time-consuming to get. The brick wall is stronger than the palisades and can't be brought down by a single superstrong man with a super quality axe, but you still can do it using a battering ram and several very strong dudes.
    I loved this system and don't see why it should be discarded.

I think the ingame free-market will solve it, without walls people would concentrate more in cities to share protection (could be hired player guards). So instead of scattered cities around the map like we have in H&H, Salem will probable have bigger cities with more interesting services.

Second Lieutenant
    MagickaMount & Blade: Warband

You said that raiders in HnH travel around raiding villages without having any base?
    Can you explain how raiders are able to survive without a strong village to hide in? Why don't someone summon kill them?

I've been playing HnH for a month now so I haven't started raiding/pking yet since I fear being summon killed while offline since I don't have a strong village to hide in.
    I actually found a murder scent from a raider and tracked him to a little camp he and 3 buddies had set their HF's at...
    Coulda summon killed him but didn't want to leave a scent for his friends to get revenge on me.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by pusty View Post
    Agreed.

Walls should be a very lategame structure. Players should first have to build a house, get food, make a farm, and so on. It was kinda lame making walls in Haven & Hearth, especially since they needed pavements. I wouldn't care much if walls weren't included.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Klipse View Post
    Agreed.

Walls should be a very lategame structure. Players should first have to build a house, get food, make a farm, and so on. It was kinda lame making walls in Haven & Hearth, especially since they needed pavements. I wouldn't care much if walls weren't included.
    But for the look&feel / the atmosphäre I think fences and walls are important
    If you want to always be right,
    you need to always be prepared to change your mind.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by siis View Post
    But for the look&feel / the atmosphäre I think fences and walls are important
    I forgot about fences. I think fences should be the only early game wall. Maybe having it limited, so you could only put it on a claim. That way players wouldn't use them as some sort of base defense. They should only be used to protect crops.
    Last edited by Klipse; 11-04-2012 at 01:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Schro View Post
    Do you really think it is a good idea to exclude walls in Salem?
    Judging from HnH this will cause a lot of grief.
    We were stolen from, threatened and even killed several times until we had our walls up and lost 3 players (the killed ones) in the process, because they didn't see a point in playing inf anything you do can be undone by anyone.
    Sure, all those crimes left a lot of scent, but what did that do for us?
    Most raiding parties have no base, they just travel through the world ans raze villages.
    Leaving no protection at all is kind of.. hard. It is also in your interest, why should someone pay money for a cow or something valuable, if anyone could take it from you at any time. Especially when you are offline.
    I thought there will be walls but there will be better ways then walls for defence ?
    i could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by TheTylerLee View Post
    I thought there will be walls but there will be better ways then walls for defence ?
    i could be wrong
    In one of the videos we are told that there will be no walls. You can build a hill though, and crawl up on it if you have the mountaineering skill. People with too low mountaineering skill level can't follow you. You can then throw your hat at them with impunity.

General Demi Moderator
    Sword of the Stars

Or shoot at them with the all-powerful matchlock rifle!!

yea but its kind of ridiculous.. especially if its only to work around walls.
    I understand why Jorb doesn't like them, in Haven&hearth was massive land-grabbing with walls&claims, but for the rest it was awesome.
    I hope they'll change their mind about this.

If we're trying to be historically accurate here, most colonial cities or forts had some sort of walls or defensive structures. Add to that the fact that without walls the only thing stopping later-game players from just walking on your claim and murdering your entire settlement is a scent (Which you most likely can't even track because you've already been murdered). So yeah, walls are a good thing to make sure we have.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunsred View Post
    If we're trying to be historically accurate here, most colonial cities or forts had some sort of walls or defensive structures. Add to that the fact that without walls the only thing stopping later-game players from just walking on your claim and murdering your entire settlement is a scent (Which you most likely can't even track because you've already been murdered). So yeah, walls are a good thing to make sure we have.
    One could turn that argument on its head and say that later-game players who can afford/have access to walls, can just kill newer players without fear of retaliation. 'Cause of them walls, see?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast