• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vote My least favourite captain but my favourite Kiwi.

I'll put my hat in the ring for the next Big. Theme would be Murder Mystery (Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, Midsomer Murders, American hardboiled school...). Borrowing from EURO's Cluedo, all players would pick an appropriate character real or fictional and votes must be made for that character. Borrowing from Ciryandor's Paradox Star League, there would be two types of wolf and two types of seer - this would be in place of cultists. Otherwise, rules would be similar to my previous Big, with a few tweaks I've discussed previously.

Deadline would probably be mid to late morning my time (about now in fact). That should be evening euro time, day time in yankee land, and early morning for our western Pacific players. This may change though, I need to check when daylight savings ends here.
If no one else shows up to host 48 hours from now, job is yours.

I volunteer.

Set-up : new thing.
Deadline : 23GMT.
Theme : THE GAME*.
Cold war 1973.
a505b890-4e4e-11e1-b75a-c879b4e2f8ab-493x328.jpg

Circus infiltrated.STOP. Bulgaria Agent compromised.STOP. Dispatch secret enquiry.STOP.

The setup:

1 pack.

Roles :

- villager.
- seer : can scan once a turn.
- wolf : can hunt once a turn.
- sorcerer (wins with either side) : has 2 special habilities : can kill someone during the night and can revive someone(once per game). Using his abilities won't reveal his identity. Won't be told who the wolves are.

Traits :

- witness : can sneak a peak to gather information. There will be more than one of these.
- double-agents : 1 villager and 1 wolf working together. Their aim : eliminate the entire village. If one of them is killed the other dies.
The wolves can decide to cast a vote to eliminate the double-agent wolf before each hunt. They can vote to kill no one.
- brutal : can kill someone upon being lynched (villagers can be brutal).

One player will be given the opportunity upon game start to switch his role. No informations will be revealed but his previous role.

What else ?

*you just lost it.

Last edited:
sure.

How does the sorcerer count parity-wise? Baddie or goodie?

Regarding the double agents, what is your definition of "eliminate the entire village"? Kill everyone except the pair?

Good point on the sorcerer. Any idea ? Telling him parity is reached if he joins the wolves is giving him too much information. Yet, by sheer logic, since he wins with either side he'll pick victory as soon as possible. So as soon as one side is in position to win he'll go with it. Therefore the sorcerer wins with the wolves by default if parity, him included in the wolves, is reached.

Double agents have to kill everyone. It's the toughest yet most interesting role. I've been thinking about it and here is the only dumb thing I could foresee :

- wolf gives his villager the wolves names. Villager outs them all. Villager is identified as a double agent. Villager lynched, wolf dies, game ruined = stupid.

The double agents have to play a very very subtle game.
The villager will know all the wolves, yet he has to orientate the votes and not look suspicious. If he's "too lucky" in asking the seer to scan this guy or that guy, a decent seer will know he's the double agent.
The villager double-agent cannot become the JL loudmouth, he'd run the risk of getting hunted right away, thus losing along his wolf.
The wolf has to avoid his villager be killed. He'll need to be very subtle in persuading his pack not to hunt his villager without being suspicious.

It's a tough role, and I reckon the odds of them winning are slim to none. However they had flavour. What they really do is you cannot be 100% certain the person you're dealing with doesn't want you dead. It calls for manipulation and subbtle playing.

What I'm proposing here is a complete new experience of WW. The game is no more about waiting for the seer to find wolves, or simply analysing patterns. You have to communicate and think over what you've been told. You have to ponder every decision you make and everything that's being said to you.

The sorcerer is an interesting role as well. He can never be trusted. What will he do ? Will he actively help the village as much as possible ? Will he help the wolves ? He can switch sides at any given time. He's the objective ally of the wolves, but giving him all your packmate names is dangerous, he could sell you out. He can infiltrate the JL, kill the seer and get away with it.
Maybe we need some more balance in this role since his interest is clearly with the wolves. I wanted a very ambiguous role. Maybe he could pick an apprentice amongst villagers and that apprentice has the possibility once in the game to revive him in case he dies ?

This would give these lines of traction :

Villagers and seers want to kill the wolves.

Wolves want to kill all villagers.

Double-agent are faithful to each other.

Sorcerer and apprentice are faithful to each other. The apprentice has to trust his sorcerer to pick the good side. The sorcerer has no allegiance.

Discuss.

Double agents kind of sound like an unwinnable role though. And it sounds like the wolf will even be known as an agent by his pack?

Of course not. The double-agents know each other, but nobody else knows who it is. Since there'll be just one pack I reckon the number of wolves will be pretty high.

The whole point is to force people out of comfort zones and start using disinformation and PMs. If you don't act you're likely to die.

Make the sorc able to spot double-agents maybe?

That'll make the task even harder for them. I think they should be findable only through analysis.

Double agents kind of sound like an unwinnable role though. And it sounds like the wolf will even be known as an agent by his pack?

Of course not. The double-agents know each other, but nobody else knows who it is. Since there'll be just one pack I reckon the number of wolves will be pretty high.

The whole point is to force people out of comfort zones and start using disinformation and PMs. If you don't act you're likely to die.

That'll make the task even harder for them. I think they should be findable only through analysis.

IF the pack doesn't know a wolf is a double-agent, it seems balanced. It also adds balance to the sorc.

Good point on the sorcerer. Any idea ? Telling him parity is reached if he joins the wolves is giving him too much information. Yet, by sheer logic, since he wins with either side he'll pick victory as soon as possible. So as soon as one side is in position to win he'll go with it. Therefore the sorcerer wins with the wolves by default if parity, him included in the wolves, is reached.

Double agents have to kill everyone. It's the toughest yet most interesting role. I've been thinking about it and here is the only dumb thing I could foresee :

- wolf gives his villager the wolves names. Villager outs them all. Villager is identified as a double agent. Villager lynched, wolf dies, game ruined = stupid.

The double agents have to play a very very subtle game.
The villager will know all the wolves, yet he has to orientate the votes and not look suspicious. If he's "too lucky" in asking the seer to scan this guy or that guy, a decent seer will know he's the double agent.
The villager double-agent cannot become the JL loudmouth, he'd run the risk of getting hunted right away, thus losing along his wolf.
The wolf has to avoid his villager be killed. He'll need to be very subtle in persuading his pack not to hunt his villager without being suspicious.

It's a tough role, and I reckon the odds of them winning are slim to none. However they had flavour. What they really do is you cannot be 100% certain the person you're dealing with doesn't want you dead. It calls for manipulation and subbtle playing.

What I'm proposing here is a complete new experience of WW. The game is no more about waiting for the seer to find wolves, or simply analysing patterns. You have to communicate and think over what you've been told. You have to ponder every decision you make and everything that's being said to you.

The sorcerer is an interesting role as well. He can never be trusted. What will he do ? Will he actively help the village as much as possible ? Will he help the wolves ? He can switch sides at any given time. He's the objective ally of the wolves, but giving him all your packmate names is dangerous, he could sell you out. He can infiltrate the JL, kill the seer and get away with it.
Maybe we need some more balance in this role since his interest is clearly with the wolves. I wanted a very ambiguous role. Maybe he could pick an apprentice amongst villagers and that apprentice has the possibility once in the game to revive him in case he dies ?

This would give these lines of traction :

Villagers and seers want to kill the wolves.

Wolves want to kill all villagers.

Double-agent are faithful to each other.

Sorcerer and apprentice are faithful to each other. The apprentice has to trust his sorcerer to pick the good side. The sorcerer has no allegiance.

Discuss.

You need to be very careful as to not make the double agents a hopeless role. Nobody likes losing before they've started.

It looks very interesting though, but I can't shake the feeling that it's going to go haywire, especially with the double agents. The sorc will probably just get hunted or lynched as soon as possible.
Vote drxav!

Well everybody knows there are double-agents. The pack is well aware. It just doesn't know who it is.

The double-agent role is pretty "suicidal", yet interesting to play. It fits a veteran or a daring player, not your common sheep voter. It requires strategy and thinking ahead.

I reckon they should be rewarded with how far they can get. Perhaps they could eliminate a wolf every 2 or 3 nights? That'd make 2/3 villagers and 1/2 wolves down every 2 days for them : that's 5 enemies down every 2 days. with 30 players, 10 wolves, that's 6 turns to win.

Or maybe not. Thinking about this, their role isn't that hard if nobody commits to find them. They're just 2, they're unscanable, they have information others don't, they can have at some point the entire setup known. It's playable I reckon.

I thought the wolf would be scanned as a wolf, but that could be an interesting idea. Then again, the village would have no weapon against that. An unscanable wolf inside the JL will surely kill the entire pack. It'd add flavour by end-game when the JL realises it's been infiltrated, but it seems unfair to wolves.

Random kills are part of the game. The night 0 random hunt applies to all roles after all.

A villager-lover's mission is to find the seer as fast as possible to target scans.
A wolf-lover's mission is to avoid his packmate being hunted.

Both of them would live better off without the seer, but that's just what wolves do.

They're not unplayable at all, they just require out of the box thinking. I am reminded of my Big game.

And they have a positive impact on the game, adding paranoia to both JL's and wolfpacks. I'm just saying there should be one way to figure them out rather than analysis, otherwise, they become the most powerful role.

Adding lover is a bad idea, in fact, that whole concept is best forgotten. And yes, random applies to the whole game. Just make sure there is more than one pair of double agents, so that the concept isn't compromised at night 0.

When I said lover I meant double-agent. The double-agent role is called lover in the card game.

They're the most powerful role along the sorcerer. They're designed to be so. What they require is smart people. It can be a total pwn role, or a total fail role depending on the pair.

I think I'll lose the night 0 hunt, and instead provide RP elusive elements to the witnesses. It'll start serious business from day 1 and prevent someone from stupidly miss the party.

I thought the wolf would be scanned as a wolf, but that could be an interesting idea. Then again, the village would have no weapon against that. An unscanable wolf inside the JL will surely kill the entire pack. It'd add flavour by end-game when the JL realises it's been infiltrated, but it seems unfair to wolves.

It's double edged though. The agent wolf couldn't become JL spokesman, get outed as cleared or be too helpful to the JL without giving up his identity.