• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the composition of those Garrison divisions?

Just 2 brigades of GAR. I wanted to churn them out quickly, and MP is still hovering around 100. . . they'll eventually get a brigade of AA and Art.

Good idea, although I doubt that you'll need to beef those up by much as the AI will take time to knock them out. So either you get there in time with your aircraft / ships to disrupt the AI or the islands are lost anyway. Do you plan to protect all ports in Iberica with garrisons as well?

Good idea, although I doubt that you'll need to beef those up by much as the AI will take time to knock them out. So either you get there in time with your aircraft / ships to disrupt the AI or the islands are lost anyway. Do you plan to protect all ports in Iberica with garrisons as well?

Well, stay tuned to see, but the real threat is America down the line. I'm trying to figure out if it's even going to be possible to hold them off in the Atlantic. There's no way to build a big enough navy, so we'll have to find other ways.

Chapter 16: A Fateful Meeting

It was on May 3 that Franco decided to finally accept the invitation of Germany to join the Axis. With that, he flew to Berlin to meet with the German Fuhrer to discuss their alliance.

hist_us_20_ww2_pic_franco_hitler_hendaye_1940.jpg

It was here that Franco learned about Hitler’s plans for Europe, and how Spain would fit into the plans to create a Fascist continent. Franco walked into a room with a large map of Europe on the far wall. He had to look again to grasp what this map was representing. There were no borders, no lines, and all of it was one colour.

The German spoke first, reaching out and shaking hands with the Spaniard, “Welcome to Berlin, Herr Franco! Let’s talk about the future!”

Franco tuned out while Fuhrer droned on about his vision, but began to pay attention once again when he started to address what Spain’s role might be.

“Our Axis is only as strong as its weakest link,” he said. “Spain must not be that weak link. I forsee that the West will not take lightly to our expansion plans. You must have your countrymen ready to prevent a two front war. Eventually, we will destroy the Bolsheviks and we cannot have any distractions.”

Franco nodded and gave the German leader his assurance that Spain would “guard the back door.” However, in exchange, the Fuhrer agreed to look the other way from Spain’s Imperial visions. After all, how could Spain be strong enough to provide security without the ability to expand its industrial might too?

Franco left the Reichstag and flew back to Madrid where he met his cabinet. He told him what their responsibilities would be.

“When we join the larger war, our job will be difficult. We will have several strategic objectives that will help make Europe impregnable to any attempted allied invasion.

“Step 1 would be to take Gibraltar. No easy task, as the British are dug in deep there.

Rock_of_Gibraltar_South_Viewpreview.jpg

Step 2 would be to use our holdings in Morocco to flush the French out of North Africa thereby assisting the Italians who, Hitler assures me, will join our side.

Finally, we need to make our holdings impregnable to any Allied invasion force. The biggest fear would be if the Americans awake from their isolationist slumber and enter on the side of the UK. Their carriers and air power would be quite a force to reckon with, therefore, we will need strong garrison forces, and powerful fighter planes and Naval bombers to deal with them."

General Varela Iglesias spoke up, “But how will we be able to produce all of the material necessary?”

“Ah. Der Fuhrer will look the other way as we expand our empire. But this time, we will look east, not west.”

It was here that Franco learned about Hitler’s plans for Europe, and how Spain would fit into the plans to create a Fascist continent. Franco walked into a room with a large map of Europe on the far wall. He had to look again to grasp what this map was representing. There were no borders, no lines, and all of it was one colour.

Heh... I'm reminded of the scene from Captain America where the visiting German officials look at the Red Skull's map and find out "Berlin is on this map!"

Heh... I'm reminded of the scene from Captain America where the visiting German officials look at the Red Skull's map and find out "Berlin is on this map!"

Haha.... I just watched Captain America! Good flick!

You've won the civil war quickly, and the Portuguese campaign was even more one-sided, so what's next? What is to the east of Spain that represents a doable target? Greece?

That question will be answered soon.... not quite the next post, but the one after that!

Chapter 17: A Quiet Time for Spain - May 4 - December 31, 1937

Following Franco's acceptance of Hitler's offer to join the axis, a quiet time ensued for Spain. It was a time where construction on longer-term projects took priority, and research of important technologies was under way.

19370504lossneutrality.jpg
There were benefits to joining the axis.... like better research speed.
19370518prod.jpg

Trades were made to stockpile resources and sell supplies (thereby maintaining a stockpile of currency with which to purchase production licences).

19370619Veneztrade.jpg
19370622USSRtrade.jpg

On July 3, The axis grew stronger, welcoming Japan to its membership. Shortly thereafter, Japan asked to be allowed to run a debt in our trades. Since we had no trades with them, it was approved.

19370703japanaxis.jpg

In July, partisans became a small problem, but our mixed light armour and cavalry division was dispatched to handle that.

19370720uprising.jpg

In early August, our final two Garrison divisions were made available. They were dispatched to Bissau and Cape Verde to bring the 13th and 14th Infantry divisions home.

Also in August, with our numbers of officers in a much more acceptable range, we began to fully fund 4 research projects, focusing on doctrines for infantry and artillery.

19370821tech.jpg

On October 6, a parliamentary scandal took place, wherein Pedro Sainz Rodriguez was caught lying to the high court. Franco had no other choice but to replace him with Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera as minister of security.

19371006scandal.jpg

On October 20th, another scandal took place, making the replacement of Varela Iglesias as the Chief of the Army. He was put in charge of the 11th Infantry Division. Emilio Mola Vidal was chosen to replace him, allowing the decay from artillery practicals to slow by 25%

19371020scandal2.jpg

By mid-december the officer corps was approaching optimal levels and thus Franco prioritized research.

19371212tech.jpg

At the end of December, the wing of interceptors being purchased from Germany was completed. Aside from higher morale and organization, there was little difference in the performance of the German and the Spanish fighters. Rather than purchase licenses just yet, Franco decided to produce another wing of fighters internally. He would eventually devote research to upgrading the fighters, but that could be done at a later date. He hoped that he would be able to license better planes at a later date.

19371229fighters.jpg

Research on three projects completed between May and December. There were advances in Supply Production, Operational Level Organization, and Agriculture.

19370710supply.jpg
19370809oplevorg.jpg
19370905ag.jpg

The year ended quietly with Franco retreating to the island of Mallorca to spend the holidays with his family.

Where did you get the extra 2.17 Leadership that is showing between your two distribution images?

Building ICs is similar to going after Education: if you're extremely low, it is common sense to want more, but the investment has too long a payoff. These three factories you have started won't pay for themselves until at least April 1945... will the game be over by then? And in the time you wait for these factories to finish, you might have been able to produce two Infantry divisions (or three, depending on practicals) instead. Will it be more helpful to have those divisions or four (with the bonus from your laws) extra ICs in a year and a half? Similar to Leadership, it is usually more cost-effective to get ICs from your enemies if you're low. Just some food for thought...

Where did you get the extra 2.17 Leadership that is showing between your two distribution images?

Building ICs is similar to going after Education: if you're extremely low, it is common sense to want more, but the investment has too long a payoff. These three factories you have started won't pay for themselves until at least April 1945... will the game be over by then? And in the time you wait for these factories to finish, you might have been able to produce two Infantry divisions (or three, depending on practicals) instead. Will it be more helpful to have those divisions or four (with the bonus from your laws) extra ICs in a year and a half? Similar to Leadership, it is usually more cost-effective to get ICs from your enemies if you're low. Just some food for thought...

There's no extra leadership.... the first image doesn't have the total at the top visible, but if you add it up, it's the same, I've just moved the sliders around.

As far as the IC goes, I agree that if one does the math, whether it's "worth it" or not can be debatable. Each one costs approximately 3705 IC days (7.18 IC * approx. 516 days) used to build. Under wartime laws, and with my current leaders (adding up to a 65% bonus - wartime production = +50%, Armament minister = +10%, Franco adds another +5%), it would take 2245 game days to repay itself. Divided by 365 days, that would be right around 6.15 years (or 6 years and approximately 55 days). So basically, they'll pay for themselves around mid-June of 1944. However, by increasing Industrial Production tech as well, the percentage of bonus IC rises, and the IC units pay for themselves sooner. So yes, I agree that there are perhaps better uses of IC than to build IC.

Now, that said, I'm not trying to play the game "perfectly." I had originally thought about chaining IC production, but I have decided that I won't produce anymore after this run is finished. Where does that leave me? Trying to do two things at once (building IC and sort of building up the army), and neither particularly well. However, as a flavour, I think Franco wanted his industry, and he wanted it NOW damn it! (Although the now was in 17 months when it finished building.) Besides the practicals have some value as well.

Anyways, I'm trying not to play the game too far ahead (although I've actually had a couple of SNAFUs with screenshots and had to reload a save, but trying to do exactly what I did before), and thus, I'm trying to play without the benefit of hindsight. I've never played a game all the way through with Spain before, and so once the wider war starts, I really have no idea what's going to happen to little old Spain.

We'll find out together, and I hope you stay with me!

There's no extra leadership.... the first image doesn't have the total at the top visible, but if you add it up, it's the same, I've just moved the sliders around.

Whoops, yes, I hadn't been paying as close attention as I thought. Looks like Franco has reviewed his build plans through very thoroughly.

Whoops, yes, I hadn't been paying as close attention as I thought. Looks like Franco has reviewed his build plans through very thoroughly.

He may be relaxing on the beach in Mallorca, but he makes the pencil pushers work over the holidays.

Can't believe I somehow missed this one! HOI has been kind of on the back burner lately, but I still like to check on threads, and I thoroughly enjoyed your tutorial!

Those Messerschmidts might not be a lot better than the Italian biplanes, but they sure look a lot more businesslike. Image is something too, you know. ;)

Quiet period of progress, and Franco even gets to enjoy the beach. Things are pretty good in Spain right now.

Those Messerschmidts might not be a lot better than the Italian biplanes, but they sure look a lot more businesslike. Image is something too, you know. ;)

I agree... biplanes are sooooooo "last decade".

Can't believe I somehow missed this one! HOI has been kind of on the back burner lately, but I still like to check on threads, and I thoroughly enjoyed your tutorial!

Welcome Avindian .... and thanks!

Quiet period of progress, and Franco even gets to enjoy the beach. Things are pretty good in Spain right now.

I agree... biplanes are sooooooo "last decade".

You're right about the biplanes being out of style, but I think it must be an old file photo that the War Department put on Franco's desk. I mean, what bi-plane can go 500 kph? I mean, I don't think they get to that speed while falling from the sky after getting shot down!

Hehe, the CR.42 biplane was once fitted with the DB 601 engine as an experiment and reached up to 518 km/h.

Really like this AAR, found it through your tutorial which helped me too. HoI is a hard game to start :p

Chapter 18: The Men are Getting Too Comfortable - January 1 - April 27, 1938

On January 16, Franco was still vacationing at his villa on the island of Mallorca. He heard that the French cancelled a minor shipment of rare materials.

19380116Francetrade.jpg

He barely batted an eyelid at the news, but had decided that things needed to progress. The men were getting to comfortable, camped out in Spain, enjoying the prestige as the courageous fighting men of the Civil War and the Portugal War. They were enjoying too many nights in the cafes and bars of Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, and even occupied cities of Porto, Garda, and Lisbon. These men needed to be toughened, and the time was coming where Spain needed to expand it's empire.

The next week, when he returned to Madrid, Franco met with his cabinet.

"Gentlemen, I hope your holidays and new year were restful, for we will have a busy time ahead. I spoke of looking to the east, well, in 1938, we will make our presence known!"

Mola, the new chief of the Army looked at his Presidente, ready for a challenge. "Where General Franco? Will it be Turkey? Greece? You know, I wouldn't mind sunning myself on the Peleponnese Islands after our victory!"

"No, Emilio," said Franco, his voice getting lower and hushed. "Our target will be . . . Albania!"

Silence greeted Franco. "Ok, yes, I understand that this will not be a difficult conquest, but it will give Spain a foothold in the Balkans to be able to take our next objective, Yugoslavia."

All of the men around the table, exhaled in unison, relieved that their leader had not gone completely mad.

Franco continued, "Taking Albania would avoid a messy assault on the defended Yugoslavian ports, and would also allow the troops to form a coherent line of advance. Emilio, you will draw up your plans to commence the assault on Albania, and the subsequent conquest of Yugoslavia to begin on April 1. This date will also coincide with the freeing of some IC with the completion of the new factory complexes around April 10, and the completion of research of a new main rifle for the infantry that will allow upgrades to begin to trickle in to the troops in the Balkans. The troops would also have new morale building routines researched by then as well."

Thus, the cabinet went to work to prepare for what was assured to be a round of more glorious Spanish victories!

Things remained quiet while the leaders of the country prepared in total secrecy. On January 26, a revolt rises up in Portugal. A cavalry division is sent to deal with this pesky annoyance. Also towards the end of January, the first airfield was completed at Bilbao, and by the 2nd of February the uprising was crushed.

On February 28, Franco’s foreign minister heard that Japan had conquered Shanxi.

19380228japan.jpg

On March 11th, our partners, Germany decided to unite the German speaking countries by annexing Austria in the Anschluss.

On the 14th, Franco learned that indeed, the Italians did join the Axis.... this “Pact of Steel” gave him some unexpected bonuses to his research efficiency and supply production.

19380314pactofsteel.jpg

Emilio Mola Vidal entered Franco's war room. "I have completed my plans, Presidente."

Our troops will line Albania's Eastern border, 4 provinces long with Yugoslavia. I Corps will be in the north at Shkoder. II Corps further south in Rreshen, III Corps in the south at Korce, and in the Capital of Tirane. The IV Corps would have a special assignment, to take a second port – the port of Dubrovnik, and to widen the front from there.

19380427Yugoplan.jpg

"Excellent work, Emilio. Now go and make your final preparations!" Franco told him.

The three new technologies had been completed right on schedule, with the final one, the perfection of a new assault rifle, completed on March 27.

19380402research.jpg

On April 1, Franco was informed that the military had begun in their quest to take the mighty Albania! The Navy was already off the shores of Tirane.

Mola had decided that the III. Corps would spearhead the attack. Heavy equipment attached to the infantry of the first 2 Corps would only serve to slowdown the assault.

At 2 am, the declaration of war was delivered and the troops began disembarking.

19380401albania.jpg
19380401invasion.jpg

By 2300, Tirane was in Spanish hands, and by midnight on the 2nd, King Zog realized that any resistance would be futile.

19380402troopsinAlbania.jpg

Albania was now part of Spain’s new mighty empire. Spain now had access to a level 5 port and level 2 airport in the Balkans from which to stage our assault on Yugoslavia. The corps headquarters was dropped off at Tirane, and then the navy returned to Barcelona to pick up the rest of the troops.

On April 10th, 3 new factory complexes were ready to begin spooling up for work. Franco had selected Madrid as the location for them, as it was central, and protected by anti-aircraft guns.

19380410ICandassaultconcentration.jpg

Franco was also informed that our researchers had made advances in Assault Concentration which, they said, would improve the organization of our artillery units. With the available industrial capacity, and with greater manpower available, Franco decided to train a division of mountaineers who could be deployed in the north of the country to fight against france, or in the mountains of Morocco.

19380410mountain.jpg

On the 18th, Spain received a surge of volunteers to sign up for war! On the 19th the country received an economic boost!

19380418surge.jpg
19380419econboost.jpg

The troops were in place, just as Mola had promised.

19380427prepforYugo.jpg

At 2AM on April 28th, War was declared, and Franco held his breath. This would be the first real test of his troops’ mettle.

19380428WaronYugo.jpg