• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Welcome back, to another update, in the second week of Sengoku, for more information on what we are doing for the 1.02 patch. The Sengoku team has been rather busy last week, looking at what needs to be fixed and what needs to be enhanced.

Its great to see so many people enjoying the game, and its motivating for the team to hear polite and constructive input on how to improve it further. We guess that with another week of development on this, and we can deploy the patch to QA to make it ready for release.

First of all, one of the major comments on Sengoku has been that it felt a bit shallow on events, and that you wanted more interaction with your characters. So far, we've added in two event-series, with the first one focusing on more things happening with the Portugese and the Dutch as they arrive in the Land of the Rising Sun. Some provinces will get tradeposts in them, giving you certain benefits, while causing some relation strains with others. The second event series is about how you raise your sons. You will now be able to pick the education direction of your sons at the age of 10, and then they will end up with an education trait at the age of 16. During that time period, they may get some events that may boost their abilities in that path.

Secondly, we looked into the mod forum, to see what kind of ideas the community has, and one of the things we've implemented so far is the impassable mountains. I have to personally admit that it was a true *facepalm* moment when I saw the thread and though, "why didn't we think of it?". Then again, our community is great and there are a lot of ideas that you come up with. This concept is something which will increase the playability of the game, with provinces becoming chokepoints, and was not hard to implement. We also changed how borders are drawn, so that the impassable areas are more visible.

sengoku_28.png

Thirdly, we realise that for an update, you need to get improvements from the AI. This week the coders have spent some time on making sure that the AI has become much better at plotting, to band together and take down the big threats. So the mid and endgame should be a tad bit more of a challenge.

Also, when patching, its not just adding and improving features, its also about changing design, when the customers are united in disliking how a feature works. One thing we've noticed you disliked a lot, is the cancellations of projects when a Master dies. In 1.2 this will no longer happen, but will just stall until you get a new master assigned to the project.

Finally, when making a patch, its about fixing any bugs reported that is reproducable. Three of them that stand out in the changelogs, and I wish to highlight here are the following.. The long load times when resigning and reloading, characters getting the same ambition multiple times in their life and the thing that slayed too many characters before the age of 40. All of these ugly bugs have been slayed and eradicated from the Sengoku codebase. Of course other bugs have been fixed as well :)

We still have a few major things planned for the 1.02 patch, and hope to tell you more about it in next weeks update. Please remember that we will never announce anything for a patch that has not been fully implemented or fixed yet.

Keep playing Sengoku, get your friends to buy it, and give us constructive feedback here, and we'll keep on updating and polishing the game to even greater heights.

Good stuff. Look forward to it. I like the event additions. Would be great to maybe even get a few more in there. One other small flavor item in relation to fleshing out the "Character" side of things. Would be neat if maybe you pulled from a list of reasons for death. For instance I had a young wife who died at age 25...this happen right after she had a child. I just assumed that was cause of death but if Im not mistaken the game never tells you why someone died. Just a "Died from child birth", "Died of old age", "Died from heart attack", "Died from flu sickness" type thing on those messages would be neat. Yes small item...I know. But also perhaps a pretty easy thing to add.

Good stuff. Look forward to it. I like the event additions. Would be great to maybe even get a few more in there. One other small flavor item in relation to fleshing out the "Character" side of things. Would be neat if maybe you pulled from a list of reasons for death. For instance I had a young wife who died at age 25...this happen right after she had a child. I just assumed that was cause of death but if Im not mistaken the game never tells you why someone died. Just a "Died from child birth", "Died of old age", "Died from heart attack", "Died from flu sickness" type thing on those messages would be neat. Yes small item...I know. But also perhaps a pretty easy thing to add.

And as a follow up, as I have already suggested in another thread: please remove deceased/sent to monastery relatives from the Ruler View, mainly spouses and children. You could add a new page in the Ledger, listing all the relatives that passed away/retired with further details, including Tekkor's request.

Regards.

very nice and that's probably the time to be honest I'll offiically start playing Sengoku, lol.. heh

If only the Sengoku AAR for CK II Beta Keys extended past the patch :(

BTW, still haven't heard anything on this, but would you be including a "back" button as well?

Last edited:
Some thoughts from my first playthrough:
1) Vassals that refuse an order to commit seppuku should either be forced to leave the service and become ronin or instigate a civil war. They would never be allowed to remain in service, especially not provincial lords.
2) Why do I have members of my clan with goals to become Captain of the Guard or whatever, but they don't appear on the list of people I can promote into these positions?
3) It would be nice if I could promote my tricky wife to be my spymaster. Also, while women have a pretty bad place in Japanese society, there were Onna Bushi at the time, as well as a few female clan leaders.
4) I would like to be able to propose more plots than the few the game allows.

Better and Better, more plots and easier plotting, addressing quick honor gain for big clans, chokepoints and impassable terrain, this is shaping up really well. A back button, more options for ninjas and your retinue and I think we're there.

and one of the things we've implemented so far is the impassable mountains. I have to personally admit that it was a true *facepalm* moment when I saw the thread and though, "why didn't we think of it?"
I actually thought this was left on purpose, with the idea that no mountains are impassable, some just take a really long time to get through, using small mountain trails and such. I liked the idea that you could either go the physically longer route, which might go through enemy territory, but takes less time OR you could take the shorter route through a mountain range, that took a longer time, but you ran into less enemies.

Now that you've decided to implement impassable mountains, I'm gonna have to be the voice of opposition and ask that you add some ways to pass the impassable! Say, maybe certain general traits could allow for this? Or you could hire ninja to guide you? Maybe one of your masters could be assigned to chart routes? Of course, it could still take a lot of time and there'd be attrition, but I wanna be able to cross the Alps with elephants, dammit!

Terrain limits is going to make some provinces extremely valuable, it will be a great as clans fight for key provinces to either protect themselves or secure the ability to launch invasions at will. It also means that you can use the mountains as a border to focus you war efforts on the other border. It will make the Japan Map even more fun to play on.

Wouldn't mind seeing greater attrition for levies in mountainous areas, regardless.