• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Administration is concerned about lack of progress in Northern China. The commander of the Northern HQ claims that taking the communist fortresses is impossible at the moment unless he gets more troops. Considering that we do not have any reserves, it might be wise to adopt a defensive posture in the North and transfer light bombers attacking Yan'an to the South, where they should be more useful in the close air support role. This could potentially make the job of our soldiers easier and reduce our casualties.

The Administration believes that we cannot spread our forces too thinly and that it is best to concentrate our airforce in places where real offensives are being conducted. Direct air support is necessary, so we should use more aircraft in ground attack missions and improving the skill of our pilots in conducting them should be a top priority. Interdiction missions should be more useful in the Malaya, where it would be best to hit the reserve troops of our enemies in order to weaken them and give our marines a chance to capture a port before the enemy brings more reinforcements to Kuala Lumpur and overwhelm them.

Last edited:
Adm.Yamamoto: Kuching

It somewhat annoys me that out of the 9 divisions requested for phase 2 of Operation Pāpurumonkī only 5 were deployed by the Administrations attaché to the Army. The operation design did not call for swiftness of action, and allowed for delays until such forces were available if need be. This explains why the IJNs Marines were unable to take Kuala Lumper on their own and couldn't move swiftly on to link up with the northern forces. Indeed if the full amount of troops were requested, they would have been adequate for the resistance that we did face. The Malayans were not underestimated.

Secondly, why when the express purpose of the mission was to put boots on the ground, did our fleet in the Singapore straight linger for 4 days after they had completed their mission? It is no wonder that the Royal Navy took their opportunity to surprise the fleets there. We gave as good as we got, but that engagement should have never occurred. The fleet should have been on defensive patrol as soon as boots were on the ground. The ships were not intended to support ground operations, and non were called for.

Hence once again we are left with a débâcle.

Luckily this one isn't particularly serious as the marines in the south should march north, and the northern marines south to create a link-up. The extra 4 divisions that were not deployed should be deployed to the Northern port as soon as possible. One would question the sense of our local marine commanders in attempting to encircle the city, but as they were given no contingency commands this cannot be helped.

Our air transport wing will most likely get mauled by allied fighters if they attempt air supply missions to Malaya. If they are to do this, then we need substantial fighter cover over the region. As many as perhaps 6 fighter wings if we are flying regular missions. We can mitigate this issue by flying the resupply at night. Troops on the ground can fire flares/light fires where they want drops to be made near their positions, but not at their positions. Insuring that supplies are more accurately dropped and our transports are harder to intercept.

Once again I seriously question Adm.Baltersars suggestion that we use CAGs to bomb the port and ships at Singapore. The air defences their are substantial in the extreme. Not only do you have the fleets AA guns there are at least 6 flak gun positions around the port. If you want our carrier aircrews dead before any naval operations this is a fine way to go about it. I cannot authorise them in such a use, particularly if you want to flush the RN out by attacking from the land.

Furthermore I seriously question the judgement of trying to continue to force decisive actions. As far as I can see all the ships currently at Kuching must return to Japan immediately bar the IJN Oi (CL) and IJN Yubari (CL). In fact, they might as well return with the rest of the fleet because all the other ships are back in Japan, and reorganisation will be better there, then out here.

Similarly we must recognise that these were some of our best capitals, five out of our total capital ships. Indeed we would be throwing our old battleships like the Great War era IJN Fuso against the Royal Navy who are in their own waters with much superior air cover as was witnessed during the battle of the Singapore Strait where we were outnumbered 13 to 7 in the air.

This is the second battle like this Adm. Baltersar which is why we MUST operate with land-based air cover from now on. If we don't we are guaranteed to loose ships like in the last two engagements. It is not a statement of choice, it is a statement of necessity, since our industrial might is less than 1/5th of the UK and USA plus assorted allies.

The key to our long term survival is to remain a threat to the Allies by retaining our navies so we can fend off their offensives in the region, and not squander our resources on attempts at glory or gambles of decisive engagement.

Strategically, blockading Singapore is not a good guarantee. The Allies will have ships at Rangoon, and possibly at Oosthaven as well, there is little to no guarantee that the majority of the Allied ships are docked at Singapore. Therefore it is questionable that attempting to blockade the port will aid us in at a strategic level, furthermore tactically it leaves us open to being sitting ducks like at the Battle of Singapore Strait.

I don't like this course of operation.

I would much rather that Malaya be taken, we then advance on Singapore overland and take the port forcing the RN out of the Gulf of Siam and general South China seas area. This denies them surface protection to their subs operating in these waters, thus allowing us to engage in an ASW mission in the south China Seas, Gulf of Tonkin and that general area as the British attempt to sink our Malayan and Borneo Supply lines.

The capture of Singapore denies the British their main base in the region. It is not really taken for our base of operations, but to deny the Allies theirs.

Having said this sending our torpedo bombers, to commence night-time port strikes could deal some damage, and I may authorise a single one off mission with our CAGs to attempt a mass sinking, given our number of CAG wings, so long as they operate with some heavy fighters on air superiority over Singapore, we could organise 3 waves of port strikes with an attempt to sink ships damaged at the Battle of Singapore Strait. But I do not want to see continued operations, since that will certainly result in too high a cost to our air crews.

Production:
Our cruisers do take a good while to be built, but in terms of IC days, I believe off hand that our production plan that built practical ends up making them our better option, at least given their general better usage in the fleet, cruisers have what our fleets need in the coming years; anti-air guns.

Our light carriers can be combined with air patrols and small destroyer fleets once Singapore is taken for antisubmarine actions in the general south China area.

If what you Adm. Baltersar say is correct and we have 73IC freed up this quarter then we could do with several things;

1. I think the current ship production budget is as good as we should generally expect it could be. Placing further ships into the queue might be possible, but I believe off-hand that our navy is approximately the same size as it was back in '39 and since then we have sank many Allied ships, meaning that in terms of parity, while the Americans outnumber us, and will continue to do so we are not in 'crisis mode' with regards to ship numbers. So long as we pose a credible threat to the Allies at sea and don't do anything rash, our production plan should leave us in a reasonable position for the next couple of years.

Alternatively;

We request to the army, a mass ship production scheme with the aim of attempting to at least remain in more equal parity with the Americans and British. This would insure that rather than being ultra cautious, we would have the assets for in the future expanding our PDP to the rest of Indonesia and delivering our position to the Allies in stronger terms. This would also insure that we drastically reduce our vulnerability in the pacific.

2. Air power. I am becoming increasingly convinced that a dearth of bomber assets is hampering our operations. While our NAV technologies are not the most up-to-date they do represent a great way to cover large areas of ocean, and additional sea attack craft to aid with engagements where they arise, or to act as units that really can bomb ports well. Given that the key techs for NAVs are their attack ordinance and aero-engine to out-fly fighters, and both of these correspond to CAG techs that are fairly well developed anyhow. Investment here for 1-3 wings might be a reasonable idea.

3. The Army will no doubt have trained new high level officers for this year. This means we could build a strategic reserve force. However it should be noted that if we ever want to secure further positions in Indonesia we shall need that reserve. We would also require it for stand-off with the Russians.

4. Our rocket facilities should be continued to be expanded once they have been set up. After all we do not require massive facilities to test next generation aircraft engines. This will take up a fairly large chunk of that freed up budget yet again.

Research and Production plans must go hand in hand therefore we must decide on either a research or production plan, then develop the other to match. The two cannot be independent. I shall consider research team proposals.

It somewhat annoys me that out of the 9 divisions requested for phase 2 of Operation Pāpurumonkī only 5 were deployed by the Administrations attaché to the Army. The operation design did not call for swiftness of action, and allowed for delays until such forces were available if need be. This explains why the IJNs Marines were unable to take Kuala Lumper on their own and couldn't move swiftly on to link up with the northern forces. Indeed if the full amount of troops were requested, they would have been adequate for the resistance that we did face. The Malayans were not underestimated.

Secondly, why when the express purpose of the mission was to put boots on the ground, did our fleet in the Singapore straight linger for 4 days after they had completed their mission? It is no wonder that the Royal Navy took their opportunity to surprise the fleets there. We gave as good as we got, but that engagement should have never occurred. The fleet should have been on defensive patrol as soon as boots were on the ground. The ships were not intended to support ground operations, and non were called for.

Hence once again we are left with a débâcle.

Luckily this one isn't particularly serious as the marines in the south should march north, and the northern marines south to create a link-up. The extra 4 divisions that were not deployed should be deployed to the Northern port as soon as possible. One would question the sense of our local marine commanders in attempting to encircle the city, but as they were given no contingency commands this cannot be helped.
The deadline was the end of the year - any further delays could have been fatal. In fact, the Administration is of the opinion that the operation was conducted too late, because of the lengthiness of the rescue operation on Kiska, which allowed the enemy to bring considerable resources to the area. Also, the plan did not rule out engagements with the RN unless conditions were unfavourable. The enemy caught our fleets by surprise DESPITE the fact that we operated both within the range of our fighters AND one of our submarine flotillas was patrolling local sea zones. What is more, the first battle was actually quite favourable to us and in spite of this fact, we were cautious and our fleets were ordered to withdraw. It was the second battle which was fatal and neither our pilots nor our submariners spotted the second task force that reinforced the first one.

The marines were supposed to act as a vanguard, as they usually do. When it became apparent that Borneo was not heavily defended we planned to transport our infantry as soon as ports and Kuala Lumpur were secured in order to avoid severe logistical problems, but the transport fleet received different orders when the enemy engaged our fleets. The marines failed to take Kuala Lumpur in a frontal assault despite considerable air support and this is the prime cause of our problems.

It should also be noted that after the Aleutian Campaign we try to spread our troops over as many transports as possible and even use some transports as decoys in order to minimise potential casualties in case of the transports is sunk. However, we never merge all of our transports with our fleets in order to minimise coordination problems, which hamper fleet positioning, so it is a sort of balancing act.

This is the second battle like this Adm. Baltersar which is why we MUST operate with land-based air cover from now on. If we don't we are guaranteed to loose ships like in the last two engagements. It is not a statement of choice, it is a statement of necessity, since our industrial might is less than 1/5th of the UK and USA plus assorted allies.
If you did not notice, Admiral, our fighters did not save our ships. The Administration believes that one of the causes of the recent failure is the belief that our CAGs should focus on supporting our troops on the ground instead of focusing on the protection of our fleets - something which they are capable of doing because they are usually in near vicinity of the main fleet. Using CAGs in the direct air support role greatly increases the chance that our fleets are caught off-guard for several precious hours and we do not have the power to control weather, either.

Last edited:
Furthermore I seriously question the judgement of trying to continue to force decisive actions. As far as I can see all the ships currently at Kuching must return to Japan immediately bar the IJN Oi (CL) and IJN Yubari (CL).
The vessels at Kunching are just a part of our fleet. Most of the ships are still in Japan and fully servicable.

In fact, they might as well return with the rest of the fleet because all the other ships are back in Japan, and reorganisation will be better there, then out here.
I'd prefer some port in between Borneo and Japan to speed things up.

Similarly we must recognise that these were some of our best capitals, five out of our total capital ships. Indeed we would be throwing our old battleships like the Great War era IJN Fuso against the Royal Navy who are in their own waters with much superior air cover as was witnessed during the battle of the Singapore Strait where we were outnumbered 13 to 7 in the air.
Hence I ask for all CAGs not stationed on carriers to be moved to Kunching to support operations in the are. That'll give us quite a lot of additional airpower in the area... for what it's worth.

The key to our long term survival is to remain a threat to the Allies by retaining our navies so we can fend off their offensives in the region, and not squander our resources on attempts at glory or gambles of decisive engagement.
We simply can't wait for the enemy to attack us when he wants. That way we allow the enemy to coordinate against us, ultimately grinding us down with overwhelming numbers. We must strike when we can against target we can destroy to weaken the enemy. The neccessasity is exactly the vast industrial superiority on their side, which you mention. We can not wait until they have assembled a fleed several times of ours and just steamroll our ships.
This has nothing to do with glory hunting or squandering our assets. This is pure strategic neccessity. We must attack and strike them where they have not concentrated enough forces to withstand us. We must sink as many of their vessels and save as many of ours as possible at the same time. We must show them that even if they win over us in the end, the cost in men and material will make it a phyrric victory to them. This is our only long term goal, our only realistic prospect to end this war we did not ask for.

Having said this sending our torpedo bombers, to commence night-time port strikes could deal some damage, and I may authorise a single one off mission with our CAGs to attempt a mass sinking, given our number of CAG wings, so long as they operate with some heavy fighters on air superiority over Singapore, we could organise 3 waves of port strikes with an attempt to sink ships damaged at the Battle of Singapore Strait. But I do not want to see continued operations, since that will certainly result in too high a cost to our air crews.
Alternate proposal:
Have Singapore captured and force the RN to battle. Then have the wings in Kunching add their weight to the battle in waves. This way we would have all our air assets available while the RN would be deprived of their airfield in Singapore. Even if their land based fighters would intervene, they would need a lot longer to travel back and forth from the next airbase.

If what you Adm. Baltersar say is correct and we have 73IC freed up this quarter then we could do with several things;
Mind you that 2/3 of this will originate from discontinued army productions.

We request to the army, a mass ship production scheme with the aim of attempting to at least remain in more equal parity with the Americans and British. This would insure that rather than being ultra cautious, we would have the assets for in the future expanding our PDP to the rest of Indonesia and delivering our position to the Allies in stronger terms. This would also insure that we drastically reduce our vulnerability in the pacific.
Personally, I would like another capital in this. It is pretty much inevitable that we will lose capital ships eventually and this way we could operate a whole additional fleet around this new capital ship eventually if we were lucky enough not to lose one.

2. Air power. I am becoming increasingly convinced that a dearth of bomber assets is hampering our operations. While our NAV technologies are not the most up-to-date they do represent a great way to cover large areas of ocean, and additional sea attack craft to aid with engagements where they arise, or to act as units that really can bomb ports well. Given that the key techs for NAVs are their attack ordinance and aero-engine to out-fly fighters, and both of these correspond to CAG techs that are fairly well developed anyhow. Investment here for 1-3 wings might be a reasonable idea.
If we were to do this, I would strongly argue for research investments into these techs and doctrines. We have few units, we need to make the most of them.

3. The Army will no doubt have trained new high level officers for this year. This means we could build a strategic reserve force. However it should be noted that if we ever want to secure further positions in Indonesia we shall need that reserve. We would also require it for stand-off with the Russians.
From what I gathered, the army should have sufficient divisions by now. However, they seem to be interested in more advanced forces, although we lack decent enough techs for this in my opinion.

4. Our rocket facilities should be continued to be expanded once they have been set up. After all we do not require massive facilities to test next generation aircraft engines. This will take up a fairly large chunk of that freed up budget yet again.
This is the single most expensive item we have on the slate. How many levels of this do we really need?

The Administration is seriously concerned over the instance of the Admirals to station so many aircraft and ships on Borneo. Technically it can be done, but it may not be a rational thing to do, because port capacity on Borneo is quite limited and we already have some troops, ships and aircraft there. Also, it should be emphasised that overstacking our planes can be very counter-productive and troops fighting in China need air support, too.

This is the single most expensive item we have on the slate. How many levels of this do we really need?
Several, the exact number being dependant on what we plan to research. However, we expect that rocket test sites will become much cheaper in the future, as we gain experience in constructing and maintaining them.

From General Surt to the Imperial General HQ,

Returned from my visit to OKW in Bitburg, I can perhaps put some light on the German success in Leningrad and losses in the south from small talk in the OKW. The success at Leningrad has the positive effect that the AG Nord will have less supply problems as they now can sail supplies directly to the front. To reach this far is also with the help of all the small harbours.
On the south front the bad supply situation earlier in the year has cause a significant loss of combat ability just like ours in mid-China, and the successful defence of some units sadly caused them to be surrounded as the other units at their flanks collapsed.

I'm pleased we joined the united nations, seems like a good initiative from our foreign minister with all those boni ((how on earth did we join??? wasn't it an exclusive allied club?))

The situation in Malaya seems messy, but instead of moving north to join up with our 2 divisions there the 3 other should take the other harbour in Malaya(3) as the small port(1) up north can't supply all 5, the 2 northern should try to link up with the southern 3 anyway. Now we can transport 4 more division into the northern port which minimises the exposure to enemy action.
When we attack Singapore our fleet must blockade the port to sink the damaged ships, even if this means we get engaged by another CW fleet, this means all fleets should converge for this. If we don't sink the damage ships they will just repair them again and they will be stronger than before. As many H-Ftr as we can put into the south Borneo air-port will support this (3 I guess).

Depending on the timing of Singapore we should first go for Nauru, invade and blockade it to sink the mini-task force there.

The situation on Borneo is not critical, and our troops are advancing in the north but I fear we got too many troops in the north part, we should take 4 divisions and transport them to Malaya prober as detailed above. Also 3 H-Ftr should immediately rebase to the air port there to provide cover for our fleets escape from the trap there. They can also recon the sea-zones there with an air-superiority mission (don't include the Singapore sea-zone at first).

I don't suppose the navy would consider using Truk as base to catch enemy fleets moving through our area instead of Honolulu, the more central position would allow us to intercept a larger area. And I am afraid the transports are going somewhere to reinforce CW forces or make an invasion so the detection of these fleets are vital. Setting up 2 H-Ftr in Kwajalein with max intercept range might be able to detect all CV fleets moving through our areas from the east.

Further naval operations should only be conducted with a majority of our fleet present, else we will be in danger of being defeated in detail. The engagement at Singapore shows this, we lost a lot of escorts (and we will soon lose the great navy bonus as we get under 100 ships soon).

The situation in China is mainly improved thanks to our taking the 2 treaty ports, which meant we didn't need to transport so much south and therefore could supply our central front, the upgrade of the rails to the central front must continue as the major demand will be coming that way, the front near provinces has highest priority as the infra there is the lowest. The rail line to Nanchang from Shanghai should also be upgraded to level 5 (if it isn't already) else improve Le'an (south of Nanchang).
The administrations wish to station the CAS in the south should not be approved as the extra supply demand would trip the load, Nanchang could be used as base instead as its considerable closer to Shanghai. The supply problems in the south should be resolved by clearing the supply lines from Changsha toward the south west, eliminating the bulge the Chinese has in our front.

Gentlemen, all in all we will have 73,9 IC worth for planning by the end of first quarter '43. Might I suggest that every one of us forwards a plan to make the most of this.
Hmm less 17IC for the next rocket project(up to level 6) so 57, 1 extra CL to replace loses in recent battles so 50, so I would like to building 12 divisions for the rest as we have a critical shortage of feet on the ground. But what we really should be building instead of the infantry is an extra H-Ftr as the ground attack role of the CAGs now demands more air support and an extra CAG to take over due to the extra losses and an medium arm division (1 arm brigade sourced from Germany) to start building the armed forces, 2 Mech brigade (one at a time) for it with our own tech to make a M.Arm+2Mech+TD division then inf for any remaining.

I am absolutely opposed to building any 2-engine planes as these will make huge demands on our research budget, if you want bombers build more H-Ftr(for land bombing) and CAG(naval bombing ((I'm pretty certain I expressed my doubt about the ground attack role earlier but neglected to condemn them again :( ))).

Research addendum to Adm. Baltasars proposal
Naval
+A critical missed tech is CAG pilot training as HIGHEST Prio at all.
Common
+All rocket techs as they become available as high(est) priority (exclude rocket artillery and Jet bomber completely)
(+)All single engine techs except escorts. (just in case Baltasar missed any)
Night Mission Training ('42) as 2nd highest priority after CAG pilot training.
Electronic and Mechanical computing as 3&4 highest overall.
Any tech needed for Proximity Fuse as 5th highest(that would be combat radios?) then Proximity Fuse itself as highest.
I would agree on First Aid ('39) after its done we can look if we need more.

Army's research proposal
Tank Crew training
Maneuver Focus
AC gun then AC arm (for AC and Mech)
All M.Arm techs (repeat until up to date)
Breakthrough exploitation then Kampfgruppen
All art tech (excluding rocket)
Rocket launcher asap (at rocket test site 2?)
fighter pilot/ground crew training
if there are still free army slots use them for common techs.

ps. shouldn't fighter pilot/ground crew training be army only as CAG is navy only?

I'm pleased we joined the united nations, seems like a good initiative from our foreign minister with all those boni ((how on earth did we join??? wasn't it an exclusive allied club?))
*What? This is just a NU-based modifier. We lost it because of the impact that subs have on our convoys AND because our enemies are lowering our NU, but thanks to our spies, we gained it back.

and we will soon lose the great navy bonus as we get under 100 ships soon
*We lost it a long time ago.

I am absolutely opposed to building any 2-engine planes as these will make huge demands on our research budget, if you want bombers build more H-Ftr(for land bombing) and CAG(naval bombing ((I'm pretty certain I expressed my doubt about the ground attack role earlier but neglected to condemn them again ))).
*The idea of dual-specialisation was rejected.

ps. shouldn't fighter pilot/ground crew training be army only as CAG is navy only?
I'm not sure, but it makes sense, I guess.

Last edited:
Depending on the timing of Singapore we should first go for Nauru, invade and blockade it to sink the mini-task force there.
Not possible, moving the fleets around would take weeks and we do have no free SNLF divisions to land on Nauru anyway. Singapore is the more important target.

Final plan of the Navy for Q1 '43
Admiral Yamamoto: pending Approval
Admiral Baltasar: approved

Strategic considerations
We are now at war with two of the most powerful navies in the world. We do know that the enemy fleets at the very least have eleven (11) battleships, three (3) battlecruisers, five (5) fleet carriers and fifteen (15) escort aircraft carriers. On top of this, we know about twenty (20) cruisers and twenty-three (23) destroyer groups. Again, this is certainly only a fraction of their actual forces.

To make things worse, the USA alone have a substantially larger industry than us. Combined with the other allied nations we are facing a steep uphill battle. If we aim to have any chance at all on this struggle, we need to sink as many enemy vessels as possible while losing as few as possible of ours. To this effect, the fleet will deploy in force in one area of operation at a time instead of trying to fight everywhere at the same time. The fleet must be preserved or we will lose the means of preventing the enemy from attacking us at his leisure.

Order of Battle

- 1st fleet, battle group Ise (3x BB, 2x CA, 3x CL, 1x DD)
- IJN Fuso
- IJN Hyuga
- IJN Ise (flagship)
- IJN Aoba
- IJN Kinugasa
- IJN Tatsuta
- IJN Tenryu
- IJN Yubari
15. Kuchikusentai

- 2nd fleet, battle group Yamashiro(3x BB, 2x CA, 3x CL, 1x DD)
- IJN Mutsu
- IJN Nagato
- IJN Yamashiro (flagship)
- IJN Mikuma
- IJN Mogami
- IJN Abukama
- IJN Isuzu
- IJN Yura
26. Kuchikusentai

- 3rd fleet, carrier group (1x CV, 3x CVL, 4x CL, 2x DD
- IJN Soryu (flagship)
- IJN Hosho
- IJN Ryujo
- IJN Shoho
- IJN Kashii
- IJN Kashiwara
- IJN Kiso
- IJN Kitikama
17. Kuchikusentai
19. Kuchikusentai

- 4th fleet, fast division (2x BC, 2x CA, 2x CL, 2x DD)
- IJN Ibuki
- IJN Kurama
- IJN Asama
- IJN Takao
- IJN Oi
- IJN Yahagi
21. Kuchikusentai
24. Kuchikusentai

- assorted transport craft. We suggest to use at least two transports per division.
- assorted escort ships for the transports
- one (1) wing of naval bombers
- two (2) wings of tactical bombers
- five (5) carrier aircraft wings currently deployed on carriers IJN Kaga, IJN Akagi and IJN Zuiho (these carriers will recieve replacement CAGs when they arrive in Japan for repairs)
- one (1) corps with five (5) infantry divisions
- one (1) corps of five (5) SNLF divisions

Operations against Malaya and Singapore
1st*and 2nd*fleets will operate directly off Singapore, aiming to force the British into battle. 3rd*will stay out actual fights and provide close air support in the area. 4th*will function as covering force for transports, immediate backup should the other fleets need backup and as a pursuing force once the enemy tries to withdraw.
All damaged ships in Kunching which are not earmarked for transfer to a new fleet will return to Japan for repairs. The carriers will leave their CAGs in Kunching where they will support operations in the area.

The main objective is to force the enemy fleets into battle and attack them with overwhelming firepower. To this end, the aircraft at Kunching will scout the areas between Kunching, Java and Sumatra. Should they find enemy warships there, the combined sea and airpower in the area will engage, leaving one of the fleets (preferably 4th) blocking Singpore. As long as no enemy fleet is found, the aircraft will support operations against Singapore (with port strikes if feasible) and Malaya. Our air commanders will need to run this carefully, as they will be the ones with most important tasks.

Secondary objective is the conquest of Malaya and Singapore. Once the fleets are in position, one corps of infantry will be transferred from Borneo to Malaya. The forces in Borneo will receive reinforcements once they become available (ie once more troops finish training). The infantry corps will land three of it's divisions immediately northwest of Singapore at Batu Pahat with the majority of it’s forces. Once there, they’ll turn to attack Singapore from the land side. Air forces in Kunching may support this attack, depending on the circumstances.

A fourth infantry division will land a little further north, at Padang Endan, establishing a land link with the SNLF around Kuala Lumpur. This division will either support the attack on Singpore if necessary, if not the division will support operations against Kuala Lumpur. Once Singapore falls, one division will remain on guard duties while the others will support operations in Malaya.

The fifth infantry division will land even further north at Dungun and establish a land link with the SNLF there, thereby connecting all operations in Malaya and Singapore. Once this has been achieved, the division will support where necessary.

We strongly advise to avoid destroying Malayan forces. Instead, we should aim to dislodge them from their positions and force them into submission by occupying their vital installations. Once the Malayans realise that we're only there to institute a proper Asian government, we expect most of their forces to remain loyal to their country and side with us against the western imperialists.

Regrettably, Hawaii will remain without naval support during this operation. It is a risk we have to take since the enemy outnumbers us heavily. This is also the reason why the main objective is to destroy enemy vessels.

Submarines will continue their efforts to scout for enemy fleets. This is their primary objective. They’re likely to be the first to notice any enemy vessel and we do need every advance warning we can get. Engaging enemy vessels, military or not, is secondary and only allowed if it does not compromise their primary objective.

Situation permitting, the SNLF corps will leave the area of operation and commence land operations against the Dutch East Indies. The corps can also transfer to Borneo if the need arises. The fleets will support these operations at the discretion of the administration.

Getting all the forces involved into place and ready for action will probably take a few weeks, thus we assume it is not useful to make further plans against other targets.

We suggest to base 1st to 4th fleets at Kaohsiung (Taiwan) instead of Kunching to ease the supply situation in Borneo. The administration may change this if they think another port would be better suited, as long as the fleets can still act freely around Singapore without running out of supplies.

Targets of opportunity
If the opportunity should arise, operations against small enemy positions may be launched. Again, the aim is to destroy the enemy forces there. Gaining ground is not deemed important. Landing forces may be used to force enemy fleets to engage our waiting fleets. Once done, all forces involved will withdraw. We are overextended as it is, we do not need to gain yet more ground to cover in the Pacific.

Production

We will finish constructions and trainings worth about a third of our total industrial capacity within the first quater of 1943. The navy asks that another light cruiser production is added to the production with a series of three ships. The rocket test site should be expanded as well. We might consider ordering a series of three or four construction runs, since we need them anyway and we might save some time and cost in the end. Another CAG wing would be appreciated, too, since we have to cover quite a lot of room in the north Pacific and we need to keep our strike craft available where they're needed. Last but not least, we strongly require that our existing radar stations are being upgraded as far as possible (level 10) and that further radar stations are being prepared for deployment, eg on Singapore.

Research
The following list is contains all items we deem neccessary and are sorted in prioritsed order.

Naval research

Night Mission Training ('42)
CAG Pilot Training ('40)
Large Warship Radar ('42)
Scout Planes ('42)
Carrier Escort Role Doctrine ('37)+ (under research, to be continued)
Central Air Command Structure ('38)+ (under research, to be continued)
ASW Tactics ('39)+ (under research, to be continued)
Naval Air Coommand Structure ('40)+ (under research, to be continued)
Commander Decision Making ('41)
Small Warship ASW ('42)
Fire Control System Training ('43)
Battleship Taskforce Doctrine ('43)
Maritime Attack Ordinance ('42)
Radar Training ('42)
Light Cruiser Design Principle ('43)
Capital Ship Crew Training ('43)
Carrier Crew Training ('43)
Cruiser Escort Doctrine ('43)
Cruiser Crew Training ('43)

Common Techs
In light of our recent losses, I suggest to research Agriculture ('40) and First Aid ('39) as well as common (imperial) research project. Further common project would be:

Officer Training ('42)
Aerio Engine ('43)
Single Engine Aircraft Armament ('43)
Single Engien Airframe ('43)
Small Fuel Tank ('43)
Light Bomb ('43)
Small Navigation Radar ('40)
Small Air Search Radar ('41)
Fighter Ground Crew Training ('42)
Central Fighter Command Structure ('42)
Electronic Computing Machine ('43)
Decryption Machine ('43)
Encryption Machine ('43)

Strategic Doctrine for the Prosecution of the Naval War Against the Allies

With the entry of the British Commonwealth to the Americans in the pacific Imperial Japan has a just Cassius Belli to occupy the Malayan Peninsular which for the most part should resolve resource shortages in oil and metal needed to fund our recent industrial expansion. Yet their entry has breeched the carefully constructed pacific defense perimeter (PDP) forcing us to rebuild it to protect internal shipping and the home islands.

Our war at sea is not one of aggression, and only needs to prosecuted to insure that island assets are secure and protected against enemy invasion. To this end in a practical sense we only need to sail when we need to, when we are threatened.

The concept of the PDP was to insure that we take away the Allies ability to threaten us by occupying their major bases in the region. Against the Americans we have already done this with Hawaii meaning that it looks like they can only supply naval invasions via the Bering Sea and Aleutians, however there is a threat that there is another route via the south pacific island bases. Still, they have lost their main supply base.

For the British their main supply base is Singapore. With this in our hands their ability to threaten us with invasion is reduced immensely. China should be out of their range meaning that like Hawaii if we are to see a British invasion against us it will be more than likely to be at Palau, Borneo or to recapture Singapore. This means that we know more or less exactly where our enemies are forced to attack. Thus we know exactly what ground and seas we need to prepare so that when the enemy do turn up it is fighting on our terms.

My entire strategy focuses around making it too costly to attack our holdings and to solidify our position rather than attempting a global domination victory which we know from the industrial potentials of our adversary is impossible.

As such even attempting to try and rally blows with our opponents is utter folly, since for them that is exactly the kind of approach that they want. They know that we cannot out produce them, therefore even if it costs them 5 ships to sink 1 of ours they are breaking even. This is why we need to aim to conduct as few a naval engagement as possible. The longer we retain our strength, the longer we remain at a parity to conduct operations.

We must also consider how their war budget will change if we start sinking ships. As it stands the Royal Navy has some modern, and some outdated vessels, but if we were sinking ships in number, the Royal navy will feel threatened, meaning more of the Allied budget will be poured into shipbuilding, meaning that in two years or so from now we shall be facing even more modern allied ships because we gave them the incentive to build more by sinking what we could now.

I would rather that we leave the Royal and other allied navies thinking that they have the ships for the job in the current year, then spur them onto a mass ship production program.

All this helps us maintain parity with their navies.

Thus any actions that are not fought for us with all the odds on our side are squandering our resources. This includes the current proposal for attempting to blockade Singapore*.

Key Points;
1. The IJN will attempt to retain its asserts for future use.
2. IJN Engagements will be minimised to the absolute necessary.
3. Where we do Engage it will be in counter offensive roles only.
4. We will prepare the likely regions of engagement to be favourable to us.

Strategic Points;
A. The ports of Honolulu and Singapore are occupied to deny them to our enemies more than for our own use.
B. The rest of Indonesia past the Celebus Sea is beyond an easily defensible PDP at this time;

map_pacific_overview_I03.jpg

The new PDP should be constructed thus.

C. An airbase in the north of Sumartra allows Rangoon port to be continually threatened by bombers attacking the port. Without Singapore or Oosthaven, much of the Allied fleets will be forced to base from here. Hence giving a much better opportunity to sink Allied fleets in the pacific than at sea.

D. The Australian Ports will be an issue if we start moving in those waters, since they are close to their home ports. We should avoid a Papua Campaign until we have the assets for them. The ports of note are Port Moresby (Lv.4), Adm.Is.(Lv.5) and Rabaul (Lv.7) ;

HoI3_1979.jpg

These represent a fairly major hazard, since unlike the other allied ports we would require three separate operations to remove these bases from the Allies roster. In our long term goals, this is a necessity to eventually secure a full PDP, at which point all major Allied ports would be under our control, giving us the pacific initiative. However we do not have anything near the level of assets able to conduct this campaign. Hence we avoid these waters like plague.

E. Truk and Palau are generally vulnerable to allied invasion attempts. However we must recognise that they are not the best locales for us to base to or from because of this, and their exposed position regarding merchant shipping. They are not points we should consider strategic, rather than as liabilities. Kwaligen/Entiok. Saipan, Hawaii are far more strategic to us.

Operational Doctrine:
With a PDP, our aim is to wait for the allies to come to us, targets like Truk or Palau look ripe and juicy for allied commanders, and they will be under pressure to perform. As we have done in the past, once an invasion has began, we have been able to concentrate our fleets and air wings on location to maximum effect.

With us having to maintain fleets at both ends of the pacific, this becomes and even greater necessity. The further Japan attempts to take ground in the pacific, the fewer and fewer ships we shall have to guard waters. The more engagements fought, mean fewer ships still. This is why it makes more sense to wait for the Allied fleets to come to us. We don't want to going looking for trouble.

If we conduct local operations we will get overwhelmed piecemeal. But so long as our fleets can work together with integrated support, the Allies should never be able to overwhelm us with numbers, because while they may have large numbers to throw at us in the future, we will be using our full force against smaller elements of their own.

If we go with this PDP, and it's the best I can see at the moment to conserve our limited assets we could seriously do with a production strategy that works with it prefering an investment strategy in ships over modernisation.

Production Strategies:

Modernisation:
A brief overview of rocket projects;
Lv.1. Rocket Artillery
Lv.2. -No Research Team Proposals-
Lv.3. Strategic Rocket Design/Radar Guided Missiles & Bombs**
Lv.4. Flying Bombs
Lv.5. Surface-to-air missiles / Air-to-air missiles
Lv.6. Jet Engines$

**Greatly improves ground attack roles for light aircraft, as well as sea attack for naval aircraft
$A super powerful engine allowing strong interception ability for such aircraft.

Note: The Administration shall need to confirm if they are right or not, since I believe my version doesn't have quite the same costs.

My suggestion is that we build a prefab testing building to deploy on our site. Thus building two rocket test sites in the current production budget once we have laid the groundwork on the first. Thus in six months we shall be able to access radar guided ordinance since it looks like we are almost within making this theory a reality. This should certainly improve our position towards the end of this year, meaning we go into '44 with the very best in air ordinance.

Then for the latter half of a year three sites, giving access to Jet Engines for construction in early '44, and our first jet aircraft for the end of that year or early '45. That is if we wish to follow this investment program at these costs.

This gives us room and flexibility enough to produce a mechanised corps alongside this investment. Over the course of this coming year. Given that no more emphasis is placed on shipbuilding.

I am against building medium armour, because such units are only of any good use on the plains of China or central Manchuria. Both these areas we already control. Pure mechanised infantry is a much better route, particularly given our expertise in armoured car design.

Overall it is this admirals opinion that the modernisation route is looking less profitable given divisions over purpose, and overarching strategy. It is this admirals opinion if this route is followed, we should only follow it to produce next generation aircraft ordinance and mechanised forces. Rather than going the full hog. That means we do not put all our eggs in one basket, allowing industry to be freed up for more tactical purposes.

Shipbuilding:
This program should concentrate on numbers of cruisers over capitals. While we spent many years researching for modern battleships, we should have laid two when we had the chance. However I am in two minds as to if we should lay the second planned battleship, since its been several months even more, practical has been lost, and we must consider the fact that there may likely be overruns meaning that this second hull may not be produced in good time. On the other hand, we want to go into the closing stages of this war with a fine navy.

Still we can produce a fine navy of modern light ships.

The Americans and British can outproduce us in naval aviation by a long way. Because of this, our long term strategy needs to realise that in years from now we will be fighting against a much stronger enemy air force. Therefore a step up in cruiser production is what I might favour since they offer good all round balance. If we opt for such a strategy, we could fit another cruiser into the budget, as well as a destroyer flotilla if the army would let us. Although on that last one we might wish to upgrade its design beforehand. Thus I would not favour any production of destroyers at this time.

Such a program would see the following build outlays (in rough terms);

NPP_LP_00.png

NPP_MP_01.png

NPP_MP_02.png

There is no High Priority program, as that would turn over pretty much all available IC to the IJN for the next three years. It goes without saying that the IJA would never accept such a production plan, however it would allow us two capital ships for a similar amount of escorts as the medium production plan. Or another 6-8 escorts on top of the staggered plan.

The main question is whether to accept either of the medium production plans, since the low priority is what we are already embarked on.

Only the low priority plan guarantees the army large scale funds to raise new corps. If either of the medium plans were prosecuted then that would leave the army having to decide between infrastructure or new corps.

Either sets of programs leave a small amount of IC for small changes in tactical need.

Summery:
Let me stress however whatever strategy we do choose cannot be 'half hearted'. Therefore what we decide this quarter or next fixes the entire rest of the war as far as we can see it conducted;

1. The IJN can seek to hold the PDP (as highlighted) with the low priority build plan so long as we don't act rashly and squander our ships.
2. We would rather need one of the two medium plans if we wished to deal with the Australian threat and conduct a solid Papua campaign without risk.
3. If we attempt a Papua campaign with the low priority build plan we take a serious gamble because a single series of bad battles could cost us the ships needed to keep solid deterrent fleets.
4. There will be no chance of the IJN being able to fund any naval operations around Burma without one of the medium plans, AND a suitable air investment.
5. A low priority plan, allows 1/3rd of our modernisation programs to go ahead. Either; Mechanised Corps, or Next Generation Air Ordinance.
6. A solid modernisation program allows all three modernisation programs, but it does mean we are more or less limited to our current position in the pacific that will likely decay with time (but we would be impossible to oust from China-Manchuria and the home islands).
7. A modernisation program would allow total radar coverage of the home islands as well as strong tough jet fighters. Thus even if the Pacific holdings were ever lost, then no aggressor would be able to invade Japan or bomb us into submission (so long as air assets are retained).

Japan must develop a strategy for the post war state of affairs. Either we hope not to loose pacific holdings, and develop a state of the art ground and air-force for if that comes to pass. Or we pro-actively defend the pacific seeking to keep the allies so far from the home islands, and without bases they realise this Great Power with wither war for years to come and the Allies will have to whittle us away piece by piece before they can threaten us at home.

Overall, our aim is to force a stalemate based on strength of position. NOT on strength of arms.

Our research plans must be tailored to one of these two production plans.

I wish to repeat that last statement to the army. We cannot follow separate choices between the army and navy any more. We need a combined research and production plan tailored to one of these two strategies.

Tactical Concerns will be considered once we have chosen and overall strategy to follow. This admiral will not approve any document plans for this quarter until this is done. Since it strongly affects his stance on tactical matters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Although there are some good elements in setting up a trap to sink ships with our air power.

Admiral Yamamoto,

I am at a loss about how you can possible cobble together such an ignorant strategy. Your way of thinking will surely lead to the fall of the Japanese empire. I tried to explain my own strategy earlier: We need to inflict losses so we show the enemy that they'll not gain anything from being at war with us. There is no way the western powers will just let the war petter out. If you had attended history lessons, you'd know that they have conducted literally hundreads of years of colonial warfare all over the world. They did bully those they thought were too weak to resist and ally themselves in short-lived alliances with those who they think are strong. Remember that back in the glorious days of 1904/05, we were considered the strongest power in this part of the world. This and this alone led to the alliance with Britain during the Great War.

These days, however, seem to have been forgotten in London. They obviously think that we are weak and thus think we will roll over and do whatever they want. We will do neither. Instead, we will show them the folly of their arrogance, we will defeat them time and again. With our enemies embroiled in Europe, a theatre they will consider much more important than distant Asia, they would rather seek peace with us than allow either the Fascists or the Communits to rule the continent.

To force them to negotiations, we must make this war costly for them. Costly in men, costly in ships, costly in supplies. We must harass them as much as we can with as few losses on our side as possible. I, for my part, am still convinced that the current US dictatorship has not released the full scale of their massive losses. I fully expect these losses, whether or not they have been confirmed publicy, to be the single most important issue in the next presidential elections in the USA. If they start negotiations with us in the aftermath of said elections, it will be only for one reason: They will be tired of suffering losses for no gains at all.

The same will be true for the British. We do not need to invade their colonies, but we need to hurt their military machinery. We need to prove to them that we are able and willing to fight them, we need to show them that their precious colonies in Asia are in grave danger and that they can not protect them as long as they are at war with us.

Adm. Baltersar

I agree with you in principle, but your sense of long term strategy is totally lacking. Sinking ships will do us no good if we end up with pyrrhic victories on our hands. Therefore we must stack the odds in our favour, and this means not engaging unless we have design to, or needs must. The more battles we fight, the more likely we are to loose more ships. Unless one of the medium priority build plans are put into action then we can't be cavalier about engaging with the Allied fleets.

This is why I want a cautious doctrine in our actions, since the allies are winning unless we are sinking five ships for every one of our own lost. We must also consider that the more threatening we are in the short term to their production ministers, the more they will prioritise shipbuilding leaving us in the future facing more of the most up-to-date ships.

We must use some of their sense of arrogance against them to not prioritise their own shipbuilding any more than is already. In the long term if they cannot remove our navies threat over the next three years, then we have 'won' even if we haven't sank masses of ships; we still have superiority in the Pacific and after four years (the same lenght of time as the Great War stalemate; sense of perspective) that hasn't changed. Coupled with our legacy from the Sino-soviet wars and Great War this should garner their acceptance of us as a power among equals, just like our ideological position is. Thus tying the strings together nicely to create a coherent standpoint with our terms.

On the other hand, if we make it too bloody, we shall see a '3rd wind' in 2-3yrs time with about 5 times as many new ships as our own, while we shall have lost numbers likely near equal to the Allied navies. This means that at the very moment when we are hoping for war weariness to kick in with their regimes, we are handing them the pacific on a platter and with blood-lust raised it will be much harder to bring them to the table.

Remember that the British have serious issues with Gandhi nationalist movement “Quit India” in at the moment. Him and his working committee have even gone so far as to not support the British war effort unless India gets its independence from British rule! These movements have been growing over the last couple of decades and it won't be long before the British will be forced one way or another to declare an independent India, and with that they will have little hope to continue a war with us for an undisclosed period of time.

While we don't stand with him, his right to self-determination is much the same as ours, and the British know that our ideology is sparking nationalism. Therefore one might assume that they are looking for a short war to try and 'put us down' before India or other colonial areas get too much idea of their own independence. If we can drag the war out as long as possible against them, then sooner or later the British Empire will face other crisis which play into our hands. This is the geopolitical world we are living in, and the one we must reconcile with.

At the moment our five best capital ships out of twelve* have just been damaged in combat. We know that some of the best British Ships are in these waters, and we would send out our Great Era ships as if they were equals?

While I have several visions on attacking the British pacific fleets. They require us to formulate a long term strategy to chose the most effective method in the short term.

Please read the paper on our strategic options.

*discounting CVLs

Sinking ships will do us no good if we end up with pyrrhic victories on our hands.
This is where you fail to ackowledge what I intend to do. Damage the enemy, preserve our forces. I've written that over and over again. Why it doesn't get through to you is beyond me.

Therefore we must stack the odds in our favour, and this means not engaging unless we have design to, or needs must.
Again, this is exactly what I plan to do. Look at the OOB for the operation scheduled. It's consisting of the majority of our ships, a good deal of our air assets and more than 30 infantry brigades, marines and regulars. We just can't use more because of lack of infantry reserves and because of the logisitical situation.

The more battles we fight, the more likely we are to loose more ships.
The ships will be worthless if we lose the war. We have to use what we have at our disposal for our own ends. Again, look at the Great War. Germany arguably had a sizable fleet, large enough to stand and fight when approached by the full might of the British fleet in 1916. Yet, because of fear, because they did want to use their fleet diplomatically, they faultered after that battle and didn't dare to use their ships that agressive again for the remainder of the war. What remained in the aftermath was the mass self sinking of the German vessels to prevent them falling into enemy hands. I do not intend to let it come that far. We have to fight, we have to preserve what we have, but ultimately there is more at stake than the fleet. We are fighting for the Empire of Japan to survive this war we did not ask for and to come out of it stronger than before.

We must also consider that the more threatening we are in the short term to their production ministers, the more they will prioritise shipbuilding leaving us in the future facing more of the most up-to-date ships.
The USA for their part already did that. We know that the USA do have a massive fleet, rebuilt from scratch after their disasterous '41 campaign. We also know that with the entry into the Allied faction, the USA has to fight in Europe, too. Our enemies are bound to invest heavily in that theatre, simply because Europe is much nearer to the British home Isles than we are. For the British, we are a secondary threat, the primary being Germany, with the Stalinist USSR a very close second. They do not want nor can they allow either of these powers to rule continental Europe. This does fit into my strategy of naval attrition quite well. We need to manage to be a thorn in their side, forcing them to divert resources from their primary area of operations, for this is our only hope to force them to acknowledge our supreme rule in Asia.

While we don't stand with him, his right to self-determination is much the same as ours, and the British know that our ideology is sparking nationalism. Therefore one might assume that they are looking for a short war to try and 'put us down' before India or other colonial areas get too much idea of their own independence.
The British can't do that. Just as in the Great War, the majority of their fleet has to remain home to protect their home islands. What they can send here are smaller groups. Powerful, but nothing like enough to face down our combined fleet. As long as they fight in Europe, they can not divert the majority of their ships against us, thus we need to take advantage of this limitation of theirs. At one point, with their losses mounting, their forces will be spread out through the world, depending on fewer and fewer Royal Navy ships to keep lines of supply and communication open. That will be the time where the various nationalist groups can rise and see their demands being followed through.

We know that some of the best British Ships are in these waters, and we would send out our Great Era ships as if they were equals?
You know, the British too have mostly WWI era capitals. Few modern units are afloat these days.

Yet again, I do not plan to overextend ourselves. Singapore may be taken, as well as Java and Sumatra. We will advance slowly and we will allow withdrawls if neccessary. After these conquests, new plans can be made, but I would agree that we should hold a perimeter we can defend instead of attacking all the time.

China:

I am surprised that the Administration thought we were doing something in Northern China all this time... I'd like to be informed next time if we are wasting our resources in a futile actions such as this, when we have greater battles to be fought elsewhere. Until the Republic of China falls the People's Republic of China remains out of our grasp and all we can do is to defend what we have in the North, before we'll be able to concentrate enough forces to attack the Communists.

I must protest against General Surt's suggestion to send troops to Army Group Center. Our logistic situation in Central China is still unclear at best and only recently our units there can maintain some level of supply to fight with maximum capabilities. Sending a few divisions there can overload our supply network once more and case problem along the entire front, making overall situation much worse. My suggestion for the Army Group Center is to dig in and defend. They will relay on their railroads and progress frontier along with it. Because terrain in Central China is harsh that's necessity.

Therefore any additional units are to be transferred to the South, to bolster the attack against the Chinese lines. With some fortune we can break deep enough to threaten the enemy supply lines, cutting them down and forcing the enemy to divert some of their forces to stop attacking strike force of the Army Group South, weakening their frontline as a whole due to lack of supplies, allowing Army Group South and Center to either attack or give them time to prepare for any Chinese offensive they might be planning. Then we can either strike down the enemy capital - creating informational chaos and striking the crippling blow against the morale of the Republic - or proceed to encircle and destroy weakened Chinese army that'll be trapped between three Army Groups and forced to surrender or be destroyed.

Malaya:

Transport wing should deliver supplies ASAP to the Marines that are cut off from the main invasion force. The air zone in Malaya is to be protected by 1 to 2 Heavy Fighters Wings just in case the British will try to intercept our machines. Sending 3 to 5 regular infantry units is advised. In case we don't have spare divisions the Army Group North seems to do well enough and given their tactical situation they won't need a many troops anytime soon as we aren't planning any military operation against the Communists. Borneo is infested with the British troops and should remain guarded until Kuala Lumpur isn't taken as Borneo serves as a vital link to Malaya, until we capture port Singapore.

I am surprised that the Administration thought we were doing something in Northern China all this time... I'd like to be informed next time if we are wasting our resources in a futile actions such as this, when we have greater battles to be fought elsewhere.
After we gained some ground in the North, General Tojo accepted the idea of attacking the communist mountain fortresses from all sides with heavy support of engineers and aircraft. However, the fortress is harder to capture than we thought and the local commander believes that it is futile to attack it now. All previous attempts to take it failed.

The Administration feels that there is no need to inform any of the Generals individually about such actions, as they are covered in reports. An attack on the communists was supported by General Surt, who thought that we should be able to destroy the communists with a determined attack and General Tojo believed that he was right. As can be seen in the report, the communists are surrounded, but they refuse to surrender.

In regard to production priorities, the Administration compiled a list of estimated cost and construction time required for various aircraft and ship classes:
Medium Bomber Wing - 20,48 IC 303 days
Patrol Bomber Wing - 17,92 IC 303 days
Light Bomber Wing - 8,92 IC 163 days
Light Fighter Wing - 9,49 IC 124 days
Heavy Fighter Wing - 12,16 IC 136 days
Carrier Aircraft Group - 8,91 IC 162 days

Destroyer Group - 7,74 IC 362 days
Light Cruiser - 6,49 IC 14 months
Fleet Carrier - 10,79 IC 26 months
Light Carrier - 6,48 IC 18 months
Battleship - 10,6 IC 29 months
Battlecruiser - 10,21 IC 24 months

Gen Holy,
can you elaborate where you intend the heavy fighters to be base for that kind of mission? Kunching will be quite crowded shortly, adding more air wings could create a situation where supply will be lacking. The navy puts more faith in the attempt to move a corps of regular infantry over there and use them to link the SNLF forces up with the ports(s).

Memorandum:

Can we please have some decision/comment on production strategy vis a vis Modernisation vs Shipbuilding?

I believe we are closer in our strategies than we might think. The only difference being that I intend to use the fleet more offensively and the area we might control in the end might be slightly bigger. Other than that, the two strategies go well together. It's mean a sizable investment, one which does have to pay off.

My suggestion is that we build a prefab testing building to deploy on our site. Thus building two rocket test sites in the current production budget once we have laid the groundwork on the first.

Can the Administration please comment on the estimated cost / time for two simulatneous runs of rocket test sites?

Thus in six months we shall be able to access radar guided ordinance since it looks like we are almost within making this theory a reality. This should certainly improve our position towards the end of this year, meaning we go into '44 with the very best in air ordinance.
Would this affect ship based AA as well?

Then for the latter half of a year three sites, giving access to Jet Engines for construction in early '44, and our first jet aircraft for the end of that year or early '45. That is if we wish to follow this investment program at these costs.
If we could do that, how much of an advantage would that give us against our enemies? May be the administration can tell us a bit about this? With all those US aircraft we encountered, we should have a good intelligence about their capabilities and recent devenlopments.

Regarding the ship production program, I am in two minds still. We do not have the industry to get everything we want, but we need a continuous trickle of new ships so we can replace losses or retire hopelessly outdated models. Still, I'd prefer the light priority program as it would enable us to put our efforts where we think we might gain a decisive advantage, ie rockets. I would still suggest to improve DD designs if we should find the research funds available for these. They'd be cheaper, hopefully faster to produce and more cost effective than light cruisers.

I doubt that the army has much need for a great number of new units as we are hitting the limit of the supply network in China on a regular basis. In fact, I again recommend to put more effort in the infrastructure of China. We need it now and post-war we'll need it as well. If we should ever fight the Soviets, we'd need a supply route in China as well, so the more the merrier as they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.