+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Policies

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossVictoria: Revolutions

Thumbs up Policies

Guys,

The General Leader code seems to be working. Won't know full implications until I play a lot more. Was playing Ming and got 2 leaders within 3 years + Monarh, so off to a good start. Admiral code seems to off. I have none yet. And that was a bit surprising.

I read somewhere that the event may fire off 1/100 (1%) of the time if I have mean time set to 100. That may still be too infrequent, but we will see. My next test will be 25.

Put policies back in. I love that stuff. Now, am I not sure, but I suspect the same event is firing off no matter which slider I move. Will do more testing, but I still love all the extras in the policies.txt

Also, does the game pick up latest code each time I change it, or do I have to start a new game each time to test?
    Once I get a good balance with Admirals and Generals, I will send it to you. I have used almost all of the original,
    but added a few more lines.

Good stuff guys!

PAW

Thumbs up Policies

Darken,

Thanks for pointing me to the 1.07 Policies.txt

This is one of my favorite things, and I just love it when you have to choose something
    and it may be good or bad based on that decision.

Vanilla sucks.

I hope you don't mind, I am going to have a play and put in a few more choices to liven it up.

These happen so infrequently, that I want something to happen 100% of the time just like in Vanilla, but do a good mix of yours and the ones in vanilla.

Terra Nova rocks!

PAW

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by PAW View Post

I read somewhere that the event may fire off 1/100 (1%) of the time if I have mean time set to 100. That may still be too infrequent, but we will see. My next test will be 25.
    I understand that all events have a chance of firing each month. That events will fire 95% of the time by mean time to happen times 4.35 and that events will fire 50% of the time by mean time to happen times 50%. Also the modifiers change the above math but I need a spread sheet to calculate that.

Also, does the game pick up latest code each time I change it, or do I have to start a new game each time to test?

Short answer is that you need to save and close the game for the code changes to take effect. You don't need to start a new game - you can just save, exit the game and then restart the game and load your save.

Long answer is that some code uses flags (code markers) and these will not clear on their own until you start a new game or make an event to clear the flag.

For example in the event below the event will only work if the tag BUR does not have the flag (marker) of inherit_BRB and when the event fires it sets this flag. So to get the event to fire again you would need to either start a new game or make an event to clear the flag.

country_event = {
    id = 335000
    trigger = {
    year = 1427
    NOT = { year = 1477 }
    exists = BRB
    tag = BUR
    NOT = { has_country_flag = inherit_BRB }
    }

mean_time_to_happen = { days = 1 }

title = "EVTNAME335000"# Inherit
    desc = "EVTDESC335000"# John IV of Brabrant as died and left us Brabrant!

option = {
    name = "EVTOPTA335000"# Great!!
    ai_chance = { factor = 100 }
    inherit = BRB
    set_country_flag = inherit_BRB
    }
    }

Going to test with this:

policies(new).txt

PAW

Quote Originally Posted by 17blue17 View Post
    Now Now

PAW, your major fan, likes the fun. So an event that says - the people accept your countries change in policy and deducts 1 coin for a party would not be the end of the world.

If you can have event pop up spam hitting the player for corruption then you can have one event on a slider change..........

LOL, thats one cheap party. did they have paper cups and fruit punch back then? well, yes i see your point but, corruption is much more important to be modeled directly where as the slider change events are already being inderectly modeled due to event modifiers and triggers which monitor slider positions, missions, even decisions, and the passive / constant effects of the slider positions themselves. the slider events for changes have always been reduntant. many things in vanilla are redundant.

Guys,

The General Leader code seems to be working. Won't know full implications until I play a lot more. Was playing Ming and got 2 leaders within 3 years + Monarh, so off to a good start. Admiral code seems to off. I have none yet. And that was a bit surprising.

Put policies back in. I love that stuff. Now, am I not sure, but I suspect the same event is firing off no matter which slider I move. Will do more testing, but I still love all the extras in the policies.txt

Once I get a good balance with Admirals and Generals, I will send it to you. I have used almost all of the original,
    but added a few more lines.

Good stuff guys!

PAW
    please keep track of all the changes you make if you can, but if not i can check the file when you are done. it might be best to make a changelog.

i think the game engine loads the events into memory before it even gets to the main menu, so any event changes or common folder changes also would not be used until you completely restart the game. I havent tested this but its my guess based on the log files and loading data.
    Shalom
    John F. Kennedy
    "For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day."

John 8:32
    "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    Martin Luther King
    "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is aproaching spiritual death."

thanks, keep up the good work. you can also upload any finalized patches that you want to to the TN ModDB.com site if you want. maybe some other people will want the same thing as you.
    Shalom
    John F. Kennedy
    "For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day."

Martin Luther King
    "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is aproaching spiritual death."

Darken.

No worries, I have changed Policies.txt, and then I made a change that I put into its own name, TN zPaw.txt

That is just to have some minor things, that I have not found and wanted to try.

I will keep track of all changes, and let you know what I really like. Most likely it will just be the policies, but have one below.

I was testing with Ming and noticed the Faction change stuff not there (or maybe you did it differently?), I tested and it in my TN zPaw.txt, but
    before i KEEp it there, how do you influence the factions in TN? In vanilla there is code I found in the China stuff.

PAW

Darken.

No worries, I have changed Policies.txt, and then I made a change that I put into its own name, TN zPaw.txt

That is just to have some minor things, that I have not found and wanted to try.

I will keep track of all changes, and let you know what I really like. Most likely it will just be the policies, but have one below.

I was testing with Ming and noticed the Faction change stuff not there (or maybe you did it differently?), I tested and it in my TN zPaw.txt, but
    before i KEEp it there, how do you influence the factions in TN? In vanilla there is code I found in the China stuff.

PAW
    Thanks
    Factions for Ming were done very poorly in vanilla so I changed it all to a close /neutral / open society type of thing Which reflects very well on the history of Ming how they went from dominating and exploring their known world to being closed into themselves. existing events already change the faction points depending on many factors. The Faction events were poorly done and many were redundant and already modeled in TN. You should maybe play test MIng for a few years if you want to understand. There is no specific MIng events, the code for Ming Factions has been added to some existing TN events.
    Shalom
    John F. Kennedy

Martin Luther King

Question

Guys,

Have my new policies in. Obviously I still have to add a few things.

I am using your 1.07 version plus mixing in some from vanilla.

Once I get the hang of this, I may add few of my own.

Question:
    Where do EVTNAME#### live?

I have found Event ID 19992 (Poor Policies) in TN State.txt So I can see all that you have done - and they all seem to be working.
    I have added in some new vanilla ones into new file, TN zPaw Policy changes.txt - Event ID 810, 811.
    But when I run game, it says 10% EVTNAME810
    I think this is just some Name description, as Event ID 810, and 811 are being picked up.

Where can I find EVTNAME & EVTDESC files?

PAW

Darken,

Perfect. I will do just that.

I have moved my questions on how to fix my policies to its own thread.

PAW

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Guys,

Have my new policies in. Obviously I still have to add a few things.

I am using your 1.07 version plus mixing in some from vanilla.

Once I get the hang of this, I may add few of my own.

Question:
    Where do EVTNAME#### live?

I have found Event ID 19992 (Poor Policies) in TN State.txt So I can see all that you have done - and they all seem to be working.
    I have added in some new vanilla ones into new file, TN zPaw Policy changes.txt - Event ID 810, 811.
    But when I run game, it says 10% EVTNAME810
    I think this is just some Name description, as Event ID 810, and 811 are being picked up.

Where can I find EVTNAME & EVTDESC files?

PAW
    They have to be saved in csv files not text files. They would be in the localization directory - not sure what file.

Quote Originally Posted by 17blue17 View Post
    They have to be saved in csv files not text files. They would be in the localization directory - not sure what file.
    the event texts are in the Terra Nova\localisation\TN Events.csv file . some events in TN mod are modified vanilla events, and some of them still have the same localisation ID's but i think a few modified vanilla events have the TN ID number system of xx900-xx999.

Thx!

So far I have changed:
    policies.txt (from 1.07 and vanilla)
    TN Leader.txt (new admiral and general mean time and more code)
    TN zPaw Policies.txt (new file with my policies added to one from 1.07)

If the TN Events.csv changes work, that will be it. I will then test the Policies.
    If all goes well, that will pretty much be the extent of my fixes.

I will need to play a bunch to make sure Leader fixes are good as this can only be determined
    by playing.

If all goes okay, then we can go over what you think.
    Leaders I think is a must, the policies could be a optional.

PAW
    Last edited by PAW; 26-09-2011 at 01:26.

Thx!

So far I have changed:
    policies.txt (from 1.07 and vanilla)
    TN Leader.txt (new admiral and general mean time and more code)
    TN zPaw Policies.txt (new file with my policies added to one from 1.07)

If the TN Events.csv changes work, that will be it. I will then test the Policies.
    If all goes well, that will pretty much be the extent of my fixes.

I will need to play a bunch to make sure Leader fixes are good as this can only be determined
    by playing.

If all goes okay, then we can go over what you think.
    Leaders I think is a must, the policies could be a optional.

PAW
    thanks . try to keep track of how often you are without a leader, how often with just one, with just 2, etc. try to keep track of things like at war or at peace, so you can explain to me how the testing went. wartime should bring at least twice as many leaders than while at peace IMO. nations with full land slider should gain twice as many generals than a neutral or naval slider, and naval slider twice as many admirals...etc

Exclamation

Darken,

Okay, I think I got the Innovative working.

The percentages I believe were always working.

To prove this I looked over the code, then decided to remove
    the meantime on the Scientific Revolution items.

That way they would fire off, no possible wait.

This still kept giving me same items, but every once in awhile on of my new ones popped in.

Looked at code again. Noticed they all seem to use the same EVTNAME & EVTDESC
    instead of their unique numbers as I expected.

So, my questions are these:
    1) Are those TN Tech.txt items (27900 series) used anywhere else besides sliders?

2) If so, maybe it is best I try to have one set for slider to fire automatically, and another set that fires off using meantime.

3) If I give all the 27900 series unique EVTNAME & EVTDESC I believe all will work as supposed too.

PAW

Darken,

Okay, I think I got the Innovative working.

The percentages I believe were always working.

To prove this I looked over the code, then decided to remove
    the meantime on the Scientific Revolution items.

That way they would fire off, no possible wait.

This still kept giving me same items, but every once in awhile on of my new ones popped in.

Looked at code again. Noticed they all seem to use the same EVTNAME & EVTDESC
    instead of their unique numbers as I expected.

So, my questions are these:
    1) Are those TN Tech.txt items (27900 series) used anywhere else besides sliders?

2) If so, maybe it is best I try to have one set for slider to fire automatically, and another set that fires off using meantime.

3) If I give all the 27900 series unique EVTNAME & EVTDESC I believe all will work as supposed too.

PAW
    1) yes, they are events that can fire in the game randomly.

2) i dont understand what the fix was. are you saying that the only way to fix this is to have events that are triggered only and without MTTH?

3) its possible but i dont think the localalisation tags EVTNAME & EVTDESC would have anything to do with the game code for slider changes.

keep up the good work
    Shalom
    John F. Kennedy

Martin Luther King

+ Reply to Thread