• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's a pity, as I'm well below 30 ;). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most users were older than me.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm slowly gathering data from the screenshots for the epilogue. Here is a small sneak peak:

:D

Last edited:
Actually, this is the number of capital ships and it includes both losses and production. You can see what a monster the USA became and intensive battles in the Pacific caused them to produce more and more ships. Despite all their losses, we've never really had more capital ships than they did, except for a short period in 1941 after several disastrous battles which is not included in the graph. By January 1944 they had almost twice as many capital ships as we did. This probably puts a new perspective on the strategic position of Japan and should give you a hint what you might have encountered in 1944-1945. More info will be included in the epilogue.

Well, come to that, they started out with more capitals than us and I fully expected to beat the US somewhere at Wake or Midway during the next chapter. More capitals didn't turn into a decisive advantage earlier, when all of a sudden the Royal Navy became involved.

Well, come to that, they started out with more capitals than us and I fully expected to beat the US somewhere at Wake or Midway during the next chapter.
We almost had parity in Aug 1941 before the battle of Saipan etc. The USN was the weakest during Aug-Nov 1941.

More capitals didn't turn into a decisive advantage earlier, when all of a sudden the Royal Navy became involved.
True, but most of the RN was outdated, while the USA built new ships. I also planned to do sth special with the AI at Wake and Midway, i.e. ensure that they use sensible fleets there, just as I did during their attack on Hawaii... In my tests the results of the battles at Wake/Midway varied greatly even without my intervention. I will elaborate on all this in the epilogue.

EDIT: Here is an another sneak peak. Number of brigades of the nationalists and all warlords (except the communists) we were at war with at a given date:

"Regulars" include all other brigades besides GARs and MILs, i.e. INFs, CAVs, ARTs etc.

Last edited:
wow! That last graph showing Chinese brigades numbers really shows well how effective your offensive was in '43-'44. At least 300 brigades of regulars lost (not even counting the Militia). That's impressive. This is what I love about graphs...really no better way to display certain kinds of information.

Yeah, the collapse of the nationalists and Chinese losses in 1943-1944 basically reduced their army to militia rabble, while in 1940-1942 they were steadily increasing the number of regulars. On the other hand, the sheer size of the militia rabble was enough to delay us for some time in Northern China, because of terrain and infra restrictions. Oh, and let's not forget that communists are not included here.

So the XSM didn't inherit any regular infantry from the nationalists, that is a surprise.

So we had nearly as many brigade as the Chinese in total, though we never used more than around 75% against them?

So we had nearly as many brigade as the Chinese in total, though we never used more than around 75% against them?
After mid-1940 - pretty much, yeah, if we don't include the communists. However, the number of regulars in the Chinese armies was increasing until the end of 1943. Also, about 30% of our brigades were non-frontline ones, i.e. GARs and MPs, while the Chinese had few GARs... and we've never used our full strength against them, as you said yourself. Therefore, in practice they had local numerical superiority most of the time.