• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's never a good thing when the US runs out of light carrier names. As a heads up, the US has 14 CVL names and they don't start the game with any CVLs... Since I see "7th CVL", they have or had at least 21 CVLs. I don't recall if you sank any CVLs, so if not then there are at least 21 roaming around. One thing to remember is that between 1941 and 1945, the US out-produced the rest of the world's combined naval production from 1936 to 1945!. The entire RN from 1918 to 1945 was less than the total tonnage of US carriers built in 4 years and the IJN's total new tonnage was less than the US destroyers'. The US historically had 50% more fleet carriers than the rest of the world combined. You may have wiped the floor with the "old" USN ships, but they can easily build at least 4 times as many ships as Japan can, and those ships will likely be state-of-the-art.

I'd be more worried about China though. There's a large distance between the US and Hawaii, but China is next door. Losing in China risks Japan losing the IJA as well as Korea and Manchukuo.

One thing that helped me in my PRC AAR was to go slowly and only attack when my org was high. Japan has made rapid progress here and as a result the IJA's organization hasn't had a chance to fully recover. It might be best to go on the defensive for a while and perform a massive counter-attack like what China just pulled off. You may lose Guangxi, but if you do then that means you won't have to share territory with it :)

Yeah, well, the USA is only researching capital ship techs and building caps because I told them to do it. Otherwise, the US AI just keeps building screens in HPP SF and their capital ship techs are hopelessly outdated. They also don't change build prioritises, so if they lose many ships in SF, then they won't use a bigger % of their IC for shipbuilding. In my version they do.

Anyway, you are right that that the USA outproduced other countries. Their shipbuilding capabilities were immense IRL.

BTW the Tech AI in the SF version of the mod in bad in general. I hope that it is better in FTM.

I'm surprised by the responses in here re China and USA, when I first read the update I felt the real threat was more fundamental and sinister. Your stockpiles are very small for a 220 ICs economy running those deficits. In the Dai Nippon game I started off industralising with 90k of each mineral to 300 ICs. You guys have been running 200-220 ICs since that ministerial appointment (I was surprised by the size of your economy and looked back to try and find the source).

Very interesting to see the Chinese fight back in the south, they don't seem to have as many militia units as you'd expect.

There is the difference between the event itself and its interpretation :). Some players are just bolder than other ones ;).

Our resource situation is indeed a concern, but we will feel the real effects of this in 1943, not in 1942, unless we decide to take preventive measures.

1944-1945 will be hell no matter how you look at it... but then, that's exactly what I wanted to achieve :D.

Surely you meant 16 CVLs and 1 CV? ;) Apparently Admiral Baltasar is not extremely worried about them.
EDIT: I'm wondering whether it would be prudent to adopt a defensive stance in the South, consolidate our position, let our divs regain ORG and then strike with our full might.

Are we advancing with 'Attacking Stance' or 'Defensive stance'? if we're on attacking stance, might be worth dropping to defensive, if on defensive go for withdraw stance for about a week and a half, then go for defensive until we get a smattering of 'breakthroughs' then immidiately drop into blizkreig. I've found that technique on macro control allows you to find the weak spots in the line.

I was looking at the picture of the port with the sub I think before...

Finished catching up, fascinating stuff. Progress on all fronts for all factions is a lot slower than I'm used to, which just makes it the more tense to watch!

Finished catching up, fascinating stuff. Progress on all fronts for all factions is a lot slower than I'm used to, which just makes it the more tense to watch!
Thanks :). Yes, things are usually more interesting when they are not always going according to plan.

--------

BTW people, I don't know whether you are aware of the fact that AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 are going on. Go and vote for your favourite AARs!

I agree with Cybvep that the HPP research and build could be improved, in my test game I haven't seen the US fleet after I sunk the old+a few new ships and took Hawaii.
Germany insist on researching 7 years ahead and the research is generally not optimized enough in the late game. Same for the build, some choices are dubious to say the least :(

But still its the its the best mod I've tried :)
When you get further with the new version i'll try that out too.

Yeah, fixing AI research manually can become tedious... The Production AI is better, although it could be greatly optimised naval-wise if the AI took the technological level of ships into account. If it has old techs, then it might be prudent to decrease ship production and wait for more modern ones. This is especially important in case of capital ships that are built during peace-time, when the AI has enough time to research whatever it wants.

Also, the AI should really, REALLY alter its production priorities if its navy suffered big losses. This is mighty important for nations like Japan, the UK or the USA, which can become helpless without a proper navy.

Nice AAR guys, just finished reading the thread... and it looks like the Chinese are holding their own...

...I'm sure our glorious Japanese Empire will prevail though :D

I have some bad news, though. Unfortunately, I will be unavailable for almost two weeks, i.e. I will have access to the Internet, but not to the computer with HOI3 :(. That means no updates for quite some time, but there is little that can be done about this. I hoped that I would be able to write one update, but that turned out to be impossible.

The good thing is that if you have some stuff which you need to sort out in RL or sth, then now you will have a bit more time for them :).

Would it be possible to come up with a relative exact plaaning for the near future? How long would it take to be able to start building mountaineers if we started right now? How many of these techs can be researched in parallel?

Is there something else we can do to support the army in China? Do we need more units or units which can hit harder? Do we have sufficient leaders for all units and HQs?

I believe that the navy's plan is as good as we can get, except that 4th fleet should be earmarked to return to Hawaii if the need arises.

@ Cybvep, where are the three marine divisions we released for the army currently? I'd like to keep them intact, though I expect them to be involved in heavy fighting, since they are triangular divisions.

Would it be possible to come up with a relative exact plaaning for the near future? How long would it take to be able to start building mountaineers if we started right now? How many of these techs can be researched in parallel?
Mountain Infantry tech will be finished on 3rd of May. After that, we can start the production of MTNs. Although General Tojo did not originally believe that they would come soon enough to change the outcome of war in China, recent development make the situation a bit different.

After Mountain Infantry is researched, the techs that affect MTNs that we are not currently researching include Light Artillery Miniaturisation and Mountain Warfare Equipment. The first one is a one-time tech.

Is there something else we can do to support the army in China? Do we need more units or units which can hit harder? Do we have sufficient leaders for all units and HQs?
I cannot answer the first two questions - it's for the IJA to decide. As for your third question, we will run out of leaders very, very soon, because we have almost no spare ones, but all our INFs and HQs have leaders.

where are the three marine divisions we released for the army currently? I'd like to keep them intact, though I expect them to be involved in heavy fighting, since they are triangular divisions.
I don't have access to the save game currently, but I remember that we haven't managed to transport MARs to China yet, so they are probably on Hawaii.

Progress is more than just a little disappointing. The National Chinese forces seem to have endless supplies and manpower and their IC seems to be hidden off-world.