• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's interesting.

I think now Baltersar has pointed it out to me, Heavy Crusiers being lost more frequently is becoming a trend. Noting back to other naval games I've played with HPP mod, this also appears be the case. I'm not sure about Vanilla, but I could always do some test games with that.

One would have expected heavy crusiers to be a bit better than light crusiers, but it's looking like in HPP they are the total opposite! costing more and overall worse.

I'll take that in mind for naval minors when I play them (since previously I'd use CA for green water capitals)

Stat-wise they are certainly not worse, although they aren't always cost-effective. They are bulkier and pack a bigger punch, but they are also less manoeuvrable, so they have a greater chance of getting hit (lower sea defence).

CA and BC are sunk in atrocious amounts due to them thinking they can engage BB's and get away with it. CL and DD know they should keep their distance so are only hit on the defensive.

I tried making a "perfect" Task force, 2 CV + 2 BC + 4 CL, thinking the CV's soften the enemy up and then the BC go for the kill ... wrong, my fine BC's all sank when engaging fleets with BB's.

One would have expected heavy crusiers to be a bit better than light crusiers, but it's looking like in HPP they are the total opposite! costing more and overall worse.

Funny you say that, because historically the UK leadership believed exactly what this sentence describes. The only reason the UK built CAs in the first place was because "everyone else was". The Admiralty felt that CLs were cheaper and better than CAs for the roles both ships were meant to fill, but as a matter of prestige since the other naval powers were building CAs the RN couldn't be left behind. There's a reason why no CA was built by any of the naval powers after 1932, with the only exceptions being the nations not part of the naval treaties (they didn't figure out that CAs are a waste of resources) or the US, who could afford to build whatever it wanted in any quantity it chose to build. The IJN was unique in that an entire class of cruisers were designed to be CAs, but were built to be CLs to comply with treaty limitations, with the intention to upgrade the main guns as soon as a war broke out. Indeed, the intended main guns were built while the Mogami's themselves were being built so the guns would be ready when the ships were to be up-gunned after Japan either left the treaties or went to war. See my naval info thread for more into.

CA and BC are sunk in atrocious amounts due to them thinking they can engage BB's and get away with it.
CAs are screens, so they behave like screening ships, not capitals. They are just big cruisers. BCs can engage BBs - they did just that in our game and sank many ships.

Is there something else we can do right now? I don't want to push you, I just want to contribute if I can.

CAs are screens, so they behave like screening ships, not capitals. They are just big cruisers. BCs can engage BBs - they did just that in our game and sank many ships.

BC's just don't make it, I've tried the last 3 games to keep them alive, they always die first and rarely take anyone with them, so it must be a fluke in our game that they did get the killing shot but they died anyway.

Is there something else we can do right now? I don't want to push you, I just want to contribute if I can.
It's up to you how much you want to change the previous plans etc. However, I'm afraid that the next update will have to wait no matter what, since I will be away from the computer from 6th to 11th of April.

Last edited:
Relax, the last one was posted sth like 2 days ago ;).

I would really like to post another update before 6th of April, but I don't know whether it will be possible, so no promises.

BTW I think that it would be wise to think about our long-term goals, esp. in regard to our resource situation.

Last edited:
BTW I think that it would be wise to think about our long-term goals, esp. in regard to our resource situation.

Wouldn't that be the situation where Gen Cybvep should come around the corner, arguing how awesome a push to the south would be?

Anyway, I think Gensui was looking into this. But since we have immediate things to look into, a longer term goal can be outlined later on.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be the situation where Gen Cybvep should come around the corner, arguing how awesome a push to the south would be?

Anyway, I think Gensui was looking into this. But since we have immediate things to look into, a longer term goal can be outlined later on.
It's just a thought =>. I'm more interested in timetables, though. That way we will know what we can expect technologically and economically-wise and we should be able to create realistic goals. Of course, most plans don't survive the contact with the enemy, but it's still better to have a plan than not to have one, I guess ;).

Last edited:
Very interesting AAR so far. I'm working to try and catch up but the gameplay thread is quite long and my time quite short, so I may be awhile... If you're still lacking a player by then (according to your sig) perhaps I can see what I can do, if time permits.