• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
O

OneiricRose

scaled.php

The Red Lion Returns - An Alternate Soviet AAR

Version: Beta 1.02 something :p - DH Full - No Mods (but quite a number of edited things)
Difficulty - Normal/Agressive
No tech team take over or full IC take over

Genre: Alt-History
Style: Story focused, I will actively edit things to create a consistent story, but what I will edit may vary depending on what the game does. Definitely not a gameplay AAR, I may edit things both in "my favor" or that of my adversaries.

Notes: I will update when I can and feel motivated to do so, but I will try to do it at least twice a week (preferably more). Asking for news or updates is okay but don't demand them. Any kind of comment is welcome (except offensive ones). If you feel offended by a mere AAR then don't read it.

Finally...yes I am back to AARLand! lol :laugh:

Small preview to leave you AAReaders hungry for more...

Preview:

Unknown man: Now that you are safe comrade and the plot revealed we can finally act...it is time for Operation Red Lion. We must save the revolution from its greatest enemy, the one who threatens to destroy us from within.

Other man: Operation Red Lion?

Unknown man: Yes, Trotsky must return...

Last edited by a moderator:
GO Trotsky! Will you go with the permanent revolution and give USSR core on all the world?

zimmerwald1915 - I felt no need to hide it, would be obvious from the first chapter, the how and what happens after matters more...plus it should make some people pay attention :)

General_Hoth - Permanent revolution yes but no cores on the world I am afraid :laugh: . You can expect to see a far more active and confrontational SU however.

So, real intervention in Spain and China? Maybe in South America too? Or just go trashing germany early?

I vote for Québec :)

scaled.php

Chapter I
December 1, 1934

Mikhail walked slowly but as much as he tried to hide how nervous he was he could not completely dismiss his fears. Everyone could be a spy, the smiling child playing near the door of the house to the right. The old man to the left walking and whistling. Or perhaps that girl who passed by him running.

The feeling of insecurity, the paranoia of being watched was more than reasonable however. Stalin was EVERYWHERE. Conspirators in supposedly secure places were on the next day denounced and banned from the party. Trostky had fled, Kamenev, Zinoviev and Bukharin capitulated, powerless to resist now.

They had once though of Stalin as the moderate and the diplomatic one, who would unite all tendencies in a peaceful way, all except Trotsky and the late Lenin who saw through his act.

When the others moved against him it was too late, the last to break the spell was the enthusiastic and brilliant but often naive Bukharin. Around the land the people were beggining to feel the effects of Stalin's rise, industry boomed but in numbers only, factories were horrid places with terrible work conditions. The new machines were often produced in haste and rarely worked well. Grains were planted in the new forced collective farms, and the bureaucracy demanded 100% of the production in exchange for nothing from the peasants.

Trapped, cornered, powerless and without allies the other leaders of the party gave in, but Stalin would stop at nothing but their deaths. All he needed was an excuse, a "proof" of their treachery, and then all power would be his...

Mikhail knew what the trigger would be, an agent in the NKVD had proved to be more humane than his fellows and contacted Tukhachevsky in secret. He did not reveal his name and it could well be a trap but he warned the soviet marshal of a plot to end the life of Sergei Kirov.

Kirov was a dedicated stalinist who had recently come to realise the horrors of the new rule and openly denounced the one who he once followed. One attempt on his life had already been made and the would-be assassin was simply released by the soviet security. The agent warned Mikail that a second attempt would take place NOW.

Mikhail looked at the building, the Smolny Institute. He felt a cold sensation running down his spine. The guards were nowhere to be seem, he entered the place unopposed and climbed the stairs. Third floor said the contact, third floor.

Once he reached it his heart started pounding on his chest furiously. The anxiety surpassed that of any battle he ever participated in. War was his place, he knew it well, it was the games of stealth, intrigue and murder that he felt uneasy with.

He reached a hallway, in the distance he saw Kirov coming from a corridor, and Nikolaev the murderer waiting on the corner. His heart skipped a beat but he knew he could not hesitate.

That one minute lasted for an eternity, as Kirov approached the hall the assassin raised his hand to kill him. Unaware of the presence of anyone else he did not see the marshal with his pistol in hand aiming for his arm. As quickly as he could Tukhachevsky shot. And the world stopped for brief a moment as if in preparation for the events to come...

(OOC: note, this is like an intro, future updates will include game screenies :laugh: )

Nice start, will be waiting for more. I wonder how different will WW2 with Trotsky has head of the USSR

slenin.jpg

Smolny Institute, the place where the revolution started, and now the place where it almost ended...

Chapter II - Operation Red Lion

The next few hours were a rush of events. Tukhachevsky and Kirov forced Nikolaev to follow them and they left in a hurry to avoid authorities or worse the NKVD. They drove for some kilometers and stopped in a shack in some woods near Veliky Novgorod.

Tukhachevsky :Now that you are safe comrade and the plot revealed we can finally act...it is time for Operation Red Lion. We must save the revolution from its greatest enemy, the one who threatens to destroy us from within.

Kirov: Operation Red Lion?

Tukhachevsky: Yes, Trotsky must return...
Segei's face became thrice as pale as he heard that name

Kirov: ARE YOU INSANE?! Stalin already tried to kill me twice now, if he ever hears of this...

Tukhachevsky: He won't, and what if he hears? Give him one more year and we are going to die either way. An anynomous NKVD agent contacted me about the plan to try to assassinate you again. I...we have hesitated for too long, our loyalty to the party refrained us for too long. We must understand that Stalin is not one of us, he uses the party for his own benefit and will eventually lead to our doom.

Nikolaev: HE WILL FIND ME! AND YOU! BOTH...*Mikail silenced the man by giving a strong punch that dropped him to the floor*

Tukhachevsky: Quiet! I do not want to hear a single word for you at this moment. We shall treat you wound and keep you alive only because you are of use as a witness.

Kirov: *looked to his would be murderer with disgust before saying* And how in hell will we bring Trostky back ? And most important, what then? It is not like he has an army...

Tukhachevsky: I have an army, the best in the world.

Kirov: You have already planned this haven't you? Were are the men? I doubt you the support of the other marshals they...

Tukhachevsky: They are still enthraled yes. But one marshal must suffice, I have gathered the troops that I trust most and only those. They are "drilling" near Moscow. But once I return we will storm the city. Stalin expects no such thing even with his paranoid delusions.

Kirov: Very well, I believe this is the only way...my heart is divided but my mind is clear. To think I once followed Comrade Stalin...and now this. But worry not, my mind is clear. Now...what about the accusations against Trotsky?

Tukhachevsky: As false as your murder would have been. Stalin intended to blame him I believe. We shall see...

They bandaged Nikolaev and hurried towards the capital where Mikail's men awaited "training". He approached them, they were extremely nervous, grim and fearful. He kept walking with Kirov by his side while his men seized the murderer.
Finally he turned around and spoke in a loud and strong voice:

"Soldiers! My comrades in arms and spirit! I call you here for a dark task. What I ask of you today is a monstrous test of your trust in me. I know many of you still have doubts, but look here. Comrade Kirov has barely survived his second assassination attempt. Attempts made by the foul traitor of our Revolution. You remember Comrade Trotsky don't you? Where is him? Where is the hero that lead us in the war? EXILED!."

"There!" *he points to Moscow*
"There we will find our proof of Comrade Stalin's treachery! This I swear to you men! And if you still have doubts then at least belive this one promise of mine! If we find no evidence of his betrayal, if I was mistaken or lied to you. Then I order you to shoot me! Now onwards comrades for the revolution!"

The men cheered loudly, but some remained silent. Still all of them moved. They weren't many but they would suffice. Most of the guards didn't react fast enough when the attack happened and found themselves surroundered and forced to surrender. The Kremlin was the ultimate goal however. Tukhachevsky's orders has been VERY clear, they were to seize the place and avoid killing anyone inside. Stalin was surrounded in his room and arrested. It had worked...

kremlin.jpg

It was then that amidst the comotion Kirov saw a man he recognised. He blinked several times but he was still there and coming towards him.

Trotsky:"Comrade Kirov, its a pleasure to see you again...and to be back. Though I can't thank you or any of the others except Tukhachevsky for this. But I don't blame you, you all acted out of loyalty to the party, only that it was in the wrong way.

Kirov: But how? How did you arrive so fast?

Trotsky: Comrade Tukhachevsky had "smuggled" me in two weeks ago.

Kirov thought for a moment and said: But then the NKVD agent warned him quite some time ago...no matter, I believe you will wish to speak with me now in a more private place, no?

Trotsky: Indeed comrade, we have much to say before the Party Congress that will be called...and by party Congress I mean the true party, not Stalin's bureaucratic lackeys. They will be all called back, and we shall vote and decide the new government as well as conduct Stalin's trial. I think we have had enough of Bonapartism, it is time to return to soviet democracy.

(OOC the game will start on the next update)

Soulstrider: Thanks, I hope you like it, it will be very different.
Deus Eversor: I won't, I abandoned many AARs but this one I won't abandon :p It is just too epic.
Red Cesar: Thank for the interest, I hope I won't disappoint :rolleyes:

To all readers, the last update was slightly rushed so it ins't as deep or well written as I would have liked but it was necessary to move on faster without making a book out of the introduction. :sleep:

I'm definitivly suscribed!

Subscribified!

sovietea.png

Chapter III: The Union Reborn

"The revolution is back on its way. The corruption that took place will forever serve as a reminder for the workers to be careful and remain vigilant. But do not fool yourselves, we have a hourglass over our heads. Revolution in one country is impossible, we must expand or we are doomed to fail once more."
Leon Trotsky, January 1935 on the Extraordinary Party Congress.

The first act taken after Operation Red Lion was to call for a Congress of the Communist Party. There the confused and chaotic mix of supporters and the opposition to the act merged into one big mess. Shouts were heard from all directions, each accusing the other of being counter-revolutionaries. That is until Trotsky arrived on the scene followed by Kirov and Tukhachevsky.

"Comrades, I know many of you vilify me and the others involved for our involvement in this foul but necessary action." Chaos spread again for a moment before he could resume his speech.

"We bring you not only words, for those any liar can bring you. What we bring to you is proof, facts, reality, undeniable and authentic. Loyalty to the party blinded many of us to these issues for too long. Now Comrade Kirov will do us the honor of presenting the evidence of the need to depose our previous government."

Silence was absolute as Kirov asked some men to bring him the evidence that he would ready for the party.

And it took many, many hours for the charismatic young boy to finish reading all of it. The evidence ranged from NKVD plots to make his assassination happen to the smear campaigns promoted against major party members. From text proof of forced confessions used by Stalin to destroy his enemies to accounts of the said comrades. From the matter of production quality to the human cost of the over acelerated and primitive industrial and rural production.

Stalinist supporters became remarcably silent and embarrassed as the hours passed and little to no protesting voices could be heard after a time. The only sounds that became common were the repeated expressions of shock and horror. And when Kirov was finally done no one knew what to say.

What followed was a wave of new elections both for the party and for the Soviet Union. Copies of the evidencies where sent all across the republics. Also the trial of Stalin and a number of his supporters took place, where their failure to refute their own documents proving their guilty led to their executions. Stalinists that weren't directly implicated in any sort of autocratic behaviour were forgiven but removed from their positions.

Weeks passed with massive debates as the old giants of the party reemerged. But Trotsky now had a very clear advantage and it was obvious to anyone that with the recent events the massive majority of the party defected to him. So he approached the other leaders of the party and offered them an alliance, that would last at least for this first government.

And the new face of the SU emerged. Trotsky was elected Premier of the USSR. Ivan N.Smirnov became General Secretary of the Communist party. Bukharin with the support of Trotsky became Chairman of the Central Executive Committee of the Congress of Soviets (HoS). And soon each assumed their posts.

aar1e.png

(OOC: Those are the in game positions but there others not represented in the game, so don't think Smirnov, Rykov, Kamenev, Zinoviev and others aren't in)

that's great. How will you deal with the permanent revolution concept.