• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheKenwyne

Sergeant
86 Badges
Mar 16, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
I'm 30 years in to a game as the Nanbu and have two Kuni fully under my control and another well on the way. However, my conquests have been stymied due to the fact that I'm out of male characters to act as my masters - I have gone the past 5 years without a master of ceremonies due to this. My sons are both kokujin so they cannot be used, and there doesn't appear to be any other way of recruiting more characters for my court. Ideas? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? Is this something PI needs to consider patching?

I do support your post. It does seem rather silly that in my entire region - which can raise more than 10,000 levies in times of trouble - I cannot find a single man to build an Inn, for instance. There should be an endless supply of people who are, perhaps, 'not very good' but somewhat competent for the simpler tasks.

I'd personally love to have the ability to recruit clans without territory into my faction to serve as kokujin, so I can use my sons and other Nanbu cronies as Masters - but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that either. I've kicked the crud out of many a faction and reduced their army to nothingness and they refuse to accept my subjugation demands. My only answer is to have AS MANY SONS AS POSSIBLE LOL and hope a few of them are good enough at things to become Masters and that they don't become pretenders - that's why I've tried to keep the ol' offspring count down - under the vague hope that less potential heirs = less potential pretenders. Going well so far...

You marry your masters to someone. Then they can have kids.

I'd personally love to have the ability to recruit clans without territory into my faction to serve as kokujin, so I can use my sons and other Nanbu cronies as Masters - but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that either. I've kicked the crud out of many a faction and reduced their army to nothingness and they refuse to accept my subjugation demands. My only answer is to have AS MANY SONS AS POSSIBLE LOL and hope a few of them are good enough at things to become Masters and that they don't become pretenders - that's why I've tried to keep the ol' offspring count down - under the vague hope that less potential heirs = less potential pretenders. Going well so far...

You can, its called hiring Ronin. You can then give land to their leader or appoint him a master. I agree with you on the AI stubbornness to accept subjugation as a besieged OPM.

You marry your masters to someone. Then they can have kids.

You can, its called hiring Ronin. You can then give land to their leader or appoint him a master. I agree with you on the AI stubbornness to accept subjugation as a besieged OPM.

Ah, I thought Ronin were just mercenary retinue (as that's where the hire screen is). Thanks for the tips, but don't you have to marry your masters into your direct family? At work atm so I can't check but I don't recall there being marriage options for characters not of your direct line. And high-five on the similarly spelt celtic name!

I have had the same problem as the Nanbu, how I managed to add several bodies to my court was a mix of both hiring Ronin and marrying into one or two families (secondary wives) of families who looked like they were going to be wiped out in the not too distant future. If your relations are good enough, and your diplomacy high enough, once they lose all their lands any survivors will migrate over to join your court. They may not be as reliable as your true flesh and blood, but as long as you don't give them land, only your immediate family, you should be relatively safe against internal plots.

You really have to stay on top of the marriages. Make sure to marry off your son's while they are still young (it is risky if you marry promise a marriage to a spouse who is not yet of age because you can't see their adult stat values and they get half of their first wife's stats). Still, sometimes they seem to wait forever to get married when they're on their own so I always arrange a marriage or two for them before I give them territory.

You also can't exchange hostages if you have no one in your court - court management is a question that comes up a lot in this game and I think most people don't realize that maintaining an excellent healthy and deep court is one of the objectives of this game.

Marriages out the wazoo. Try to keep at least three wives for every character you can arrange marriages with. This will ensure they can pop out the most offspring for your future use.

Also, the marriages with wives from other smaller clans (and good relations with clans too?) will get you a gob of incoming courtiers when said clan's lands are all taken from the map. After about 50 years, I find that regular influxes of 3 to 5 of those "refugee" characters at a time start outpacing the provinces that are easy pickings.

So, yeah, marriages and baby factories. If you get extremely desperate, you can spend some Honor and remove a title from one of your vassals. Then all his courtiers should join your court, giving you more in a pinch. Obviously, you want to pick on a vassal you have relations issues with.

They may not be as reliable as your true flesh and blood, but as long as you don't give them land, only your immediate family, you should be relatively safe against internal plots.

In my experience those immigrants are more trustworthy than your own dynasty. At least immigrants can't be pretenders.

I'm 30 years in to a game as the Nanbu and have two Kuni fully under my control and another well on the way. However, my conquests have been stymied due to the fact that I'm out of male characters to act as my masters - I have gone the past 5 years without a master of ceremonies due to this. My sons are both kokujin so they cannot be used, and there doesn't appear to be any other way of recruiting more characters for my court. Ideas? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? Is this something PI needs to consider patching?
I'm in the about the same exact situation also playing as the Nanbu. I've been playing with an empty court and offices for going on 10 years game time. I finally gave up and stopped. I guess I'll wait for the next patch.

[..]
So, yeah, marriages and baby factories. If you get extremely desperate, you can spend some Honor and remove a title from one of your vassals. Then all his courtiers should join your court, giving you more in a pinch. Obviously, you want to pick on a vassal you have relations issues with.

I kept all my sons married to max as well as myself. I also tried the title removal to get my vassals courtiers but I'll be damned if they dont refuse to give up the titles. Sadly I dont have an option for ronin because my recruiter died years ago and no one is there to replace him.

Last edited:
Adding people to your court seems nigh impossible at times.
I've got a guy out looking for ronin for FIVE YEARS... and has only found one.

And then there's the AI... I take a peek, and some of them are sitting at 100+, or even 500+!!!!!!
How the hell does that work?

Dunno what to tell you guys. If you can create marriages, then find at least three young wimins, aged 16-19, for each male in the family - especially those under 30. You'll be swimming in offspring a few years later.

If you're expanding so much even that can't keep you stocked, then hand out extra titles to the same ones.. or you should have won the game by then? .. Or all your offspring were female? :wacko:

I've been getting my kids married... when possible...

But yeah, I've just run out of people in my court.
There seems to be no way to just find more. Yet the computer provinces all have hundreds of people in theirs.

This seriously needs to be fixed.

Until it's fix for the real game, people with it or the demo can do the simpliest thing ever : marry court member with your daughters.
They will make 3/4 childs each, at least 1 will be a boy (if you're not unlucky). And you can start over with the next generation.

Overall, the problem is that court member does't marry themself without your help (and you have limited choices).
I ended with court of 60+ people this way. It was even too much to handle correctly.

I'd personally love to have the ability to recruit clans without territory into my faction to serve as kokujin, so I can use my sons and other Nanbu cronies as Masters - but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that either.

This would really be an ideal option to have.

It would actually get me to use the Character Search window, which I've found I don't currently need at all what with the liege/character window and the pop-up target selection windows. Having to butter up some landless nobles would be a good option, if they have a reasonable chance of joining you when offered shinies. Some of the overly stingy AI diplo decisions should be fixed up before this gets implemented, however.

Overall, the problem is that court member does't marry themself without your help (and you have limited choices).

Court members will marry. Just not as fast as a player can, they don't seem to be in a big hurry.

If they have a "Marriage" button, thus giving you the option to arrange for them, then you must do it. Gotta keep on top of that, too.

Just had a very strange but effective way of getting a full court happen to me. I started as Daimyo Hongo of Hyuga (vassal of Shimazu), and my leader died very early on having two sons, both from different mothers, and a regent ruler til they came of age. Out of sheer laugh factor, I betrothed each son to the mother of their half-brother, then forgot about it and went on to help my clan leader conquer our neighbor. Because of the interrelations between two brothers, and the different mothers not counting as being Inbred in the game mechanics, every child my brother had counted as a new brother/sister, increasing my court. I also got a bit lucky on three very fertile wives, and ended up with something like 8-9 children of my own before age 30. By 1500, my 4 kokujin, 2 vassal domain had an active court of 39 members, more than half of which were of age with a handful of landless in-laws to boot.

Something else to point out that I did not see mentioned above - for your first three wives, aim at any noble daughters you can either gain direct political advantage from (Uesugi, Yamana, Ouchi, etc), or any with a +Fertility bonus. Ignore their actual stats til the patch goes live, as only your most recent wife applies her stats to yours. Your 4th wife should have the best stats among the harem, I typically focus on Diplomacy with that one, though your own preference may vary depending on what stats you are lacking in.