• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

oddible

Major
102 Badges
Aug 20, 2003
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • East India Company
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
Since there is not yet a guides list thread I thought I'd get one started as many of the questions on the forums could probably be resolved by the couple great guides already posted. Some of these are pretty rough at present but things will tighten up as the game matures. Some of these should probably be merged into single guides if anyone has the time or beats me to it. If you know of other guides or advice threads (that answer repeated questions well), reply and I'll slip them into the list.

If you read a guide here, bump this thread so others can find it.

Manual
Remember, the Manual is in the FAQ section of this forum - you must register your game on the forums via the "My Game" menu in order to access restricted areas of these forums.

If you don't see a guide that can help you, remember there is always the:

Quick Questions and Quick Answers Thread

Guides

Beginner

Intermediate

Vassals & Court

Diplomacy & War

Advanced

System

Requested Guides
  • How to sow dissent and exploit the action.
  • How to make the invite to clan work.
  • Requesting explaination on what terrain does.

Last edited:
Suggested topic for medium/advanced: Managing your court population/marriages. I have had a lot of problems maintaing any sort of court, but I have heard people say marrying them all like crazy helps. Some guide to that aspect of the game would be awesome.

Very nice! I would like to move this to the FAQ forum, but the you would not be able to update it. Send me a pm when it is ready for it?
I could just sticky it right here, but then people would not see it. Stickys have the magic power of invisibility...

True, stickies can be invisible, but I always assume the FAQ section is invisible too as it is in a different forum than the main action - in fact a lot of people on this main forum asked where they could get the manual.

True, stickies can be invisible, but I always assume the FAQ section is invisible too as it is in a different forum than the main action - in fact a lot of people on this main forum asked where they could get the manual.

Once they have played a Paradox game before, these things usually become habitual though.

I could just sticky it right here, but then people would not see it. Stickys have the magic power of invisibility...

Not so when it comes to a stickied subject containing words as "Beginners Guide", Noob Help, or any other quick tips on how to get going for those fresh off the bus. I always notice those, and use them when I've just picked up a new, complex game. Not so much the other sticky forum rules stuff, though. ;)

Oh snap, last thread on the page, and no one added any new threads that suffice as guides. Hollar if you see any threads that cover concepts not already in this list and which suffice as a guide!

Requesting explaination on what terrain does. Searching in the manual gives one result: "Terrain shows natural features like mountains, rivers, and forests." Movementspeed of troops? Likelyhood of revolts? Chances on environmental catastrophies?

Requesting explaination on what terrain does. Searching in the manual gives one result: "Terrain shows natural features like mountains, rivers, and forests." Movementspeed of troops? Likelyhood of revolts? Chances on environmental catastrophies?

Really one for the quick questions thread, terain slows army movement down (impasabe mountains do at least I assume other types do to a lesser extent), and provides a bonus to the defender if a battle occurs.

For a battle a dice is rolled and checked against the % to determine where the battle is fought. Eg if a province is 66% plains 33% mountains there is a 2/3 chance it will be fought in a plain (with no penalty to the attacker) and a 1/3 chance it will be fought in the mountains with a -2 penalty to the attacker. A river crossing adds a further -1 penalty to the attacker.