• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1843: The end of an era

The noble Lord says, that Austria is one of the most powerful military countries in Europe: that her energies are greater than they are supposed to be; that she appears to remain passive, relying upon her strength; but that if that force should be called forth in a just cause, it would be found to be greater than it is thought.

State opening and Emperor's speech

The opening of the 1843 Diet was a sombre occasion: not only was Japan embroiled in two wars and contemplating a third, but Emperor Kashiwabara was unable to attend due to what would prove to be his final illness. Worryingly for the Cabinet the Crown Prince was known to be less than sympathetic to the Court Party having conceived a strong personal dislike of the prime minister. While relations between Ito and Kashiwabara had never been warm, the two understood and respected one another well enough. The hostility of the Emperor's son would threaten not only Ito's career, but call into question the whole purpose of the Court Party: if it could not be said to represent the views of the throne, what was it for?

budgeto.png

Despite the ongoing costs of war the Finance Minister announced that the tariff would be reduced to 75% in an effort to address the widespread evasion of the duty and – happily – because even so it was bringing in more than had been predicted. With government coffers showing a surplus of almost £700,000 it was felt that some concessions should be made to those manufacturers who relied on imports.

Emperor Kashiwabara died on 21 May and was buried on 3 July. In the intervening period Japan was in mourning. The normal business of the Diet was suspended, but a special session was held on 5 June at which prime minister Ito delivered the eulogy and read out messages of condolences, including a particularly heartfelt tribute from Baron Gros, the French ambassador.

The prime minister also informed the Diet that Kashiwabara's last words were "I have fulfilled my duty to the Empire and my father to the best of my abilities and I devoutly hope that no man should think ill of me for that". Only later did the rumour that the Emperor had actually said "don't let him ruin it" gain currency. According to various interpretations the "him" in question was the Emperor's doctor, his cook or the prime minister; more popular still was the belief that Kashiwabara had referred to his son and successor.

bademperor.png

On ascending the throne Sakuramachi III took the regnal name Kōmei - justice - and vowed to rule for the benefit of all Japanese. This has been interpreted as a slight against the Diet, which stood for the interests of the privileged members of society. Sakuramachi looked back to a time when the Emperor had held untrammelled power and could balance the interests of all groups rather than favouring one. Throughout his reign he would lend his support to the restorationists - now calling themselves loyalists - and his accession was yet another setback for the Court's plans to consolidate their position.

However, while Sakuramachi was formally able to dismiss Ito the Emperor also appreciated that the Court commanded a great deal of respect in the Diet. For now the prime minister's position was safe, but Kashiwabara's death meant that should the government show any sign of weakness it risked being replaced by a party more in keeping with the Emperor's ideals.

Unfinished business

While Kashiwabara battled his final sickness, other conflicts were coming to a happier end. At the beginning of the year the Qin army was held at bay in the south and appeared unwilling to advance even against numerically inferior Japanese forces. Seeing Qin's reluctance to come to battle the Cabinet decided to press its advantage and demanded the return of Rangoon to Burma.

rangoonfree.png

A war that had proved more difficult for Japan than had been anticipated now promised to end as well as could have been hoped. Although Qin would continue to hold out for a further three months, so long as their remaining forces proved unwilling to attack the end was not in doubt.

qinpeace.png

On 20 March the negotiations were concluded and Qin was forced to submit to Japan's terms. Rangoon was handed back to Burma, restoring that state's access to the sea and strengthening the position of its new king, Handabayin; almost as an afterthought Tibet was freed from its vassalage.

That left one conflict remaining, but truth be told the surrender of Modena's northern armies at the end of 1842 had destroyed its ability to fight back. Japanese and Milanese forces had overrun the Po valley and an expedition had been dispatched to Sicily, left defenceless by the naval blockade.

modenamay1.png

Only the unwillingness of the Holy Roman Emperor to admit he was beaten prolonged Modena's suffering, but eventually even Ennio Gonzaga was forced to concede defeat. The Treaty of Parma was signed on 1 May, recognising Milanese possession of Genoa and its hinterland and reducing Modena's northern holdings to an enclave around the capital. Japan for its part asked nothing, wishing only to be given a free hand in Europe. To the north a much greater struggle was just beginning.

Saving Magdeburg

Even as the ink was still drying on the peace accord with Qin and Japanese troops were busy occupying Modena the Cabinet was preparing to embark on Japan's biggest war in a generation. Preliminary negotiations with Magdeburg had produced a joint accord which called for the immediate cessation of all hostilities in Germany. Since the Austro-Magdeburg war was the only conflict affected it was obvious to all that the initiative was aimed at thwarting the Archduke's ambitions, but it provided a diplomatic fig leaf for what was to follow.

austriawar2apr.png

On 27 March, following Austria's failure to respond to a Japanese ultimatum the Empire declared war. The move caught Vienna off guard and off balance: its armies were deployed to the north against Magdeburg leaving nothing in the south to defend against the Army of Italy's advance on Trent. Seeing little other option, Ferdinand ordered the raising of militia regiments, swelling his army to only two brigades shy of the Empire's 64.

Even as its troops were losing ground to Austria, Magdeburg was increasingly being recognised as the second pole of German politics, eclipsing a Bavaria whose quiescence in the present conflict had done it no favours.

maggpapr13.png

An unwelcome result of this newfound status was that Magdeburg broke off negotiations with Japan, claiming that the Empire was treating them as clients rather than equals. Despite the ingratitude, Japan had got the chance it wanted to intervene against Austria. However, Magdeburg's intransigence meant that the Empire's efforts would focus on defeating the enemy rather than supporting its nominal ally.

Japan's first move in the war was the occupation of Trent. Situated on the Italian side of the Alps the province offered easier access to Imperial troops than it did to its Austrian rulers. General Oyama, the victor of Modena, was able to play to his strengths as a master of the defence and using a force of only 6,000 lured 24,000 Austrian militiamen into an ambush.

battleoftrentto3june.png

The poor training and morale of the militia brigades contrasted sharply with Oyama's veterans, who held out against Austrian forces outnumbering them by more than 10,000 until the trap could be sprung. When it was, 42,000 Japanese faced the already demoralised enemy army, which quickly surrendered.

The sweetness of triumph was somewhat lessened by the injuries sustained by General Oyama, whose horse was struck by shrapnel resulting in its rider being thrown into a ditch. The general suffered concussion and developed a severe case of pneumonia. Sent to Florence to convalesce, Oyama never again held a field command, but remained the animating genius behind Japan's Austrian campaign.

Navally the blockade of Austria was a simple affair. With few ports to cover the Japanese fleet could be concentrated to ensure that it could not be defeated in detail. While the European First Fleet blockaded the northern Adriatic, the Second Fleet was dispatched to the Baltic.

navalvictory.png

Neither Austria nor Magdeburg were natural naval powers and at the beginning of the war both had taken to using armed merchant vessels to contest control of the northern sea. Lacking in both ships and experience a decisive battle had eluded the combatants until the arrival of the Japanese navy tipped the balance decisively. Japanese ships of the line displayed their superior firepower and seamanship in clearing the enemy from the Kattegat and sealing the Baltic.

As the year ended Japanese troops had crossed the Alps and forced Austria to divert an army south to meet the incursion. Following a plan laid down by Field Marshal Oyama, General Okada was able to pin nine brigades of Austrian regulars in Innsbruck and cut their supply lines. Unusually mild weather had meant that the Brenner Pass had remained open until late in the year, and Japanese gold had ensured that there were a steady stream of suppliers ready to brave the harsh conditions to bring food and ammunition over the mountains from Italy.

battleofinnsbruckdec.png

As the year drew to a close, the battle of Innsbruck still raged, but the end no longer seemed in doubt, if it ever were. Some 27,000 Austrians had been cut off and faced starvation or surrender.

By 1844 Japan had made limited but steady gains in the south, but Austria had made much quicker progress against Magdeburg, whose army was down to fewer than 20,000 men even on paper. Without Japan's intervention it was impossible that Magdeburg would have survived, and even with it matters remained precarious.

warin44.png

Seeing victory so close at hand, Archduke Ferdinand refused all suggestions that he should come to terms with Japan. For its part the Empire began to consider widening the war to strike at Austrian possessions in Africa and the Great Eastlands.

Domestic affairs

For the vast majority of Imperial citizens and subjects 1843 was dominated by the death of Kashiwabara and the coronation of the new Emperor. The wars were distant, taxes were light and - for the Japanese at least - there was little to complain about. In February the Interior Minister was called on to intervene in a scandal in Osaka in which the local governor - a prominent supporter of the Court - was exposed as having carried on an affair with the wife of a local industrialist, who took his revenge by taking the story to the newspapers.

scandalsheet.png

Despite privately agreeing with the governor that such matters were no business for reputable journalists the Interior Minister felt there were no grounds on which the story could be prevented from being published. The censorship laws on the books governed state security and lese-majesty, neither of which seemed to apply to the present case. Local wags remarked that the governor would have had more luck had he been sleeping with the wife of the Emperor, although they took care not to do so in front of the police.

In October the Foreign Ministry was forced to deal with a minor crisis concerning negotiations over the repatriation of shipwrecked Japanese seamen. The issue had become particularly pressing given Japanese activities in the Baltic, but so far the Tsar and his ministers had used every trick in the book to frustrate a settlement.

rusinsult2810.png

Although some of the more hot-headed in the Diet viewed such provocation as a pretext for war, the truth was that Japan could ill-afford another conflict when it already had its hands full with Austria. Instead, the Japanese ambassador was instructed to break off talks in a tactful manner: a task he accomplished so adroitly that relations between the Empire and Russia thawed somewhat. Despite the lack of a formal treaty, Russia allowed Japanese sailors to leave its territory for Gotland, from where they were able to rejoin the fleet.

The repercussions of the Court's statement of principles continued to make themselves felt in 1843. The government encouraged the development of a rational paternalism, meaning that decisions would be made on people's behalf on the basis of available evidence rather than preconceptions.

techs.png

However, in the hands of more mischievous philosophers, this empiricism was fashioned into an attack on religion, which was very much neither the Court's intent, nor to its liking.

End of year

The close of the year saw the Empire still embroiled in war, as it had been since 1842. Austria had been badly wounded, but still commanded a sizeable army, although the amount of troops it had to hand in Europe itself was open to question. Domestically, the new Emperor was no friend of the Court Party, and liberal sentiment continued to gain ground. The government's majority in the Diet looked less certain than ever, and it could no longer rely on Imperial goodwill to rally support.

endofyear.png

Hah! I love seeing Austria's warscore crumble when you intervened. Another great update, I especially like the splicing of different screenshots into single clean image. It was all I could do to avoid having a stray tooltip covering needed information.

Fantastic! :D

I loved the EU3 AAR as you know, and this is magnificent too! Well done, and congrats with the conversion!

Malurous has it right. My wife gave birth to our first child last Tuesday at 4am and we only got discharged on Saturday (and had to pop back in today). I'm not getting a great deal of sleep, but other than that things are great.

Congratulations! I'm all the more impressed you are still able to keep the updates coming at such a high quality despite the lack of sleep.

I think it no bad thing that the newly crowned Emperor Kōmei is not a great fan of Ito. Ito has proven himself a very competent Prime Minister but Kōmei's support of the loyalist party should hopefully keep Ito on his toes and prompt him to remain wary of any possible complacency. The last words from Kashiwabara were very interesting. Surely his cook was not burning his sushi?! Rather worrying if he was referring to his son when speaking these last words, time will tell who he was referring to.

The war against Austria is progressing very well, Oyama's trap was well executed. The only problem seems to be whether or not Magdeburg can hang on for long enough or not. Even if she cannot, I do like that Japan is considering stripping Austria of African or Eastland holdings - Austria needs to be punished.

Yes, it remains to be seen what comes out of this war as far as Magdeburg is concerned. Hopefully Japan can find a way to contain the Austrians, whether it's by saving Magdeburg or by some other means.

Many congratulations on the child! :)

Many congratulations on your little one. My girl is starting to pressure me to consider one and I am terrified of the idea. Wishing you the best of luck for.....the rest of your life =\

Thanks to everyone's good wishes on the birth of my new son. William is doing well, as his is mother and I, although we both need more sleep.

Hah! I love seeing Austria's warscore crumble when you intervened. Another great update, I especially like the splicing of different screenshots into single clean image. It was all I could do to avoid having a stray tooltip covering needed information.

I've got a lot better at this photo-editing lark as this AAR has gone on. I've only just realised that the PNG format supports transparency in a way that JPG doesn't.

you're doing a good job with Austria but I can't see Magdeburg hanging in long enough ... which will probably leave Austria as the German power in Europe for a while yet

I'm not sure if the junior partner can drop out of a Status Quo intervention short of being fully occupied. Given how much WE they end up with it would probably be better if they could.

Fantastic! :D

I loved the EU3 AAR as you know, and this is magnificent too! Well done, and congrats with the conversion!

Thanks. Good to have you along and look forward to commenting on your upcoming AAR.

Congratulations! I'm all the more impressed you are still able to keep the updates coming at such a high quality despite the lack of sleep.

I think it no bad thing that the newly crowned Emperor Kōmei is not a great fan of Ito. Ito has proven himself a very competent Prime Minister but Kōmei's support of the loyalist party should hopefully keep Ito on his toes and prompt him to remain wary of any possible complacency. The last words from Kashiwabara were very interesting. Surely his cook was not burning his sushi?! Rather worrying if he was referring to his son when speaking these last words, time will tell who he was referring to.

The war against Austria is progressing very well, Oyama's trap was well executed. The only problem seems to be whether or not Magdeburg can hang on for long enough or not. Even if she cannot, I do like that Japan is considering stripping Austria of African or Eastland holdings - Austria needs to be punished.

We'll have to see how Sakuramachi turns out. It turns out I can't demand anything on a Status Quo CB, that's the least of the Empire's problems with this war.

Yes, it remains to be seen what comes out of this war as far as Magdeburg is concerned. Hopefully Japan can find a way to contain the Austrians, whether it's by saving Magdeburg or by some other means.

Many congratulations on the child! :)

Containing Austria by other means might be the plan from now on, if Japan cares about Austria at all.

Many congratulations on your little one. My girl is starting to pressure me to consider one and I am terrified of the idea. Wishing you the best of luck for.....the rest of your life =\

Congrats on the new baby!

Thanks to you both. :)

1844: Fortunes of war

The fact was, that regarding this measure Ministers had from the first pursued a timid and shilly-shally course unworthy of a strong Government

State opening and Emperor's speech

The 1844 state opening of the Diet was the first at which Sakuramachi presided in his own right, rather than as stand-in for his father. Although the new Emperor performed his duties faithfully, his body language as he gave his address betrayed the antipathy he felt towards 'his' government.

budget44.png

With an election looming and taxes at the lowest sustainable levels, the Cabinet sought other means to build support. The tariff had proved a popular revenue-raising device and even with the strains of war the Budget had shown a modest surplus for 1843.

In light of this, the Budget contained a big increase in civil service funding. The Finance Minister explained that the bureaucracy was understaffed and the new monies would go towards tackling crime and tariff evasion. The unspoken assumption was that the new funds would also allow the government to curry favour with potential supporters by finding sinecures for them or their clients.

The Second Austrian War

At the opening session of the Diet the Minister of War announced that the Empire would expand the war with Austria by attacking its colonial holdings. Such a policy had served Japan well during the first Austrian War and it was believed to be a less burdensome undertaking than the war in Europe.

austrianafrica.png

A force of 12,000 troops was assembled and despatched to Austrian West Africa with instructions to occupy undefended territory, but only to offer battle where they considerably outnumbered the enemy. Although this order was prudent given the long supply lines, the government was heavily criticised for its perceived timidity.

It would take nearly six months for the Japanese fleet to arrive in the Bight of Benin and begin unloading troops.

islandhopping.png

The first targets would be the islands of Fernando Po and Sao Tome, both of whose small garrisons had retreated into their fortifications. As predicted, Japan was able to occupy Austrian colonies with little resistance, but it was not Africa where the war would be decided.

The beginning of January also saw the battle of Innsbruck draw to a close. Cut off and without hope of reinforcement, the Austrians had nevertheless fought bravely, both against the Japanese and with the cold and hunger that beset them as their supplies dwindled.

innsbruckz.png

By the end of the fight, virtually every Austrian combatant had been killed, injured or captured in battle. Not a single unit made it out of Oyama's trap.

Defeated in Innsbruck, the Austrians could not immediately spare troops to rescue the situation in the south. Japanese forces fanned out to occupy territory and make preparations for the eventual counterattack.

While Japan was unchallenged, to the north Magdeburg had suffered the full force of Austria's aggression. With the fall of Hamburg, its principal port, its government lost the last connection to the outside world, and with it the confidence of its bondholders. The resulting panic forced Magdeburg to declare bankruptcy on 12 June.

magbankrupt.png

Whatever the outcome of war in the south, in the Diet the Cabinet was heavily criticised for leaving a supposed ally in a much worse position than it had been in when Japan had joined the war. Oyama's cautious strategy had limited Japanese casualties, but if the war resulted in the devastation of Austria's greatest German rival it could hardly be said that the Empire had emerged victorious.

With its coffers empty, Magdeburger resistance collapsed, allowing the Austrians to shift forces to meet the Japanese forces edging towards Vienna. Close on 50,000 Austrians were to arrive at the front over the coming months, and a Japanese column in Judenburg was surprised and overwhelmed.

retreat.png

The renewed Austrian resistance was to lead to one of the most controversial decisions of the war. Even as 3,000 Japanese were facing hopeless odds in Judenburg, Oyama countermanded the order to relieve them. Instead, the Field Marshal declared that the remaining Japanese forces would pull back to Italy and await the chance to engage the enemy on more favourable terms.

In the end, Oyama's decision was to prove prudent. Throughout the summer and autumn diplomatic approaches had been made to the Empire seeking an end to the war. At first, Austria was unwilling to concede to Japan the right to intervene in German affairs and had insisted on the status quo ante bellum, but with Imperial armies still in the field and the prospect of losing control of its colonies, cooler heads prevailed in Vienna.

warisover.png

The peace treaty of November 1844 vindicated Oyama's strategy of patience, but again left the government open to charges of timidity. Both Magdeburg and Austria had suffered from the war, but the former had had a much worse time of it. With its army gone and its populous left reeling from the effects of the war it seemed that it would take Magdeburg at least a generation to recover: Japan had lost its German counterweight.

Foreign affairs

The year began with a British declaration of war against Ireland, which had already been weakened by the loss of Ulster to Scotland. Despite receiving Japanese financial support, Ireland proved to be no match for Britain, which by June had completed its conquests.

irelandw.png

The island was now partitioned between three states. In the north, Scotland held Ulster, while the remaining independent Irish state of Munster held the south with British possessions forming a band from the Atlantic to the Irish Sea. Once again, Britain had waged a successful war of aggression without Japanese interference: a fact which reflected badly upon the Cabinet.

Closer to home, the new Burmese king, Handabayin, attempted to cement his position on the throne in the time-honoured tradition: by declaring war against a neighbour.

burma.png

Unlike his father, Handabayin was astute enough to pick the small and friendless Shan as his target. In keeping with the policy of creating strong regional allies, Japan would fund Burma's war to its conclusion.

The 1844 election

The election campaign was dominated by the Austrian war and the government's handling thereof. While the Cabinet hoped that the war's successful conclusion in November would provide a fillip to the Court's chances, this was more than countered by the Emperor's intervention. Sakuramachi let it be known privately that he was distressed by the lack of martial prowess shown by Imperial forces, and in public limited his support for the government to only the mildest of bromides.

Elsewhere, the reshaping of the political landscape unleashed by the Court's statement of principles continued apace. Engerusu's The Condition of the Working Classes in Japan, published in May, had argued that social position was purely the result of economic conditions and advocated a system of collective ownership to allow people to better realise their full potential.

techsh.png

Mainstream politicians responded by stressing the unique status of the Emperor as the divinely-mandated ruler of Japanese society, from whom all subsequent authority and hierarchy sprang. While this was indeed the official line, some of the more moderate Diet deputies were uncomfortable with a system that seemed to deny human agency just as much as Engerusu's did.

Religion and the position of non-Japanese subjects within the Empire were the two main domestic issues of the campaign. For the Court, religion was a matter of pragmatism: while they might deplore efforts to excise the role of religion from the state entirely, the Cabinet recognised that the vast majority of Imperial subjects and citizens did not exclusively subscribe to the officially-sanctioned Shinto taught in state schools.

elecreligion.png

For the Restorationists, the matter was simple: Shinto was a way of life whose practice was an affirmation of loyalty to the Emperor and hence to the state itself. Other religions could be tolerated privately, but Shinto was the only acceptable faith to profess publicly. While this stance left the Resorationists open to charges of hypocrisy, it allowed the party to identify itself with the Emperor in a way that the Court were increasingly unable to do.

Matters of immigration were intimately bound-up with the growing problems of unemployment in the Empire. On the matter of how non-Japanese subjects should be treated there was little to separate the Court from the Restorationists.

immigration.png

As far as both parties were concerned, subjects were entitled to protection under the law, but were restricted in their ability to rise within the bureaucracy or the military or to attend the most prestigious universities. The focus on an issue on which there was little difference in opinion between the Court and the Restorationists did little to benefit the party in government. Meanwhile, those electors who found such a stance too severe switched their support to the Isolationists, or even the Liberals.

Despite their steady gains in the Diet, the Liberals did not have the best of campaigns. On their favoured economic subjects there was little debate.

elecmonopolies.png

An attempt to engage on the issue of dismantling the factory licensing system made a modicum of progress in Zhangzhou, but although the region was Liberal-leaning it made up such a small proportion of the electoral college that the outcome was of no more than local importance.

End of year

In the end, the Court found its support fatally weakened by the Austrian war. Those who favoured a more aggressive approach switched to backing the Restorationists, whose enjoyment of Imperial favour – albeit tacit – greatly improved their showing at the polls.

For those who doubted the wisdom of foreign adventurism in general, the, Isolationists were a more natural choice, but support for the latter party only served to divide the conservative vote.

The Liberals were able to improve on their disastrous showing of 1840, but only just, and remained insignificant on the Imperial Council.

loyalistswin.png

Faced with such a landslide, Ito conceded defeat, resigning as both prime minister and as leader of the Court Party, which itself faced an uncertain future. To the Restorationists – or Loyalists, as they referred to themselves – fell the task of governing the Empire. Time would tell if the new prime minister, Hirobumi Kuroda, and his Cabinet were up to the task.

Party popularity having such huge swings doesn't feel very natural, but an interesting political change nonetheless.

"If Japan cares about Austria at all"? Interesting... Not caring would leave Milan in a pretty dangerous situation.

Time will tell if Kuroda is the right man or not indeed. Worrying news with regards to both Magdeburg's great weakening and Britain continuing her aggressive expansion. Good though that you stopped Austria from further hurting Magdeburg. I found it quite amusing that despite Japan's intervention she is still -100 in relations with Magdeburg, such gratitude!

Not being very familiar with Japanese history, are you using historical names/figures for your updates?

A fantastic update! You sure beat the tar out of those Austrians. Poor Ireland seems doomed to more fighting as well!

So what line of policy are the restorationists going to follow? I must admit its hard keeping up with these parties when I only see them once a week.

Also, does this mean that you as the player will change your gameplay style to one of non-intervention (or whatever this party does)?

Magdeburg might not be good counterweight anymore, but at least it survived. Whether that outcome was worth the expenditure of Japanese blood and treasure is something imperial historians will be debating for a while, one presumes. Geopolitically it made sense, but like others in the thread, I am wondering if the poorer-than-expected military showing might herald something unpleasant for the long term.

And yes, poor Ireland! I expect it will remain a battleground until either Scotland or Britain comes out on top.