Table of Contents
The first decade: 1836-1845
- The Empire of Japan – 1821-1836
- 1836: The continuation of politics
- 1837: Entangling alliances
- 1838: Family ties
- 1839: The means of production
- 1840: The Court goes to the country
- 1841: Si vis pacem
- 1842: Things fall apart
- 1843: The end of an era
- 1844: The fortunes of war
- 1845: The new order
- 1836-1846: State of the Nation
The second decade: 1846-1855
- 1846: The threat from the north
- 1847: The Russian war
- 1848: The long campaign
- 1849: Loyalists and patriots
- 1850: The root of all evil
- 1851: Hearts and minds
- 1852: The Loyalists at bay
- 1853: Splendid isolation
- 1854: Above the fray
- 1855: The fruits of peace
- 1846-1856: State of the Nation
The third decade: 1856-1865
- 1856: Patriotism, Peace and Prosperity
- 1857: The price of peace
- 1858: Differences of opinion
- 1859: Oyama vindicated
Welcome to my first Victoria 2 AAR, and my second AAR of any kind. In fact, a better way of describing it would be to call it the continuation of my first AAR. When I began writing the Yamato destiny, back in August last year, I conceived of it as a relatively quick gameplay-style "here's some cool things that happened in EU3" affair. Over the length of the telling it evolved into a history book format that tried to provide a rationale for the events of the game. This time around I'll try to be more consistent at picking a style and sticking with it. I'll be starting off in a history-book style, and hopefully finishing in the same way.
I started the original game with half a mind on eventual conversion to Victoria 2. It's one of the reasons that I limited my expansion to China and those lands that were free to colonise. Even with just these it's clear that Japan - a civilised and populous empire in 1836 - is a major power right from the start. For those of you looking for a tale of victory against the odds I'd instead point you at one of the many excellent examples of that type of game.
So this AAR will look at how Japan goes about maintaining her role as top nation in a new era. In many ways the game is a British Empire AAR with the numbers filed off. Japan will attempt to stay true to its principles, honour its alliances and protect its friends. I'm also going to attempt to play the parties as I think they would act in a given situation. The Liberals will try to keep taxes low, an anti-military party will reduce military spending in peacetime and jingoists will never pass up a CB.
From a technical perspective, the version of the game I’m playing is one that I’ve modified myself. That said, I've used the excellent EU3 Savegame Editor by comagoosie and have made extensive use of the province mapping done by members of the EU3toVic2 Converter Project team. Any errors that have crept in along the way are my fault rather than theirs. The game itself is running on the 1.4 beta patch of the 27th June (EDIT: updated to the September 26th beta).
Gameplay wise, I promise not to abuse the save and reload system, nor edit the savefile for my benefit - although I reserve the right to tinker about in the interest of fixing things or in order to produce a more plausible outcome.
I'll try to ensure that the AAR is updated regularly, but can't promise anything more certain than that. This is particularly true of the next month or so as my wife and I are expecting our first child and after he arrives it's pretty much a case of all timetables go out the window. On the other hand, I won't be out socialising for a while, so it might have a positive effect on my posting frequency.
I hope people enjoy reading!
Play the conversion
For anyone interested in giving this conversion a go themselves, I've attached it here as a zip file. To install, place it in the mod sub-folder of your Victoria 2 folder, e.g. C:\Victoria 2\mod\Yamato Mod
I'm using JSGME to load and unload the mod, which is handy as you can disable it when you want to play the vanilla game.
The mod itself has been tested on version 1.4 beta of 27th June. I haven't tried it on the later betas, but they should work as long as they don't change text.csv in the localisation folder. If they do, it's fairly quick to fix, so let me know if you trying to get it to work.