• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GShock

Colonel
34 Badges
Aug 16, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines
I am at a loss on how to give this title to a guy.

When you grant land, you have the Kuni and right below it all the kori that make that Kuni. The kori show the circle with 3 dots inside (the title of Kokunji) but there's no evidence of a title of Daimyo.

Since the title of Daimyo is pretty much higher than the one of Kokunji I think the player should be able to grant it right away... but I can't for the love of me understand how to.

It seems I am supposed to give the guy the Kokujin title of the entire Kuni one kori by one. Can you confirm this?

What I don't understand is: Is this convenient and will the guy start naming his own kokunji after he's become one of my Daimyos? Because the way I see it, he's Daimyo of the Kuni AND kokunji of all the provinces that compose it after I gave him so I am not sure he would be willing to name his own Kokunji.

Daimyo titles can be given only when you occupy a whole kuni, a province.

Like if you occupy the provinces of Owari and Mino, both are kuni, and you can grant either to a kokujin so that he becomes a daimyo.

Yes but how to manually do it.
In the interface you see the Kokunji titles, each assigned to a kori but you don't see a daimyo title. So how do you assign this title to a guy? By giving him the Kokunji of all the Kori of the same Kuni?

You assign daimyo titles the same way you do kokunji titles - you know where the region name is displayed and greyed out? If the person is eligible to be a daimyo, then it wont be greyed out. For a vassal to be eligible, you have to hold the daimyo title yourself and he has to be a landed vassal in that region.

To be Daimyo you need to own all provinces that are part of a Kuni. To give that Daimyo title your Kokujin needs to have at least one province in that Kuni. In Grant landed title Daimyo titles are listed first and have a small plus sign on their button, after that are list of Kunis (minus mark on their button) and the provinces you have adjacent to them. Provinces have a triforce mark on their button. Here is a screenshot so you understand better. In this screen Takeda Akitane owns Takai province which is a part of Shinano Kuni that I am a Daimyo of. Now I am giving him the title of Shinano Daimyo. In CK terms I am King Takeda who has Duke of X title and am transferring Duke title to Takeda Akitane who has a province that is part of Dutchy X. Hope this explaines it a bit.

Last edited:
Guys your help is invaluable. Thanks for the explanation and for the screenshot!

I quit playing and trying to learn crusader kings (and lo vult) because I couldn't understand the titles... most importantly what title is convenient to give and to whom (that goes to say: why should I give this title to that guy, and why that guy and not someone else?).

The interface is good enough ... but the game is really complex on the diplomatic side and that makes it really daunting for a newcomer like me.

So recapping: The daimyo title will be brownish (available) only if:

a) I am daimyo of that land, which means I personally own (not my kokunjiis or daimyos, I PERSONALLY own) the entire Kuni (same color set in the filter), meaning ALL its territories.
b) The vassal I want to give the Daimyo title is already Kokunji in that Kuni (meaning, I make him Kokunji first in one of the Kori of that Kuni and then he can be Daimyo next).

*please confirm a)+b)= ability to give Daimyo title.

What happens when I give a Daimyo the title but I retain all the other titles of Kokunji for that Kuni?
In other words if I give a guy the Kokunji of every Kori in a Kuni, will he be able to nominate his own personal subvassals (Kokunjis answering to him)? Because it doesn't seem quite proper to give the title of Daimyo to someone who basically only has control over ONE territory of that Kuni and can't nominate his own Kokunjis...

What is the best way to achieve a balanced kingdom, considering you should only keep 5 territories in your demeasne? I suppose you should give as many titles as you can to the people you trust but read above: Should I give more than the Daimyo title to a guy or should I give him Daimyo of a Kuni PLUS Kokunji of some more territories in that Kuni?

Gawd that's the most straightforward explanation I ever got in a game, thanks again and sorry if I keep questioning! :)

*Moderator: I think these explanations should go into a sticky... maybe we can assemble a player guide soon enough for all newcomers!

On first part. Entire Kuni needs to be conquered but not sure you have to personally own entire Kuni to be Daimyo, think it counts entire clan so you + kokujins = you get daimyo title OR the person with most provinces in Kuni or it is like 2/3 of Kuni = Daimyo. My scenario so far was that I as a Clan leader get the Daimyo title coz I conquer most of Kuni while one or two Kokujins each own a province in that Kuni. Would like that devs confirm who gets it to be 100% sure. Also to confirm that single province Kokujin can be a Daimyo, in fact that is the case in screenshot i gave above. Remember that in conquest if Kokujin sieges first/alone they will get ownership so they have prospect of acquiring land. Also as you expand you should give land away. Don't think Daimyo title restricts you to have Kokujins only from that Kuni. Kokujin = as all characters 5 provinces limit, Daimyo = 5 provinces limit + can have his own Kokujins so he can in end own a lot of land. Don't think you can assign Kokujins to Daimyos, they do it themselves. In CK terms that would be King can have Counts (usually single province lords but intrigue decides who much provinces he can hold) and Dukes who can have their own Count vassals. My way is to have me hold the starting core provinces by myself, give my next Kuni to my younger brother/heir, after that I give Kunis to my sons. If Kuni is bigger than 5 provinces I give larger part to the person that will be Daimyo and other to some other Kokujin. So far have no experience in subjugation of other clans beside the ones that start subjugated with Takeda.

edit: that was my last edit

Last edited:
The daimyo title as I see it in game has a "+" next to it and only seems to show for the person with the most land in the area. I think it would be real nice if the message text for the transfer explicitly stated the word "daimyo" prior to confirmation. Oddly enough for my son which I gave nearly all of one daimyo territory to refuses to take the title it seems as he has five kuni. Odd...

I agree, there should be the direct option to give the title of Daimyo to someone which automatically gives to him the Kuni's available titles. This title should be available for grab as soon as the previous Daimyo is removed. It would be interesting to see warlords actually have ambitions on such title (not just your warlords but the warlords of neighboring koris as well).

Naturally, such title should be given a higher boost to relationships between the leader and the newly nominated Daimyo. More than the one between Leader and Kokunji.

Shimazu clanleader is also daimyo of Satsuma. We DEFINITELY need that text in the character's tooltip.
No doubt. For simplicity sake I would like a title tab which shows all titles for each character and the date they got it and from whom as well as lost titles and when of course.

I was just thinking that a menu or something in the ledger would be nice as well, as about four generations ago I made my one of my clan leader's sons Daimyo of Buzen, but then forgot about it, and three generations later I notice my current clan leader is Buzen's heir. turns out I forgot to marry them off, so when the son died, he passed it to a brother, and that brother has no heir either, since I also forgot to marry him off. So here I am, going through my old saves, trying to figure out when I gave it out in the first place....

Edit: Wow. I didn't realise I'd never posted before. This post makes me look like an absentminded moron... Which I can be.

Last edited: