• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent lesson! I wish I had these when I started play IN (and lost as Manchu starting in 1660?!). Nicely written, and well laid out. :)

great post - picking (& properly understanding) a first NI can be quite daunting

Indeed. A very good overview of the "best" early-NIs. Certainly very helpful for a new player.

Indeed. A very good overview of the "best" early-NIs. Certainly very helpful for a new player.

I'm a bit surprised that Patron of the Arts didn't make the list. It helps getting good advisors and has some nice events with it. Especially important for non-Western nations, as the event Architectural developments gives +2 Innovative. As being maximum Innovative is a requirement for Westernisation, this NI is probably the best one to have for non-Western nations.

I'm a bit surprised that Patron of the Arts didn't make the list. It helps getting good advisors and has some nice events with it. Especially important for non-Western nations, as the event Architectural developments gives +2 Innovative. As being maximum Innovative is a requirement for Westernisation, this NI is probably the best one to have for non-Western nations.

Oh, I did forget about the +2 Inno event. My thoughts were that a CAD-GI switch would provide the Cultural Tradition. But it's true, I often pick PotA as first or possibly second idea. It's very powerful, especially for small countries (the advisor sell income is huge compared to what they can make in taxes).

Too much like winning the lottery for me. Although it may be a good NI, I prefer things that have a good constant effect, and Patron's actual bonus was mentioned in the part about Church Attendance Duty.

Yeah but its good anyway since you can use it to more easily get cold hard cash as you called it yourself. To sell advisors is great early game and you can sell sherrifs which are useless for other nations but they will still buy ^^

When playing you should now go for trade 7 and then change your idea to QftNW anyway.

As a "beginners guide" a question : once upon a time, in a galax...no, actually right here.. :D
I seem to recall that in eu I, having an artist while being at stab +3, would net you his bonus as money each month. Since I am now playing the all-new and much improved EU IIIDW, is that still the case? Or should I sack my level 5 Artisté as soon as I am at stab 3?

As a "beginners guide" a question : once upon a time, in a galax...no, actually right here.. :D
I seem to recall that in eu I, having an artist while being at stab +3, would net you his bonus as money each month. Since I am now playing the all-new and much improved EU IIIDW, is that still the case? Or should I sack my level 5 Artisté as soon as I am at stab 3?

That is no longer the case, unless this has completely slipped my notice. (Which, perhaps, it has)

Either way, there's better uses for that advisor slot, like free tech investment. (Well, actually not free because of salaries, but you get the point)

Actually, Battlefield Commissions has another neat little side effect; from time to time, you get a free General with 50 military tradition! I never used to use it in older versions of EU 3, but I would consider it a must-own for any aspiring world conquerors.

I would humbly request some analysis of buildings, myself, which is the one aspect of DW that I've never quite gotten my finger on.

Nice presentation of the potential starting Nationals Ideas.
Though I'll have added Patron of the Arts to the list. It's almost essential to take it early if you play an mesoamerican or sub-saharan nation.
The "Architectural Development" event has a base mtth of 360 months (30 years), so it's not totally about luck (Well, you need an ADM 6 monarch).
You can have it 2 or 3 times before the Europeans' arrival and it shave off 2 sliders moves each time.
If you start as the Aztecs, for example, you need 15 sliders moves to be able to westernise. You almost depend on this event if the Europeans arrive towards the early 1500s.

But well, since this is an AAR for beginners, and that only masochists or people who search for a challenge play those countries I guess it's not SO important. :D

If you get government tech 4 as a mesoamerican nation and still have enough time left to get three repeats of that event, I would be surprised. Unless I'm the only one who always gets invaded in 1450 as the Aztecs..

If you get government tech 4 as a mesoamerican nation and still have enough time left to get three repeats of that event, I would be surprised. Unless I'm the only one who always gets invaded in 1450 as the Aztecs..

Well, you're right, when I said 3 times I was thinking about my game as the Cherokees in which the europeans arrived in 1600. So forget about that, it was a strange game anyway.
I get at least one Architectural Developement before the Europeans arrive 80% of the time, which is enough for me to consider it the "best" way to go, now, it's possible that I'm just lucky.
Obviously you can be unlucky and get invaded by the Castillians in 1450, but in that case, I don't think anything can save you... :laugh:
Well, anyway, I stand by what I said, Patron of the Arts is IMO, a very useful first NI for native americans and sub-saharan countries.

Also as Holland. At least until you get trade 7 and can switch to QftNW. You can make a lot of hard cash with advisors. The easiest ways of making cash as Holland would be either national bank or this one. And combine that with the event this makes a very viable option.

I found Church Attendance Duty to be a great help when Westernising as you're going to be spending heavily on recovering stability throughout the period.

I have to say I agree with Gela in giving the constant effect of NIs greater weight than the events associated with them.

So, we have come to a problem. I'm not quite sure what to cover next. I do like the idea of buildings, as Avindian said, but beyond that I think there's not terribly much left to cover.

Any ideas before I move forward in my game?

Talking about Buildings would be good - and I guess that leads into choosing how to spend magistrates as well.

When I did my Vicky 2 tutorial, I found that I thought of a lot of stuff after the fact, as I played. Here are some other things I thought of:

-- Decisions
-- HRE
-- Papacy
-- Westernizing.

You'd need to change countries, obviously, but these are some things that I tend to forget. Maybe a really detailed one on combat, too (if you've not already done one; I don't remember one, if you have).