• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice work so far.

You might want to do something about the modifiers (triggered and permanent) that are available.

Somewhat related to your discussion of the innovative/narrowminded slider-a lot of religious decisions require some degree of narrowminded BUT the effects don't go away if you subsequently move to innovative. Same thing with national decisions that require certain slider settings however the triggered modifiers DO go away when any of their conditions are not met so going too far into free trade loses the effects of the Sound Tolls. Slightly above absolute beginner level but it probably bears mentioning.

Great AAR. I've always avoided playing a trade focused game simply because I haven't really understood those aspect well enough (war mongering is much more straightforward), but now I finally feel that I know enough of the basics to be able to figure it out. I'd love to see some updates about how to use royal marriages and diplomacy to eventually in the long run do some peaceful annexations (as I said, I normally just go in with a huge army kill whatever is needed to be killed, take whatever land I want and tell the rest of the world to mind their own business which sometimes do result in some nice BB-wars:laugh:)

I don't know who, if anyone, might still follow this from time to time.

I, unfortunately, cannot play EU3 for an extended period of time as my ten-year-old desktop finally bit the dust. The laptop is multi-core, and any one individual core is too weak to play the game at any more than an equivalent of speed 2. (If you didn't know, EU3 doesn't have multiple core support)

This means I cannot play and efficiently get screenshots of the situations I need to write the guide beyond this point. I'm sorry for not posting this earlier, I didn't realize how many people actually read this. Please forgive me for that if you've been waiting for an update.

READ THE PART BELOW THIS

I came up with an idea just a bit ago to possibly continue this guide. If you send me (PM, preferably) some pictures of things you want explained, I will do my best to do a write up accompanying those pictures and post it here.

Help me out please, guys.

Have you done something on religion? I need to decide if I am going to keep Catholic, because I am Emperor..not a member, though.. Still playing as Scandinavia, formerly Denmark, with extensive holdings in the Americas, a piece of india (converted to Catholic), all of the Austrian culture group, and some more holdings in europe and north africa.

I am at about 60% core, and 67% catholic.

Intolerance is killing my pop. growth, though. (1% only)

Also : As the emperor of the HRE, when you get the last event in the chain, and inherit all (remaining) HRE states : must you be a member of the HRE yourself? What happens to buildings in the states you inherit?

Have you done something on religion? I need to decide if I am going to keep Catholic, because I am Emperor..not a member, though.. Still playing as Scandinavia, formerly Denmark, with extensive holdings in the Americas, a piece of india (converted to Catholic), all of the Austrian culture group, and some more holdings in europe and north africa.

I am at about 60% core, and 67% catholic.

Intolerance is killing my pop. growth, though. (1% only)

No, I have not done anything on religion. :\ If you give me some pics, especially of Catholic/Protestant/Reformed/Orthodox and their effects, I could do one!

At that point unless you're very narrowminded, it would be very difficult to convert all of your provinces. I would just make sure to enforce religious unity a lot and also make sure to be passing things with your authority after raising relations, it will be easier to enforce Catholicism if all the nations are your vassals (and thus have a base +relationship with you and stuff). Generally it would also be a good idea to increase your SoI in this situation so as to raise your diplomatic skill.

Also : As the emperor of the HRE, when you get the last event in the chain, and inherit all (remaining) HRE states : must you be a member of the HRE yourself? What happens to buildings in the states you inherit?

No, you do not have to be a member yourself. You switch tags to HRE and then inherit (important thing to note is that this particular inheritance does not give you core on all provinces in the HRE, only a few) all remaining members and go to war with those that refused. As for buildings, I unfortunately don't know off the top of my head, but after 5.1 I believe you'll just keep them all.

If you could do it and let me know if you keep all the buildings and such, that would be fantastic. :)

Sorry to say, I am rather narrowminded..
I get something like 1.70 magistrates from SOI, and have like half of HRE vassalized. I have the evil Pfennig (Gemein means evil or bad in German :D ), But I am not sure I want to proceed any further..Especially because of Magistrates.

..i have also been building some armybuildings to keep my cost of manufactories somewhat down..By building for about 1000 gold armybuildings, I have saved about 3000 gold at least on manu's.
But my real crunsh is stil Magistrates - even with over 5 a year. So i am rather interested in if I keep those buildings. If not, I would rather wait for random events to give me cores on my vassals, and diploannex. -Just did that with Styria, 2 provinces, had core on Wienna before, had all buildings except gov. line. (all researched so far, that is..and no refinery :( )
I still need to build up all my colonies in ..well, all my colonies, and they are starting to go core..priority would go to dock and market, I guess

Last edited:
Ack, why is it that every time I discover a great beginner oriented AAR they fade to dust before completion??? Sadness...

Anyway, If you're still interested in doing some topics I would love to hear about buildings... Not just which ones are good, but a strategy of when is the right time to pursue them.

Also, a tutorial on the HRE mechanics and the Holy See...

How about some basics on colonizing...

Using missionaries - when/where/why/how?

Decisions? Religious Decisions? Magistrates/cultural decisions/etc...

I could go on and on... I know this info is out there, in the wiki, guides, etc... but I enjoy your presentation style. It's been informative and interesting.

Thanks and I hope you can find a way to resume this in some fashion...

Ack, why is it that every time I discover a great beginner oriented AAR they fade to dust before completion??? Sadness...

Anyway, If you're still interested in doing some topics I would love to hear about buildings... Not just which ones are good, but a strategy of when is the right time to pursue them.

Also, a tutorial on the HRE mechanics and the Holy See...

How about some basics on colonizing...

Using missionaries - when/where/why/how?

Decisions? Religious Decisions? Magistrates/cultural decisions/etc...

I could go on and on... I know this info is out there, in the wiki, guides, etc... but I enjoy your presentation style. It's been informative and interesting.

Thanks and I hope you can find a way to resume this in some fashion...

I'm not sure if you read my comment just a bit ago or not, but basically the way it is right now I can't play the game. If you send me a series of screenshots on a subject you would like me to write about, I'll definitely do a lesson on them. :)

I just found this, and was catching up. To bad for no multicore support. I can't do screenshots, but would love one on colonization

I Will try to do the screenshots in the evening (12 hours from now) on religion.

I will do:
Map of my kingdom, political and religious
Pies of my religion
The religious decisions available
Papal influence
The modifiers currently influencing me (E.g. Religious turmoil)

What would be missing?

How should I post the pictures? Just in the thread or ???

Lesson X: Hodgepodge

Hello there, beautiful reader. It's been awhile, hasn't it? Indeed. You look better than ever. I was given some screenshots by Gibskov (If you have any screenshots of problems you're having in-game, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PM them to me. Thanks!) so it's time for me to finally stop being lazy and write another lesson.

Now then, time to get started.

An often overlooked feature of the game is the ability to use religious decisions. I know I didn't really find out about these until I had already been playing for quite some time.

RelDecisions.png

What do we see here? Well, this is a screen for religious decisions, as you could probably deduce by context. More specifically, these are the religious decisions that are available to those countries of the Catholic faith. The biggest dog on the block is "Embrace the Counter-Reformation". If you're Catholic, you pretty much just take this decision when you can. There's almost no point in not taking it, except for the fact that certain ideas, like Ecumenism, prevent you from taking this decision. But we're not here to talk specifics, you can figure those out on your own.

No, rather, I wanted to point out the existence of this whole panel itself. Those veterans reading this are probably chuckling to themselves, but I seriously just cannot stress enough that these are a thing. Most religious decisions aren't very good unless you're in a specific position, so it's easy to forget about these, especially if you play a lot of Muslim countries (holy crap their RDs SUCK). But there you go.

Now onto some Imperial politics.

Religius.png

Come the Reformation, the Emperor has basically two choices: Remain Catholic and force all the convertors back to Catholicism OR switch religions and begin forcing Catholic nations to turn. Every nation in the Empire you turn from heresy as Emperor grants you ten Imperial Authority. So, if you're going for an HRE unification, it's often a good idea to switch (just make sure to start patching up your relations with everyone ASAP) as Imperial Authority is needed for reforms as well as helping majorly in holding onto the office.

If you're the Emperor, it's generally a good idea to stay Catholic, UNLESS you're going for reforms, than the extra authority is a huge deal. I couldn't tell you what to go for, but either one is equally strong if played correctly. However, nothing is more fun than watching the sea of yellow evaporate under an encroaching wave of blue. ;)

Sorry for such a short comeback update, but I'm getting a new computer soon and I'll finally be able to play! Won't that be fantastic?