• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jeffreys14b

First Lieutenant
72 Badges
Nov 13, 2003
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Majesty 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
One part of this game I'm finding frustrating is the magic levies. They get defeated in the field and then poof, reappear in their provinces. It turns war into whack-a-mole and we all know how much fun that is. I've been doing this whack a mole for so long, surely all the fighting men in area are DEAD. Let them rest in peace FFS.

Also, disbanding an army in order to raise it again is like cheating.

(an aside. I'm being critical because I like the game.)

One part of this game I'm finding frustrating is the magic levies. They get defeated in the field and then poof, reappear in their provinces. It turns war into whack-a-mole and we all know how much fun that is. I've been doing this whack a mole for so long, surely all the fighting men in area are DEAD. Let them rest in peace FFS.

Also, disbanding an army in order to raise it again is like cheating.

(an aside. I'm being critical because I like the game.)

Do you understand how the levies work?

When you levy the forces they go off and fight, but the numbers begin to replenish back in the home provinces, slowly.
If you disband they go home but depending on where they are and how far from home only a certain percentage will go home. This will be added to the number that have already replenished.

So disbanding and then raising again is a bad thing to do unless the numbers have been totally depleted over a long period of fighting, then you can raise the fresh levies again. Doing it at any other time will actually decrease the number of troops you can field.

Seriously? I've devastated armies and then had them come straight back up from their levies. Then again, that might just be how crazily quickly your levies regenerate. That probably needs a nerf, at least.

While a levy is active, it's home province is still raising troops. So even if that levy was completely destroyed, another one.. though not likely at maximum manpower unless it's a long war.. could be raised right afterward. Unlike other EU games, you evidentally don't get reinforcements constantly trickling into your active levies.. they trickle back into your available levies in the province. I believe your standing armies get reinforced directly, though.

One small side effect of the levies always building up back home is that when you go to disband a levy that you've had active for a long time, in which it's home location has already refilled to the maximum, it says that if you confirm the disbanding of that levy that 0 men will return to the province (since it's already full). I'd like to see an extra notification of that being due to it being full, although it's pretty obvious when you check.

The Reinforcement percentage bonuses, on the higher fort level buildings, increase this rate of replacement in that province.

Seriously? I've devastated armies and then had them come straight back up from their levies. Then again, that might just be how crazily quickly your levies regenerate. That probably needs a nerf, at least.

The levies regenerate while the armies are in the field. If he has had his armies raised for a year or two it's likely he has a brand new one to raise when you beat it.

If I understand the OP correct this i just like CK. The province raises one levy, and once it disbands, based on time elapsed, and the size of the army when it disbanded, a new levy can be raised in the home province again.

I'd its a fair mechanic. While it might still need tweaking as to the numbers. Not sure. Still trying to figure if I would enjoy this game.

If I understand the OP correct this i just like CK. The province raises one levy, and once it disbands, based on time elapsed, and the size of the army when it disbanded, a new levy can be raised in the home province again.

I'd its a fair mechanic. While it might still need tweaking as to the numbers. Not sure. Still trying to figure if I would enjoy this game.

Yes, it's like CK.

Except for your own personal "retinue" standing army, and any ronin armies you hired. Those are always out and automatically receive replacements, I'm pretty sure. Not really sure if your retinues must be in friendly territory to replenish, if they're given penalties to replenishment rate if not, or if it just uses a steady rate no matter the army's location.

The levy replenishment rate does seem a tad fast to me, but I will refrain judgement until I have spent a lot mroe time with the game. It is certainly possible to run out of manpower when the Uesegi come stomping all over your face. I lost 20,000 men, replaced them with another 20,000 and then lost those too.

I think not every loss in battle means the death of your soldiers, some of them are routed, so they can be rise in future...i think

But paradox battles seems rather odd to me. Every ordinary leader would seek an option to retreat if number of his men would fall below half, but not paradox leaders. Maybe it's the japanse fanatism...who knows

Last edited:
Every full regiment of 250 men gets levied. If you only have 249 men those will not be raised or if you have 499 men only 1 regiment will levy. The one magical ability they have is that if you disband a regiment they will zap to their home province in 0 days although if they are levied again their morale starts at bottom. It could still be practical to teleport them in certain situations.

I think not every loss in battle means the death of your soldiers, some of them are routed, so they can be rise in future...i think

If this is true, which might be, some statistics should be displayed: stating how many have fleed, routed, dead, injured, seized, etc. That would give a pich of accuracy to the battles.

[...] I lost 20,000 men, replaced them with another 20,000 and then lost those too.

If those figures are true, then the game is a bit out of reality. Not sure about demography in Japan at that age, but it looks to me that would be quite hard to get 40.000 men in a such a small span of time

Regards

But paradox battles seems rather odd to me. Every ordinary leader would seek an option to retreat if number of his men would fall below half, but not paradox leaders. Maybe it's the japanse fanatism...who knows

They've had lotsa problems in the EU games before, with armies that always retreated before losses got terribly large. That's because you'd get a defeated enemy army moving all over the place (ping-pong armies) that would never really be defeated but kept you constantly micro-managing an army to pursue it, so it didn't cause trouble to you as soon as it had a month to regain it's morale. It was a huge annoyance, and I never want to see it that way again.

They've had lotsa problems in the EU games before, with armies that always retreated before losses got terribly large. That's because you'd get a defeated enemy army moving all over the place (ping-pong armies) that would never really be defeated but kept you constantly micro-managing an army to pursue it, so it didn't cause trouble to you as soon as it had a month to regain it's morale. It was a huge annoyance, and I never want to see it that way again.

The casualties are a bit crazy, but if you just assume that 9/10s of the "kills" are really surrenders/retrat/broken units/et cetera. It is an abstraction. That said I find the armies fighting to the death every time a little odd. As for the manpower numbers, they are just numbers. I would worry about the gameplay not the demographics.

I thought Buddhist Shrines only affected Retinue, not Levies.

Maybe they do. I thought they affected levies in provinces that had a shrine as well. I could be wrong. (And, when I said that, I was playing an early version that came out for reviewers, which did not have some of the stuff of the actual release version.)

I wouldn't mind if all regeneration rates were slowed a bit. Just like in CK, if you raise a levy, fight with it for two years, that's two years of the levy replacing it's losses while you fight abroad. Unless it gets completely wiped out while abroad, it is probably back at full strength when you raise it again.