• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lazer Beam

Sergeant
72 Badges
May 20, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
I can't seem to find where the game is saving my files (screenshots or saved game files). The folders labeled 'saved games' and 'Screenshots' are empty, despite my numerous save files and screenshots. There's nothing under my documents either? Anyone else having this issue? I'm confused.

Edit: Nevermind. I found them finally. Weird place. I would delete this thread but I don't know how (if I can).

For the curious: they were under AppData > Local > Virtual Store > Program Files (x86) > Paradox Interactive > Sengoku

Don't delete the thread. I just asked the same question in the Quick Answers thread. That is the most obnoxious place to store data ever. They should go in the Users/MyUserName folder somewhere, probably in /My Documents/My Games/Sengoku or something.

Why in the world put screenshots in a hidden folder!?!?

Not the OS's fault. If Paradox is using an API call that results in the data being saved to a hidden directory, that is their error.

I just want stated for the record that I'm loving this game, but I'm posting issues to encourage improvement in the next patch.

Not the OS's fault. If Paradox is using an API call that results in the data being saved to a hidden directory, that is their error.

If you install the game in program files, any files that change will end up in virtual store instead. We are working on ways to change this, but for now I recommend to just install the game elsewhere.

It's a UAC thing, isn't it? Stuff in program files isn't modified, rather a clone is made elsewhere which can be modified and used instead. Perhaps there's something we can do to avoid it, but it's a Vista/Win7 feature.

UAC virtualization. You can see if it is enabled for a process in Task Manager. You can also turn it on / off from there as well. Also manifests can turn it off aswell. But don't expect the game to work when you do turn it off. Most likely giving security errors when you try to save the game. It would require some rewriting to use another directory like AppData or My Documents.

Another way would be to change the permissions of the direcory when installing into Program Files. I think Steam does this but I don't know if this is actually a good idea.

That being said, you can use the virtual directory for useful things as well like modding. Turn virtualization on for your text and image editors and you can change things in the game files without actually touching the originals.

Ahh, well, the recommended way is for the game to call the OS to get the user directory to save the games. Best practice is to install the game in Program Files for security - and call the OS to handle where it should be putting the saved user content. The file system since Vista is no longer open and unrestricted.

The concept Microsoft is trying to do here is a good one. The biggest issue is that they don't really enforce it - it would be nice if there were an API call for "Games" and everything would go under a My Documents/My Games folder but instead there are calls for the general user directory and documents so most game devs just toss their saves willy nilly all over the user's My Docs folder, to be mixed in with user's personal stuff. I do think it is going in the right direction, though we're not quite there yet.

Yes, game files are not documents, they should not go there. But Microsoft did add the User\Saved Games folder in Vista. Nobody seems to be using it though.

For Steam Users: the saved games and screenshots are stored under Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sengoku

Last edited:
Just get in the habit of changing the install location of your games to a different folder on your hard drive, other than Program Files. I always highlight "Program Files" in the install listing and just type in "Games" over it, like: C:\Games\Paradox Interactive\Blah Blah. I'll even take out the extra publisher name, usually, unless I have a lot of similar games from the same one, and it's easy to remember the name (such as PI's).

While you'll still get some games saving such things to the Windows 'virtual' folders, just as many will save everything to the install location. My screenshots are saved in the folder, in the installation location. Along with the sweet sweet "Open File Location" rt-click option in Windows, it's super easy getting to them via my desktop shortcut for the game. :)

You'll still want to check "Run As Administrator" on everything, but this will make your life a little less complicated.