• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sandam

Major
47 Badges
Oct 19, 2008
  • Sengoku
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
i noticed that giving daimyo titles to your vassals is completely bad. every friendly character i gave a daimyo title to quickly became obsessed with doing anything to ruin our relations.. what do you think? is it worth giving daimyo titles to vassals or not?

Well you should. Your only able to control so many provinces before you take a penlty for it. In most cases its 5 or 6 not sure if it goes over that though. Also there are a few things you can do to keep you in thier favor, grant them more titles, arrange marrages with them, and send them gifts. If this fails one thing i have done but only if my relations with them cannot be kept up no matter how hard i try is to have them assasinated. Ive done this on leaders as well as people attempting to become heir that wont stop and are too persistant. This game seems to be based more on diplomacy then military tactics because the ai does not put up too much of a military fight.

Firmly in the camp of not giving them out.

The only negative is you have more lords who can vote on the clan succession, which can lead to more pretenders. It seems easily cured by just buying lots of court titles and high honour though.

On the plus side in a realm with no Daimyos at all pretty much everyone supports your heir even if he doesn't have any land at all, and if you do give just your heir a Daimyo title everyone loves him.

pretenders however if they become a problem can be dealt with by ninja assassins. also if you have to many lords that can also be dealt with the same way! only bad thing i would think is if the ninja is caught.

Quick question. How do you give a daimyo title? I have been giving my kukujin's land but they just stay kukujin's. is there specific provinces you give out to allow someone to become a daimyo?

thx.

Firmly in the camp of not giving them out.

The only negative is you have more lords who can vote on the clan succession, which can lead to more pretenders. It seems easily cured by just buying lots of court titles and high honour though.

On the plus side in a realm with no Daimyos at all pretty much everyone supports your heir even if he doesn't have any land at all, and if you do give just your heir a Daimyo title everyone loves him.

yes thats that i think too. now i have 56% takeda in my game. not giving daimyo titles saved me. the only daimyo there is, its Aki daimyo. who somehow survived this game although i completely ignored western Takeda side.

One plus of giving out daimyo titles is that those characters now can field a bigger retinue. Sure, that's a threat if they don't like you, but considering that you need a strong clan to win, I feel it's worthwhile. A few select strong daimyos under me that I know I can keep happy and will vote for my heir.

Quick question. How do you give a daimyo title? I have been giving my kukujin's land but they just stay kukujin's. is there specific provinces you give out to allow someone to become a daimyo?

thx.

i would not give them daimyo titles if i were you, but you can give daimyo titles just like kokujin titles, just it shows province name instead of koris..

One plus of giving out daimyo titles is that those characters now can field a bigger retinue. Sure, that's a threat if they don't like you, but considering that you need a strong clan to win, I feel it's worthwhile. A few select strong daimyos under me that I know I can keep happy and will vote for my heir.

you can never know how his heir will like you, its not reliable. better lots of small armies then few big :) just interface for giving out koris is awfull... i want to see who got less than 5 koris, but for that i have to open character panel.. then go back to liege, sort them by lowest opinion, scrool down till last one i checked.. and repeat till i find one.. its hard to find less then 5 kori vassals who like me least between 60 of my vassals >.> it should just show it in tooltip..

you can never know how his heir will like you, its not reliable. better lots of small armies then few big :) just interface for giving out koris is awfull... i want to see who got less than 5 koris, but for that i have to open character panel.. then go back to liege, sort them by lowest opinion, scrool down till last one i checked.. and repeat till i find one.. its hard to find less then 5 kori vassals who like me least between 60 of my vassals >.> it should just show it in tooltip..

There are improvments on the way for the interface. But regarding forces, you do realise that one guy with one province can increase his retinue size by getting a daimyo title? So by holding on to say five daimyo titles yourself, your clan misses out on five retinue regiments? Perhaps not an enormous difference but in a tight war that might be what tips the scale.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Captain, does holding out on giving daimyo titles indefinitely impact the loyalty of all your courtiers? Such a lord would be seen as badly rewarding his vassals, and thus a bad leader, as making lords of castle domains out of loyal and performing vassals was expected.

Last edited:
Pro-tip, don't give out Daimyo titles to Courtiers without heirs, clusterfuck of magnificent proportions ensues upon death.

who exactly get provinces if its owner dies without heir? i would say they should go back to your liege.. how can some random guy take a province without any legal right? that would be pure revolt..

who exactly get provinces if its owner dies without heir? i would say they should go back to your liege.. how can some random guy take a province without any legal right? that would be pure revolt..
I have no clue, but it certainly doesn't go back to the Liege by default. No heir for the Daimyo title = No courtiers left at all, from what I can tell. It seems to randomly (Or based on some factor unknown to me) pick a courtier out of the Daimyo's court, such as his Master of Arms, if he doesn't have any heirs in his family. It also seems to go through the whole lot of them before the titles default back to the Liege.

Had an Osaka game where I conquered everything above Uesueuueueigigo, with every province (Sinl? Sink? Something beginning with S) set up perfectly for each Daimyo. Then the Daimyo of Mutsu died, another Daimyo somehow inherited his title, and all hell broke lose. Would've been fine, except usueueueueugi is pretty big and doesn't stop invading you just because there's a civil war brewing.

One way of making the decision of granting a daimyo title to your vassal more appealing would be to increase the honour gain from it and decrease the honour gain from granting kokujin titles, e.g. 1 honour for kokujin and 5 honour for daimyo.

This should increase the number of powerful vassals.

One way of making the decision of granting a daimyo title to your vassal more appealing would be to increase the honour gain from it and decrease the honour gain from granting kokujin titles, e.g. 1 honour for kokujin and 5 honour for daimyo.

This should increase the number of powerful vassals.

That would put a real break on conquering and make court titles/shinto even more powerful.

You could make having daimyo vassals give you monthly honour, like in CK. You could also have kokujin petition for titles that you hold and get angry if you refuse them, as the option is already in the game, why not make the AI use it.

At the moment I am just creating hundreds of one province counts by offering a title to a member of the court of the last count I created. Sure the retinues are tiny but I haven't really found that to be a problem yet.

Well, the game should last longer and blobs should have more problems, don't you think?

But I agree about Shinto. Its bonus should be reduced by half while bonuses from other religions should be increased a bit.

EDIT: I changed the bonuses to the following in my game:

shinto_bonus = {
monthly_character_honor = 0.1 # bonus reduced to 0.1 by Cybvep
}

shinto_leader = {
monthly_character_honor = 0.1 # bonus reduced to 0.1 by Cybvep
}

buddhist_bonus = {
global_levy_reinforce_speed = 0.125 # bonus increased by Cybvep
retinue_reinforce_speed = 0.125 # bonus increased by Cybvep
monthly_character_honor = 0.01 # bonus added by Cybvep
}

buddhist_leader = {
global_levy_reinforce_speed = 0.125 # bonus increased by Cybvep
retinue_reinforce_speed = 0.125 # bonus increased by Cybvep
monthly_character_honor = 0.01 # bonus added by Cybvep
}

christian_bonus = {
global_tax_modifier = 0.15 # bonus increased by Cybvep

}

christian_leader = {
global_tax_modifier = 0.15 # bonus increased by Cybvep
}

You could also have kokujin petition for titles that you hold and get angry if you refuse them, as the option is already in the game, why not make the AI use it.
This is a good idea.

You could make having daimyo vassals give you monthly honour, like in CK.
It could get out of hand rather quickly. A one-time 5 honour doesn't sound so bad to me.

Last edited: