Cities in Motion first-aid technical guide

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did you blocked updates of the game on Steam?

On Steam, go to Library, right-click on Cities in Motion, choose Properties. Go to Updates tab (or something like that). In the box choose Automatic updates (or something like that).

It´s very strange behavior. Because we are on patch .22 (on Steam) and you are still on .19. And there is nothing wrong showing in your log.

As said before, register your game and post on Tech Support section, so devs can help you. I don't know what else you could do to solve a problem that doesn't even have an error message.

I tried to install the game on an other PC wit an older update of steam then it works. so i have started on installing steam from an older install file and put it in an other folder on
my PC (the new). i also gonna install the game and copy the city in motion folder from the older computer in to the new, cues the old PC cant play the game.

Hello Forum,

I am brand new and computer stupid. CIM worked fine on my old laptop. My macine crashed and I replaced it with what I thought was an identical model. Now, CIM loads fine but will always crash within 20 minutes of me starting the game. It is very annoying. Any offers of help please to ljs247@hotmail.com

Thanks

Hello Forum,

I am brand new and computer stupid. CIM worked fine on my old laptop. My macine crashed and I replaced it with what I thought was an identical model. Now, CIM loads fine but will always crash within 20 minutes of me starting the game. It is very annoying. Any offers of help please to ljs247@hotmail.com

Thanks

All below can apply to your generic report. You might benefit from this:

- Make sure you have no mods installed. If the game runs without any mod, you will need to install the mods one by one to see which one is the problem.

- Uninstall and reinstall the game.

- Close all programs running in the background.

- Update your video drivers: visit your sound, video, and 3D card manufacturer's websites for the most recently available drivers for the components in your system.
nVidia (GeForce): http://www.nvidia.com
ATI (Radeon): http://www.ati.com

If you already have the latest version of your graphics card driver and the game is still not working, uninstall it and install again the driver that came with the card. Even if the version is old.

- Check if you have installed the latest patch. Click here to see the lastest patch available. To see what version of the game you have, open log_metro.txt which you can find:
on Windows, in your User document folder in the sub-folder Cities in Motion (%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Cities In Motion)
on Mac, in /Users/*username*/Library/Application Support/Cities in Motion

Look at the second line, something like Version: 1.0.21. Go to the portal where you bought the game and download the patch. Or download in Tech Support section, if you have access. If you have Steam version, your game is already updated.

If you are not out of troubles yet, it is a good time to report your problem on the forums.

Asking for help:

Register your game to access the Tech Forum.

Provide your post with:

- an accurate description of the problem
i.e at what point does it crash, does it happen everytime, what do you see...

- Send your DirectX report file or your complete system specs.
From Windows, click Start->Run
In the open box, type DXDIAG
Click the save button to save the file as a text file in your Desktop.
Attach this file in your post or post all content directly in you message.

- the content of log_metro.txt which you can find:
on Windows, in your User document folder in the sub-folder Cities in Motion (%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Cities In Motion\)
on Mac, in /Users/*username*/Library/Application Support/Cities in Motion

- any information the system reports when the crash happens.

Just a bit of bonus info, CIM off steam (as of 09/01/2012 (9th of Jan)) dosn't seem to like my crossfire set up.

2 x hd6850 saphire toxic <--- in crossfire

the rest is unimportant (i think because when i turned off crossfire in the control center it worked)

the error was at start up, it would load the logo's then hang (i had the FPS reader going and it stoped on a random number say 5.008) with crossfire off it boots.

no other errors and its maxing out the FPS (60) so it dosn't matter, just thought some might want to know

Hi,

Just recently I got a problem with my map editor. Whenever I try to save my map the game crashes, it opens window that says:

System memory allocation failed!

GSystem memory management status:
Allocated: 693279305
Reserved: 735199249
Requested: 67108872

and I can close CiM only with task manager. The only thing that changed in the last few hours is that I downloaded the mod diagonal bridges, but I also uninstalled it (my game also saved a couple of times while having it installed). log_metro is clean:

Opened log in "userdata/log_metro.txt".
Version: 1.0.22
initializing FMOD...
[done]
initializing OpenGL-window...
[done]
Loaded language "en_US"
Engine initialization finished
Loading ui...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/AJ_Eckhaus"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/build_addon"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/deko_fahrzeuge"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/dekomensch"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/germany"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/mappack01"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/munich"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/railway_metro"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/stationpack01"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/tokyo"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/ultimateCamera"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/usa"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/vehiclepack01"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/vehiclepack02"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/vehiclepack03"...
[done]
Loading addon "addons/vehiclepack04"...
[done]
Loading addon "userdata/addons/objects"...
[done]
Loading addon "userdata/addons/readme"...
[done]
Loading addon "userdata/addons/scripts"...
[done]
Loading achievements...
[done]
Loading main menu...
[done]
Start map editor "Helsinki real 2"
Loading editor...
[done]
Saving map as "Helsinki real 2"...

My computer:
win7 64bit
i7-2600k, 3,4GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
2 x GTX480 on sli

Please help me fix it somehow, I have over 60 hours spent on creating more realistic map of Helsinki and I wouldn't want it to have gone to waste.

I'll try few more things and report if I find anything helpful.

@Moonlooper: I also get this from time to time. I solve by deleting settings.script in My Documents/Cities in Motion.
But sometimes the map itself get corrupted and the only way to solve it is to get an older saved map. I strongly recommend you to make backup copies of your map. I have a script that will automatically copy the map files to another folder putting the date in the name.

I managed to get out of the trouble by lowering graphics and removing my second graphics card but the problem is coming back. Same info as previously (didn't check if the memory allocation failure numbers are the same), but now it happens also ingame, not only in map editor. It's not currently crashing every single time I save, but maybe every tenth time and thus is still very annoying. And it didn't help for me deleting that settings.script :/

Where does that crash even come from? I shouldn't be running out of memory in this game but can it be that the game doesn't know how to use memory after some point. Like in Skyrim where the game can't reserve more than 4GB ram no matter how much you have. With my understanding towards computer language the game is using (allocated) some amount of ram and wants more (requests) to save the game but since it doesn't use ram after some point (allocated + requested > reserved) it crashes. And is the Gsystem refering to system or graphics system/card?

Or is it something totally different?

Hi,

I've just bought the game as I loved the idea but I've installed it and it's incredibly slow. On reading on here Intel integrated graphics cards are not supported. Is this likely to change as I find this very surprising and annoying especially since the box doesn't state that it's not supported?

Thanks

Hi,

I've just bought the game as I loved the idea but I've installed it and it's incredibly slow. On reading on here Intel integrated graphics cards are not supported. Is this likely to change as I find this very surprising and annoying especially since the box doesn't state that it's not supported?

Thanks

You should be glad the game is even running in your machine. In most cases it doesn't even get to the menu.

Why you think it's surprising? Intel graphics card are not designed to play games. Only old games run in Intel cards and some "modern" games as exception.

I've got a Intel HD graphics card and an I7 chip hence I expected it to run reasonably. Other graphics intense games will run fine on it (FPS games such as Dead Space which I accept is a few years old but the graphics are quite intense and this runs fine). Dawn of War 2 and Retribution run fine on it and they are top down games with reasonable graphics as do Eve Online and Sins of a Solar Empire.

I beg to differ that integrated HD chipset with the I7 aren't designed to play games. I run HOI3 on it fine (with both SF and FTM addons) so hence I'm surprised it won't run.

Ahh well if there isn't any planned support for my system or chipset then I suppose all I can say it this should be made clear on the box as it does not state these are not supported.

I haven't seen the box, so can't say for sure, but the website and steam clearly state the minimum requirements. Are you sure that there is no list of requirements on your box? If it's not there, then that's really stupid...
But still, Intel HD is definitely not for games which have demands for graphics...HOI3 doesn't seem to be a game that would need some superior gfx card, but if you check CiM, it has tons of detailed animations...

Last edited:
Eve Online: 9 years old
Sins of Solar Empire: 4 years old
Dawn of War 2: 3 years old
Dead Space: 4 years old

Cities in Motion: 1 year old.

Even that the age of the game doesn't really say much about how demanding it is (I bet you can play SC2 on Intel) but still it's kind of prove my point.
CiM is heavily demanding on CPU plus graphics card and if this is the first game you are disappointed with your Intel, prepare because this will be more and more common each day. If you like games you must go ATI or nVidia.

Eve Online: 9 years old
Sins of Solar Empire: 4 years old
Dawn of War 2: 3 years old
Dead Space: 4 years old

Cities in Motion: 1 year old.

Even that the age of the game doesn't really say much about how demanding it is (I bet you can play SC2 on Intel) but still it's kind of prove my point.
CiM is heavily demanding on CPU plus graphics card and if this is the first game you are disappointed with your Intel, prepare because this will be more and more common each day. If you like games you must go ATI or nVidia.

I have an unsupported card on my Mac (ATI Radeon X1600) but it works fine with one exception: the menu screen doesn't display the background properly. But the game itself runs peachy.

Not so unfortunately with Europa Universalis (another paradox game), where for some reason the countries are not colored in the maps. Rest of game seems to run fine but something about the texture/shading/whatever used on the maps (and the background of the menu screen in CIM) is not supported with that card.

Read somewhere its actually a problem with the Mac ATI drivers for this card (on a PC the card will work). Little chance ATI will update those old drivers though..

In case anyone was interested :)

My pc is below spec and it works fine with CIM. Slow but it runs. If it can run on the nvidia 9200 it should be fine on other cards as the 9200 is not meant for games.