• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We get VERY close to invading someone in this update. Sadly(?), my largest pop of soldiers is 150 shy of a brigade by the end.

Chapter 7: More Stuff, Except the Stuff we Want

A random stranger enters El Presidente's palace in Salt Lake City today.
El Presidente, always eager to hear from his people, decides to accept his request for an audience.
He is an aristocrat in Deseret, and has a very blunt suggestion.
"El Presidente, while I understand that the state needs money, the people have a much harder time affording the goods they need to survive with these massive tariffs you impose on imported goods. I humbly suggest turning down these tariffs, it may bring the state even more money in the end, and your people will be happier as well."
El Presidente considered the proposal. He was nervous about turning the tariffs so high in the first place. Perhaps lowering them a bit would be a nice experiment. "Thank you for your suggestion, aristocrat. I shall lower the tariffs, though not too much.
DESAAR-7.jpg

As the aristocrat left, El Presidente knew that it was a long-term benefit. He decided that losing a bit of money was alright, as long as his idea picked up over time.

DESAAR2-6.jpg

Now El Presidente was getting impatient. Its been a month already! But his financial advisor advised him to wait at least 2 years before turning up the tariffs. By his calculation, we wouldn't go bankrupt after that time, so El Presidente grudgingly decided against rolling back the tariffs.

DESAAR3-7.jpg

His next issue to worry about was roads, and cities, and the native american population. Wait a minute - Yankee is a language? And Native American Minor is too? What. Regardless, the decision is obvious. Deseret MUST assimilate the natives, and so they will be forced to be fluent in Yankee or die!

DESAAR4-7.jpg

Cool, now we can make guns faster than people did a hundred years ago.

DESAAR5-7.jpg

Cringing, El Presidente once more leaves the tariffs alone.
To distract himself from the loss of money daily, he takes a look around the world, and how colonization of North America is proceeding.
DESAAR6-7.jpg

The Brits have a little more than half way colonized Alberta, part of Canada.
DESAAR7-7.jpg

And the United Statsians have just a little longer before Idaho is considered a colonial state.

El Presidente's dreams make him look to the Pacific for his own colonies. Imagine, Mormon Oceania. He looks at a map of the unclaimed islands.
DESAAR8-6.jpg

Controlling Oceania and Indonesia could be great for his fledgling empire - the population wouldn't be accepted nor primary, but its not like any of his back home are anyway. Of course, the problem of planning colonization is that we'd have to beat the United Statsians from getting there first, and they have more national foci. El Presidente makes note of this - perhaps he and his former masters in Mexico could later teach America a lesson in humility.

DESAAR9-7.jpg

Oh, right. He reminded himself. Need to wait for a few more native americans to decide they want to fight for Deseret.

DESAAR10-7.jpg

Cool, now we can make bullets.

DESAAR11-7.jpg

El Presidente nearly ragefaces. But again, decides to leave the tariffs alone.

El Presidente also takes a look through his officers. An especially good one appears, named William Howard. He makes Napoleon Bonaparte look like George Custer. After all, Napoleon had a very powerful nation behind him. William Howard just has a nation. But you know what, HE MAKES DUE.
DESAAR12-7.jpg

Such a general is the only one worthy to command the entirety of Deseret forces, for he could be the difference between the Bruneians overwhelming our forces or us taking ... 5 casualties in the entire battle. William Howard is instantly awarded a very nice position. No troops to command - yet.

El Presidente gets bored and scrolls around the map and then gasps when he sees this.
DESAAR13-6.jpg

What's going on? Is this normal? Is Russia falling to China? Who started this war? FIND OUT IMMEDIATELY.

Hmm, there are 3 wars going on in the world right now.
DESAAR14-7.jpg

Russia, Krakow, and Serbia are fighting a war against China, and are winning so far. I guess all that Eastern Russia territory is not very important to the Russians. Spain is, like usual, beating up Morocco for no good reason. And Brazil is invading Bolivia. Huh, how is that goin'?
DESAAR15-4.jpg

Brazil is winning, obviously. El Presidente makes a mental note, the Bolivians could make a good ally for when Deseret rules the world. After all, who doesn't want revenge?

DESAAR16-6.jpg

Oh hey, our coal is shiny and squeaky now. El Presidente sets his sights on a new project - Stock Exchanges! Mormon Bankers start immediately devising such a system, it could result in better tax efficiency, which can perhaps help to keep the tariffs down.
DESAAR17-1.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe researching Freedom of Trade could help with those money issues.

Keep at it! Within another ten years, you may have three whole brigades! Once that happens, I propose you ship one off to conquer Hawaii, unless it's in the US's sphere already.

Oh, by the way, what happened to chapters 6-12?

@Prince Of Savoy: Freedom of Trade was the first thing I researched, way back in chapter 1 :D

Derp, I have lots of AARs going on other forums, and one of them is on chapter 12, so ... DERP HERP SHERP

Fixed.

Last edited:
Also if anyone wants a character in this AAR, its definitely available.

I'll put the positions on the front page, you can sign up for them either here or through a PM :)

EDIT: Changed my mind, I'll do that later

Chapter 8: Militarization and Global Events

The Imperial Bank of Deseret creates yet another dreary financial report.
Des1.jpg

The budget still sucks, but El Presidente decides against moving the tariffs back yet again.
Des2.jpg

The production power of Deseret remains unrivaled by all. Only the great industrial might of the Soviet Union could match Deseret. Oh wait, they don't exist yet.
Des3.jpg

Diplomatically, the world is more wartorn than ever. But these wars are the usual run-of-the-mill. Prussia siezing territory that is useless (El Presidente laughingly joked that he would be fully willing to give away Greenland and Iceland to the Prussians) The Brits killing some Afghans, the French deciding to expand their Algerian holdings, and Russia, Serbia, and Krakow are winning the war against China.

The amount of officers in the army is also substantially increasing, and thus leadership is greatly improved. El Presidente remarks that he can now hire as 3 generals a year of varying quality. He picks one right now, even.
Des4.jpg

Obsessed with glory in battle and elderly, his troops will be less confident under his command, but the old man's war stories will give them experience and make them less likely to defect to rebels.

El Presidente gets bored and scrolls around the map randomly again when he sees this.
Des5.jpg

Oh damn, them Prussians managed to form the North German Federation relatively early. They have also jumped to the 3rd most powerful nation in the world - just short of France and the UK, but having displaced Russia and another. El Presidente would hate to be in Austria's shoes right now.

Des8.jpg

Also looks like Russia took some land from China. Coo'.

Meanwhile, Mormon Engineers are so clever and ingenious as to develop two inventions at once! Even the best of German ingenuity and engineering cannot compete with THAT.
Des6.jpg

Our coal production now makes sense. We make slightly more money now. Huzzah.

And we eye Brunei once more. They are allied with Johore - El Presidente is not worried, however. Soon he could field as many as 12,000 men in his Glorious Imperial Army. Every single one more well equipped than the Bruneian or Johorian troops. The action would also make Deseret get noticed - perhaps the British in Singapore will at last recognize Deseret.

Due to his sudden forethought, he hires an Admiral to lead the future Glorious Imperial Navy of Deseret.
Des10.jpg

Have the new inventions sorted out your money worries? It might be tricky to raise an army on what you earn, but I suppose you can turn spending down as soon as you've wiped out the opposition.

Don't think I've seen AI Prussia move as fast as they have in this AAR, and Russia seem to have gone for China pretty early too.

How long until you can raise your first brigade?

@Dewirix: I suspect I can raise a brigade next update, though that's just a wild estimate really.
Chances are, though, once I can raise one brigade, I can raise 2 more within the next month or so.

@Dewirix: I suspect I can raise a brigade next update, though that's just a wild estimate really.
Chances are, though, once I can raise one brigade, I can raise 2 more within the next month or so.

That sounds about right. I'm not sure your finances will bear the weight of more than a single brigade in wartime, especially if you're paying for fleet upkeep too.

How Many Yankees do you have?