• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No, is this dead? D:

No. As I have said before for my other AARs in other boards, I update when I want to, not when you guys want me to. Now this generally means long waits between updates, partly due to procrastination, partly due to being busy with other AARs, partly due to insane shit in my personal life, and partly due to friends wanting to play gaems wit meh rather than read my AARs.

But it's not dead. I finish 90% of everything I start unless I lose the save or something like that.

Chapter ...I dunno: A Bright Future
Part 1

The Mormon Democracy had changed much since its early days of independence.
DerKonig1.png

A mighty Mormon Imperial BAWTAL FWEET (You must say it very fast, with emphasis on the 'aw' in Bawtal, and the 'eet' in Fleet) has been formed, of 3 convoys of Super-Heavy Battleships teleported to the past from Hearts of Iron, in a future where Deseret apparently tries to go on some world-conquering quest and fails rather miserably.

But a fleet is not the entire country, of course.
DerKonig2.png

The Mormon economy continued to increase exponentially. As Immigrants brought with them new skills, tax hogs, and factory workers, the economy found itself at a small deficit but this was something that would fix itself with time. And El Presidente had plenty of time, and money to suffice for now.
A small country, Deseret's exports were rather miniscule.
DerKonig3.png

Timber was Deseret's most produced domestic product. Though just a rare material, timber would be needed by other countries a decent amount. And thus it made Deseret money. It would be a shame if something were to happen to it...

The people of the Mormon democracy were increasingly varied, El Presidente realized.
DerKonig4.png

European immigrants now took up a fairly good chunk of the population. Soon enough, he knew, they would outnumber the Native American minors that had so long formed the majority of the population.

El Presidente noticed that the Grand Imperial Army of Deseret was ready for expansion.
DerKonig5.png

However, he decided that rather than reinforcing the army with more dragoons, he would instead commission normal Cavalry units. They would be very useful and a great boost to Deseret's army.
DerKonig6.png

He also considered eventually making an Imperial Guard, a group of elite troops that would be dedicated to the defense of Salt Lake City and El Presidente himself. Along with a Fort. But that was a major investment, for later.

DerKonig7.png

Switzerland had sent a delegation to Deseret. The Swiss envoy was a rather nice guy. He said that all civilized nations (of which Deseret was 'technically' included in) were invited to Swissland to sign a document, the 'Geneva Convention', which drew out rules for conducting warfare. El Presidente was rather disappointed at first - what was the point of signing it if the nations he would be fighting wouldn't be able too? Johore wouldn't know. Oh well. He teleported himself to Swissland, signed it, and teleported back, because this is Vic2 and presidents can sign documents in other continents without the Panama Canal in just one day.

After a while of agonizing waiting, the third Brigade of the Mormon army was ready for action. It was commanded by Cyrus Young, a young(Whoda thunk it?) and rather lucky fellow who was very talented at the whole general thing. The new brigade was ordered to deploy to San Diego and wait for the ships from Brunei to repair, make the trip back and transport the Cavalry units to their army.
DerKonig8.png

People began to question the Moral stance of Deseret. Of course, moralism was a reactionary trait...
DerKonig9.png

...something that El Presidente wanted to avoid because he was a very liberal president in his eyes. He decided, rather than increasing the amount of people who believe in Moralism, he would make the current ones a bit more conscious. A better decision, perhaps.

DerKonig10.png

With the population of Deseret increasing rapidly, there would soon be little need for the Soldiers national focus, especially with the maxed out military budget. It was time to switch the concerns of the people towards another endeavor - perhaps Clergymen.
DerKonig11.png

The education capability of Deseret was important to El Presidente. The 25% literacy rate would not suffice forever. It was time to make radical changes in the ways of the Education system.
DerKonig12.png

How convenient.

But now it was time to choose something new for Mormon engineers to take a gander at. He found himself between two options.
DerKonig13.png

Alphabetic Flag Signalling, which could help with this whole 'Bawtal Fleet all the way across the world' thing. Or...
DerKonig14.png

Making everyone want to be more Functional, meaning they will learn better. Or something like that.

El Presidente chose Alphabetic Flag Signalling. It was cheaper and would be researched rather quickly. Immediately afterward work would begin on Functionalism.

At last, Deseret numbered 100,000 people!
DerKonig15.png

A rather conservative population, very multicultural with almost even numbers of European immigrants compared to Native Americans. A mostly agrarian and miner workforce, with tiny amounts of Artisans and Craftsmen. And more were arriving each day from that European hellhole.
DerKonig16.png

Not that they arrived very happy. Most of their needs weren't being fulfilled very well.
DerKonig17.png

Except on Tuesdays. For some reason, on one day, it goes from yellow to blue, entirely. Surely the people spend all week looking forward to Tuesday, they get to make up for a whole week with just barely enough food to get by and then suddenly they have massive quantities of it. Fatties. They deserve that week of starvation.

Due to the rising population, Deseret also gained its first industry point.
DerKonig18.png

Hurry for being the 38th most industrialized power in the world! I mean, theres like 125 countries in the world, right? So place 38 is pretttty good. Right?

Let's take a look at how/what our neighbors are doing and stuff.
DerKonig19.png

Mexico is doing fairly well, actually. Rather untypical in El Presidente's experience. They are spot 10, though they frequently climb to place 9 and then down again. If El Presidente cared enough, he might look to see who is competing with Mexico for that spot but... that's lame.
DerKonig20.png

On the contrary, the USA is doing... poorly, compared to its usual self. Perhaps not having about half their land has a lot to do with it. As usual (in my games) Austria is a massive industrial powerhouse. El Presidente noticed with his past experience how he seems to charm Austria into badassery. His playings of a certain board games with Gustav (a board game with a mind of its own for the other countries) revealed how every time he plays Austria does something awesome. The Ottoman Empire still is hanging on the Great Power status, something rather remarkable and impressive. Then there's Bavaria... they've been a great power for how long?

And the top four are the rather typical group of UK, France, NGF and Russia over there. Though Russia usually gets rofl-stomped by China. Usually.

Part 2 soon...

Main reason this chapter didn't get one part was because I have more than 20 screenshots and I'm a goody two shoes, so I will respect the rules and not pretend like "lol i didn't know dat heheheh *laffs*"

The Great Mormon Fleet of DOOM is back! :D

Great update. Maybe you can finally take on the US with that third brigade?

The Great Mormon Fleet of DOOM is back! :D

Great update. Maybe you can finally take on the US with that third brigade?

Well, Deseret hasn't invested much in weapons or tactics, so that third brigade still uses muskets.
However, the Civil war will start soon, and we all know the confederates are a bunch of dumb -foos.

Not sure how the Civil War will go, honestly. USA isn't doing that well compared to usual. Look at Austria's industry, than look at USA's. Something is wrong here.

Perhaps Deseret could... intervene...

Yay, an update! I eagerly await part 2... :)

Chapter ...I dunno: A Bright Future
Part 2

"Deseret's engineers finish their work on the development of the century - PORTABLE FORTS." El Presidente stood before a crowd, demonstrating Mormon ingenuity to some foreigners.
DerKonig21.png

*as the audience is simply awestruck by the very name - PORTABLE FORTS, El Presidente prepares to demonstrate the device itself*
Cradled in El Presidente's hand was the glorious machine that looked like a packed-up lawn chair but bigger and stuff. It was heavy but he was certain within a reasonable doubt that his troops could carry it into battle along with their 2.2kg of other equipment and 220kg of food and water [1], through the jungles, up mountains, and off ships. Reasonably certain.

He threw the machine down to the ground, which triggered its systems to activate. Within moments as clouds of steam emitted from the various chimneys, machine parts moving in totally random directions, and BEHOLD! Like Megatron, the machine formed itself into a massive line of parapets and sandbags inflated with air like balloons.

The audience, many from the Great Powers, were totally amazed by Mormon engineering, but questioned El Presidente's sanity, insanity, and also if the device was mass-produceable or not.
El Presidente only responded with, "Give us more immigrants, and it will be, for your purchase and enjoyment!"

After the demonstration, El Presidente went back to the usual stuff. While the - PORTABLE FORT was a good idea, it was all just a show. Fortunately, the Alphabet wasn't. It was old technology, though, sadly.
DerKonig22.png

He wasn't certain how helpful the Alphabetic Flag Signalling would be if only 25% of the entire population is literate, and a much smaller portion of which composed the sailors, probably less literate. But at any rate, the affect was the same. You only needed one literate person per boat, after all. Unless that person dies.

Anyway,
DerKonig23.png

With a lot of people deciding they might as well become Clergymen (I mean its not like there is a whole lot else to do in Deseret...) it was time to change the people's goals and aspirations and stuff. To what, we don't know, so that point will sit wasted for a while. Efficiency is for losers.

Meanwhile, the great D-Day esque landing on Kuantan begins!
We're tired of waiting for the Johorians' army to weaken or our army to strengthen, its time for war! YEA, METAL GEAR
DerKonig24.png

... I sure hope we know what we're doing.

DerKonig25.png

Well, they seem to scared to attack us anyway, but that fort there is annoying despite its' obsolete technology, it being a castille.

DerKonig27.png

Damn, one of those stupid clergymen decided to be stupid. Oh wait, how typical. What? I said nothing. Anyway, let's make an amendment to our non-existent Constitution that says Clergymen will be controlled. That oughta shut him up.

Months later, El Presidente takes a look at his top bar and sees a 0/1 next to the national focus thing. This is, of course, bad, so maybe its time to use that point.
DerKonig28.png

We need to produce more - PORTABLE FORT s for sale, as it is.

DerKonig29.png

We finish our port in Bintulu, so now our ships in distant Bornea [2] can repair themselves magically.
DerKonig30.png

YAY!

The occupation of Kuantan proceeds apace. Deseret's army is not experienced in besieging forts, but you gotta learn somewhere, right? SUDDENLY... Deseret learns the identity of its true enemy!

DerKonig32.png

THE DANES. DAMN THEM. Damn them and their Danish Delights (or am I confusing with Turkish Delights...). After sending an ambassador to the Dutch, El Presidente learned that Danes and Dutch are actually very different and live on the opposite side of the world from each other and that the cultures are so vastly different and that the names don't start with the same letter at all... it's impossible to confuse those two if you're not thinking, right? ... Right? [3]

Anyway, El Presidente doubts that he can beat the Dutch, so he decides against 'Operation Mormon Fury' and instead continues beating up Johore. LOLOLOLOLOL

And the factory!
DerKonig33.png

Gustav reports the factory employs 1/20th of the population (what would've before been 1/10th...) and that its making a profit. Sweet.

CHECK DIS OUT. OMG REFERENCES
[1] - Take note, that, although being an Amurrikan, I use Metrics. I am therefore WINRAR, not Archive Created by Free Jzip.
[2] - Inside joke. [4] During an MP game of Age of Empires III, we were playing the Borneo map. With voice chat. I said 'Bornea' by accident instead of Borneo, in a hillbilly accent. ... Unfortunately that is probably not as funny to you as it is to me.
[3] - It is a common stereotype, besides not knowing the metric system, that us Amurrikkans confuse the Danish and Dutch. I not only wanted to provide a possible reason for this, but also I wish to say that as an Amurrikan I have yet to meet someone here who has confused the two. Jus' sayin. However, El Presidente is a Mormon Deseretian, not a United Statsian, so his confusion is... justified.
[4] - Inside jokes are necessary in an AAR your friends and woman are reading. Don't like it? Deal wit it. Tis only a couple...

Last edited:
Long time lurker, posting to thank you for writing this mostly-funny (see below) AAR, it's always a hoot trying to take over the world with tiny backwaters like Deseret.

Damn, one of those stupid clergymen decided to be stupid and gay. Oh wait, how typical. What? I said nothing. Anyway, let's make an amendment to our non-existent Constitution that says Clergymen will be controlled. That oughta shut him up.
I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't use the word 'gay' as an insult.

Thanks, and no problem.

Anyway, Deseret is now rank 36 or so. We are making great leaps and bounds of progress and we may hit Secondary Power soon... with a little luck. Our population is increasing exponentially thanks to the immigrants, proportionally to our economy and military strength. But I'm not sure where to go after Johore. Atjeh? But where after Atjeh? I'm not strong enough naval wise to challenge anyone else in that area - if they have even 1 Frigate I think they can beat my 3 transport clippers (correct me if I'm wrong)

I do intend on colonizing Africa, that was one of the goals of the AAR stated earlier... Secondary Powers can colonize, but I don't think we can get the required techs soon enough to get a respectable chunk of Africa.

El Presidente must think ... and think hard ... on the next course of action...

Awesome AAR very hilarious. The helplessness of Deseret makes it all more comical. Keep it up!

Is there any Omani land up for grabs in Eastern Africa? If you're planning on colonizing the continent, it would be an excellent (and easy) place to start with a quick conquest. Otherwise, it might be necessary to conquer one of the weaker Arabian countries just to secure ports in range of Africa.