• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

novapaddy

War-Father
103 Badges
Aug 26, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • East India Company
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Iron Cross
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
Tanks a comin...

DIRECT LINK to download page: (It's a few pages further on...)
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...d-Upcoming-2D-Sprite-Mini-Mod-for-DH/page5#91

I've always played HOI games using counters. Sprites never excited me. Looking at a map with vanilla sprites was like looking at a plate of worms, all twitching, made me feel uneasy, and I found it hard to concentrate and think of a "strategy" with all that motion going on...

Up until now, to make sprites, you had to do 3D modelling etc etc. Everyone followed the same path, no-one thought of making 2D sprites for a 2D map? :eek:

3D sprites mostly, are blurred, animation is poor (the turret "twitches"). Some are excellent of course. But it's a niche effort, few have had the time to bother.

Today I present my 2D sprites. It's a wake-up call to the DH player masses out there. You too can mod sprites. Just draw, and drop it into the game. It's really satisfying to see your work in-game.

I've completed these so far: I'm not ready to post a full Mod yet. But hopefully soon...

Can I add: I cannot draw. I'm not an artist. These tanks are the first things I've EVER drawn. So don't let this stop you from trying it, ok!

Last edited:
Looks good (and a lot of work). I realize it says "tanks" but any thoughts for something similar for artillery (SP and Field)? Much more work though. I like that I can easily identify the different types. It's much better than standard NATO. Looking forward to more. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

This is a very unique approach. I've never thought of 2D Sprites for this game. Now you have me curious about top-down sprites; like the ones that were used in the Steel Panther games. I may have to dust off my old game and see if I can extract those graphics.

Of course you're not stuck with just ONE sprite to represent A DIVISION ... 3s, 4s, 5s even when they fit in...

Panzer III's on patrol...

10.5cm "Dicker Max" :

This looks realy cool.

Hmm. You've piqued my interest, and since I'm currently working with 2064 I hadn't decided whether to develop sprites, or just extensively modify counters a la Fallout... and now a third way appears. I think the only thing that bugs me, is they're directionless. Obviously they face left or right, but they cannot switch to suit the occasion...

May end up sticking with counters, like the grognard I am.

I love it :D I'd prefer one sprite per division, but it's not a big deal.

Thanks for showing interest and your encouraging comments, gives me a little lift.

1 or more sprites, well obviously when I drew the sprite, I made one, and then just copied and pasted to make more.. so I can always give the player a choice.. he can use the original sprite, or the multi-sprite (new term created). I will include both in the mod and you can choose. Would mean simply copying and pasting your choice into a folder.

Edit: currently Panzers 1, 2, 3 are all in 5s and 4s, Panzer 4 is x 3, Panther tank is 3 I think and Tiger x 2 and Tiger 2 also by 2, so my idea was as the tanks get more powerful, to have fewer on display. Dicker max unit will be single... my reading said that they only ever made 2 of these?

MartinBG: support vehicles .. hadn't thought of that... hmm I'll look into that. Any particular type of vehicles in mind? Do you mean Mech, half-tracks?

KaiserMuffin: Yes they do face left and right. They do have "animation" in that their direction is clearly indicated, and Attacking too, but no they won't turn... well I thought of a "frontal" and "from the back" facing for North and South... but I was undecided.

KaiserMuffin: Yes they do face left and right. They do have "animation" in that their direction is clearly indicated, and Attacking too, but no they won't turn... well I thought of a "frontal" and "from the back" facing for North and South... but I was undecided.

Could you post a .gif showing?

I will, later today. You see, on the scale I'm using, the front and back "elevation" are tiny.. half the side elevation, and not very interesting to look at. But I'll get you one for later. I've just been doing the Grosstraktor1, SturmPanzerWagon and NbFz6 for Mod33 (thinking ahead). That's Germany done except for Infantry.. I'm using the Models from the game for "people" figures... so in the OOB you'll see the pic of the INF or GAR or whatever, and on the map, you'll also see the same pic. Ties it all together I think?

Won't be for them all, as I've a nice idea (imo) for other stuff, to create a "mood". ??

edit: I have thought of asking Francesco can I use his excellent illustrations instead of having to draw them or "copy/draw", as I'm getting the images on the web and giving my interpretation of them. But actually the drawing is quite fun to do and I'm settled on that now. And I do draw some from scratch, and getting better the more I do... But THAT would be a good idea for someone.... ?

edit 2: This is not MY mod, it's an encouragement for other people to get involved in modding... and this is an easier path ... that's all.

Last edited:

KaiserMuffin: This is the process I'm using.. after much trial and error.... no matter how good my original web image is...(and there's lots out there):

By the time I reduce it, and then bitmap it (24bit), I get this "mush":

Which I then draw out, using the original as a guide:

I'm sure you'll agree that Front and Back elevations will not work?

And I prefer more then one. :D
A tank + support vehicle(s) look better IMHO :p

Noticing on other posts, the new brigade possibilites for making up divisions, possibly in a new DH upgrade/patch?

So I tried it out:

Panzer 4 mit Jagdpanzer 38(t): and Panzer V mit Sturmgeschutz IV:

and where they come from:

Nice work! I'll be following this with interest.

Could you show us how the north and south versions look scaled down on the map?, I'm not yet convinced that they wouldn't be OK.