• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My siege has been stuck at 8% for a couple years, despite having an army larger than the (pretty large - level 4 I think) castle I am besieging. Is this a bug, or just going really slowly? I have about 5000 men, they have 3250 or so in the garrison at the start - don't remember exactly because I tried a foolish assault.

How many of those 5000 are infantry/ashigaru?

How many of those 5000 are infantry/ashigaru?

2250. (And on loading up, I was actually at 4000 men...) That might explain it - I know in EU3 cavalry helped with sieges, but you couldn't assault with them. Do they just not help at all in Sengoku?

EDIT: That probably did explain it. I added just enough more infantry to have more than the defenders and the siege started moving again.

Last edited:
2250. (And on loading up, I was actually at 4000 men...) That might explain it - I know in EU3 cavalry helped with sieges, but you couldn't assault with them. Do they just not help at all in Sengoku?

EDIT: That probably did explain it. I added just enough more infantry to have more than the defenders and the siege started moving again.

Actually, cavalry don't help at all with sieges in EU3. What you need is 1k infantry/level of the defensive fortification, for sieges to progress. The calculation uses current strength also, so if you lost enough troops due to attrition or failed assaults or anything that brings you below that level, the siege stops progressing. Cavalry was used only to fight the field battles and chase down routing troops, you never wanted to keep it around at sieges.

Actually, cavalry don't help at all with sieges in EU3. What you need is 1k infantry/level of the defensive fortification, for sieges to progress. The calculation uses current strength also, so if you lost enough troops due to attrition or failed assaults or anything that brings you below that level, the siege stops progressing. Cavalry was used only to fight the field battles and chase down routing troops, you never wanted to keep it around at sieges.

Cavalry do help with sieges in EU3, they just aren't able to assault like birdboy said.

Quick question (for Paradox): is Sengoku a field test for Crusader Kings II engine? Because obviously CK2 will be Sengoku in different setting (map, graphics, dynasty names) minus seppuku button.

Quick question (for Paradox): is Sengoku a field test for Crusader Kings II engine? Because obviously CK2 will be Sengoku in different setting (map, graphics, dynasty names) minus seppuku button.

Even though both have character focus, I believe they will be VERY different games. Crusader Kings II, from what we've seen until now, seems to have many more layers of mechanics inside it, this fact alone should make the game feel (and play) a lot differently.

Religion, for instance, will be a totally different factor in CKII.

That said, probably for the "can we run x number of characters in y provinces on our customers machines" kind of projection it will probably be very useful. On the other hand, for the "players play on average speed 4, standard game duration is x" kind of question, it is another matter.

The fact that Sengoku takes place in just one area of the globe vs Europe in ck means they could concentrate more energy on this one, and I assume that they are similar from the programmers point of view so patches could come faster if that is so

Can you control the retinue armies? I had a big important battle going on with my levies but the retinue armies were doing a tour of the enemy provinces, not seiging or anything, but all split up and wandering around so when the enemy army went around he just mopped them up. I couldn't click on them and they weren't selected by the drag box thing. Can I do anything with them?

Can you control the retinue armies? I had a big important battle going on with my levies but the retinue armies were doing a tour of the enemy provinces, not seiging or anything, but all split up and wandering around so when the enemy army went around he just mopped them up. I couldn't click on them and they weren't selected by the drag box thing. Can I do anything with them?

The only retinue you can control is your own. When you say the retinue armies were "split up", could that be because they belonged to different vassals?

The only retinue you can control is your own. When you say the retinue armies were "split up", could that be because they belonged to different vassals?

Yeah they were, I was hoping to control them, but they were vassals. Bit of a shame, if they'd pitched in I coulda won that battle :( Oh well, at least now I know not to rely on them. Thanks.

If i start out with a 0 relationship with the religious factions, how do i get one eventually???

Your religious dedication is based on the number of religious buildings that you personally control divided by the number of provinces that you control/belong to your vassals. Thus it is very hard to be very religious if you are the leader of a giant clan, even if all 5 or your provinces have a temple. The vassals that like you are meant to build religious buildings that you favour, but they are pretty expensive.

Is there any way I can listen to the soundtrack outside of the game?

Visit C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Sengoku\music or whatever folder you installed your game in, they are all in mp3, so you can add them to your music player.

- edit -

This is for the full game, never tried the demo so it might be different for it.